Ex-`Grey's' star cites racism for firing

southcitymom said:
I'm SCM - but hi right back at you and my animals and place are great!

I think the quote was for another reason (picking a color), not that she was confusing me with you. lol

I like the blueberry color too, but I don't know if I'd like to try it. I just don't think it would go with my hair! :)

Luv and I have posted together for several years and know a lot about each other. That's why she asked about my place and animals. She knows I do rescue and rehabilitation for animals.

They're great Luv, and I hope the kids are still doing great as well as yourself and the rest of the family!

I just read the CNN report on this guy. He seems out of control with some of his statements. This guy is just digging a hole deeper and deeper for himself.

Whether he's right or wrong in his allegations, he's coming off as a complete jerk about it.

Absolutely true.

And it's too bad, because he does have a point about how black men are expected to walk on eggshells so that everyone can feel "safe." I have seen with friends of mine who have no history of violence whatsoever: they get upset about something that would upset anybody and everybody else freaks out.

(Something similar happens with large men in general, as I know from personal experience. But at least that seems based on something real, that size usually equals physical power.)

I think the quote was for another reason (picking a color), not that she was confusing me with you. lol

I like the blueberry color too, but I don't know if I'd like to try it. I just don't think it would go with my hair! :)

Luv and I have posted together for several years and know a lot about each other. That's why she asked about my place and animals. She knows I do rescue and rehabilitation for animals.

They're great Luv, and I hope the kids are still doing great as well as yourself and the rest of the family!

Thanks seeker - I figured y'all were buddies! I see now she was talking to two people in one post....I was just too slow to get it! Story of my life...

Thanks seeker - I figured y'all were buddies! I see now she was talking to two people in one post....I was just too slow to get it! Story of my life...

No problem! Hey I was happy to see your place and animals are doing well too! :)

Anyone have a link to this newest info for the CNN report? I would check but I'm trying to multi-task and think I'd mess it up.

TIA!

Geesh! What do you mean by "they"? He was fired by the creator of the show who also hired him - Shonda Rhimes - a black woman. "He" is a jerk who decided to cry racism but, it is pretty easy to see that for what it is. He was fired because he is as big mouthed jerk - imo. So please, keep it about him and not "they"!

I apologize for not explaining myself better. I mean they as in anyone who does blame things on race. Not in all black people.

Rino: good point about victimology. It's OK for one minority to claim victimhood but not another?

Nova: please explain to me why my gay friends say, "thats too gay" and call one another ? I'm in the Ballroom dance business and have had gay friends forever. I hear it. I know it and even me, as a straight individual can joke with my gay friends about them needing to "butch it up" etc.

I have the following races in my own family: Irish, German, Italian, Greek, Jewish, Black, Mexican, and most recently Japanese and Taiwanese. (did I spell that right?)

My point is: either everyone should be allowed to say it, or no one should.

I believe that people use slurs to comment about the "low life" aspect of one's race or culture, be it white trash, *advertiser censored*, etc. I don't believe that they use it as a broad brush to put down an entire race or culture (rednecks etc.)

Hey Rox Ann Moon - I got an eye opener living in the South for nine years. Having come from the family I do and lived in CA most of the time, I didn't believe people were still racist. They are. The good news is that they are the minority. I made so many friends in Nashville and I loved my black neighbors more than the white ones! The older folks in my neighborhood were loving and wise and so entertaining. I saw black and white living side by side and being good to each other. The ugly part was there in many aspects but it is not the norm.

There are good and bad in all races and cultures. The slur identifies the race and culture but just lashes out at the bad, low life or criminal element of that particluar group.

Please believe that for every person that puts you down with a slur, there are 3 more who would never do it and the one that used it may not really be racist or bigotted at all - just angry and lashing out.

Again: we have to get to a point where we don't get our feelings hurt so easily and try to sue someone for what comes out of their mouths. I realize I'm not a minority - oh wait - I'm female, but seriously, I have not lived with that type of discrimination so you may take what I say with a grain of salt. If you want to call me a white trash blonde empty-headed cracker ho, go ahead. I know better.

Love to all my gay friends and my ethnic ones and my dear mixed race nieces and nephews and cousins.

I apologize for not explaining myself better. I mean they as in anyone who does blame things on race. Not in all black people.
Dufresnecw - Thanks for your response. Sometimes, it just doesn' come out the way we mean it to. Anyway, thanks!

