FL FL - Pat Carter, 62, & Kelly Moriarty (fnd dec'd), 38, Bradenton, 17 Dec 2011

I have not heard about these two women until today and I am right here in Bradenton. Only today is there news coverage because of the limb being identified as belonging to Kelly.

Im not really sure if Doris is a victim or not. In the news story there is mention of restraining orders and a sometimes volitile relationship so its hard to say.

wow, I sure hope that her partner did not murder her. Seems there was quite a bit of drama betwee the two. In one of the articules it talks about them claiming assaults on each other.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...issing-bradenton-woman-her-plant-city/1222152

Snipped:

Carter said Moriarty had pushed and threatened her at St. Petersburg's Georgie's Alibi bar, where they often went to dance.

Two weeks later, Moriarty filed her own injunction against Carter. The allegations were similar, but in reverse.

Authorities are asking for the public's help on the whereabouts of two missing women, one of them from Bradenton, after a severed leg that washed ashore matched with one of the women's DNA.

The mystery that spans three counties began Dec. 17 when Doris Carter, 62, of Plant City, left her home with Kelly Moriarty, of Bradenton. The women have been in a romantic relationship for about two years, authorities said.

On Dec. 27, a severed leg washed ashore at 6990 4th St. S. in St. Petersburg.

Two days later, Manatee County Sheriff's Office deputies impounded Moriarty's vehicle off State Road 62 and held the car in their impound lot. The car was later searched, but there was no evidence of a crime.

On Jan. 27, the apartment manager where Moriarty lived contacted Moriarty's brother who is listed on her lease as the emergency contact.

When the brother went into Moriarty's condominium at Palms of Cortez in Bradenton, Christmas presents had not been opened. Bradenton police then began investigating her disappearance.

During an unrelated case, St. Petersburg police told Hillsborough sheriff's office investigators of the severed leg.

The families of both women provided samples of their DNA. On Friday, the Pinellas County Medical Examiner's Office said Moriarty's DNA was a match and that the severed leg had been in the water for one or two days, McKinnon said.

And because Moriarty's Christmas presents were still wrapped, the possible time frame of what happened to the couple lies somewhere between Dec. 17 through Dec. 25, McKinnon said.

"That answers some big questions," McKinnon said," but added that "it's created a lot more."

Among the missing pieces of information: authorities haven't found a crime scene, don't know where the rest of Moriarty's remains are located, and Carter is still missing.

McKinnon said it is unknown if Carter is a suspect, but "she may just well be a victim as Kelly is and we just haven't found out."

The two women's financial accounts and phone records have also been inactive, McKinnon said

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/03/28/3967549/authorities-seek-help-in-missing.html#storylink=cpy

No banking or phone activity for either lady's accounts leads me to believe Ms Carter is more likely another victim than perp. Is this missing case just now becoming news? Please don't tell me it's because they are gay!

No banking or phone activity for either lady's accounts leads me to believe Ms Carter is more likely another victim than perp. Is this missing case just now becoming news? Please don't tell me it's because they are gay!

Sadly I am thinking it is because no one noticed, or if they noticed just didn't know what to do. According to the timeline it wasn't until Jan. that the manager notified the brother. That's the first real clue that anyone noticed. Though I am sure the landlord must have noticed before then and just didn't know if he should do something or if they were just away for some reason.

I wonder how the leg was removed from the torso? Was it severed, animal activity or what? How far from home was the car found? Can friends help to trace where and when the women might have been going in that area?

TIMELINE (I thought I would make one because this case has a lot of dates involved. Feel free to add to it, anyone!)

December 16th, 2011: Kelly Moriarty and Doris Carter last seen at Doris Carter's home (in Plant City, Florida)

December 17th, 2011
: Doris Carter's adult daughter (who lived with her mother at home) awoke and discovered Doris and Kelly were gone, as was Kelly's car.

December 20th, 2011: Manatee County Sheriffs Deputies find Kelly's car abandoned on the side of State Road 62, but it didn't contain any evidence of a crime.

December 27th, 2011: A severed leg washed ashore in St. Petersburg, Florida and was found by tourists. St. Petersburg Police examined it but couldn't determine a match between the severed leg and any crimes they were currently investigating.

January 27th, 2012: Moriarty's apartment complex calls her brother (the emergency contact on file) because her rent is overdue. Her brother went to her apartment and found her Christmas presents still wrapped. Concerned, he reported her missing to the Bradenton Police Department.

January 28th, 2012: Bradenton Police go to Doris Carter's home to search for Kelly Moriarty and Doris's daughter informs them she hasn't seen her mother or Kelly in over a month. She then reports her mother missing.

March 23rd, 2012
: DNA given by Kelly Moriarty's family matches the severed leg found in St. Petersburg, Florida. The medical examiners office estimated the severed leg had been in the water for 1-2 days.

