FL - Cats being mutilated and killed in miami-dade, fl

Thank God he's an adult so he can be tried as one, though that won't really do the poor kitties much good. I bet you he'll be out on parole and killing again within the next year, and I bet his parents are scum too for raising a child like this.

Cat killings strike me on a very tender emotional level, since I relate very well to them and indeed my best friends are my cats. They can sometimes be "catty" or feisty but they don't mean any harm. I have cried for hours upon hearing about cases of cat torture. Cats, for all their cunning, can be so trusting and can get lured into a trap, which is probably what this waste-of-life did. At least those kitties can now frolic in fields of catnip in kitty heaven and don't have to endure anything like this again. :(

I really hope he's off the streets for a long time, but I doubt it will happen.
I feel the same way you do. My cats are my children!

Animal cruelty in Florida is a 3rd degree felony ~ punishment is up to 5 years in prison and/or a $10,000.00 fine.

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/state_cruelty_chart.pdf

I am hoping this perp will be in the courtroom of a strict judge who issues the maximum sentence for each offense. :behindbar Unfortunately that still isn't what the monster who committed these heinous acts deserves. :furious: MOO

Good riddance to this ! It's too bad they can't lock him up and throw away the key. I have a feeling that several lives were saved by getting this psycho off the streets because we all know eventually he would start killing people. It's just too bad that those beautiful animals had to come into contact with him. We can only hope that they didn't suffer.

Animal cruelty in Florida is a 3rd degree felony ~ punishment is up to 5 years in prison and/or a $10,000.00 fine.

I am hoping this perp will be in the courtroom of a strict judge who issues the maximum sentence for each offense. :behindbar Unfortunately that still isn't what the monster who committed these heinous acts deserves. :furious: MOO

The scary thing is, 5 years in prison probably won't change this guy...I'm not a psychiatrist but I think he's a sociopath. He'll get out and do something even worse--and probably to humans as well as animals.

I think we may be looking at the face of the next serial killer. I wonder if he gave a reason for what he did? But then, there is no reason I guess.
The look on his face!!! I wish he could suffer like he made those poor kitties suffer. :behindbar :furious:

Columbo -
snipped from article: http://www.justnews.com/news/19747620/detail.html
"Neighbors said the teen's parents are divorced and he spends his time between homes belonging to his mother and father.

According to neighbors, the father lives on the corner of SW 82nd Avenue and 182nd Street. The house is a sprawling two-story home. It is well manicured and on the front window there is a sticker the reads,” Cat Finder, In case of a fire please rescue the cat.”"

Sounds like maybe the kid was jealous of daddy's kitty???? :mad:

I'll be surprised if he goes to jail.

Columbo -
snipped from article: http://www.justnews.com/news/19747620/detail.html
"Neighbors said the teen's parents are divorced and he spends his time between homes belonging to his mother and father.

According to neighbors, the father lives on the corner of SW 82nd Avenue and 182nd Street. The house is a sprawling two-story home. It is well manicured and on the front window there is a sticker the reads,” Cat Finder, In case of a fire please rescue the cat.”"

Sounds like maybe the kid was jealous of daddy's kitty???? :mad:

Oh my god, I wonder--it sounds likely. Thanks, IWannaKnow. Great sleuthing on your part.

From the justnews.com article a few posts above:

"Detectives said they believe Weinman is the ringleader in a group that stalked, captured, mutilated and killed neighborhood cats. Police would not further comment on other possible suspects."

A group of cat-killers???

I highly doubt he is gonna get anything but a slap on the wrist. Its gonna be a sad day when he starts murdering people. Then the police will act so shocked. Its sickening.

Weinman had a preliminary hearing today, but for some reason his attorney didn't show. It sounds like from this video that they'll try again later today (if the lawyer shows up, that is).

http://cbs4.com/local/cat.cats.mutilated.2.1044730.html

The kid is very polite. He said "good morning" and "thank you" to the judge.

The updated article at the link above states that the judge has now set bond for Weinman at nearly $250,000. I think I read that his father is a dentist, so the dad might be able to handle it.

Arraignment will be July 6th.

The scary thing is, 5 years in prison probably won't change this guy...I'm not a psychiatrist but I think he's a sociopath. He'll get out and do something even worse--and probably to humans as well as animals.
I completely agree. I did read that the FL law includes mandatory psychiatric evaluation, etc., but still I'm not seeing someone who could commit these henious acts ever being "cured". :mad: MOO

The updated article at the link above states that the judge has now set bond for Weinman at nearly $250,000. I think I read that his father is a dentist, so the dad might be able to handle it.

Arraignment will be July 6th.
I read yesterday it was just over $150,000 but even with the higher amount it's still scary that he could be released on bail. Hopefully IF he gets out he'll have to be on a GPS monitoring device and house confinement ~ similar to Casey Anthony. :mad: MOO

This case was discussed on HLN tonight. It was said that usually murderers start out with killing animals.

