FL FL - Robert, 42, Helen, 34, & Joy Sims, 12, Tallahassee, 22 Oct 1966

I have lived in Tallahassee my entire life and my mom told me about this case when I was about 13, she was 10 at the time. Since hearing about this case I have become obsessed with it and have done research whenever and wherever I can.

My grandparents house was one street over from the Sims, and across the street from the Foxs. My grandparents were in that house until about 7-8 years ago, so I also grew up knowing Mr. and Mrs. Fox. I never met their son, and actually wasn't aware they even had a son before of hearing about this case and that he and his girlfriend were named as suspects.

My aunt was friends with Joy. She had actually wanted Joy to spend the night that night, but her parent's said no because they needed to go to church the next day because they missed church the week before. My grandfather was part of Tallahassee Police Department and was home that night. She remembers that when they saw all the commotion going on (cops and sirens), he walked over to the Sims' house. He then came back and told my grandmother to get all the girls together and make sure all the doors were locked, and then went back to the Sims' house.

She remembers a few days later that my grandmother went over to the Sims' house to take down the laundry that was on the line. You could see the Sims' backyard from my grandparent's front porch. My grandmother had said it broke her heart to see their clothes out there and got my grandfather to get her permission to take them down.

My mom says she didn't know the suspects very well (since she was 10 and they were in their early 20's) but she does remember them. She remembers that the female was very odd and there were lots of rumors going around about her being obsessed with death. And the only thing she can remember about the male suspect was that he had offered rides to my mom and my aunts on his motorcycle. She thinks she remembers that the female suspect also lived somewhere in the neighborhood.

I would love to see this case solved and hopefully soon, so the remaining Sims girls can get justice.

636051499296652057-TLHBrd-03-11-2015-Democrat-1-A005--2015-03-10-IMG-6410-Muriel-Court.JP-1-1-QCA66F01-L577193545-IMG-6410-Muriel-Court.JP-1-1-QCA66F01.jpg

The Sims family lived in this home at 641 Muriel Drive, when they were murdered by unknown assailants on 22 October 1966.

LINK:

Suspect in Sims murders posts musings on internet

Has anyone officially looked into there being a connection between the Sims case and the Bricca case?

That is a very good question. I don't know the answer, but can say that back in 1966 Law Enforcement efforts were on a much more local level. Even when the State Police took over a murder investigation, they didn't always look much beyond an adjacent state. When similarities and information pointed to another jurisdiction, the investigators might go there, but often politics and funding would preclude it.

A perfect example of this would be when Pensacola, Florida police arrested Ted Bundy for erratic driving and assaulting a police officer, it was later that they connected him to murders of several young girls in Florida. And even then, they hadn't heard of his suspected murders in the western states.

When comparing the Sims murders with the Bricca murders, one is struck with numerous similarities. Both attacks were conducted during the fourth weekend of the month: The Bricca murders in September, and the Sims murders in October. These attacks occurred between the first quarter and the full moon in each case. Both involved a home invasion and the killing of all inhabitants - Father, Mother, and Daughter. The use of a knife was noted in both crimes.

IF these two murder attacks were done by the same person, then it is likely that other attacks also occurred in months/years prior and following. One should look at attacks which occurred on the fourth weekends of July, August, November, and December of 1966. The fourth weekend of November followed Thanksgiving day. The fourth weekend of December was the 24th and 25th - Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Attacks made with a knife on young girls and/or families should also be considered - and not necessarily in the home. It would appear that a pistol was used on Mr. and Mrs. Sims in order to kill them quickly, while Joy was stabbed numerous times.

Here is a possible example - although geographically distant:

ID - ID - Vonnie Taysom, 13, Shelley, 30 December 1966

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member