I know nothing about this situation, but I can say...in my case I dealt with racism growing up. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's in your face. It causes you to be a little sensitive. It hurts. As a ninth grader, I attended a school that was 95% caucasian. I remember being in the hall after bell (going to class). There were also 3 caucasian girls grouped talking by their lockers...no intentions on going to class while I was rushing trying to get there. I was the only one directed to the office. Maybe race didn't play a part, but I sure felt like it did. Or, when a parent comes to meet me (I provide daycare part time in an almost all white neighborhood), the shock and disappointment on their face, is that b/c of race? I don't know. But it feels that way. I have never been and will never be the type to scream discrimination, but in my heart I've felt it.

I know about racism and discrimination myself. I never dealt with it growing up because my parents always taught me that there were no differences.. that everyone was the same. That is something I carry with me to this day. I've learned however that not everyone feels the same way. I am a white teacher in a school that is about 90% African-American. About 5% that aren't are Asian and Native American. Discrimination and racism can go both ways. I love where I teach and I love my students but every time I discipline a student, it becomes a white and black thing... it's never seen as I'm trying to do my job. Where is that fair to me? It's not. It hurts me so bad when I see people being racist and discriminatory because I know behavior like that would hurt my students and other people that I love. So if I seemed like I was being that way I apologize.

I know about racism and discrimination myself. I never dealt with it growing up because my parents always taught me that there were no differences.. that everyone was the same. That is something I carry with me to this day. I've learned however that not everyone feels the same way. I am a white teacher in a school that is about 90% African-American. About 5% that aren't are Asian and Native American. Discrimination and racism can go both ways. I love where I teach and I love my students but every time I discipline a student, it becomes a white and black thing... it's never seen as I'm trying to do my job. Where is that fair to me? It's not. It hurts me so bad when I see people being racist and discriminatory because I know behavior like that would hurt my students and other people that I love. So if I seemed like I was being that way I apologize.

It isn't fair to you. And if you want to vent about racism being used as an excuse, I think you're entitled. It's those of us who are barely affected who should calm down on the subject.

But the fact is, unfortunately, that the word remains far more acceptable in our culture. People say it everyday. Perhaps Isaiah Washington is the first example of a new climate in which homophobic slurs are unacceptable. And if so, good.

But I can certainly understand why, from his point of view, firing seems an unusually harsh penalty. Perhaps he's looking for a reason for unusual treatment. Perhaps he's wrong that race played a part; but surely we can understand why Washington might think that.

MOREOVER, IW says he was told by HR that people felt "threatened" by him, and that was the reason for his firing. People didn't feel "threatened" because they'd never heard the word . I believe it was reported that IW and Patrick Dempsey nearly came to blows, but otherwise, I know of no charges that IW has been violent.

Why did people feel "threatened"? Were they equally "threatened" by the other participant, Mr. Dempsey? I don't know, but neither does anyone else here. Insisting that race played no part in the reactions of co-workers is, at best, premature.

Saying black people ALWAYS play the "race card" is preposterous.

Assuming that a charge of racism is automatically false is equally preposterous.

Saying one is "sick" of people playing the race card is very strange. Unless you are an HR rep, I really don't see why it is a problem for YOU.

Great post as usual, Nova. I just wanted to add one thing in regard to Mr. Washington. According to reports, this was NOT on isolated incident. He had a history of creating a hostile work environment. This is with other gigs too, not just Grey's. When he worked on Soul Food he had a big confrontation with Tracey Edmonds (Babyface's ex and Eddie Murphy's current squeeze), one of a couple examples. I think his firing was not due to the incident with TR, but the incident was probably the final straw.

Personally I find it ludicrous that he has publicly stated that this entire incident was a ploy by T.R. Knight to push his character front and center. He seems to have a problem accepting responsibility for using the slur.

...Nova: please explain to me why my gay friends say, "thats too gay" and call one another ? I'm in the Ballroom dance business and have had gay friends forever. I hear it. I know it and even me, as a straight individual can joke with my gay friends about them needing to "butch it up" etc....

My point is: either everyone should be allowed to say it, or no one should.

I believe that people use slurs to comment about the "low life" aspect of one's race or culture, be it white trash, *advertiser censored*, etc. I don't believe that they use it as a broad brush to put down an entire race or culture (rednecks etc.)

Not all gay people do use such language with one another, though some do. Not all African Americans call one another *advertiser censored*, but there is a subculture that does. In both cases, the practice is controversial and none to easy to explain.

