Dr. Lynne Fenton, psychiatrist treating JH-BACKGROUND INFO

What was posted about school not be allowed to contact parents of an adult student was accurate. Student's rights are protected by FERPA.
Apparently there is an exception that the school is allowed contact the parents if he is considered a threat.
And by the way, we don't know that the school didn't contact them.

"Are there any exceptions to the restrictions limiting the release of student information?

There is a health and safety exception to FERPA regulations. If a student is considered a threat to himself or to others, or there is a need to protect the health and safety of the student for some reason, information may be shared with parents. A school may also disclose to parents any violation of the use or possession of drugs or alcohol by students under twenty-one. An important note here is that the law allows, but does not require, such information to be released to parents. School policies may vary widely regarding parental notification policies."
http://www.collegeparents.org/membe...what-ferpa-means-you-and-your-college-student

Yep, no real leak here.

So they are one in the same?

What a way to renew a headline. Sneaky, Sneaky news people!!!!:maddening:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21251572/james-holmes-doctor-went-cops-abc-news-says

A psychiatrist who treated suspected movie-theater killer James Holmes reported unspecified concerns about him to a University of Colorado police officer before the July 20 attack at the Century Aurora 16

It was not clear what the police officer who was contacted by Fenton did with the information, ABC News reported.

Sources told ABC News that the officer — who was not identified in the report — recently was interviewed by Aurora police detectives with an attorney.

I thought this was 'new' news. I wasn't aware that we knew, for fact, that Dr Fenton had broken "Dr/Patient confidentiality" and reported JH to the University Police Dept. Color me :confused:

I think the news article recycled the article from a few days ago about the dr. telling the BETA team her concerns about JH. The Univ police is part of the BETA team.

Now the headline says the dr. told a cop.
If you click on the article and read it......it actually says she told a univ. cop.......so really it means she told BETA, which was reported on a few days ago.

I don't know:waitasec:

I didn't think about the proof of dr/patient confidentiality. Yes, I think that is important information to know. Thanks.

Correct, rolling.

To the best of my recollection & understanding, all we knew before was that Dr. Fenton had contacted some members of the BETA team. Supposedly, there are various and assorted people making up the team, to include someone from the University Police Department. So, at least in my mind, it was vague, as to which members of the BETA team that may have actually been contacted by Dr. Fenton, prior to JH withdrawing from school.

Now we know she did indeed contact the UPD, with concerns about JH.

I think. lol MOO

I see what you are saying now, Liz. I dug a little deeper and found this.

In a written statement to ABC News, however, the university said campus police officers are "frequently involved" in meetings of the university's Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment (BETA) team.

The statement went on to say that police involvement with threat assessment "could include security matters, badge access, background checks, wellness checks, criminal investigations and referrals and outreach to other law enforcement agencies."

An attorney for Fenton declined to comment.

Fenton would have had to have serious concerns to break confidentiality with her patient to reach out to the police officer or others, the sources said. Under Colorado law, a psychiatrist can legally breach a pledge of confidentiality with a patient if he or she becomes aware of a serious and imminent threat that their patient might cause harm to others. Psychiatrists can also breach confidentiality if a court has ordered them to do so.

"For any physician to break doctor-patient confidentiality there would have to be an extremely good reason," said Dr. Carol Bernstein, a psychiatrist at NYU Langone Medical Center and past president of the American Psychiatric Association.

http://gma.yahoo.com/james-holmes-p...eks-movie-005231424--abc-news-topstories.html

Correct, rolling.

To the best of my recollection & understanding, all we knew before was that Dr. Fenton had contacted some members of the BETA team. Supposedly, there are various and assorted people making up the team, to include someone from the University Police Department. So, at least in my mind, it was vague, as to which members of the BETA team that may have actually been contacted by Dr. Fenton, prior to JH withdrawing from school.

Now we know she did indeed contact the UPD, with concerns about JH.

I think. lol MOO

Yup. It's new news to me also. We didn't know who she relayed her concerns to. Now we know that UPD were aware and perhaps his parents also.

Of course, we'll have to wait for confirmation from real sources but as it stands right now, it's not looking good for the University.

:moo:

I thought this part of the article were interesting.

They said, however, that the officer was recently interviewed, with an attorney present, by the Aurora Police Department as a part of the ongoing investigation of the shooting.
Before, we'd heard that the PD hadn't spoken to many of the parties.

And another version of the article:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31335998/detail.html

Fenton contacted the campus police only to find out if he had a criminal record. It was a separate contact.

