Identified! GA - Millen, AsianFem 113UFGA, 16-22, in suitcase in dumpster, Feb'88 - Chong Un Kim

Did you need to show an ID back then?

Our bases were pretty much open until 911

From what I remember Ft Stewart always required ID. Not realizing I would be essentially still stuck on the farm, I initially attended Georgia Southern but transferred to a college in Virginia but areas around Statesboro were dry counties so had to venture out for anything other than beer and wine so learned a lot about that area- I was a young sorority girl back then.

A friend lived on Ft. Stewart/in Hinesvile for years. Big big base, BIG GUNS, LOUD BOOMS!

imho there is a link between this decedent and a service member.

jmho ymmv lrr

I recall a SK was suspected in the Augusta area, mysterious disappearance of young woman in the 80’s but don’t believe they would travel to Hinesville in search of a victim but who truly knows the mind and irrational behaviors of a SK.

Edit: Victims in the Augusta area were located in isolated or wooded areas.

That ID is trailblazing in so many ways.
IDing an immigrant from a population grossly underrepresented in DNA databases is absolutely huge!
And also making an ID without a body, just from minute traces of DNA left on the blanket she was wrapped in.

Well done, Othram. I hope this is just the beginning.
I agree. This is quite surprising, to nail down the identity of an immigrant who hadn't been present in the U.S. for more than a few years. Well done, indeed. :)

In 2023, cold case group Project Justice helped fund DNA testing for the bureau. Kim’s body was cremated, so Othram used DNA sampled from the blanket she was wrapped in to create a geneological profile, which created leads that identified Kim.

“The DNA was actually in very small amounts, but we were able to extract DNA and build a profile through forensic-grade genome sequencing that led to her identity,” Mittelman said. “It was geneology in this case, so she did have relatives in the database.”

“That’s why it’s so important to identify these victims, we want to give them their name back and give their family the peace of mind of where their loved one is,” Mittelman said. “and when we’re able to identify them, (law enforcement can) give context and help identify a perpetrator that is living in plain sight and thinks they got away with it.”

Opened in The Woodlands in 2019, Othram has solved 112 cases in the last 10 months, Mittelman said, including another Georgia cold case Oct. 25.

“I really think this technology will end up making the world a safer and better place for all of us,” Mittelman said. “I think it’s going to allow for perpetrators to get caught the first time they commit a crime rather than the second, third, fourth or tenth. And I think it’s going to allow cold cases to go extinct one day.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back