(I'm going to confine my remarks to gay usage, since I'm most familiar with that. I have read extensively about similar usages in racial subcultures, but as an outsider as a rule, there's no reason for me to go into that here. Except to say I have experienced Southerners calling one another "rednecks" with fondness and even pride, while taking umbrage at being called "rednecks" by outsiders.)

One gay use of the word "" is as you suggest: to indicate someone who exhibits the worst stereotypical traits associated with gay men. This is not a nice use of the word, but it isn't the same as a straight person calling a gay person a *advertiser censored*. I will admit to having used the word in this way myself, but very rarely and only alone with my partner in reference to somebody we both knew well. I probably shouldn't do even that. But in this case, the word implies somebody is aiding our oppressors by confirming their worst slurs.

The more common (and confusing to outsiders, apparently) use of the word is as a term of affection between friends. I don't use it in this manner, but I understand those who do. Essentially, they call each other "" because doing so affirms their solidarity in the face of outside hostility. It's a "we *advertiser censored* are in this together" sort of thing.

A third use is related to the previous one: using "*advertiser censored*" as political self-empowerment. Some, particularly the more politically radical, feel that by appropriating the worst word employed by the majority, a minority takes control of the word and renders it less harmful. Usually, people use the word this way with regard to themselves, as in, "Yeah, I'm a *advertiser censored*. What's it to you!?" I can imagine using the word this way, but I'd have to be sorely provoked. (One hears the word "queer" used quite often in this manner, though it bothers old-timers who remember when that word was the worst. "Queer" has been so successfully appropriated by politicos that it is practically mainstream. But straight people should probably think long and hard about who is listening before using it.)

(And of course there are a few, very sad cases of gay men who use gay slurs because they hate themselves. I like to think these cases are rarer these days.)

There are probably other examples, but those are the main usages I can think of and what they mean.

As for "everyone should be allowed to say it, or no one should," I think adults of even average intelligence should be able to understand that words change meaning depending on context. Even simple words. "Flip" means one thing if I'm talking about a gymnast and something very different if I'm talking about a comedian, and something else again if I'm talking about a short order cook. Everybody gets that.

It shouldn't be any more difficult to understand that two black men calling each other "" does NOT give me permission to use that word.

(Obviously, you have a special relationship with your gay friends and your saying "butch it up" in that context doesn't offend them and I'm sure it wouldn't offend me. But President Bush saying the same thing to Rep. Barney Frank would be very offensive. Different context.)

Of course, people are human and make mistakes. I'm not a big fan of condemning people to exile and eternal damnation because they misspeak. But they should be called on their error by any right-thinking person, so they can learn better.

Geesh! What do you mean by "they"? He was fired by the creator of the show who also hired him - Shonda Rhimes - a black woman. "He" is a jerk who decided to cry racism but, it is pretty easy to see that for what it is. He was fired because he is as big mouthed jerk - imo. So please, keep it about him and not "they"!

If he was hired and fired by another black person why in the world would he blame racism? I guess all the white-big wigs put the pressure on Shonda Rhimes and thats where the racism comes in right?

Great post as usual, Nova. I just wanted to add one thing in regard to Mr. Washington. According to reports, this was NOT on isolated incident. He had a history of creating a hostile work environment. This is with other gigs too, not just Grey's. When he worked on Soul Food he had a big confrontation with Tracey Edmonds (Babyface's ex and Eddie Murphy's current squeeze), one of a couple examples. I think his firing was not due to the incident with TR, but the incident was probably the final straw.

I suspect you are right (and I know you sometimes have inside info on these things). The "hostile work environment" charge is what makes his claim that he was expected to behave differently because he is a black man so interesting. Even if it isn't true in this case, it's something to think about.

Personally I find it ludicrous that he has publicly stated that this entire incident was a ploy by T.R. Knight to push his character front and center. He seems to have a problem accepting responsibility for using the slur.

That really is stretching it. (ETA: I mean Washington's claim, not you, MJ.) I'm not a big celebrity watcher, but I haven't heard anyone say T.R. Knight was the instigator of the uproar about Washington. Knight has been rather a gentleman about the whole thing, as far as I know.

You and others vilified 2 posters for expressing their opinion because you disagreed with it.

I can understand why WhiteRain and a few others feel the way they do and posted what they did. If they experienced what I did and witnessed what I did that might be why they think that blacks scream racism when something bad happens to them. Not even high profile, movie/tv/sports stars, but everyday citizens can and do scream racism.

In my experience blacks use it more than any other ethnic group ever has. Maybe in a perfect world it wouldn't happen at all, but we don't live in a perfect world.

