FL FL - Robert, 42, Helen, 34, & Joy Sims, 12, Tallahassee, 22 Oct 1966

The author, Henry Cabbage gave a presentation to the Tallahassee Historical Society. He showed 10 minutes of the 1987 interview of a woman who went to the Leon County Sheriffs office and spoke to Sheriff Larry Campbell. The interview is supposed to have lasted 4 hours. This woman who's initials are MCL (don't want to release the name) claims to have visited the Sims house the night of the murders. She gave this information in the guise of a dream and when the interview was about to conclude, she asked the sheriff what would happen if she confessed? The sheriff told her she would go to jail. That was the end of the interview.

Some back ground on MCL. At the time of the crime, she was 18 just out of high school. Her boyfriend, VBF was several years older. He lived close to the Sims residence. His father was a well connected professor of criminology at FSU.
She later married VBF. But in 1970 her picture was in the FSU student annual listed as MCL not MCF so they might not have gotten married until after 1970.

I ask myself why did she come forward in 1987? guilty conscience ? or something else.

What I have found out is both her parents died around 1985. In 1986, a woman named DB from nearby Quincy moved to South Florida
and Married VBF (the other suspect). So evidently, MCL divorced VBF sometimes shortly before 1986.

So the questions are : Did she come forward because she was free of VBF's controlling influence?
Did she come forward because she wanted to cause her ex trouble?.
Did she come forward due to the loss of her parents and husband and felt alone and abandoned?

Since I have not viewed the Video myself, I am reluctant to speculate on why the Sheriff did not take this video and other evidence to the grand jury, if nothing else to put pressure on the two suspects to cooperate. Or maybe more people to come forward with evidence.

Henry Cabbage who has the only copy of the video out side of the sheriffs office to my knowledge obtained the video from the sheriff in 2001. In the video a friend of MCL named PAS was mentioned by her. I have seen a site with the following information but I cannot verify this is true. Only Cabbage knows.

Cabbage showed the video to PAS. PAS claims that over the years MCL had made comments to her that backed up the scenario that MCL made in the video as a dream.

The author, Henry Cabbage gave a presentation to the Tallahassee Historical Society. He showed 10 minutes of the 1987 interview of a woman who went to the Leon County Sheriffs office and spoke to Sheriff Larry Campbell. The interview is supposed to have lasted 4 hours. This woman who's initials are MCL (don't want to release the name) claims to have visited the Sims house the night of the murders. She gave this information in the guise of a dream and when the interview was about to conclude, she asked the sheriff what would happen if she confessed? The sheriff told her she would go to jail. That was the end of the interview.

Some back ground on MCL. At the time of the crime, she was 18 just out of high school. Her boyfriend, VBF was several years older. He lived close to the Sims residence. His father was a well connected professor of criminology at FSU.
She later married VBF. But in 1970 her picture was in the FSU student annual listed as MCL not MCF so they might not have gotten married until after 1970.

I ask myself why did she come forward in 1987? guilty conscience ? or something else.

What I have found out is both her parents died around 1985. In 1986, a woman named DB from nearby Quincy moved to South Florida
and Married VBF (the other suspect). So evidently, MCL divorced VBF sometimes shortly before 1986.

So the questions are : Did she come forward because she was free of VBF's controlling influence?
Did she come forward because she wanted to cause her ex trouble?.
Did she come forward due to the loss of her parents and husband and felt alone and abandoned?

Since I have not viewed the Video myself, I am reluctant to speculate on why the Sheriff did not take this video and other evidence to the grand jury, if nothing else to put pressure on the two suspects to cooperate. Or maybe more people to come forward with evidence.

Henry Cabbage who has the only copy of the video out side of the sheriffs office to my knowledge obtained the video from the sheriff in 2001. In the video a friend of MCL named PAS was mentioned by her. I have seen a site with the following information but I cannot verify this is true. Only Cabbage knows.

Cabbage showed the video to PAS. PAS claims that over the years MCL had made comments to her that backed up the scenario that MCL made in the video as a dream.

Thanks for the update. I wonder if MCL participated? Did she try to intervene? And what was their motive? And I wonder if his father, the criminologist, had any knowledge of his son's alleged involvement?