January 28th, 2012: Bradenton Police go to Doris Carter's home to search for Kelly Moriarty and Doris's daughter informs them she hasn't seen her mother or Kelly in over a month. She then reports her mother missing.

Doris' daughter lives with her but doesn't report her missing until the police show up at the door more than a month later? Why the wait?

Doris' daughter lives with her but doesn't report her missing until the police show up at the door more than a month later? Why the wait?

I found that odd also. Her daughter told police that it wasn't unusual for her mom and Kelly to take trips and her not know where they went, but still...a month later? It seems her daughter only reported her missing because the cops were there questioning her about the two of them. I found it very strange.

I have seen no fliers of either of these two women in Bradenton. I have to pass by the area where Kelly lives and there was nothing posted anywhere about Kelly or Doris.

When I read that the daughter didn't report her mother missing until the police showed up was very suspicious to me. I highly doubt that Doris wouldn't connect with her daughter even if Doris and Kelly stayed at Kelly's place or went away for a few days.

I highly doubt that Kelly or Doris have a large bank account to take off for a month without the daughter being concerned. Something is clearly wrong with this picture.

Investigators are also turning to weather and marine experts for their advice and expertise.

Using tide, current and wind information, they hope to determine if Moriarty's leg was placed in the water from the north or the south. It may even help them focus the location of their investigation.

"They should have some conclusion to when that leg or where that leg was put in the water," said McKinnon.

Investigators say they're also working with the Pinellas County medical examiner to see if tests conducted on Moriarty's severed leg can help determine how she was killed.

Meanwhile, new information is also emerging about Moriarty's 1998 Cadillac. The car itself, although abandoned on the highway, appears to have been working just fine.

"There was no evidence that a crime had occurred inside that car," said McKinnon. "So it's just a mystery as to why it was left there and who it was left by."

Snipped: http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/247870/8/Agencies-joining-forces-to-solve-severed-leg-mystery

This is a very strange case. I also agree that something is off about the daughter not reporting them missing.

I hope that there are some clues to figuring out what happened :(

Identified:
HILLSBOROUGH -- Authorities are asking for the public's help on the whereabouts of two missing women, one of them from Bradenton, after a severed leg that washed ashore matched with one of the women's DNA.

~~~

The families of both women provided samples of their DNA. On Friday, the Pinellas County Medical Examiner's Office said Moriarty's DNA was a match and that the severed leg had been in the water for one or two days, McKinnon said.

And because Moriarty's Christmas presents were still wrapped, the possible time frame of what happened to the couple lies somewhere between Dec. 17 through Dec. 25, McKinnon said.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/03/28...p-in-missing.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

So, supposedly they disappeared the morning of the 17th and the leg washed ashore on the 27th. It's been determined the leg was in the water for up to 2 days, which points to either Christmas Day or the day after Christmas. Has it been determined if the person had died just prior to the leg being in the water or was the person deceased for a length of time before that? Also, if the death happened on the 25th or 26th, where were these two women until that time?

I travel to Plant City all the time to purchase stock. It's very, very rural...lots of farms and is best known for its strawberries. Bradenton is not far from there. But, was the car near any bodies of water that would connect to the area where the leg was found? This surely is an odd set of circumstances.

I have seen no fliers of either of these two women in Bradenton. I have to pass by the area where Kelly lives and there was nothing posted anywhere about Kelly or Doris.

When I read that the daughter didn't report her mother missing until the police showed up was very suspicious to me. I highly doubt that Doris wouldn't connect with her daughter even if Doris and Kelly stayed at Kelly's place or went away for a few days.

I highly doubt that Kelly or Doris have a large bank account to take off for a month without the daughter being concerned. Something is clearly wrong with this picture.

I think that no posters and not reporting her mom or Doris missing is a red flag. I agree, it is unlikely they had money to just take off, and it was nearing Christmas, wouldn't they want to spend time with family given they had presents wrapped and ready to go under the tree? That says they were planning to be around for Christmas.

One of the biggest reasons to cut up a body, is because it is too heavy for the perp to carry it to a disposal site. You also have to have a place to do this, and it would be very messy. You also have to have the stomach for it too. But people do it, we read about it often in homicide cases.

Is it just me? The impression I get is that Carter probably did something to Morarity and then cut her up, dumped her and took off. And the dau maybe helped with the cleanup. Although it is possible that DD did something to both of them.

IMO they will find Carter setting up housekeeping somewhere else, but it will be somewhere warm.

I don't even like my mother... and I would report her missing in less than a month. :twocents:

No
attempt to go see if they had been at the apartment complex?
No attempt to check in with police to make sure there hadn't been an accident?
Nothing? :what:
Is the daughter concerned at this point? What does she think happened?

If it was the son instead of the daughter... how would everyone feel about her not being reported missing? :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back