Explain BDI to me

My favorite hat is off to otg for sharing a plausible BDI theory and presenting it succinctly and without condemnation. Rather than reply to the lengthy post, for the sake of space, otg's BDI theory is linked below.

This description almost elicits sympathy for BR if all he wanted to do was play an innocent little game of tie up the "Kitty" with his sister. But, if BDI, it is a ruse for he has boundaries that he intends to cross.

But she’s scared and keeps screaming until he grabs something and hits her over the head with it. No rage, no ill will toward his sister, no intent to cause harm, and certainly no intent to commit murder... just a quick reaction to his desire to shut her up quick.

The two young Ramsey children awoke early Christmas morning to see what Santa brought. After gifts were exchanged, they had a pancake breakfast. They played with their toys except JonBenet ignored her Twinn Doll. Later, they dressed to go to the White's for Christmas dinner. They played with their friends at the White's residence for hours before finally arriving home around 9:30 for they had an early morning flight to catch although Patsy did not really want to go.

No. Patsy did not want to go to Charlevoix. Nor did she desire to host the Christmas party that year and had chosen not to do so; however, when informed that Charles Kuralt requested video of the home as his film crew was due in town to spotlight Boulder's Christmas Tour of Historic Homes, according to John, Patsy hastily prepared for the party on short notice.

Back to the tired children; wouldn't 6yo JonBenet and her 9yo brother be exhausted from a wonderful Christmas spent and be quite content to collapse into their cozy beds and dream of sugarplums and opening even more gifts the next day in Michigan? Instead, apparently BR was busy tricking JonBenet around midnight. If responsible, he was being sneaky, curious, careless, dangerous, persistent and certainly precocious to the point that his baby sister's life ends from two separate yet equally fatal causes:

a) the horrific strangulation.
b) the powerful blunt force bludgeon that cracks and punches a hole in her skull made w/enough force that it could have generally knocked down a 300# man. Isn't that much more force than necessary to make a little girl stop screaming?

What if there was no scream from JonBenet that night? My neighbor's cat screams like a girl when she is in heat. She 'calls' to attract males. Male cats do it, too. Loudly. Their calls sound like a girl who is screaming from pain. If there was no scream from JonBenet, then there was no reason to silence her with the blow to the head. OTOH, JonBenet was tortured. I believe she screamed.

Surely it is not normal to consider striking someone, on their head, with all your might, to make them stop screaming unless your intent is also to do them great bodily harm. BR swung a golf club that hit JB in the cheek two years prior. He knew it sent his concerned mother hauling JB to see a doctor.

They desperately wanted to hide the fact that she had been sexually assaulted. It makes no sense to think that they would poke the paintbrush into her as cover for past molestations and then clean up the blood to hide it.

Jamming, jabbing or poking a broken paint brush, or anything else, into a 6yo little girl will never make sense. And, since there is no way she consented to being penetrated by a stick until she bled, then it was a rape and as such it should be punishable, by law, no matter if the perp was 9 or 99yo.

Following the tragic death of "that child", PR began a regime of medication designed to help one cope with anxiety and sleeplessness prescribed for her by JonBenet's pediatrician. Ironically, JR took a similar regime prescribed for him by BR's psychiatrist. Why would a typical little boy from an alleged loving, all-American family, with no reported history of abuse or violence, need to visit a shrink at the tender age of nine? And how long had BR been treated by a psychiatrist in Boulder? In Atlanta?

JonBenet did not like the basement. She never went down there alone. It was very dark down there Christmas night, even with a flashlight. Was pineapple that enticing? Was Burke's charm irresistible enough to lure JonBenet to that dark basement late at night while her parents slept three floors above? Or did he threaten her with his pocket knife the housekeeper thought she had stowed away upstairs? Was he also responsible for her chronic sexual abuse?

While I respect the lengthy replies to my original post, everything I have read leaves me extremely dissatisfied with the BDI theory. The garrote is the thing that cannot be adequately explained IMO. I was thinking about that more in depth last night. I was thinking that maybe BR does not know how JB died at all. I believe that was his voice at the end of the 911 call asking his parents what they had found because he honestly did not know what was going on at that point. The parents knew but he did not.

Thanks button on the fritz this morning.

Otg: excellent post!