DENVER -- The psychiatrist treating accused theater killer James Holmes called the University of Colorado police department six weeks before the shooting, asking for a background check, sources told CALL7 Investigators.
Multiple sources familiar with the investigation tell CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia that in first 10 days of June, Dr. Lynne Fenton was so concerned that Holmes, whom she was treating, might be a threat to others that she called the university's Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment, or BETA, team. She also contacted the campus police department trying to find out if Holmes had a criminal history.

I would be interested in knowing more about the Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment team (BETA), though that information might not be available at this time. I am curious about the mission of the team and its stated guidelines.

I imagine that "threat" in the team name refers certainly to written or stated threats that cause concern but are not of the level that would obligate one to report the threats to LE. However, since the team name includes"behavioral evaluation", I wonder if the focus of the team also extends to include the posing of a threat, in the more generalized sense, to self, others, and/or the educational process.

Dr. Fenton made separate calls to speak about JH with several members of the BETA team during the first ten days of June.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nation...ist-called-threat-team-before-aurora-shooting

To me, the dates of these calls would be key, given that JH dropped out of his program of studies on June 10. If Dr. Fenton made the calls during the first few days of the month of June, for example, why did the team not just go ahead and meet? The mere fact that Dr. Fenton, with all of her professional background and credentials, was calling this student to the attention of others on the team, if even informally by phone, might suggest that it would have behooved the group to convene.

Seems to me a smooth-functioning team of this nature would have a guideline in place specifying that it get together within a set period of time (2-3 days from the date of expression of concern, for example) to discuss the issues at hand. True, these professionals are busy people, but evaluation of a threat, in whatever sense of the word, could be prioritized imo.

I think it would "look better" now (hindsight being 20/20) had the team met---IF there was time for it to have done so before JH withdrew from the school. It might not have changed a thing, but at least the team that Dr. Fenton helped to establish in 2010 for the purpose of intervention would have been on record as having mobilized.

I do not remember where I read this, but she is NOT known to keep good records. (that as I know it is a habit hard to change).
IMHO the records she may have are not accurate, just like snippets.
So if anyone is ever looking to review for a case GOOD LUCK... :(

From the denverchannel article in the media thread:

"Multiple sources familiar with the investigation tell CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia that in first 10 days of June, Dr. Lynne Fenton was so concerned that Holmes, whom she was treating, might be a threat to others that she called the university's Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment, or BETA, team. She also contacted the campus police department trying to find out if Holmes had a criminal history.
In doing so, sources say, Dr. Fenton had to take the serious step of revealing Holmes name to the police for the purpose of trying to ensure the protection of others."

Thank you IBN

WRONG MOVE - She needed to have him hositalized.
She knew that. The U is covering it all up.

I know this case will not come up for a long time.
But I am itching to read anything on her, her notes on him, her observations etc....

Not sure which is really the appropriate thread to post this.

The Denver Channel is reporting that Dr. Lynne Fenton had consulted with two professions colleagues about JH.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31374554/detail.html

Some media reports say that she contacted three colleagues. Don't know if they mean the Threat team.
The University of Colorado psychiatrist treating Aurora movie theater shooting suspect James Holmes had contacted two professional colleagues at CU about Holmes.

Breaking the confidentiality usually means imminent threat.
Her actions broke doctor-patient confidentiality, Ferrugia reported. The specific nature of her concern is unknown.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/22/us-usa-shooting-denver-psychiatrists-idUSBRE87L02120120822

Accused Colorado gunman James Holmes, charged with killing 12 people in a movie theater rampage last month, saw at least three mental health professionals at the University of Colorado before the shooting, a CBS News affiliate reported on Tuesday.

If the above is true, we should be looking at the University, not Fenton. How could all of this attention toward Holmes fall through the cracks?

…don't know if this one has been posted or not, if so, pls delete...

http://m.thedenverchannel.com/w/news/story/71515193/

Sources: Holmes' Psychiatrist Declined Mental Hold
Aug 26, 2012 10:49 p.m.

DENVER - In a phone conversation about accused murderer James Holmes, A University of Colorado police officer discussed putting Holmes on a mental health hold in June, but his psychiatrist, Dr. Lynne Fenton, declined, sources told CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia.

…

Sources familiar with the investigation say Fenton made the calls to the BETA team, including the CU campus police officer, on June 11, the day after Holmes submitted paperwork to withdraw from the university's neuroscience Ph.D. program. The next day CU officials cancelled Holmes' security card.

Apparently, no one discussed Holmes as being a threat until after he submitted his paperwork to withdraw….

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back