GUILTY Dubai - Ibolya Ryan, 47, US teacher, stabbed to death, Abu Dhabi, 1 Dec 2014

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — An American school teacher was stabbed to death in a public restroom at a mall by a suspect wearing the traditional black robe, full-face veil and gloves commonly worn by local women throughout the Arab Gulf region, local police said Tuesday.

A statement posted on the Abu Dhabi Interior Ministry’s website said the victim was stabbed Monday with a sharp tool, which has been confiscated by police. The statement said the American woman was 37 years old. Her name has not been made public.

The victim had 11-year-old twins who are now in the custody of police until their father, who is the victim’s ex-husband, arrives from abroad.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/03/us-teacher-in-dubai-stabbed-to-death-by-veiled-attacker/

I've been following this story and am unclear on a couple things. The video is absolutely chilling to watch....the background music makes it even more sinister as you watch this robed figure enter this public restroom to apparently lay in wait.

I need to view the video again but wanted to see if anyone else has ideas about a coil,e things:

Upon entering the building at the street level there looks to be some Interaction with the guard posted on the street?

I also thought there was interaction with the guard on the second level (I think it was the second) after the robed figure exits the elevator?

The robed figure waited in the restroom for an hour and a half before murdering this woman - was she the target? I find it hard to believe she wasn't (or any American) - I would expect there would have been plenty of other opportunities for victims as the mall seems busy.

The restroom is large and the scene shows a large blood trail. It wonder if there were witnesses?

I will post another article in a moment where this woman is identified.

Thanks for any input!

it takes this woman a long time to exit the elevator....I wonder why the delay?

In the very beginning of this video you can see that the killer, when he/she arrive at the mall, ALSO communicate with the guard at the entrance of the mall!

I find it VERY odd that a killer, on his/her way to commit a planed murder, choose to communicate with TWO guards (guard nr 2 when the killer got out of the elevator), VERY odd indeed.

I mean why communicate with any guard, or anyone for that matter? It just makes it more possible that you will be caught.

I hope police check out those two guards in order to find out if the killer and any of them knew each other, one way or the other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEyf6HvfuDI

Whoah, the full police video is like a made for tv movie, complete with music score. It shows the raid on the house, the bomb-making equipment, the bomb, and the arrests. My heart was in my mouth! It looks like there were two women and a man in the house. One woman looks roughly the build of the woman in the surveillance footage. Other articles now say the suspect under arrest is a woman. Seems like quite a grand house?

Note the getaway vehicle - that flag hanging off it couldn't have made it more obvious!

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=iSefyJ0U04E[/video]

First time poster here! I wonder why they felt the need to add dramatic sound effects to the surveillance videos as well as the police videos, it seems rather odd. I agree the flag on the getaway car was very obvious but seems intentional to me, as if they wanted to send a message. IMO they knew they would be caught on mall surveillance cameras and tracked down eventually leading to their arrest. If the suspect was wearing gloves during the attack how did the blood get on the steering wheel? The knife handle had little to no blood on it.

I just read on the Abhu Dabi woman's forum that the flag on the car was upside down. They don't know if it's significant though, and nor do I. The country does have the death penalty, by firing squad. Murder is one crime for which it can be imposed. I think it also has the judicial system of blood money too, where the guilty can pay damages to the victim's family in return for a lighter sentence.

Personally, I feel prosecutors won't be in a mood to facilitate any such deals in this case though.

http://www.abudhabiwoman.com/topic/81378-stabbing-at-boutik-mall/

First time poster here! I wonder why they felt the need to add dramatic sound effects to the surveillance videos as well as the police videos, it seems rather odd. I agree the flag on the getaway car was very obvious but seems intentional to me, as if they wanted to send a message. IMO they knew they would be caught on mall surveillance cameras and tracked down eventually leading to their arrest. If the suspect was wearing gloves during the attack how did the blood get on the steering wheel? The knife handle had little to no blood on it.

Welcome! Local expats on that forum were wondering about the music too, so it can't be usual. Maybe a message to any other would-be bomb makers out there, as well as a way to show the world how threats to foreign residents are dealt with as smoothly as in a movie? AD has a huge interest in maintaining its attraction as a shopping destination and place to buy luxury property for foreigners. I think.

Did anyone notice in the video of the vehicle, besides knives and stuff that looks like it could be chemicals for bombs, there were also everyday cooking utensils like spatulas for turning food in trays and pans etc? WTH is that about?

And the bomb looked like it was made out of a soft drink can and a yoghurt pot. I'm not thinking seasoned terrorists here.....

I rewatched the video and noticed that the white vehicle parked in front of the suspects house has a UAE flag on the hood, so this might be common thing to do?

Well this crime seems all wrapped up in a neat and tidy package now doesn't it?

I rewatched the video and noticed that the white vehicle parked in front of the suspects house has a UAE flag on the hood, so this might be common thing to do?

Maybe. Though the way the getaway vehicle had it draped over the back window must make parking fun.

I wonder what role the suitcase the suspect was carrying played in all of this? She is seen leaving with it but where did she pick it up? Also I know this was mentioned earlier but I think it is highly suspicious that she briefly communicated with two security guards.

Well this crime seems all wrapped up in a neat and tidy package now doesn't it?

My thoughts exactly, it seems to me they wanted to highlight their efficiency and professionalism in the handling of this arrest. Like Zwiebel mentioned earlier, I think there is a lot at stake for Abu Dhabi/UAE tourism.

There is a bit more info at the long press release at the link. This is just an extract.

'Sheikh Saif described the crime as “a slap to every noble human value that the UAE cherishes- all of which are derived from the teachings of Islam and the genuine Arab heritage.” His Highness stressed that the UAE vigorously defends such civilized values both on its own soil and outside of its borders.

'Lt. General HH Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan said: “We stand today before a crime that is alien to our secure country- a crime that has disregarded all human values and norms and targeted innocent people. The victim of this brutal crime was a school teacher who was committed to building strong future generations and was known for her dedication to work. The victim was not only a teacher- she was also a mother of three children.”

His Highness continued: “After committing the ruthless crime at Al Reem Island, the suspect moved to another location later that day to plant a primitive bomb in front of an Arab American doctor’s home - a doctor who has dedicated his life to saving the lives of others. One of his sons discovered the bomb while he was heading to the mosque for the sunset prayer (Magrib). Security forces were able to dismantle the bomb at the right time before it was detonated.”

His Highness explained that the suspect targeted her victims based on nationality alone and had nothing to do with personal issues..'

http://www.securitymedia.ae/en/media.center/News/1744235.aspx

It's so sad to think that in some parts of the world it is becoming increasingly dangerous to be an American.

Have I been a complete geographical idiot with this thread? The first article stated 'Dubai' but all others stated Abu Dhabi. So I presumed AD was in Dubai? But I think they are separate cities? And emirates?

And I'm not sure of what an emirate is anyhow. :( A state?

It's so sad to think that in some parts of the world it is becoming increasingly dangerous to be an American.

Not just American. Victim Ibolya was Hungarian-American and the doc is Arab-American.

I got confused with emirates and cities as well but after researching this it seems that Dubai and Abu Dhabi (capital) are both emirates and part of the UAE and are considered principalities which are ruled by monarchs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back