For me what shows Ramsey involvement is not necessarily any one single thing. Rather it's the totality of evidence and behaviors. As for BDI, several things stand out.:

*the parents clearly lied. How many other lies are there that we don't know about? Why do people lie? There are really only 2 motivations for lying...to deflect blame away from oneself, or to protect someone else. The lies/cover up was perpetuated for a very long time...generally speaking, this isn't too common when one spouse is covering for another.

*evidence of JRB/BR "playing doctor." How far did that go? (This is totally MOO, and based on how I see this point relative to my own experience, but how often does such behavior happen among siblings? To me it's not common? && according to the housekeeper, it went beyond, you show me yours and I'll show you mine)

*the medical records. They're critical, perhaps the most critical. What was being suppressed? The fact that not only were JRBs records withheld, but also Bs is highly suspicious.

Again it's the totality of things, but these 3 points are the most critical....

Oh, and let's not forget, Kolar knows a hell of a lot more than we do.
I agree wholeheartedly, bettybaby. It’s not any one single lie, or one single thing, it’s the totality of all the lies and inexplicable (otherwise) behavior of the Ramseys after the fact. And some of the lies have no purpose if we were to assume someone else came into their home and raped and murdered their child. But in the context of BDI, it all makes sense. We (WS’ers) can debate something back and forth on which action might be most logical under the given circumstances (e.g., sending BR away to the Whites’ house), but as long as everything can be explained to a reasonable degree by the one theory, it should be the most probable.

Newbie poster and former lurker here. I've always found your posts insightful and well-reasoned!
Expat, I am honored that your first post would be in response to something I posted. I’ll respond to each of your points individually, and you can make of them what you want.

But about that garrote: wouldn't a simpler explanation be that it was used to expedite death?
The “garrote” as it is so often referred to is arguably not a garrote. Rather than go into a long explanation about it here, take a look at [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117975"]this thread[/ame] from long ago. What was found on JonBenet’s neck was not functional as it was constructed (IMO).

My uneducated guess: headbash occurred first. JB knocked unconscious, but still alive. The perps needed to "finish her off". Hence the strangulation.
Why do you think “the perps (more than one?) needed to finish her off"? Understand, you’re not the only one who thinks that was the reason for the strangulation, but I just don’t see it. We can disagree on something, but still discuss the details. But do you really think a parent would place a cord around their daughter’s neck with the intent of ending her life because she was injured? Not being doctors or having the benefit of medical tests, would they be so sure of the outcome that they would decide to kill her rather than seek medical attention?

In addition, the perps were providing staging for what they imagined to be a sexual predator, so they needed to violate her sexually in some way (and also to cover up for past abuse) in order to create the narrative.
How did these people you imagine did this know about the evidence of past abuse and know it would show up at the autopsy? And if they wanted to make it appear to be the act of a sexual predator, why clean up the blood?

It would have been far too horrific to violate JB with a paintbrush if she were still alive. The only way to do it is make sure she has passed away first, so in the perp's mind you are only violating an inanimate object, and not your daughter.
I’m not sure, but are you saying she was killed in order to violate her as a way to cover past abuse?

Was it ever established if the paintbrush violation occurred prior to death? Because then that blows a hole in my theory.
Depends on what you mean by “established”? With all that’s known about the human body’s reactions, most people agree that she was violated prior to her dying. Our poster DeeDee249 has spoken about this on many occasions, and on this we agree. As noted in the autopsy report, the hyperemia and bruising on and in her genitals, as well as the presence of blood, all indicate that she was violated while she was still alive.

And FYI: a certain someone doesn't appear to be aging very gracefully, if you look at their current fb photo. Used to be a good looking kid, but now looks a little spazzed.
I haven’t seen it. Maybe he got married? It’ll do that, you know. :giggle:

Welcome from another Newbie! And I share your opinion on how the murder of JB came about. Good question about the paintbrush. If there was healing involved, the stage of healing would suggest when the abuse took place. FWIR there were several healing stages. I may be wrong.
You wouldn’t be wrong about stages of healing. The process of healing is usually broken into four stages (some consider the first two part of the same stage and therefore break it into three stages). The length of time that any wound takes to heal will depend on the type of injury, its severity, it’s location, and the general health of the individual.

Here is a breakdown of the four stages using a comparison to repairing a house, and here is a breakdown showing it in three stages.

You’ve described the exact thing about this that mystifies anyone who looks at all the known facts of JonBenet’s death. The only way a person can understand or rationalize the actions and behaviors of JR and PR is by considering that they were covering for BR.
(snipped)

OTG,
Thank you for this most thought provoking and detailed post on the BDI theory that I have ever read.
I, too, am of the persuasion that BDI since that is the only scenerio that comes close to making sense during that dreadful night.
I appreciate your book recommendation which will be my next read.

I believe that after jonbenet was rendered unconscious, BR poked her with objects like the train track pieces because he thought she was only pretending. The poking escalated in force, with BR possibly enjoying the escalation of his power over his golden child sister, & culminated with the poking injuries to her genital region ( & also the partial insertion of a small doll that was found at the scene & referred to by John as perversion).

When he initially whacked her imo he wanted to hurt her, alright, but i doubt he intended to kill her.

I also think its quite possible that after none of these pokes & proddings roused JB, her brother decided to leave the kill-room, sort of what he considered his ultimate threat: "If you dont wake up now Ill leave you here all alone ...and you'll be stuck here forever & ever...."

Maybe thats when she actually died, strangled by the cord and unable to move due to the first attack to her skull..

My only question is, could a very troubled and compulsive child decide to do away with a sibling. The strangling does not seem at all accidental, imo.

I believe that after jonbenet was rendered unconscious, BR poked her with objects like the train track pieces because he thought she was only pretending. The poking escalated in force, with BR possibly enjoying the escalation of his power over his golden child sister, & culminated with the poking injuries to her genital region ( & also the partial insertion of a small doll that was found at the scene & referred to by John as perversion).

When he initially whacked her imo he wanted to hurt her, alright, but i doubt he intended to kill her.

I also think its quite possible that after none of these pokes & proddings roused JB, her brother decided to leave the kill-room, sort of what he considered his ultimate threat: "If you dont wake up now Ill leave you here all alone ...and you'll be stuck here forever & ever...."

Maybe thats when she actually died, strangled by the cord and unable to move due to the first attack to her skull..

Renah, do you mind providing more info or a source on the sentence I bolded and enlarged in your post? I was not aware of this. Thanks.

I think JR is a smart guy. I think he knew full well that the doll was likely placed in an effort to comfort JBR, along with possibly the blanket and the heart on the hand. So he describes a show of compassion as "perversion" in order to deflect from the reality. MOO

The “garrote” as it is so often referred to is arguably not a garrote. Rather than go into a long explanation about it here, take a look at this thread from long ago. What was found on JonBenet’s neck was not functional as it was constructed (IMO).

Thanks! I think most of us refer to the device as a garrote simply because it's much easier to type than "staged strangulation contraption", and because it doesn't resemble a noose in the traditional Western sense. So garrote is simply used for convenience.

And after reading your BDI theory on that linked thread, something else just occurred to me regarding the dictionary dogeared to the word "incest"....I can see how the R's--after the staging--would show that word to BR, and carefully explaining the consequences should BR spill the beans to ANYONE.

If your version of events is close to what actually transpired, it now makes perfect sense why BR didn't squeal. No way a 9-year old kid is going to admit anything to anyone if he was under the impression that he faced arrest and some serious time behind bars for the "crime" of "incest" (which directly lead to a family member's death).

I dunno, just a random thought I had. I even wonder if that dogeared dictionary page is merely a coincidence, or just hearsay.

(bbm)
Thanks! I think most of us refer to the device as a garrote simply because it's much easier to type than "staged strangulation contraption", and because it doesn't resemble a noose in the traditional Western sense. So garrote is simply used for convenience.

And after reading your BDI theory on that linked thread, something else just occurred to me regarding the dictionary dogeared to the word "incest"....I can see how the R's--after the staging--would show that word to BR, and carefully explaining the consequences should BR spill the beans to ANYONE.

If your version of events is close to what actually transpired, it now makes perfect sense why BR didn't squeal. No way a 9-year old kid is going to admit anything to anyone if he was under the impression that he faced arrest and some serious time behind bars for the "crime" of "incest" (which directly lead to a family member's death).

