Ex-`Grey's' star cites racism for firing

I loved his character on the show, but after his bigoted comments I'm not going to be sorry to see him go.

Hi Luv! Good to see you.

I am not a racist (being of mixed race myself) but experienced a rough period of time when many, many blacks showed they too are just as racist as any other ethnic group can be. I lived through the L.A. riots and yes, there were racial insults and slurs directed at anyone who was not black and the excuse I heard from a lot of people was they were retaliating because the "cops got away with beating Rodney King because they were white and he was black". It was all about race, nevermind that RK had a record, tried to outrun the cops AND when finally caught refused to do what he was told.

I was attacked because I "look" caucasion. I was even told by a friend to be careful and when I told her to do the same the retort was "I don't have to worry because I'm black." She and I remained friends even after she made that comment because I know she didn't mean it in a bad way.

I heard enough retalitory racial comments against whites during that time to know that racism and homophobia aren't restricted to any one ethnic group.

Crying racism is something that is used when someone, anyone does not want to take responsibility for their own actions/works/inactions.

I still know many of those people and they have said they are sorry they let their emotions override their comon sense. Good people who just got caught up in the heat of the moment and let themselves be carried away.
Good Lord! Please tell me what your point is! Is it that anyone can be a racist? I just assumed that was a given! The point is that the shouldn't be - no one!

Good Lord! Please tell me what your point is! Is it that anyone can be a racist? I just assumed that was a given! The point is that the shouldn't be - no one!

You and others vilified 2 posters for expressing their opinion because you disagreed with it.

I can understand why WhiteRain and a few others feel the way they do and posted what they did. If they experienced what I did and witnessed what I did that might be why they think that blacks scream racism when something bad happens to them. Not even high profile, movie/tv/sports stars, but everyday citizens can and do scream racism.

In my experience blacks use it more than any other ethnic group ever has. Maybe in a perfect world it wouldn't happen at all, but we don't live in a perfect world.

I. Washington and Vivica Fox are only 2 prominent recent examples of people crying racism when it was only about their actions & words. OJ Simpson murdered his wife and got away with it when his attorney's cried "racism" during the trial and turned a murder trial into circus.

BTW if you don't like that I have an opinion on something please use the ignore feature.

these two posts are very disturbing to me. i dont even know what to say.

Me too, but I am going to give the posters the benefit of the doubt and assume they were mistakenly being overly broad by saying "NEVER" and "ALWAYS."

Off of the top of my head, I can think of innumerable bad things that have happened to black people (both those I know personally and those that I know in the media) that never cause them to talk about the color of their skin.

Why is it they always blame it on race? When they have nothing else to blame it on, they place the race card.
When he "victimized" a homosexual he was called on it, why not try playing the "victim" himself, it worked for the other guy.

BTW, I don't watch the show, was his character important or ready to go anywhy?

Why would he assume it is racism?? He said two anti-gay slurs that is why he was fired and one was after he was warned not to do it again.

What is it these days about blaming it on racism why not just take responsibility that your a jerk and you cant go around saying your prejudice crap.

I don't know, I wasn't there, but I don't see why those of us far outside the situation can state categorically that racism played no part in the incident.

As most of you know, I am a gay man and I hate the word "" as much as anyone. As far as I'm concerned, "" is the moral and social equivalent of "."

But the fact is, unfortunately, that the word remains far more acceptable in our culture. People say it everyday. Perhaps Isaiah Washington is the first example of a new climate in which homophobic slurs are unacceptable. And if so, good.

But I can certainly understand why, from his point of view, firing seems an unusually harsh penalty. Perhaps he's looking for a reason for unusual treatment. Perhaps he's wrong that race played a part; but surely we can understand why Washington might think that.

MOREOVER, IW says he was told by HR that people felt "threatened" by him, and that was the reason for his firing. People didn't feel "threatened" because they'd never heard the word . I believe it was reported that IW and Patrick Dempsey nearly came to blows, but otherwise, I know of no charges that IW has been violent.

Why did people feel "threatened"? Were they equally "threatened" by the other participant, Mr. Dempsey? I don't know, but neither does anyone else here. Insisting that race played no part in the reactions of co-workers is, at best, premature.

Saying black people ALWAYS play the "race card" is preposterous.

Assuming that a charge of racism is automatically false is equally preposterous.

Saying one is "sick" of people playing the race card is very strange. Unless you are an HR rep, I really don't see why it is a problem for YOU.

Your whole post was terrific and totally on the money, but I got a real chuckle out of this line!

.....Saying one is "sick" of people playing the race card is very strange. Unless you are an HR rep, I really don't see why it is a problem for YOU.

Now you know! It's the solution to all your problems! :rolleyes: (I hope you know, 2myluv, that if there were a tongue-in-cheek icon, I would insert it here).

