Identified! GA - Millen, AsianFem 113UFGA, 16-22, in suitcase in dumpster, Feb'88 - Chong Un Kim

Can they exhume her body to get a DNA sample?

I watched an episode of The New Detectives on Netfilx recently and came across the story of Bun Che Nuyhuis, who was murdered in the early 1980s. Her skeletal remains were found in the late '80s and were stated to have been thought to be a missing woman from Georgia until the subject was ruled out by superimposition. Bun Che was later identified, but I have no idea who the other missing woman was, but I was able to get a screenshot from the show and I noticed she bore a likeness to the Millen Jane Doe. The missing woman had disappeared around the time the Jane Doe was found, but I have no idea exactly when or what her name was, or if she has since been found. I've attached the screenshot of the woman below:

IMG_2479.PNG

The Gwinnett case is certainly similar. Every time I check either case, I have to look to make sure I've got the right one. There still doesn't seem to be a lot known about the more recent one. It's sadly common for remains to be disposed of beside highways and in suitcases :crying::crying:

The Gwinnett case is certainly similar. Every time I check either case, I have to look to make sure I've got the right one. There still doesn't seem to be a lot known about the more recent one. It's sadly common for remains to be disposed of beside highways and in suitcases :crying::crying:
When I use remains found in suitcase as search criteria on here there are only 3 cases that come up for women. All 3 are in Georgia. Idk this is pretty strange to me but I am very new at all of this. I looked on the Georgia map and these counties are very close. Especially Gwinnett and butts. Just wish I could help identify the remains.

Thank you so much for your insight. Like I said I am very new and any opinions really do help my understanding. I just have a feeling about these 3 though.

I watched an episode of The New Detectives on Netfilx recently and came across the story of Bun Che Nuyhuis, who was murdered in the early 1980s. Her skeletal remains were found in the late '80s and were stated to have been thought to be a missing woman from Georgia until the subject was ruled out by superimposition. Bun Che was later identified, but I have no idea who the other missing woman was, but I was able to get a screenshot from the show and I noticed she bore a likeness to the Millen Jane Doe. The missing woman had disappeared around the time the Jane Doe was found, but I have no idea exactly when or what her name was, or if she has since been found. I've attached the screenshot of the woman below:

View attachment 78122
Did you ever find out who the missing woman was?

Did you ever find out who the missing woman was?
Unfortunately, I have no idea who she was. Nothing is listed on the DN or NamUs, so it's possible she was recovered. In a Forensic Files episode about the Nuyhuis case, the woman's eyes were blocked out, also implying this.

Last edited:
The bedding makes me think that she died in her own house, similar to what carbuff has said. If that's the case, I think it's unlikely that she's been reported missing.

The Fall Line podcast just released a strong summary of the case, along with some interesting theories as to what happened to her. They theorize that she may have been an undocumented worker who was trafficked, perhaps to solicit sexual favors in an underground "massage parlor". The area apparently gets its fair share of traffic from long-distance truckers, a demographic targeted by those businesses.

I live in north Florida close to the Florida-Georgia border on the east side. In a lot of ways, north Florida and Georgia are extensions of one another. Most of our towns are very small and rural, and other than in larger cities like Jacksonville and Gainesville, we don't have many Asians down here. The vast majority of the cities near where I live are composed of almost all blacks and whites with a few Hispanics here and there, with significantly higher than average black populations.

I can't say I've ever been to Millen, since it's in northeast Georgia and that's a bit far away from me, but it is majority black with a trivially small Asian population (0.2%). If she was from there and was Asian, she would have stood out. Even if she were actually Hispanic or Latina, there aren't many Hispanics there, either (2.86% of the population).

A new episode of the aforementioned podcast should be coming out soon, seeing as the last one aired last week. I'm hoping for more details. Apparently, someone confessed to the murder, and information about this development should be discussed in the upcoming episode.

