Deputies: Grandmother killed by dog while babysitting

Google it.
It happens all the time. Especially with pits and chows. The info is out there.

Look at how many kids have been killed by their "sweet" pits who never showed any aggression.

And, might I add, I have not disrespected you and will not be talked down to.

Unless you have some sort of vet or animal behavior degree, I'd say we are both about equally qualified to give opinions here.

Number one.

Children should never be left alone with a dog capable of killing them. I've witnessed many children suffer dog bites and nips. Every single time the child was doing something wrong. Every single time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree there is always a sign of a dog being distressed, or upset before an attack. They never just snap and attack, it's usually misinterpretation from the person who didn't read the signs that an attack was coming.

I have to agree there is always a sign of a dog being distressed, or upset before an attack. They never just snap and attack, it's usually misinterpretation from the person who didn't read the signs that an attack was coming.

I've seen a Rottie go up and bite a toddler's face out of the blue. It bled but no deep wound noted because the owner responded immediately and was very closeby (arms length).

I've also never seen a dog "just snap" and attack someone. I have 2 pit bulls, a German shepherd, and a lab, plus a cattle dog foster dog. I've trained dogs for 52 years. I mostly train big breeds, commonly known as the more aggressive breeds. My female pit bull (84 pounds) loves everyone and is gentle, patient, and I can't imagine her ever hurting anyone. She works as a therapy dog. My male pit (82 pounds) is dog aggressive and can be aggressive towards a person who he perceives to have a weapon. Also, if he were in fear from someone he would try to protect himself. I muzzle him whenever I take him off our property and at home he is kept in the house or in the yard with a 6 foot high fence and the gates locked. He loves most visitors but I watch him closely and never leave him alone with one. My German shepherd is friendly to everyone and I also use her as a therapy dog. She acted a little timid the last time she worked at the old folks home though, so I haven't taken her there since. It was the first time she ever acted that way. (She's 5 years old.) My lab is friendly to everyone and she has an obedience degree and works as a therapy dog. Dogs usually have a reason for what they do. And if a dog is going to bite or attack, there are usually some red flags if a person is alert to them. I have only seen one dog that would suddenly attack with no warning or reason. It was a dog in our rescue and the rescue would have put it down but its foster mom adopted it and hired a dog behavior expert to work with it so it would be safe to have around her family. She keeps it away from other people and it is fine with her, her husband, and her kids. The dog would be dangerous to anyone else. The pit bull that killed the babysitter grandmother must not have seen her as a pack leader who was in charge. Dogs attack weak energy not pack leaders.
Aggressive breeds need to know there is a firm pack leader in charge and that they are NOT in charge. My male pit bull used to have to be sedated unconscious for anyone to cut his nails because he would bite anyone who tried. Three people working together at the vet couldn't get a muzzle on him. I spent 4 months doing behavior modification with him and now anyone can cut his nails. He will hold his front paws up one at a time for his nails to be cut and then he will lay down and put his back feet up so the back nails can be cut. When he was 4 months old, my husband and I together using all our strength couldn't hold him down on the floor for a time out. Now I point to the floor and tell him to lay on his side and put his head down and he does. When we bring home a new foster dog, the male pit wears a muzzle for a couple of days and drags a leash. Then once he accepts the new dog he is totally safe with it (but I don't leave him alone with it). He's great with all of my dogs and cats. You have to know your dog and use common sense.

I've seen a Rottie go up and bite a toddler's face out of the blue. It bled but no deep wound noted because the owner responded immediately and was very closeby (arms length).
You are reading it from a human view point though, from a dog view point the person/toddler did something to provoke the attack. It may seem out of the blue, but always on a deeper look it it's never an unprovoked attack. Humans and Dogs communicate differently. The toddler might have moved in a way or looked at the dog in away that was threatening. That's not unprovoked.

You are reading it from a human view point though, from a dog view point the person/toddler did something to provoke the attack. It may seem out of the blue, but always on a deeper look it it's never an unprovoked attack. Humans and Dogs communicate differently. The toddler might have moved in a way or looked at the dog in away that was threatening. That's not unprovoked.

Agreed, and dogs shouldn't be around toddlers if they have zero experiences being around young

children.

I've seen more than my fair share of toddlers abuse dogs. The owners will say...oh she a great dog, the brat can pull her tail, ears, lay all over the dog and the dog just lays there. I want to slap the crap out of the owner. Typically they're the ones that claim, the dog was never aggressive before....it was unprovoked ...blah blah....

I can almost remember - well, via hearing many re-tellings - my family dog growling at me in my crib. He'd been there eight years as their baby and I was the shiny new thing - an only child he'd not expected at all. So precautions of course were taken. We didn't become buddies till I could sit in my highchair and spill food on the floor; he loved that, and ate it. No more growling or long looks.

I guess I should have my years of breeding Chows verified. I'll email Tricia. I can be an expert? :p

Yes Chows and Pits can be aggressive. Yes- for chows and other dogs that have not been bred specifically to fight- they can snap. That cute lil terrier your hairdresser carries in her purse can just one day decide to be lethal.