I get ya. I guess I need to change colors.:waitasec: LOL

Don't you dare try to change Luv. You are a beautiful woman with beautiful children that I am happy to say I've seen (and admit I'm envyous of, but dont' tell anyone:D) pix of.

Besides, I wouldn't know it was you if you changed. You and the kids are perfect just the way you are.

...I lived through the L.A. riots and yes, there were racial insults and slurs directed at anyone who was not black...

As others have said, I don't understand the connection. Isaiah Washington used a terrible word, but I don't think that makes him responsible for the L.A. riots.

But as a fellow Los Angeleno at the time and another veteran of those dark days, I feel compelled to point out that while a racial issue triggered the riots and there were incidents in which black people attacked others based on race (some attacks on Korean stores, for example), my TV showed people of all colors smashing store windows. Likewise, people of all colors were victims of violence.

As I pointed out on another thread, yes, some black men attacked a truck driver at Florence and Normandy, but it was another black man who risked his own life to save that trucker.

As others have said, I don't understand the connection. Isaiah Washington used a terrible word, but I don't think that makes him responsible for the L.A. riots.
I didn't say he did, just using the L.A. riots as an example of why 2 other posters may believe the way they do. It wasn't right for anyone to attack them for their opinion either.

But as a fellow Los Angeleno at the time and another veteran of those dark days, I feel compelled to point out that while a racial issue triggered the riots and there were incidents in which black people attacked others based on race (some attacks on Korean stores, for example), my TV showed people of all colors smashing store windows. Likewise, people of all colors were victims of violence.

As I pointed out on another thread, yes, some black men attacked a truck driver at Florence and Normandy, but it was another black man who risked his own life to save that trucker.
There are good and bad on all sides. I didn't watch the tv to see those incidents. I saw a lot up close and personal and yes, it was my black friend who helped keep me from being hurt so I believe what you posted about the trucker thing.

I. Washington said something very derogitory more than once about the guy who plays George on Greys Anatomy sexual orientation. He got fired (apparently for that as well as other problems with the cast) and then tried to claim he was fired because of his race. I think he needs to take an inward look at himself and his actions and words to find the real reason so he can finally face it and own it.

I didn't say he did, just using the L.A. riots as an example of why 2 other posters may believe the way they do. It wasn't right for anyone to attack them for their opinion either.

I guess I got lost, 'cause I still can't connect the two events. But we can assume that's my fault. :)

There are good and bad on all sides. I didn't watch the tv to see those incidents. I saw a lot up close and personal and yes, it was my black friend who helped keep me from being hurt so I believe what you posted about the trucker thing.

I didn't say TV was my only experience. Although I didn't live in South Central, I lived in Venice and worked in Westwood and Downtown, all areas affected by rioting. I mentioned TV because that gave me a more complete picture of what was happening all over. Just as you, my experience was that the vast majority of people of color were concerned for my welfare, not trying to hurt me. (And I knew you knew this, Seeker, I just think it has to be repeated when we talk about those riots.)

I. Washington said something very derogitory more than once about the guy who plays George on Greys Anatomy sexual orientation. He got fired (apparently for that as well as other problems with the cast) and then tried to claim he was fired because of his race. I think he needs to take an inward look at himself and his actions and words to find the real reason so he can finally face it and own it.

You may well be right. Or it may be that you are right and IW is also correct that race played a part in how he was treated. My first point was we don't know and can't know at this point, so why make assumptions?

So basically, when I see a group of people of one race acting crazy or doing something wrong on one or two occasions, it's suddenly acceptable / understandable for me to judge that entire race and perpetuate stereotypes about them? Okay, good to know. :rolleyes:

How about a nice fuschia? I think you'd be safe then.

Hey Seeker! Nice to see ya!!! How are all the animals and your place?

I think I like blueberry, think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I always liked the Oompa Loompas too - they amused me.
wonka023.jpg

Just so everyone knows. I loved the character, but IW has a screw loose. He thinks his firing is racist, but he can discriminate based on sexuality?:waitasec: Whatever! He just helps makes it harder for people who are truly discrminated against to seem credible. Gah!!!! Makes me mad!

So basically, when I see a group of people of one race acting crazy or doing something wrong on one or two occasions, it's suddenly acceptable / understandable for me to judge that entire race and perpetuate stereotypes about them? Okay, good to know. :rolleyes:

Yes, Olivia, that's correct, apparently. But you didn't mention that you also get to make it your life's work to document every example of misbehavior (real or speculated) on the part of members of that group. And you start a new thread every time.

He thinks his firing is racist, but he can discriminate based on sexuality?

Alas, all too many people think the former is outrageous, but the latter okay.

Still, it is possible to be a homophobic jerk and also a victim of discrimination. Doesn't get maximum sympathy from me, but it is possible.

I just read the CNN report on this guy. He seems out of control with some of his statements. This guy is just digging a hole deeper and deeper for himself.

Whether he's right or wrong in his allegations, he's coming off as a complete jerk about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back