FL - Cats being mutilated and killed in miami-dade, fl

I find it interesting that whomever is doing this will get 5 years per killing, and I'm fairly certain murders have gotten lighter sentences in the past.

I personally feel that the level of violence here + the sheer number of cats they're finding merits a closer look, before the killer escalates. :eek:

I agree! If they could determine a timeline of when these cats were killed, they'd most likely be able to tell if he is escalating. Even if he still is killing cats but instead of killing one a week, he's killing one every other day, that's a very bad sign.

On Cnn.com, they talk to a lady who found her cat dead in her yard, mutilated. She said it scares her that it's likely the person was just outside of her window. It's not like the perp is picking up stray cats off the street and leaving them in dumpsters or something. It seems that he's finding obvious family pets to kill - something that is sure to merit new stories and attention. Very much serial killer behavior.

Another mutilated cat found in Palmetto Bay
Cat-killer sought in South Dade
By DIANA MOSKOVITZ AND JENNIFER LEBOVICH
jlebovich@MiamiHerald.com

A cat was found mutilated in Palmetto Bay early Thursday morning.

A cat's body was found near Southwest 87th Avenue and 162nd Street, Miami Herald news partner WFOR-CBS 4 reported.

Miami-Dade police could not confirm whether the case was related to other cats that had been mutilated in the area -- more than 15 confirmed cases since last month.

On Thursday, a homeowner said she found a cat, its intestines spilling out, in the front yard early in the morning.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/1092387.html

I agree! If they could determine a timeline of when these cats were killed, they'd most likely be able to tell if he is escalating. Even if he still is killing cats but instead of killing one a week, he's killing one every other day, that's a very bad sign.

On Cnn.com, they talk to a lady who found her cat dead in her yard, mutilated. She said it scares her that it's likely the person was just outside of her window. It's not like the perp is picking up stray cats off the street and leaving them in dumpsters or something. It seems that he's finding obvious family pets to kill - something that is sure to merit new stories and attention. Very much serial killer behavior.
Good point. Hope they're looking at TOD...

On another note, since none of the cats' owners have reported hearing their cats making any noises during these awful killings/mutilations, it makes me wonder if the perp isn't capturing the unsuspecting kitty first (petting it, etc.,) and taking it somewhere else to hurt and kill it, only to then return it to its' owners' yard. Would explain why no one has reported hearing anything.

This is absolutely horrible! Anyone who has heard intact male cats fighting over a female in heat knows that they can be very loud! The fact that no noise is being heard leads me to question whether or not these cats are being poisoned first. I wonder if some sicko is baiting them with antifreeze or something. It makes no sense to me that in a neighborhood setting, nothing is being heard. Even if the cat's owners weren't home, neighbors would hear something. It is a statistically proven fact that many serial killers started out by killing animals. This is the work of a very sick, disturbed person. I hope that the police are indeed taking this seriously. There needs to be some type of patrol going through the neighborhood. If it is the same person looking through windows that is killing the cats, then it seems a human attack in the near future is not out of the realm of possibility. I also hope that pet owners are keeping their pets indoors now :(

I know exactly how these owners are feeling. I found my cat on our neighbors lawn and she was cut in half.

Sick, sick people. When they find this who's doing this I think they need to be mutilated.:furious:

Oh, how very sad! I'm so so very sorry you had to find that. My heart goes out to you.

Whoever is doing this is beyond sick. Anyone who would hurt any animal this way is sick.

Who's killing the cats in South Miami-Dade?
South Miami-Dade pet lovers are shocked, angry and scared as police track a serial cat killer -- or killers -- suspected in a string of recent deaths and mutilations.

She was a tiny tabby with white paws, purring among a half-dozen other homeless kittens in a box in front of a Publix supermarket.

Third-grader Joylene Ceballos pulled the hazel-eyed feline from the litter and named her Chloe. The rambunctious kitty would be at her side for the next 12 years, through elementary school and high school, and later, college.

Though other critters would join the Ceballos family, Chloe was the friendliest and most curious.

Sometime late Wednesday or early Thursday morning, Chloe was found butchered on a neighbor's manicured front lawn in the 8500 block of Southwest 162nd Street in Palmetto Bay.

''I grew up with that cat. How could they do that to a little animal?'' said Ceballos, 21, home on summer break from the Fashion Institute of Technology.

Chloe, found about 7 a.m., is among 18 cats whose deaths were apparently the work of a serial killer or killers plaguing Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay since early May. Two other mutilated cats also were found Thursday.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1093410.html

I lived in Miami for almost 10 years (moved from there 6 years ago) and at one point lived in the Palmetto Bay area.

This is a sick, sick person doing this. It is frightening what will happen when they move to mutilating humans.

there were other cat mutilation periods in Miami?:(

What I find most disturbing is that (I believe) all of the cats were found dead in their own yards. So, someone finds the cats, kills them and returns them to their yards or the cats were all just killed in their yards. When I had an out door cat, she wandered around and didn't always stay in my yard:(

My cat too, Daisy. when I got her, I wasn't knowledgable about cats (I'm a dog person). If I had been, I never would have allowed her to be an outdoor cat. Because of my ignorance, she is positive for kitty AIDS. She stays in the yard now and is in the house more than half the time but if I had known better.....

