FL - Harold Lima, 21 mos, dies in hot truck, Stuart, 10 Aug 2006

SewingDeb said:
Several people I have talked to say this mother must have been on drugs to forget her child. Just throwing that out there because I have no way of knowing if it is true or not.

yep...it was my first thought also....it wouldn't surprise me

Beyond Belief said:
After some discussion with some others today, we think maybe a sensor in the carseat itself would be the direction to go in. These special carseats of course could be purchased at any store. It was suggested the sensor/tone would be trigger much like the ones in hospital beds that have patients get out of their beds when they shouldn't get up, the sensor signals the nurses station that the patient is out of bed.

Just another idea.

man, that leaves me w/a sick/sad feeling...we now need carseats w/sensors, so we won't forget our children are in them :(

close_enough said:
yep...it was my first thought also....it wouldn't surprise me

I think it's possible. We'll see what comes out on this.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

STUART — A Martin Circuit judge set bond at $35,000 this morning for Nellier Lima, the 26-year-old mother facing aggravated manslaughter charges in the death of her 21-month old son.

Lima's son, Harold, died Aug. 10 after he was left sleeping in his car seat in Lima's pickup truck.
<snip>
Lima's husband, Wilson Filho, hung his head and cried after Schack announced his ruling, while friends and family smiled and patted him on the back.

"I believe this judge has a heart," Filho said after the hearing. "I have faith in the American justice system."

<snip>
When Lima is released, she will not be allowed to return home to her husband and 6-year-old daughter, Schack ruled.

Lima's sister, Tatiana Mota, said Lima will live with her at her Stuart apartment just minutes away from the family home on Ellendale Street in the Golden Gate neighborhood.
<snip>
Schack also imposed a 6:30 p.m. curfew on Lima and said she will have to give up her Brazilian passport before she is allowed to leave jail.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/treasurecoast/content/local_news/epaper/2006/08/23/0823mcbaby.html

I hope she was given some counciling while in jail. I don't really care what has to be invented to prevent things like this. Just somebody do something about it.

Maybe this has already been brought up but our F150 has a "seatbelt detector" device that sounds if a person in the seat person is not wearing their seatbelt. My husband refuses to wear his and locks it behind himself. Apparently is feels weight because if there is no passenger, it doesn't sound.

If manufacturers can come up with that for front passengers, then they can do if for anyone in the back. A car seat has weight! We all daydream while driving to our destinations so I can't totally blame her. I just wish God would let us keep our angels a little longer!

STUART — The mother who left her baby boy in a hot SUV plead no contest to aggravated manslaughter in a plea deal today that earned her two years of house arrest and 10 years of probation, to be served consecutively.

Nellier "Nelly" Lima, 26, was also adjudicated guilty in the death of 21-month-old Harold Lima.
The mother told police she forgot the boy was sleeping in his car seat Aug. 10 as she went about her day, dropping her daughter off at school, cleaning a house and going shopping at the Dollar General store in Stuart.
That's where she realized she forgot about Harold

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_5163465,00.html

michelle said:
I swear I am so tired of seeing this kind of stuff. Am I the only person who thinks about their child on and off all day long? I mean for crying out loud how do you forget a child? Please someone help me understand? I mean there has to be something to do to put a stop to this!!!!

Ditto here. How do you forget about your kid?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back