Identified! GA - Millen, AsianFem 113UFGA, 16-22, in suitcase in dumpster, Feb'88 - Chong Un Kim

chong un kim jenkins county jane doe wjbf cold case

In 2023, the GBI began working with Othram, a company that uses advanced DNA testing to solve cases. Othram, Inc., based in The Woodlands, Texas, is a leader in using Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing to develop comprehensive genealogical profiles. The GBI sent forensic evidence to Othram, Inc. Based on the DNA, a genealogical search produced investigative leads that led to Kim’s identification. The GBI notified Kim’s family in October 2023 about the identification.

“Project Justice” funded the DNA testing.

I checked Family Search to see if their were any public records of her residing in Jenkinsville. but I couldn't figure out Korean names.
(Often people will appear in public records even after they have disappeared or deceased etc)

There was a someone with a similar name where she had been residing c 1990. (Middle name was slightly different, but sometimes it's that way with American names)

Went down a rabbit hole and found someone with the same name in California. It was a male.

So, I gave up. I really don't know how Korean names work.

Just because I couldn't find her, doesn't mean she wasn't there. Many times that info is obtained from homeowner records, voter registration etc, so I wasn't too hopeful.

That ID is trailblazing in so many ways.
IDing an immigrant from a population grossly underrepresented in DNA databases is absolutely huge!
And also making an ID without a body, just from minute traces of DNA left on the blanket she was wrapped in.

Well done, Othram. I hope this is just the beginning.

That ID is trailblazing in so many ways.
IDing an immigrant from a population grossly underrepresented in DNA databases is absolutely huge!
And also making an ID without a body, just from minute traces of DNA left on the blanket she was wrapped in.

Well done, Othram. I hope this is just the beginning.
Friday we identified a homicide victim who was a first-generation immigrant from Portugal:

It is definitely just the beginning and as the technology develops further (and gets more broadly adopted), more and more families will get answers.

I checked Family Search to see if their were any public records of her residing in Jenkinsville. but I couldn't figure out Korean names.
(Often people will appear in public records even after they have disappeared or deceased etc)

There was a someone with a similar name where she had been residing c 1990. (Middle name was slightly different, but sometimes it's that way with American names)

Went down a rabbit hole and found someone with the same name in California. It was a male.

So, I gave up. I really don't know how Korean names work.

Just because I couldn't find her, doesn't mean she wasn't there. Many times that info is obtained from homeowner records, voter registration etc, so I wasn't too hopeful.
I searched on Ancestry, with a particular interest in immigration records. There are people with the same name, the right age, but nothing conclusively linked to Georgia, so, hard to say it's her.

People don’t just randomly end up in Hinesville, you would purposely locate there for employment or family. This may have already been mentioned but Hinesville is a rural farming area and home to Ft Stewart. Millen is North of Hinesville and also rural farming area. Midpoint between the two is Statesboro, which during late 80’s was in the early growth stages as Georgia Southern had launched its football program in early 80’s, so it was still a rural farming area.

Maybe insignificant but direct route between Hinesville and Millen takes you onto Ft Stewart that has a check point in allowing one to travel through Ft Stewart without having to drive further around the military base- it’s basically a short cut- you must show ID and vehicle is subject to search.

I’m curious if she might have had connection to Ft Stewart.

Edit: I personally think Hinesville too far of a commute to either Savannah or Brunswick.

Last edited:
People don’t just randomly end up in Hinesville, you would purposely locate there for employment or family. This may have already been mentioned but Hinesville is a rural farming area and home to Ft Stewart. Millen is North of Hinesville and also rural farming area. Midpoint between the two is Statesboro, which during late 80’s was in the early growth stages as Georgia Southern had launched its football program in early 80’s, so it was still a rural farming area.

Maybe insignificant but direct route between Hinesville and Millen takes you onto Ft Stewart that has a check point in allowing one to travel through Ft Stewart without having to drive further around the military base- it’s basically a short cut- you must show ID and vehicle is subject to search.

I’m curious if she might have had connection to Ft Stewart.
Did you need to show an ID back then?

Our bases were pretty much open until 911

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starrynight8974