Mike Williams was a realtor who disappeared duck hunting at a lake near Tallahassee. body was never found.
see link

www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/disappeared/.../mike-williams
Thanks. I remember watching Mike's case when it aired (note to others: the link didn't work for me, but I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to include links).
So why was Mike Williams' death mentioned on this board? Wasn't his wife suspected to be involved in his disappearance? Is there any connection between the two cases or did a poster just mention it because of proximity?

Thanks. I remember watching Mike's case when it aired (note to others: the link didn't work for me, but I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to include links).
So why was Mike Williams' death mentioned on this board? Wasn't his wife suspected to be involved in his disappearance?
Is there any connection between the two cases or did a poster just mention it because of proximity?

Sorry for confusion. The connection between cases is the investigators. Persons of interest were never named publicly in either case. Yes, I am referencing the good ol' boys system.

Sorry for confusion. The connection between cases is the investigators. Persons of interest were never named publicly in either case. Yes, I am referencing the good ol' boys system.

Are you saying that it really exists and is not a legend?? I'm being sarcastic. I lived in Tallahassee for a year when I was going to college. I always say it's more south than Tampa. Heck there are schools I've been told in the panhandle that have not caught on to seperation between church and state. IMO they're still a few decades behind up there and I'm confident they'd like to keep it that way.

No problem. I didn't realize that was going on in these cases. It's really unfair because none of the victims did anything to bring this upon themselves (anything I know of). I consider people who are willing to protect friends and family in regardless of the crime, to o be lazy and cowardly and without a moral compass.

So why was Mike Williams' death mentioned on this board? Wasn't his wife suspected to be involved in his disappearance? Is there any connection between the two cases or did a poster just mention it because of proximity?

No connection to the sims case. It was an answer to a question on this thread. One of the comments here was accusations that the Leon county covers up crime investigations, such as the Sims case and Mike Williams case.

Thanks for the update. I wonder if MCL participated? Did she try to intervene? And what was their motive? And I wonder if his father, the criminologist, had any knowledge of his son's alleged involvement?

Did MCL participate? She was the girlfriend of the second suspect VBF and later the wife. In her interview with Sheriff Campbell she claims to have been at the house that night. According to Cabbage she asked the sheriff "what happens if I confess".

Motive? Sheriff Campbell said at one time the crime was of sexual nature and necrophilia. But in 1966 sheriff Bill Joyce said the motive was not robbery or sex.

VBF's father was surely consulted in 1966 since he was head of FSU's criminology dept. But was his son mentioned in 1966 as a suspect or after the 1987 interview with MCF? If the son was a suspect in 1966 I would bet he knew about it.

As far as necrophilia, VBF's second wife died in 2012. I viewed the funeral home page and VBF posted a picture of his wife dead in the ICU. A horrible picture which I have never seen the likes before, anywhere. Why anyone would post such a picture on a memorial site or anywhere is beyond me.
I had a nightmare last night dreaming about that picture. Could not clear it out of my mind.

Are you saying that it really exists and is not a legend?? I'm being sarcastic. I lived in Tallahassee for a year when I was going to college. I always say it's more south than Tampa. Heck there are schools I've been told in the panhandle that have not caught on to seperation between church and state. IMO they're still a few decades behind up there and I'm confident they'd like to keep it that way.

I was a senior in HS in Tallahassee at the time of the Sims murders. It was a small town then and everybody seemed to know everybody. Yes, the law enforcement would go out of their way to avoid embarrassing the prominent citizens who were well connected with city leaders and the wealthy.

An Opinion: Tallahassee O Reader Writes About LCSO Sims Murder Case Investigation

April 16, 2012

Cop Reviews, Crimes, Freedom of the Press Group, Government Officials, Law Enforcement

I believe Sheriff Campbell is untruthful when he states he did not have enough for a conviction.

The 1987 video interview of the female suspect reveals the suspect saying:

“I went in there and looked at that body.”

“My God that kid with her clothes off lying on that floor…my God!”

“How could he be turned on by something like that?”

“How could he be interested in that ugly little girl?”

“I was looking at the kid lying on the floor.”