This situation in Miami makes my skin crawl in a way that few things do. Cats are not everyone's kind of pet, but they are loving and affectionate and very entertaining. How anyone could harm a cat the way these poor creatures have been harmed is beyond anything I can fathom. I can't even read the posts on this thread because it makes me feel sick.

I've always kept my cats inside because I was afraid they'd contract feline AIDS or leukemia if they wandered outside and met up with other cats. I was also afraid they'd roam and never make it home. At the same time, I felt bad that they never had the chance to do what cats do: run around outside, stake their territories, and hunt. Now I believe that a sheltered life indoors is clearly the better of the evils.

Somewhere out there is a profoundy disturbed, sadistic cretin who thrives on the suffering of small animals. That alone is stomach-turning. What will happen if this person isn't caught soon and graduates to people?

Police Arrest Suspect In Cat Killings
Cats Slain In Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, Kendall

POSTED: Saturday, June 13, 2009
UPDATED: 7:54 am EDT June 14, 2009
PALMETTO BAY, Fla. -- Police have arrested the man they say is responsible for a string of cat killings in South Florida.

Tyler Weiman, 18, lives in the area and is now in police custody, police said. He is charged with 19 counts of animal cruelty, 4 counts of burglary and 19 counts of improper disposing of an animal body

"Our communities of Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay have been on edge for many weeks now because of the horrific and unspeakable slaughterings of many of their beloved feline pets. I sincerely hope that with his arrest, the residents will feel relieved and their cats will be safe once again. It is expected that the vicious crimes that have plagued these communities will not be repeated," said Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle.

Circuit Judge Darryl Trawick signed the arrest warrant and the investigation continues.

(snipped)

http://www.justnews.com/news/19747620/detail.html

Wow I look at the article and read "man" and see his pic and he's a kid! So glad they caught him...he's bound to move on to bigger things. I think we'll hear his name again one day sadly.

Is that his drivers license pic or his mugshot? Cause if that's his mugshot, considering what he's arrested for.....that's creepy. He looks very pleased.

Police Arrest Suspect In Cat Killings
Cats Slain In Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, Kendall

POSTED: Saturday, June 13, 2009
UPDATED: 7:54 am EDT June 14, 2009
PALMETTO BAY, Fla. -- Police have arrested the man they say is responsible for a string of cat killings in South Florida.

Tyler Weiman, 18, lives in the area and is now in police custody, police said. He is charged with 19 counts of animal cruelty, 4 counts of burglary and 19 counts of improper disposing of an animal body

"Our communities of Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay have been on edge for many weeks now because of the horrific and unspeakable slaughterings of many of their beloved feline pets. I sincerely hope that with his arrest, the residents will feel relieved and their cats will be safe once again. It is expected that the vicious crimes that have plagued these communities will not be repeated," said Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle.

Circuit Judge Darryl Trawick signed the arrest warrant and the investigation continues.

(snipped)

http://www.justnews.com/news/19747620/detail.html

I think we may be looking at the face of the next serial killer. I wonder if he gave a reason for what he did? But then, there is no reason I guess.
The look on his face!!! I wish he could suffer like he made those poor kitties suffer. :behindbar :furious:

Wow I look at the article and read "man" and see his pic and he's a kid! So glad they caught him...he's bound to move on to bigger things. I think we'll hear his name again one day sadly.

I'm glad they are saying "man" even though he looks like a punk-*advertiser censored** jerk...this means LE, the judicial system, etc are serious about the crime ??? I HOPE!!

(sorry--I don't usually use expressions like the one above--but this guy makes my blood boil!!)

What a creep. The look on his face says 'future SK and happy about it'.

I would say that his drivers license picture. I'm wondering if he was caught in the act since it was happening nearly daily and he was being watched. I think I read that he was brought in in the early hours Sunday morning. Sick *advertiser censored*!!! It just blows my mind when I look at his pic since I have teen boys....I can't imagine how his parents feel. Would love to hear from them. There had to be signs I would think.

his myspace is full of beer and fireworks. now not all kids who drink early and use fireworks kill animals... but where are the parents? his myspace is public. the parents should have been all over this kid. :furious:

Thank God he's an adult so he can be tried as one, though that won't really do the poor kitties much good. I bet you he'll be out on parole and killing again within the next year, and I bet his parents are scum too for raising a child like this.

Cat killings strike me on a very tender emotional level, since I relate very well to them and indeed my best friends are my cats. They can sometimes be "catty" or feisty but they don't mean any harm. I have cried for hours upon hearing about cases of cat torture. Cats, for all their cunning, can be so trusting and can get lured into a trap, which is probably what this waste-of-life did. At least those kitties can now frolic in fields of catnip in kitty heaven and don't have to endure anything like this again. :(

I really hope he's off the streets for a long time, but I doubt it will happen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back