I. Washington and Vivica Fox are only 2 prominent recent examples of people crying racism when it was only about their actions & words. OJ Simpson murdered his wife and got away with it when his attorney's cried "racism" during the trial and turned a murder trial into circus.

BTW if you don't like that I have an opinion on something please use the ignore feature.

Thanks Seeker. Don't forget Wesley Snipes as well...blaming the IRS for coming after him for being black rather than the fact that he didn't pay his taxes.

Alot of them do, imo.

Evidence? Sure, you're entitled to your opinion on this, but the rest of us have a right to ask the basis of that opinion. How many is "a lot"? Where do you get your figures?

Thanks Seeker. Don't forget Wesley Snipes as well...blaming the IRS for coming after him for being black rather than the fact that he didn't pay his taxes.

So there you have it: THREE-COUNT-'EM-THREE people out of 30+ MILLION African Americans. And I will repeat: we don't have have all the facts in any of even these three cases.

I don't know, I wasn't there, but I don't see why those of us far outside the situation can state categorically that racism played no part in the incident.

As most of you know, I am a gay man and I hate the word "" as much as anyone. As far as I'm concerned, "" is the moral and social equivalent of "."

But the fact is, unfortunately, that the word remains far more acceptable in our culture. People say it everyday. Perhaps Isaiah Washington is the first example of a new climate in which homophobic slurs are unacceptable. And if so, good.

But I can certainly understand why, from his point of view, firing seems an unusually harsh penalty. Perhaps he's looking for a reason for unusual treatment. Perhaps he's wrong that race played a part; but surely we can understand why Washington might think that.

MOREOVER, IW says he was told by HR that people felt "threatened" by him, and that was the reason for his firing. People didn't feel "threatened" because they'd never heard the word . I believe it was reported that IW and Patrick Dempsey nearly came to blows, but otherwise, I know of no charges that IW has been violent.

Why did people feel "threatened"? Were they equally "threatened" by the other participant, Mr. Dempsey? I don't know, but neither does anyone else here. Insisting that race played no part in the reactions of co-workers is, at best, premature.

Saying black people ALWAYS play the "race card" is preposterous.

Assuming that a charge of racism is automatically false is equally preposterous.

Saying one is "sick" of people playing the race card is very strange. Unless you are an HR rep, I really don't see why it is a problem for YOU.

Nova, from what I have read/heard on tv the shows ratings went down after his comments. The fact is probably alot of gay people quit watching the show after he said what he did. They probably lost alot of viewers, probably got alot of emails and such saying that they would not be watching again unless he was terminated. They probably feel their ratings would go back up without him on the show.
I don't really care is you think it's "strange" that I say I am sick of the race card being played. Maybe I have had the race card played personally to me, and as a matter of fact I have. If you'd like the lowdown on what happened I'll be more than glad to tell you, but if not lets just suffice it to say that playing the race card CAN be a problem for/towards any of us.

If he was hired and fired by another black person why in the world would he blame racism? I guess all the white-big wigs put the pressure on Shonda Rhimes and thats where the racism comes in right?

You are deliberately distorting issues to make some sort of case, yes?

What Washington said was that he was told by HR that people in general felt threatened by him, that whoever fired him was responding to the complaints of the group. He further inferred that those who felt threatened did so because they were afraid of an outspoken black man. That's the racism to which he referred. The color of his boss doesn't matter.

This may be a complete crock (we don't know at this point), but it is not an imaginary issue. As I posted above, I have seen the same process in real life and more than once (though no one was fired in the cases I noticed).

So there you have it: THREE-COUNT-'EM-THREE people out of 30+ MILLION African Americans. And I will repeat: we don't have have all the facts in any of even these three cases.

It almost seems as if you are just trying to be argumentative.
We have cited only 3 examples of prominent and well known people, 2 of which have been documented as saying what is happening to them is only because of their color (Snipes & Fox).

I could give the names of every black/brown person I know who I've actually heard say something happened or was done to them just because they were black, Mexican/hispanic,Asian....but those names wouldn't mean anything to you or anyone else here. Even my own cousins have said that they didn't get jobs just because they are NA and not white. They weren't qualified for the jobs, but that "couldn't" have been the real reason they didn't get it right?

IW may well be trying to spin things his way too. I don't believe any HR rep would tell someone they were fired because they were an intimidating/threatening black man.

Most workplaces have zero tolerance for sexual harassment and that is exactly what his comments about TR Knight were.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back