These are statements from the female suspect about the male suspect whom she married and was later divorced from. Don’t know why arrests were not made after these statements other than to protect the suspects and/or their families. This interview was in 1987 so the suspects have been at large (protected by Campbell?) 25 years after the interview. No wonder Campbell keeps this file to himself. He does not want anyone to know the truth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article written in 2012 and another one on this thread leads me to believe that others besides Cabbage has seen this video with a suspects comments at the sheriff's video interview.

The parents were tied up, blind folded and only shot in the head. The daughter was tied up, stabbed 7 times and shot in the head. I would suspect that the daughter was the object of the murderers because of the stabbings, and one newspaper article said her panties were pulled down to her ankles. This matches up with sheriff Campbell's theory of a sexual assault on the daughter after death possible , necrophilia and the statement made in the interview video with the female suspect.

The two suspect lived on the next street over from the cull de sac and grew up together in that neighborhood.

I would just guess that from the comments on the video if true, The female suspect assisted in tying up the three victims but did not actually do any of the killings. The three victims were put in the bedroom before they were killed. Did she walk in the bedroom after the killings and witness the dead bodies and the male suspect assaulting the dead body of the dead teenage girl? Why did the female suspect call the teenage victim an ugly little girl?

I searched and didn't find a thread. Reminds me of the Walker case.

From AP:

ALLAHASSEE - For those who lived in Tallahassee then, 1966 is still remembered as the year that changed everything.

That was the year once-open doors were locked, the pastor of one of the city's largest churches became a murder suspect and an entire lake was drained for evidence. Halloween was nearly canceled.

Women filled water guns with ammonia to better fight off an attacker. Children were kept home at night. And police wandered the streets with German shepherds, looking for the killers who hog-tied and savagely murdered a family.

Forty years ago on Oct. 22, while many residents were watching Florida State University and Mississippi State play football, someone attacked Robert Sims, his wife, Helen, and their daughter in their modest brick house on a cul-de-sac.

All three were bound, their mouths stuffed with stockings. The two adults were blindfolded. Robert Sims, 42, a top official with the state Education Department, was shot in the head. Helen Sims, 34, was shot twice in the head and once in the leg. Joy, 12, was stabbed six times, then shot in the head. Her panties were found pulled down, and there was evidence that she was molested.

Their bodies were discovered by Joy's older sister, who with another sibling had been babysitting for families who went to the football game. Robert Sims and Joy Sims died at the scene. Helen Sims lay in a coma for nine days before dying.

"I've seen some terrible things in 45-plus years of law enforcement," said Leon County Sheriff Larry Campbell, who was a 24-year-old deputy on duty that night. "But I can see Joy's eyes as clear today as I sit here talking to you."

More than 40 years later, the savage murders of the Sims family remain officially unsolved despite a massive investigation that has been reopened several times over the years. Campbell has two prime suspects, including one person he says has a fondness for necrophilia. But he says there's not enough evidence for a conviction.

The impact of the crime in this town remains. While many people outside Tallahassee know about the brutal killings at an FSU sorority house by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1978, longtime residents point to the Sims murders as the moment when Tallahassee lost its innocence.

"We just woke up one morning in Tallahassee and we were part of an evil world," said Rocky Bevis, who was 16 at the time and was one of the first at the crime scene because his father ran a funeral home and ambulance service. "It's disturbing to go to sleep knowing someone is still out there."

The killings prompted a frenzy that seized the entire county - which had fewer than 100,000 residents at the time - and reverberated in the corridors of the Capitol, where Gov. Haydon Burns had state government kick in $5,000 in reward money for any evidence.

As word spread the Sunday following the killings, there was a run on hardware stores as Tallahassee residents bought guns, knives and locks, and women signed up for judo classes.

City officials set up a "prowler squad" of officers with dogs to patrol streets at night.

"I was so scared, I didn't let the kids out to play," said Kalliopi Joanos, now 71, who still lives in the house that backs up to the Sims' home.

Fueling the near hysteria was the admission by police that they had "no significant clues, no leads and no motives." There was no forced entry, no signs of robbery or even a struggle. While investigators poured over the crime scene and lifted nearly 1,000 fingerprints, there was nothing that led them to the killers. The murder weapons were never found.

