FL - 17-yo Teen Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone just catch that name on the marquee?

Trayvon and his family have been my last thought and prayer before I sleep for the last several nights and first thought and prayer after I wake for the last several mornings. What happened to Trayvon is a terrible, terrible sin and it has only been compounded by how LE handled it. I am glad that the DOJ and others are now involved. I heard Zimmerman's 911 calls and the others. Zimmerman went hunting that day. I heard him ignore the operator who told him not to follow Trayvon. I heard him say "these a%&holes always get away.." and run after him. I heard him say a terrible racial slur. He belongs behind bars.

I myself have a done a lot of thinking and I feel like we must as a country say enough! I can never know how it feels to be "suspicious" because of the color of my skin nor will I know the fear that my children could be harmed because of the color of theirs. However I can stand up heart to heart, shoulder to shoulder with those that do. I can speak out when I see racism and injustice.

In the past I have not been a fan of Reverand Sharpton but I have caught many of his appearances on MSNBC over the last year and I truly feel his heart is in the right place. Like all of us, he is not perfect and has made mistakes but if he can help this family in any way, he should.

It is my fervent prayer that the outrage and disgust that we all feel from this case not fade until that day that it is no longer needed. When you have a moment please go listen to 41 Shots (American Skin) by Bruce Springsteen on youtube. He says it so much more eloquently than I.

As long as it stays peaceful, I say good for them.

I say good for our young kids to learn to stand up for what's right and wrong, to stand up for injustices, even if the only thing they can do is a small gesture to show support. The principal supported it as long as it stayed peaceful, there is a lesson there.

JMHO

Anyone just catch that name on the marquee?

The students marched peacefully through the streets of Miami Gardens, arriving at the Betty T. Ferguson recreational complex at Northwest 199th Street and 29th Court. Some teens held Skittles and iced tea, items Martin had bought at a convenience store shortly before he was shot, while others carried signs saying, "Justice for Trayvon."

http://www.local10.com/news/S-Fla-students-march-for-Trayvon/-/1717324/9670572/-/er5bg/-/index.html

"He was suspicious looking." "He seemed threatening." These are the codes assigned to African-American males, whether young or old, rich or poor, educated or uneducated, successful or not so successful. I thought that the enlightened, "post-racial" era would have dispensed with these views, but that is clearly not the case.

They have even been applied to the president of the United States. Remember his controversial tarmac meeting with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer? She said that she "felt threatened" by President Barack Obama, even as the Secret Service and multiple cameras recorded her finger-wagging at him. Her simple allegation was sufficient justification for her aggressive and disrespectful action — with little, if any, repercussions against her. It harks back to a time when black men could be prosecuted for even daring to look at a white woman.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-trayvon-20120322,0,1735054.story

Ok - its not a school its a recreational park

its the

Betty T Ferguson Recreational Complex

"We decided to do this earlier, around 11, because, you know, we want justice for Trayvon. We were in the cafeteria, and everybody was talking about walking out of school after first lunch," said one student.

The students marched peacefully through the streets of Miami Gardens, arriving at the Betty T. Ferguson recreational complex at Northwest 199th Street and 29th Court. Some teens held Skittles and iced tea, items Martin had bought at a convenience store shortly before he was shot, while others carried signs saying, "Justice for Trayvon."

http://www.local10.com/news/S-Fla-students-march-for-Trayvon/-/1717324/9670572/-/er5bg/-/index.html

Based on what's publicly known about the case, Michael Siegel, a former federal prosecutor who now directs the Criminal Justice Center and Clinics at the University of Florida law school, said it appears Sanford police were too quick to decide whether Zimmerman should be charged. If the evidence is murky, he said the usual practice is to make the arrest and let the court system sort it out.

Watching the live feed of the walkout. Don't see how this is relevant to Trayvon at all. Just a bunch of kids walking around and inconveniencing drivers. Symbolic gestures get symbolic results.

I think its relevant because people from all different types of race, gender, age and walks of life are joining together for something they believe strongly in.............Justice for Trayvon

Life is full of inconveniences, every minute of every day. That is life. If I were a driver in that traffic I wouldnt feel inconvienced, I would feel pride. And I guessing there are a few drivers in that traffic that feel the same way.
As well as some that are feeling inconvenienced and dont really give a hoot about Trayvon or GZ.

IMO

Can't figure out what school they are at. Looks to be a private school. Copter tried to get the marquee but a tree was in the way.

Not good to be jumping fences .....................

It looks like it's Carol City to me, though I haven't been there in several years. I didn't go to school at CC, but was there several time via work when I lived in Miami.

Its the Betty T Ferguson Recreational Complex - not a school.

Looks like the copter is leaving - maybe needs fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname