FL FL - Mark Jackson, 35, Fort Lauderdale, 27 June 2004

You make really good points about the guest Ghostwheel.

I also agree that the camera problem is fishy. Wonder if it usually worked or if it was known to have problems.

Everything just looked so normal in the surveillance video but it was just a snippet.

Got busy today but I will google in the morning to see if the local newspapers have anything new.

Bumping for Mark - has anyone heard anything new on this?

Well, it has been over a month now that Mark is missing. There is no more coverage of his case. I guess people have lost interest in it. I check two or three times a day to see if there is any new information but there is nothing. Some cases get so much coverage and others just don't. I guess there is just not enough scandal and intrigue or people just don't relate to a gay man like they do a young girl or pregnant woman who is missing.

Bumping for Mark - may he be found soon.....

KRD1969 said:
Well, it has been over a month now that Mark is missing. There is no more coverage of his case. I guess people have lost interest in it. I check two or three times a day to see if there is any new information but there is nothing. Some cases get so much coverage and others just don't. I guess there is just not enough scandal and intrigue or people just don't relate to a gay man like they do a young girl or pregnant woman who is missing.
There are several problems here. The man has been an independent person for many years, he didn't live with anyone who would be out there beating the bushes for him, and people don't want to be politically incorrect about the gay angle(out clubbing, new friend, etc). I thiink if anyone had the guts to play up the gay angle, even erroneously, it'd get a lot more coverage. They only love a story people will read. "Nice, middle aged man goes missing" isn't exciting. "Man disappears after taking home man he went night club hopping with at local gay clubs." is a lot more sensationalistic, if not misleading, and would get more attention. Then the real facts could come out. Sometimes it's how well you play the media.

I find that the cases that get the most coverage are not only young girls or pregnant women, but the ones with the families, friends, community that get out there and are vocal. That usually isn't true of missing men cases.

You are right Ghostwheel. I had not really thought about it that way. There has not been much information out there and what is out there is very non-descript. The only article I found that talked much about the out of town visitor and gay club was a gay periodical. If that whole angle was talked up, it might get more publicity. Maybe his parents did not want Marks personal business out there for everyone to see. They may be embarassed just for the fact that some of the articles did describe him as gay.

Personally, I'd rather have a gay son than a missing gay son.

amandab said:
Personally, I'd rather have a gay son than a missing gay son.
You just never know how people are though. I don't know his parents, so I don't know how they were with the whole gay thing. Its sad but some parents don't think the same way you do.

I know....it is sad. One of my very best friends happens to be a gay man, and his family has taken quite a closed-minded view of things. Almost as if they don't acknowledge it, it isn't true.

Breaks my heart. :-(

Amanda,
Thanks so much for finding that article and posting it. It makes me feel so much better to see there is more coverage on this. It says that Americas Most Wanted is doing a piece on his disapearance. Maybe that will help.

No but I think about this case alot. It seems so mysterious. I hope there's alot more going on behind the scenes to figure this out.

Bumping for Mark...I pray he is well.

-Amanda

Has anyone heard anything new regarding Mark and has anyone heard anymore about America's Most Wanted doing a story on him?

I checked the AMW website, and there isn't any info on Mark. :-( I did send them an e-mail asking for more information....I'll let you know what I hear from them.

I got a response from America's Most Wanted and they said that Mark's story is suppose to air on September 25. They said to check the website closer to the 25th just to make sure but that is the scheduled date as of right now. I sure hope that the national coverage will spark some interest in Mark's case and some new news will surface. I really dread hearing the news but there needs to be closure, especially for his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back