"It would lead you to believe it was pretty well thought out," said Bevis, who helped his father cut the ropes that bound the victims. "It wasn't something spur of the moment where someone said 'Let's go kill three people.' "

Police combed through a thatch of woods behind the Sims house and eventually made the decision to drain a small lake that sat at the bottom of a hill a few hundred yards away. But a search of the muck bottom turned up nothing. A call to other law-enforcement agencies led one Kansas detective to tell Leon County authorities about the eerie similarities to the murder of the Clutter family - the topic of In Cold Blood, the Truman Capote book published a year earlier.

The lack of success fed wild rumors and cast a cloud of suspicion over one man: C.A. Roberts, pastor of the First Baptist Church, one of the city's oldest and most prestigious churches. Helen Sims had worked as a church secretary and her family was deeply involved with the church.

Investigators probed deeply into Roberts' comings and goings and into his interactions with parishioners.

Roberts, however, had an alibi: As team chaplain, he was at the FSU football game - a fact verified by investigators who scanned the game film.

Roberts was killed years later in a traffic accident. The probing into his life prompted him to step down as pastor within months of the murders.

Henry Cabbage, a local writer who is working on a book on the murders, obtained a video showing Campbell and another detective interrogating a woman in 1987. The woman, who now lives in Jacksonville, had a boyfriend who lived near the Sims family. A summary of the interviews says that she remembers going to the Sims' house that night but can't remember any details.

The woman's boyfriend, whom she later married and then divorced, told detectives in 1989 that he had nothing to do with the murders. The man, who now lives in St. Petersburg, theorized that "gangsters" killed the family.

Campbell concedes that barring a confession the murder will remain unsolved.

"I've done everything I think I can do," he said. "The big frustration is that I feel very confident that I know who did it."

From Access My Library:

Oct. 21--TALLAHASSEE -- For those who lived in Tallahassee then, 1966 is still remembered as the year that changed everything. That was the year once-open doors were locked, the pastor of one of the city's largest churches became a murder suspect and an entire lake was drained for evidence. Halloween was nearly canceled. Women filled water guns with ammonia to better fight off an attacker. Children were kept home at night. And police wandered the streets with German shepherds, looking for the killers who hogtied and savagely murdered a family.
Forty years ago today, while many residents were watching Florida State University and Mississippi State play football, someone attacked Robert Sims, his wife Helen and their daughter in their modest brick house on a cul-de-sac. All three were bound, their mouths stuffed with stockings. The two adults were blindfolded. Robert Sims, 42, a top official with the state Department of Education, was shot in the head. Helen Sims, 34, was shot twice in the head and once in the leg. Joy, 12, was stabbed six times, then shot in the head. Her panties were found pulled down, and there was evidence that she was molested.
Their bodies were discovered by Joy's older sister, who with another sibling had been baby-sitting for families who went to the football game. Robert Sims and Joy Sims died at the scene. Helen Sims lay in a coma for nine days before dying. "I've seen some terrible things in 45-plus years of law enforcement," said Leon County Sheriff Larry Campbell, who was a 24-year-old deputy on duty that night. "But I can see Joy's eyes as clear today as I sit here talking to you." Forty years later, the savage murders of the Sims family remain officially unsolved despite a massive investigation that has been reopened several times over the years. Campbell has two prime suspects, including one person he says has a fondness for necrophilia. But he says there's not enough evidence for a conviction. The impact of the crime in this town remains. While many people outside Tallahassee know about the brutal killings at an FSU sorority house by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1978, long-time residents point to the Sims murders as the moment when Tallahassee lost its innocence. "We just woke up one morning in Tallahassee and we were part of an evil world," said Rocky Bevis, who was 16 at the time and was one of the first at the crime scene because his father ran a funeral home and ambulance service. "It's disturbing to go to sleep knowing someone is still out there." The killings prompted a frenzy that seized the entire county -- which had less than 100,000 residents at the time -- and reverberated in the corridors of the Capitol, where Gov. Haydon Burns had state government kick in $5,000 in reward money for any evidence. As word spread the Sunday following the killings, there was a run on hardware stores as Tallahassee residents bought guns, knives and locks, and women signed up for judo classes. City officials set up a "prowler squad" of officers with dogs to patrol streets at night. "I was so scared, I didn't let the kids out to play," said Kalliopi Joanos, now 71, who still lives in the house that backs up to the Sims' home. "The night before, the little girl came to me to sell Christmas cards and the next day she was killed." The fear that spread through the town hung over Tallahassee for weeks, and prompted city and county officials to encourage parents to keep their children home on Halloween night. "This is no night to send young children in masks and costumes into the streets," chimed in an editorial in the pages of the Tallahassee Democrat. So kids went trick-or-treating before the sun went down.