I dunno, just a random thought I had. I even wonder if that dogeared dictionary page is merely a coincidence, or just hearsay.
Interesting thought that I hadn't considered, expat. It never made sense to me that either of the Ramsey adults would need to look the word up to know exactly what it meant. And as for a child, well... when I was a child, I always had the good sense to not leave the dictionary on the same page when I had looked up a word I didn't want my parents to know I had been looking up. :blushing:

Your suggestion does make sense. The way it was reportedly left open to that page, dog-eared to the word, is certainly something someone might have done to show the word to someone else. Even if it wasn't done that night, it would still indicate the parents' growing concern over the problem.

And also, I have to say I understand about the use of the word garrote. Everyone uses it out of convenience, but since you hadn't posted before, I didn't know if you thought it was actually used that way or not. If you do, you're already a step ahead of many who've been here for years. :wink:

The housekeeper has said in the past IIRC that she had caught Burke and JB under the covers and was loudly told by Burke to "Get out!". I wonder if some (innocent?) fooling around had been going on and the R's had spoken to Burke about it, using the word in the dictionary.
My big problem with using it that night: the folded down corner. Who would do that? that implies that they wanted to mark it for future reference- not for looking at that moment. JMO

I felt it was part of what led the GJ to want to indict the R's for the charge of 'putting a child in danger' or whatever that charge was. I think one or both of them looked up incest because they suspect BR was molesting his sister. JMO

Actually now that I think about it, it makes zero sense for an adult to dog ear a dictionary, since we all know you just look up the word you're looking for easily since they're in alphabetical order. I wonder if BR looked it up after he heard someone mention it (while eavesdropping?). I could see a child dog earing a dictionary for quick reference later, because it takes them longer to look up words.

Did the R's have an internet connection? Did the web even exist then? :)

If they didn't, someone in the house may have been checking to see if the dictionary definition of the term meant actual coitus, or if "play" also sufficed.

Probably done in conjunction with calling a pediatrician or attorney? Or about to call 911?

Actually now that I think about it, it makes zero sense for an adult to dog ear a dictionary, since we all know you just look up the word you're looking for easily since they're in alphabetical order. I wonder if BR looked it up after he heard someone mention it (while eavesdropping?). I could see a child dog earing a dictionary for quick reference later, because it takes them longer to look up words.

That actually makes the most sense, imo. Thanks.

BBM
A small doll found at the scene? Are you referring to a Barbie Doll? I think I can say with certainty that a Barbie nightgown was found at the scene but not a doll. Someone who knows more than I, please correct if I am wrong.

BBM
A small doll found at the scene? Are you referring to a Barbie Doll? I think I can say with certainty that a Barbie nightgown was found at the scene but not a doll. Someone who knows more than I, please correct if I am wrong.

There has long been said there was a 1996 Holiday Barbie in a cellophane box in the room with her. There was a photo posted here a few years ago- you might be able to search it. Tricia has contacts close to the case and they verified this doll was there. But no LE have publicly come forward with this information. The photo is not very clear, but you can google the doll and see what it looks like. I have seen the doll in person and it does look like the doll in the photo could be that one.
Of course, there was also a Barbie nightie found, stuck to the white blanket. There is speculation this nightie may have been pulled out of the dryer with the white blanket. When shown the photo, JR told LE "that wasn't supposed to be there"- it was so strange. Of COURSE it wasn't supposed to be there. Neither was the dead child in the white blanket! His comment is very suspicious and not something you'd expect from a man who was looking at crime scene photos of his murdered child. I believe it may have been one of the gifts that Patsy planned to send to her niece, along with the panties. Girls of all ages collect Barbie. JB may have had her own 1996 Holiday Barbie under the tree, though I do not think anyone ever checked.

From DeDee:
JonBenet did not like the basement. She never went down there alone. It was very dark down there Christmas night, even with a flashlight. Was pineapple that enticing? Was Burke's charm irresistible enough to lure JonBenet to that dark basement late at night while her parents slept three floors above? Or did he threaten her with his pocket knife the housekeeper thought she had stowed away upstairs? Was he also responsible for her chronic sexual abuse?

I, too, am a BDI/J&PRcover-up, DeDee.

I think BR could have coaxed JB down to the basement by telling her he had found more presents for her (or for each of them). And he said he would bring the flashlight so that it would not be dark. I think that would do it -- it certainly would have if I had been told that when I was 6 y/o.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back