As I write this I have a 14 month old Cream Female Chow ( who is in heat by the way :banghead:) laying at my feet.

We have to remember a few things-
  1. DOGS are ANIMALS. THEY used to have to kill their food.
  2. Just because they said it was a Pit does not make it a pit. The press/LE likes to label them as Pit Type Dogs.
  3. Not everyone can handle a dangerous breed or should try.
  4. My dog MUST know that we are in charge. And we do this with non abusive training methods.

Having said that I would NEVER leave a kid alone with this dog. I would never have someone in my house to stay that was not 100% familiar with her and I knew - because of past observed interaction- could control her. Or that might treat the kids in a way I would not.

Yes a dog can just snap. They can feel bad,have an off day, have enviromental changes and BOOM.

Sorry but cute and cuddly fido is an animal With animal instincts and behaviors.

I can almost remember - well, via hearing many re-tellings - my family dog growling at me in my crib. He'd been there eight years as their baby and I was the shiny new thing - an only child he'd not expected at all. So precautions of course were taken. We didn't become buddies till I could sit in my highchair and spill food on the floor; he loved that, and ate it. No more growling or long looks.

The irony here is that although we never left our kids as babies alone with our chows, you had to have the dogs approval to pick up the baby! And if one cried and you were not right there! Oh the pacing,the looks of disdain, the huffing!

I am not "reading" anything......I stated a fact. The child was not near the Rottie, was just trying to walk a little and whamo! The Rottie approached, gave her a snip on the cheek. I saw the whole thing. It was startling to everyone that was there.

I am very familiar with dogs. I must add that this was not my Rottie or toddler.

I am not "reading" anything......I stated a fact. The child was not near the Rottie, was just trying to walk a little and whamo! The Rottie approached, gave her a snip on the cheek. I saw the whole thing. It was startling to everyone that was there.

I am very familiar with dogs.

So this well socialized, normally perfect dog walks across a room to bite a toddler on the cheek?

Sometimes a dog thinks it "owns" a certain person or more than one person. There are dogs that will bite if someone gets close to "their" person. The grandmother could have reached out to touch one of the children that the dog felt it "owned" and it could have gone after her for that reason. Did the grandmother have bite wounds or just neck and spinal injuries? I was wondering if the dog had been biting her or if it just knocked her down and jumped on her causing the injuries. How old was the grandmother? An older person can be fragile and hurt by being knocked down and stomped on even without bites. I once had a fox terrier who would bite anyone who tried to touch me and my friend had a small dog that would bite anyone who tried to touch her. That is an example of the dog "owning" a person instead of the person being the pack leader in charge and the dog the follower.

So this well socialized, normally perfect dog walks across a room to bite a toddler on the cheek?

Yep, it appeared that way.....everyone was quite alarmed by it. Once again, not my Rottie and not my toddler.

The only dog I've ever seen "snap" was our old poodle, but his cancer had either spread to his brain or he had dementia, we never figured out which. He would be fine and then if you walked by him he got a totally different look and would go out of his mind and attack.

Article said they only had the dog 4 years but then again we don't know how old the dog was when they got him.

I would also lean toward grandma making a sudden move (a fall?) in the direction of a child and the dog went into protective mode. We'll never know. I hope someone thought to have an autopsy done on the dog--it would be interesting to see if there was a medical problem.

A dog can also bite out of jealousy. When I got married, my poodle who had been with just be up until then got very jealous, and he got even more jealous when I had children. He wanted all the attention to himself so he resented new people being in my life. He didn't bite but he acted out in other ways to show his displeasure. The Rottie who bit the child on the cheek might have been jealous of the child and the attention it was getting.

My friend who breeds, owns, trains, and shows Akitas in the showring told me about the time that her veteran ***** was not liking a judge, for no reason known to humans. She had a hard time with her that day. The ***** was getting real snippy and growling. My friend is very experienced and even she felt uncomfortable.

She preferred to make sure I was well behind her when going around the showdog ring and not to get as close as what we all consider normal spacing. Her Akitas could get aggressive.....and those were her own words.

I believed her.

If dog were human, killing a child for looking at the dog funny certainly wouldn't fly.

Only once did I see a dog -snap-aka Go red.
An abused German shepherd that we'd rescued. He did indeed snap one night and attacked me.
Could darn well of killed me if I hadn't been lucky enough to escape.
Yes, we put him down. Very hard and sad for us.
However, I nearly immediately went out and got a new German Shepherd. He is one of the greatest loves of my life.
I've owned shepherds since I was 5 years old. About 11 of them now. Never had a problem except this one poor dog.
Anyway, yes, he snapped. It's rare IMO, but it can happen.
I feel awful for this poor family.
Wish there was more info.

QUOTE=SpriteGal;8715801]I have to agree there is always a sign of a dog being distressed, or upset before an attack. They never just snap and attack, it's usually misinterpretation from the person who didn't read the signs that an attack was coming.[/QUOTE]

What? I'm not getting what you are trying to say??

What I am trying to say is that dogs can snap and kill a human.
And giving excuses such as the dog doesn't just snap because maybe the human looked at it the wrong way doesn't fly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back