The link is a google street view of the cull-de-sac the sims lived in at the time of the murders.https://www.google.com/maps/@30.467...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s_Ru6_1oVHO85LRJic3mvpA!2e0

49 Years Later, Tallahassee Triple Murder Remains Unsolved

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Unsolved-Triple-Murder-From-Nearly-Half-A-Century-Ago-Still-Haunts-Tallahassee-301475431.html

Today marks the 49th anniversary of one of Tallahassee’s most shocking unsolved murders. On October 22, 1966, Robert and Helen Sims and their daughter Joy were found dead in their Muriel Court home.

The couple’s oldest daughter, Jeanie, came home from babysitting late that night. She found her family bound, gagged, stabbed, and shot.

Rocky Bevis was one of the first people on the scene.

"Back then it was just...it was beyond surprise. It was shock. It was disbelief. Things like that just didn't happen," said Bevis.

The murders sparked fear throughout the community-- women carried water guns filled with ammonia, and the neighborhood nearly cancelled Halloween.

LCSO had several people of interest, including a young couple and pastor, but no one has been charged in the murders. LCSO recently re-submitted evidence to the FDLE. Detectives hope new technology will give them a lead.

The link also includes the story done in April.

So, is that Sheriff Campbell still alive? And I wonder why the 2 surviving kids aren't pursuing justice.

I assume the presumption is there was more than one perpetrator since it's rather difficult for a single individual to tie two people up against their will. It can be done though as with Zodiac at Lake Berryessa. I don't know if this case is mentioned on the Zodiac site but the Bricca Case is.

Snipped. In this article, dated Oct. 26, 2966, Sheriff W. P. Joyce said,

"We've ruled out robbery. I've definitely ruled out actual robbery and sexual assault."

He goes on to say the autopsy showed no signs of sexual molestation. What other motives are there?

Jealousy?
Retribution?
Thrill kill?

STANREID asked if these murders were mentioned on the Zodiac threads. I think of the Zodiac killings as sexual in nature, even though no sexual assaults occurred (it's been 10 years since I've read the book, so I might be completely wrong). Could this be sexually motivated, even though there was no assault?

Joy was stabbed six times. Is it possible this was a sexual assault but piquerism was not recognized as sexual in 1966?

Mr. Sims and my Daddy grew up together in Mississippi. They were childhood friends. I was only 10 years old when this happened. I remember how upset my Daddy was when he heard about this case.
I have often wondered if anyone had been caught.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that a neighbor was suspected or being investigated of molesting one of the Sims children. Or am I making that up? Is there more information on this? Is this the same back-door neighbor whose father is the criminologist and whose girlfriend said they were at the home?

Appears to be another case where there may have been good suspects, but the investigation itself was misguided (for whatever reason). I think that "if" there was corruption by law enforcement to avoid pursuit of VBF due to his father's standing in the community, it's lucky for C.A. Roberts that they didn't try to frame him for the killings. Something that I've had to stay focused on, is that Larry Campbell (who blew the chance for a confession from MCF in 1987) was not the Sheriff when this happened. Therefore his motive (if true) to discourage a confession could have stemmed from having knowledge within the SO of the coverup and he did part to keep it that way. It's all speculation...but somebody still living probably knows the true story.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that a neighbor was suspected or being investigated of molesting one of the Sims children. Or am I making that up? Is there more information on this? Is this the same back-door neighbor whose father is the criminologist and whose girlfriend said they were at the home?

There was no molestation, nor any investigation of molestation. Just another made up story with no basis in fact. I never had any contact with any of the Sims family. They never visited us, and we never visited them. We were not aquainted with each other at all. Nobody even asked the Sims girls or any of my family about such nonsence. Its just repeated false gossip, like so much of the other falsehoods repeated about this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back