FL - Harold Lima, 21 mos, dies in hot truck, Stuart, 10 Aug 2006

CyberLaw said:
O.K. some smart person has to come up with a method and device to prevent this from happening.

For example: An alarm, that is set when a child is placed in the back seat, so every 5 minutes or so the alarm goes off to "remind" the parent that the child is in a car seat or in the back seat, or a "camera" that is in the front seat so the parent can "see" the child is in the back seat.....I don't care what device, method, alarm, etc. just something..........to prevent the needless and preventable deaths of young children....
Why couldn't there be a reverse seatbelt alarm that once the ignition is turned off or the key removed and a child seat buckle is still completes the circuit( still locked) then the alram goes off.. and it sounds in not only the car but on the keychain as well.. so you can't quickly get out and walk away without hearing the alarm within the car. it would require a electrical connection between the seat and the car but I would think cars could be modified rather easily to allow the same alarm for the car to be used in this case or one that would slightly alter the pattern or tone of the alarm for this purpose...just a thougt...

OPME: Good idea, I am not an "engineer" or a designer of a car, but a good thought.....

Jeana: With all due respect, considering this thread and many, many other cases, eyeballs should work, but don't. What some parents do need, is not only the eyeballs in the front of their head, but at the back too. Then I can see eyeballs working.

For some reason, I devloped a "habit" of looking back to where I had been, to see if I had fogotten anything. This started when I was rather younger, and it just spilled over to the kids.

But I can understand a bag, or coat on a bench, but a child in your car, I just don't understand, how anyone can forget a child in a car seat.

Maybe instead of having "Baby on Board" sticker in the back window, maybe one should be designed as "Did you forget your "Baby on Board is in the backseat" sticker on the front dash or a "recording" that says the same.

Something.....has to be done......

I agree some alarm system for parents would not hurt but any one that includes unlocked the car seat is not safe as manufacterers reccommend that once the seat is installed it not be removed.

Constant removal tends to lead to parents (& caregvers) not being as cautious about installation and thereby putting the baby in harms way should an accident occur.

CyberLaw said:
OPME: Good idea, I am not an "engineer" or a designer of a car, but a good thought.....

Jeana: With all due respect, considering this thread and many, many other cases, eyeballs should work, but don't. What some parents do need, is not only the eyeballs in the front of their head, but at the back too. Then I can see eyeballs working.

For some reason, I devloped a "habit" of looking back to where I had been, to see if I had fogotten anything. This started when I was rather younger, and it just spilled over to the kids.

But I can understand a bag, or coat on a bench, but a child in your car, I just don't understand, how anyone can forget a child in a car seat.

Maybe instead of having "Baby on Board" sticker in the back window, maybe one should be designed as "Did you forget your "Baby on Board is in the backseat" sticker on the front dash or a "recording" that says the same.

Something.....has to be done......

Unless someone is blind, LOOKING would work. People with children need to SLOW the HELL DOWN and watch out for their own kids. Technology is terrific, but it doesn't take the place of a watchful parent.

This little guys name was Harold. I would like to see systems installed in the cars that can be set by the parent that will flash saying "baby onboard". They can call it the "HAROLD". Just something to remind a parent who knows they are the forgetful type.

Beyond Belief said:
This little guys name was Harold. I would like to see systems installed in the cars that can be set by the parent that will flash saying "baby onboard". They can call it the "HAROLD". Just something to remind a parent who knows they are the forgetful type.

What happens the fiirst time "Harold" doesn't work and the kid stays in the car all day and dies? Now its not mom or dad's fault any more, its the manufacturer's fault. It seems to me that this is what people are looking for. Someone besides mom and dad to blame. The bottom line is that buck stops with the idiot who left the kid in the car. Parents take some responsibility for your kids and your own actions.

Somebodys got to do something. I 'm sure u read the artilce of the other little one this week that got left in a truck while dad was at meeting. People need to focus. Children will keep dying unless something changes. There are people walking around out there that can't remember from one minute to the next. I am constantly seeing people with alarms going off on their beepers and cells phones so they remember things. Its enough to drive a sane person crazy, but thats they way the world is unfortunately heading.

To say: Look in the back seat, you child is there, is all good and well in theory and most parents are responsible, BUT even those responsible parents can have a lapse in "judgement" that has horrible consequences.

We know this happens, time and time again, what I would like to see is a device or method so it does not happen again, just in case, somewhere, somehow, some parent is not as responsible that one day.

But the problem: No parent THINKS it is going to happen to them, no parent is going to think: Gee, I should take precautions to install some device just in case I forget my child. They think, there is no way on this planet that I will forget my child. You always think it will never happen to you.

I was watchng Mommy 911 and a Dad while rushing into a house with grocery items, behind schedule, expecting dinner guests, under the clock, frazzled, out of sorts in unfamiliar territory, rushed all three older kids into the house and only when one of the other kids said: Hey where is the baby, that he realized that he forgot him in the car.

This is not an unintellient person,, nor unresponsible person, thank goodness it was not for long, but the baby was screaming.........

He was like: I cannot believe that I forgot our baby son in the car, I cannot believe I did that. How did I do that......

One time....that is all it takes......

It only takes one time out of 1000 and a parent is responsible 999 times. It is the 1 time that the child dies. That day......that one tme.....the other 999 times you look in the back, but today was different for some reason and you had a lapse in judgement and responsiblity and a child dies.......as we all know, if a child dies at 21 months, he has obviously been in the car during the 20 months and mom took him out of the car and "used her eyeballs" to know he was there.

But one day, she did not and the consequences are tragic.

I am sorry but if you "forget" your child in the car, you should NOT have kids! That is insane. I know people get busy but maybe they need to concern theirselves with their childs safety more then their dinner parties. Thats my opinion.:twocents:

I have been reading the replies to the thread and have read articles that seem to keep popping up with the same scenario......there's nothing that will ever make me understand!!!!! The thought of a device sounds just ridiculous....I mean I understand it's purpose and all and it could save lives, but I don't understand why this problem is even happening to begin with! :confused: The thought of forgetting your child is in the vehicle with you is just SAD!!!!!! Seriously, I don't get it...busy life, hectic day, whatever...don't get it and never will!!!!

Sassygerl said:
I have been reading the replies to the thread and have read articles that seem to keep popping up with the same scenario......there's nothing that will ever make me understand!!!!! The thought of a device sounds just ridiculous....I mean I understand it's purpose and all and it could save lives, but I don't understand why this problem is even happening to begin with! :confused: The thought of forgetting your child is in the vehicle with you is just SAD!!!!!! Seriously, I don't get it...busy life, hectic day, whatever...don't get it and never will!!!!
I feel the same way, I dont get it either. To me it is just a mystery.

The other child that died like this week was i think 5 months old, with the dad. He went off to his classes and forgot the child was left in the car. Who knows what was on his mind, but it wasn't the child. A reminder to him would have saved the childs life.
We have to have reminders to take the keys out of the car, whats the big deal about a child alarm, monitor or whatever for people who want it. Every brain doesn't function the same.
I can bet if I had a small child in my car, and had a "harold" alarm going off everytime I opened the door, I would never forget what happened to harold. Thats the idea, to train the parents minds to remember what happened to Harold.

While I know the reminder might help some.....I wouldn't be caught dead with a DING DING DING and flashing lights to remind me MY child was with me. Thankfully breathing is involuntary :D

---no offense to anyone, I just honestly don't understand it!!!! It's that simple!

I've heard so many of these stories and I always think its such a shame but I know it can happen to the best of us. When my daughter was born I was working as a nanny for 3 school age boys. She was about 4 months old when I took the boys to check class lists for the up coming school year. We all got out of the car, walked accross the street and up to the front office when I realized we (I) had left my daughter behind! It was an awful hot day and I was MORTIFIED! We ran back to the car and someone had already noticed (it had been about two or three min) and was on the phone with police. I got lucky, but so many others have not. :(

I know I have, but usually talking a mile a minute to someone with me. Only for an instant though. I can remember saying, "good grief, she's so quiet, i forgot she was in the car".

Im sorry..but I dont see the need for car makers to install a warning device.
You have your child in the backseat......how could you forget that:waitasec:

I'd bet that if you asked any of the people who have forgotten their children in cars if they ever thought it was something they might do, they'd also have sworn there was no way. Unfortunately, these things do happen. If I had small kids and there were a device that would alarm me if I'd left them in the car, I'd have it installed just to be on the safe side. I'd be ashamed as all get out if it ever went off, but at least my child would be alive.

I remember reading the thread earlier in the week where the father forgot about his baby and changed vehicles, leaving the baby in his car parked right at the police station. It was interesting to see that there was no one pointing fingers at the father, everyone was sympathetic and saying how tragic etc. In hearing that it is a mother who forgets, more fingers are pointing and she is being charged. It seems people can forgive a father for forgetting a baby is back there because he's not seen as the main caregiver but a mother is expected to have such a strong maternal instict it is impossible for her to forget her baby back there.
Some of the powers that be need to do a documentary, let the public hear from the mothers, fathers, caregivers that have actually been involved in these tragic cases, make it more real to everyone that yes it does and can happen to anybody. The most responsible, the most intelligent. Never say never! Maybe local radio stations can ask on the air, Have you dropped your child off at daycare? every morning during the rush hour show. Maybe parents should have it arranged so if their child is not dropped off at day care as usual the center will call to ask them why haven't they showed up yet? Maybe employers should ask someone to take a walk through their parking lots to take a visual check of all cars to see if any babies are in the back. Maybe one life can be saved and a nightmare you'll never wake up from be avoided.

OB

I think that there is too much "pass the buck" going on with parenting these days. There are must too many excuses. Raising children is the hardest thing on this earth to do. It takes time and it takes patience. If a parent is in such a big hurry that they'll forget they've got a kid with them, I doubt if a flashing light is going to help. If kids came first, as they should, this wouldn't be happening.

STUART </B>— Wilson Filho dreamed those dreams that fathers do and, in his, little Harold would grow up to be a Brazilian soccer star.

At 21 months old, the energetic toddler loved playing the world's game outside the family home in working-class Golden Gate, bordering a dirt lot perfect for kicking the ball around.
But this father's hopes were snatched away Thursday when his son was found dead in the family truck, and his wife was charged with aggravated manslaughter for allegedly forgetting the boy in his car seat for eight hours as she cleaned houses and ran errands, Stuart police said.
"He was the best little boy I ever met in my life. He was the best little boy ever made," the sobbing father said from his home Friday. "I knew if he lived he would have made me very proud of him."

The loss of Harold shrouded in tragedy the criminal case against mom Nellier "Nelly" Lima, 26, who was held Friday in the Martin County jail without bail. Prosecutors can proceed in several directions after reviewing the evidence in the coming days: officially file the charge as is, upgrade to a tougher charge, reduce the charge or drop the case.

The current charge is punishable by a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison. "I need the most support right now for my wife. She's in jail. I don't know what's going to turn out (for) her," said Filho, whose family remains in Brazil. "It's a tragic accident and a tragic loss. We love our kids dearly. And whatever happened, it was a tragedy. It was nothing masterminded and nothing wrong (done by) her."
<snip>

While many in the community expressed outrage at the mother, those who know Lima said the charge against her is completely unrepresentative of how she cared for little Harold.

"Hasn't she been punished enough? She just lost her baby," said Palm City resident Jan Dalcorso, 55, who has rented her Golden Gate home to the couple for about a year.

"Nellier has always been a wonderful mother. If she couldn't find a job that allowed her to be with her kids, she didn't take it. Her life revolves around those kids ... "This is just a horrible accident. People shouldn't be judging her," she said. "They should be saying prayers that she can get through this."

more at the link http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_4910155,00.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back