This case was discussed on HLN tonight. It was said that usually murderers start out with killing animals.
I heard that also. It was briefly discussed on JVM's "Issues" and also stated that he must undergo a mandatory psychiatric evaluation before bail can be discussed further. I still think if and when he is granted bail he should be confined to inside his house with a monitoring device. :furious: MOO

This case has been one that I honestly have had trouble reading about. Maybe there is something wrong with me that makes it almost harder to read about animal abuse than human abuse......???? :waitasec: In any case, I think some people are simply born broken, or they become broken.....and they can't be fixed. There is no way to transplant a conscience into someone. I feel bad for his friends who were clueless.....can you imagine? I would be willing to bet he has friends who are a lot like him, however. Kids his age still need to "share" what they do with at least one other individual. He either had a partner in his crimes, or he confided early on to someone else, IMHO.

http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/1098001.html

Alleged cat mutilator Tyler Weinman is no stranger to feline anatomy -- he dissected the animals last year in class at Palmetto High.

That revelation came Monday, the same day a judge ordered Weinman, 18, to stay in jail for 48 hours pending a psychiatric evaluation. He is accused of slaughtering 19 house cats across South Miami-Dade.

Palmetto High anatomy teacher Lynn Evans, a self-described animal lover, said she was shocked to learning her quiet former student had been arrested and charged with cruelty to animals.

''I don't know how we can bridge the gap between a controlled [classroom] situation, to what this disturbed young man has done,'' Evans said in an interview, adding that about 8,000 of her students have dissected cats during her 24 years of teaching anatomy.

The investigation into the mutilated cats -- found strewn throughout South Miami-Dade -- has for weeks riveted South Florida, terrorized pet owners and sparked massive media attention.

Weinman was charged Sunday with 19 counts of felony animal cruelty, 19 counts of improperly disposing of an animal body and four counts of burglary.

(snipped)

Great link Daisy with video...this guy seems so smug. I wanna smack him!

I'm glad they are saying "man" even though he looks like a punk-*advertiser censored** jerk...this means LE, the judicial system, etc are serious about the crime ??? I HOPE!!

(sorry--I don't usually use expressions like the one above--but this guy makes my blood boil!!)

He definitely has some serious issues. It appears that's not his mug shot but if it's a normal picture of him it seems odd. I don't have and photo's of me like that when I was 18? :waitasec:

If he gets 18 five year consecutive terms it works out to 90 years. Unfortunately if the judge were to sentence him to that he would get it greatly reduced on appeal.

I believe a lot of people in the justice system know that. I'm hoping he's put away for life because if he comes out with any semblance of strength he will either start killing animals or people. Nobody knows if given proper psychiatric care if that can be avoided or not. I'm guessing the kid ends up with 20 years and he'll be paroled around 10 years. JMO

This case has been one that I honestly have had trouble reading about. Maybe there is something wrong with me that makes it almost harder to read about animal abuse than human abuse......???? :waitasec: In any case, I think some people are simply born broken, or they become broken.....and they can't be fixed. There is no way to transplant a conscience into someone. I feel bad for his friends who were clueless.....can you imagine? I would be willing to bet he has friends who are a lot like him, however. Kids his age still need to "share" what they do with at least one other individual. He either had a partner in his crimes, or he confided early on to someone else, IMHO.

Somebody I heard interviewed during the Michael Vick stuff said, that because animals are helpless we feel deeper sorrow. If a woman is killed by an abusive husband most people think she had the option to leave him and therefore don't feel as much sympathy.

I'm not saying that's true or not but it is an interesting theory.

Here's some stuff from some of the articles that have been posted;

Linkage

"If he didn't do it, somebody really framed him really good," said Weinman's friend, Alex Falgons.

Falgons said he has known Weinman since middle school and suspects the killing spree had to do with his new stepmother, who recently moved into Weinman's father's home in Palmetto Bay with at least a dozen of her cats.

It sounds to me like an issue of attention. If this woman had twelve cats that she moved in with her new husband and his kid I can see some resentment on his part. I'm certainly not excusing him just trying to understand the issues that pushed him over the edge. It seems, to me, that his past brushes with the law were an attempt to get attention.

Linkage

Clad in a padded gown for inmates considered potentially suicidal, Weinman made his first appearance in Miami-Dade Circuit Court Monday via closed-circuit television from jail. The courtroom was packed with local and national journalists.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Mindy Glazer ordered Weinman held on $249,500 bond, and ordered a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether he is a risk to himself or others. If and when he is released, he will be on house arrest, monitored via an electronic ankle bracelet.

''I'm concerned about his safety and the safety of the community,'' Glazer said.

I'm glad to see that he will be given a monitoring bracelet if and when released. The suicide watch just makes me believe even more in the attention theory.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back