This is the new information we got from the second part of the podcast. I watched it a few hours ago, so it's not that fresh in my mind, but I think I got the basic details right. I only used the initials of the prime suspect who reportedly confessed to the crime, but if you listen to the podcast, their full name is said several times.
  • The prime suspect in the case was JY, who was 23 when JCJD died.
  • Around February 10, 1988, JY was in the company of two other males who may have been connected to the drug trade and a young Puerto Rican female. JY was reportedly romantically involved with the lady, and according to JY's uncle, JY ran off with her after stealing one of the males' money. It's believed that this woman might have been JCJD, despite the fact that JCJD is listed as Asian.
  • JY admitted to knowing about JCJD's body in the dumpster, but denied ever knowing her personally and volunteered to take a polygraph (it's unknown what became of this).
  • An investigator into the case claimed that someone who sounded extremely similar to JY called in a confession in 1991. This person claimed to have had spoken with Jenkins County law enforcement in the past and had some knowledge of JCJD's case.
  • JY was located in New Jersey and denied ever making the phone call. Instead, he continued to deny knowing JCJD personally and implicated his uncle and another man, claiming that they showed him JCJD's body in the dumpster.
  • Nobody remembers seeing a woman matching the description of the woman who was supposedly with JY or matching JCJD's description in the local area.
  • JY died in 2004.
  • JY's friend provided an alibi for the night that the murder supposedly take place, and he has since died, as well.

This is the new information we got from the second part of the podcast. I watched it a few hours ago, so it's not that fresh in my mind, but I think I got the basic details right. I only used the initials of the prime suspect who reportedly confessed to the crime, but if you listen to the podcast, their full name is said several times.
  • The prime suspect in the case was JY, who was 23 when JCJD died.
  • Around February 10, 1988, JY was in the company of two other males who may have been connected to the drug trade and a young Puerto Rican female. JY was reportedly romantically involved with the lady, and according to JY's uncle, JY ran off with her after stealing one of the males' money. It's believed that this woman might have been JCJD, despite the fact that JCJD is listed as Asian.
  • JY admitted to knowing about JCJD's body in the dumpster, but denied ever knowing her personally and volunteered to take a polygraph (it's unknown what became of this).
  • An investigator into the case claimed that someone who sounded extremely similar to JY called in a confession in 1991. This person claimed to have had spoken with Jenkins County law enforcement in the past and had some knowledge of JCJD's case.
  • JY was located in New Jersey and denied ever making the phone call. Instead, he continued to deny knowing JCJD personally and implicated his uncle and another man, claiming that they showed him JCJD's body in the dumpster.
  • Nobody remembers seeing a woman matching the description of the woman who was supposedly with JY or matching JCJD's description in the local area.
  • JY died in 2004.
  • JY's friend provided an alibi for the night that the murder supposedly take place, and he has since died, as well.

The podcast also indicates that the remains were not seen by a forensic anthropologist, and she has since been cremated. As far as I can tell, the only racial determination was made simply on a visual evaluation by the medical examiner. The soft tissue was not in great condition, but her hair was long/thick/straight/black or dark brown. The podcast also makes a case that she could be Native American. Basically, I would assume she could be of almost any ethnic background but was probably not someone with naturally curly or light/red hair, or someone who had short hair within a couple of years of 1988.

The podcast goes into great detail about the bedding that was found with her and indicates that it's something a young girl might have in her personal bedroom, (sateen floral whirls, twin size, with matching decorative pillow), not something typically found in motel room, trucker cab, massage parlor, male suspect's home, etc. They're hoping to be able to release photos of said bedding as it's fairly distinctive. It's hard for me to reconstruct a scenario where a young girl would have been killed in her home but not reported missing, though. Perhaps the suspect had a child, sister, etc. from whom the bedding was taken.

It was also on the Murder Squad Podcast and had the host of the Fall Line as a guest to help explain the case. Here is the link to their page where they posted details about it in the episode...Jenkins County Jane Doe - The Murder Squad

In the podcast, it said that the remains were cremated, and they are no longer in possession of the cremains. But the GBI are working to get the bedding located (there are offsite storage units of stuff I guess) and they are going to try to use those bodily fluids/whatever to do at least a secondary DNA profile. Like they won't be able to get enough DNA to be able to find second cousins and family necessarily, but it is definitely likely they will be able to at least get her true ethnicity. It is in the works as of now, the episode just dropped yesterday.

They are looking at a few different potential serial killers that were in the area. I will have to relisten to it to get all the deets. I BELIEVE one of the suspects was Sam Little. Just wanted to update y'all who are working on this case. Her true ethnicity is in the works of being revealed!!

The host of the Fall Line who was interviewed on the Murder Squad podcast has actually viewed the bedding and has obtained come pics of it. I believe she said it had been established that the bedding was manufactured in Korea.

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 11.34.59 AM.png

The victim had recently also had a tooth extraction so she had money for dental care.

I'm imagining a young woman who had moved to the US bringing some belongings with her (including the bedding) - perhaps a 'mail order bride' (sorry horrible term but easiest way to explain it, or a daughter of immigrants, or a trafficked sex worker.

This case has been bugging me so much that I finally decided to create an account here so I could post about it.

The episode of The Murder Squad (linked above) specifically asked for the following:
  • help identifying the bedding (pictured above). It was manufactured in Korea but there's no info yet on whether it was sold in the US or overseas. The pillow sham held a pillow bought at Wal-Mart, but that doesn't mean the sham or bedding necessarily also came from Wal-Mart.
  • pictures of Millen, GA and the surrounding areas (between Augusta and Savannah) in the 80s and 90s. They are especially interested in pictures that might show billboards for "massage parlors" or the storefronts themselves.
Here are a couple of details I want to emphasize and comment on from the two podcasts on the case:
  • Georgia Bureau of Investigations welcomes help on the case.
  • The duffel suitcase containing JCJD's body was found on Sunday, February 14, 1988. The dumpster where she was found had been emptied on Friday, February 12, but JCJD died 4-7 days before being found. So it seems she was killed at least 2 days before being put in the dumpster.
  • The dumpster was one of two located at Old Perkins and Kaiser Rd. Kaiser is now called "Millen Bypass." Based on this, I have tried to mark on a map where the dumpsters may have been: Google Maps
  • This area has become much more built up since 1988, but I cross-checked the location with Google Earth images from 1988 and 1993, and I believe this is the correct intersection. Kaiser Rd wasn't GA21 in 1988; the road was much smaller and less built up.
  • LE stated that the dumpsters were something only locals would know about, because they weren't "right on the highway." However, looking at the overhead map, the intersection isn't that far from the highway. I think it's feasible that someone traveling up or down US25 could have turned off the highway, onto Kaiser Rd, and found the dumpsters without necessarily knowing they were there.
  • Millen is fairly close to the South Carolina line. It is also about equidistant between Augusta and Savannah.

Do you know this young lady - or teen?
latest

Here's a Reddit Post I found which explains the case better than I could:

It was Valentine's Day, 1988 in the small town of Millen, Georgia. In the days prior, there had been complaints about the foul scent coming from a certain dumpster. A local man was collecting cans for money while his girlfriend waited in the car; he dove into this dumpster to see what he could find when he discovered the source of the scent: a duffel bag.

Upon opening the bag with a pocket knife, the man made a gruesome discovery: something that looked like flesh, wrapped in plastic and duct tape and at this point badly decomposed, had been stuffed inside. He initially did not know what to do; his first reaction was to get a friend to come to look at the contents to confirm that this was, in fact, what he thought it was: the body of a woman. At this point, they called the police, who arrived at the scene around 4:45 pm, along with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (abbreviated as the GBI).

Due to the Millen police's own coroner having less experience, the autopsy was conducted in Atlanta by a GBI coroner. It was determined that the victim has been in the dumpster since Friday the 12th (Valentine's Day fell on a Sunday in 1988), but that she had been dead for 4 to 7 days. Jane Doe showed no obvious signs of injury, though her feet had been bound. She tested as negative for any drugs or seminal fluids which could have been left by sexual assault. The victim's cause of death could not be determined positively, but it may have been asphyxiation; in any case, she is believed to have been murdered. Due to the state of her remains, the post-mortems have not been released, but there are two available reconstructions of Jane Doe: one sketch made by GBI forensic artist Marla Lawson in 1988, and a composite image made later. The 1988 sketch is said to not have captured her features as well as LE would have liked, due to the state of her remains by the time that she was discovered.

Jane Doe was estimated to be between 16 and 25 years of age when she was killed. She was approximately 5'4 to 5'5 and weighed around 135-145 lbs; her build was described as slim. She had long, thick, coarse, and straight hair which was dark brown or black. There seems to be some dispute as to her eye color: in some places, it's listed as brown, in others as unknown. Her teeth were in good condition; her upper teeth were crooked and she'd had a lower wisdom tooth extracted not long before her death, though it had healed. Jane Doe's legs were freshly shaven.

Jane Doe's exact race and ethnicity have been a matter of some confusion. It's usually believed Jane Doe was of Asian (specifically East Asian) descent, possibly with some Caucasian ancestry; however, it is also possible that she was in fact Latina (supported by local rumours) or Native American. Marla Lawson, the GBI forensic artist who drew a reconstruction of Jane Doe based on post-mortems, believed she was Asian and White; unfortunately, no forensic anthropologists viewed Jane Doe's body (calling forensic anthropologists was only the common practice in cases of remains that were completely skeletonized) so it is impossible to know for sure. Asian women have been historically underrepresented in reports of missing people; there are very few missing people from the area at the time who match Jane Doe's demographics.

Some bedding (a pillow, bedspread, and bedsheets) and a towel were found along with the victim's body inside the bag. The pillow and bedspread had a matching rose design and are thought to be from the same set; the bedsheets were unembroidered. The towel was printed with butterflies. The bedding was determined to have been made in Korea; photos of the pillow and bedspread can be found in the links below. LE officials believe it is possible that these items may have been the unidentified woman's own possessions.

For context, Millen is an extremely rural town. Its population in 1990 was only 3808. The town has a majority African-American population. Asian-Americans (of any region of Asia: East, South, Southeast, etc.), on the other hand, are a tiny minority in Millen- according to the 2000 census, they were only .17% of the population, and exclusively of Chinese descent. The Native American population is even smaller, at 0.06%; the Latino population of Millen, regardless of race, is 2.86%, though migrant workers, often undocumented, travel through the area seasonally. Due to the demographics of the area, it is suspected that Jane Doe may not have been from the immediate area. To be specific, the dumpster which Jane Doe was found in is located off Kaiser Road (now called the Bypass) and Old Perkins Road, though both this dumpster and another next to it have since been removed in order to increase the road; the original dumpster was taken as evidence at the time of Jane Doe's discovery.

While Millen itself does not have a high Asian population, Georgia's highways were, at the time, filled with so-called "massage parlors" or "spas" which were often little more than fronts for human trafficking. Many of these illicit businesses would traffick vulnerable immigrant women, often undocumented women who would be unable to report abusive conditions for fear of deportation. In Georgia at the time, while these women came from a variety of nationalities, many were Asian and a particularly high number were originally from China. It has been suggested that Jane Doe was a victim of human trafficking and could have worked in these parlors.

It was noted that at the time that the man initially discovered Jane Doe's body, there was a small brown car nearby, but when he returned with his friends the car was gone. There were additional reports of a small brown car being seen around Millen at this time. While police were interviewing residents, two children reported that on February 12, they had been playing near the dumpster when they heard somebody crying out something which sounded like "My baby! My baby!", and then a car similar to the one described pulled up; a man and woman, both described as white and approximately in their 50's, got out of the vehicle and threw something away.

Additionally, when police searched the dumpster for other evidence, they found a gas can, still half full. It is also unknown if the gasoline was related to the crime, but it has been suggested that Jane Doe's murderer or the person disposing of her body had planned to set her on fire.

At the time of Jane Doe's discovery, many leads came in from members of the public, but all turned out to be dead ends. It was suggested that Jane Doe may have been a member of a group of migrant workers traveling through Georgia in 1988, but when these migrant workers were tracked down, it became evident that none of them were accounted for. Jane Doe was also ruled out as a missing Indigenous woman named Julie McDowell (sp?) as well as a Puerto Rican woman identified only as "Maria G." (note: unfortunately, I can't find any other reference to either case.)

The most significant lead involved a 23-year-old man named Johnny Young (originally from Millen, though residing in New Jersey at the time.) Young was investigated after a friend of his called the police telling them to "talk to Johnny." Young's uncle claimed he'd been seen with a Puerto Rican woman who may have matched Jane Doe's description. According to Young's uncle, Young was friends with two dope smugglers, and according to another woman living in the same trailer park, one of these smugglers was involved with this "Puerto Rican girl", and Johnny had run away with both the smuggler's money and the girl. But this turned out to be a dead-end as well; Young did admit he knew one of the smugglers but not the other, but as for the "Puerto Rican girl" he claimed he had no such acquaintance; the GBI was unable to find substantial evidence that Young had either been seen with such a woman or that she even existed. Young's relationship with his uncle was apparently strained, which may have influenced his uncle's statements.

In the summer of 1991, Deputy Campbell of the Jenkins County Sheriff's Office received a phone call from somebody in New Jersey implying that he had killed Jane Doe, referring to Campbell by name as he asked if he "remembered that girl" and saying he was "tired of running." This person said that he had tried to turn himself in, in New Jersey, but that the police had not believed him; he then asked Campbell to come and pick him up, and then hung up the phone; Campbell was unable to reach this person again. Deputy Campbell believed that the caller was Johnny Young, but when the police tracked Young down he denied calling them and gave the same story as when he was originally interrogated. However, he now added that his uncle and another man had shown him the dumpster at some point before Jane Doe had been found. The GBI re-interviewed Young's friends and uncle, but this was also a dead end as no new evidence was found. Since then, there has been no significant development in the case. Johnny Young died in 2006.

Jane Doe's body was cremated by Crowe-Fields Funeral Home in Millen (it is not clear why this decision was made at the time); unfortunately, her DNA was not taken prior to this, though the GBI is currently attempting to find usable DNA samples in the bedding which was found with her. Her dentals and fingerprints, however, could be used to identify her. Besides the women listed above, Jane Doe has also been ruled out as Yvonne Mestas, Hiromi Kazuni, and Kristina "Krissi" Porco. Note that Asian women are comparatively underrepresented in missing people; it is very possible that the Jenkins County Jane Doe was never reported missing, especially if she was an immigrant. Unfortunately, the case of Jenkins County Jane Doe has fallen into obscurity since the time that she was found.

So who was Jane Doe? Could she have been a victim of human trafficking? Was Johnny Young linked to her murder, or was he innocent? Somebody must be missing this young woman, and nobody deserves to be left nameless in a dumpster.

I know this isn’t Pinkie but I’m using her as an example. I don’t immediately think Asian when I see the two recons of this UID. I actually see African American. Obviously mixed with something else which is why I was reminded of Pinkie. She is biracial; African American and Hispanic. Her facial features look a lot like this UID...IMO.
charleyproject.org/case/pinkie-mae-davis-herron

I know this isn’t Pinkie but I’m using her as an example. I don’t immediately think Asian when I see the two recons of this UID. I actually see African American. Obviously mixed with something else which is why I was reminded of Pinkie. She is biracial; African American and Hispanic. Her facial features look a lot like this UID...IMO.
charleyproject.org/case/pinkie-mae-davis-herron

She reminds me of a woman I used to work with, who had a mostly Vietnamese mother and a mostly AA father.

edited to correct a brain fart

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500