GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be for any reason, really - the article did not specify. However, the parent in those cases DID make a conscious choice to leave their child in a car on a hot day (which every sensible person knows is extremely dangerous), lock the doors, walk away and stay away for long enough for their child to perish from the heat. Seems irresponsible at best, intentionally harmful at worst.

It could also mean that when walking away they hit the lock button, Not realizing the children are still there.
IT does not have to be something deliberate.

I think it has way more leeway here. If he goes to trial, Then they have to present something as a defense. That means as Jurors we would get to choose if we believe the defense or not. At this point for me, It would be not guilty.

You don't choose who you believe. You choose a verdict based on what the evidence causes you to believe.

This is not a hard one for me. If he saw his child was not breathing, To assume he was choking is not far from what a parent might think.

Children choke silently. It was not like he was claiming the child was screaming, He saw the child was blue and thought he is choking.

This makes sense to me.

It makes no sense to me. His child had been sitting in a hot car for 7 hours, which reeked of decomp/vomit/feces/goodness knows, and he thinks the child is alive enough to CHOKE? How is that in any way possible?

You don't choose who you believe. You choose a verdict based on what the evidence causes you to believe.

Um, yes you do. That is what a defense is. You hear their side of the story and see if it works and is believable. If it is you can vote not guilty.

In my opinion, it's not sheep who do this. It's people who think rationally and refuse - when they've HEARD evidence that is somehow not going to be allowed although witnesses are instructed to "tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth". Sometimes a piece of the truth they tell isn't allowed to be considered by a juror. Although it's relevant.

I can't be the only person who knows that jurors hold things inside their heads that they don't discuss - but that influence their internal deliberations and verdict. OTHERWISE, honestly, this case would be over and done with. He's admitted to the minimum qualifications for the charges they've charged him with. Done and done. But no. There are jurors to come.

No, your not the only person, and I've served on 4 juries. They hear and see much more than what is presented. I will never ever slam a jury for their verdict.

I'm thinking locked in, as in, the car is my babysitter. Jmo

My IL's thought like that. If my infants (at the time) were asleep in my van, they'd say "Oh, just leave them in there to sleep. Don't disturb them." :scared::banghead: Heck to the NO!! Not ever!

Some people really have no clue about dangers. SMH!

Needless to say, they never had the opportunity to babysit my kids or have them sleep over. Ever.

The problem is, there are far too many sheep.
Not enough assertive people that understand the job.

Too bad that's not taught in civics classes in every high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a sheep would be someone who doesn't think for themselves and just follows the crowd.

One fact sticks out to me that a parent who accidentally left their child in a vehicle wouldn't do...claim like the father did that his child (in a state of rigor mortis) was choking moments earlier. I can't fathom a parent who was accidentally forgotten their child in a hot vehicle making such a statement to cover up the facts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-animal-die-hot-car-toddler-son-died-way.html

"When he pulled in and people started asking him what had happened, he said that the baby had just started choking.

'But the baby didn't look like it had been choking, it looked like it had been sweating, like it had been in a swimming pool, his hair was all wet."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1406/25/ijvm.01.html (apologies, couldn't find a better MSM link but I know it's been discussed here)

"In a few -- in a matter of a few minutes of arriving at work, you`re telling me that this man completely forgot this child was in the backseat?

And witness testimony stating upon arrival and finding that child, he was saying it was choking. Well, guess what? Somebody also said rigor mortis

had set in. The child would not have been choking if it had been deceased for a matter of hours."

It's right up there with wrapping duct tape on your baby's face and dumping her in a trash bag, in the woods after leaving her in the car truck....after an "accidental" drowning.

This is not a hard one for me. If he saw his child was not breathing, To assume he was choking is not far from what a parent might think.

Children choke silently. It was not like he was claiming the child was screaming, He saw the child was blue and thought he is choking.

This makes sense to me.

But he knew that he had been in the hot car all day - did he think he had just been sleeping and sudden woke up and started choking? He got into the hot just minutes before this happened -

Um, yes you do. That is what a defense is. You hear their side of the story and see if it works and is believable. If it is you can vote not guilty.

You can't just believe the defense. You have to look at the evidence and decided if the defense's argument is valid. If you believe the defense AND the evidence supports their arguments, then you believe they are right. You can't just willy nilly decide they are right, without deliberating over the evidence. The evidence has to support the verdict.

I was on a jury where a woman believed the prosecution and would not deliberate the evidence. She was replaced, because she was not fulfilling her duty.

Pleading not guilty is not not taking responsibility it is exercising your rights to a trial.

Everyone deserves a defense.

Yes, he has the right.

He also has the right to plead guilty.
And he is. He said so himself at the scene
IMO

I fully believe most people do this accidentally, either because they don't understand the dangers of heat or they legitimately forgot the child was in the car. Obviously, the police believe this is more to this case. The headlines are confusing me - first the have the police denying the searches as crazy rumors, then the warrant surfaces, then the mom did the searches? There are definitely people out there who would stage a murder this way, but I need more information. What do we actually know at this point? Was warrant info just prematurely leaked? Or were the police referring to something else as rumors?

My guess is deliberately locked in, not to kill them but to keep them safe from strangers.

I remember as a child being left in the car on NUMEROUS occasions with the window cracked, doors locked, and instructions not to talk to strangers...and being very crabby (and sometimes nauseous). And this was an "overprotective" mother who did this -- there were A LOT of things I was not allowed to do.

I compare it to carseats and other things -- until it became an issue, a lot of people were simply unaware. My mom had a Mustang with a sunroof and I clearly remember riding on the console with my fingers waving out the sunroof while we listened to "Shake Your Booty" -- "child safety seat" was her arm reaching out to slam me back against the seat if she had to stop fast.

I actually worked with a guy who truly (I believe) accidentally left his child in the car and the child died -- but this was totally out of routine for the dad. He never had to take the baby to daycare except this one day was different; nothing seemed different about his drive that day that he could recall and he was on autopilot; babysitter never called to check in -- I remember the controversy in our workplace.

And now? I jump through hoops so I won't have to make my kids sit in the car while I fill it up with gas on a hot day.

To me, THIS case stinks to high heaven.

This makes sense to me.

Thanks for your perspective, Scarlett. It's good to hear another persons POV about what he could have been thinking.

I guess we will have to wait and see what further facts/evidence are found.

My IL's thought like that. If my infants (at the time) were asleep in my van, they'd say "Oh, just leave them in there to sleep. Don't disturb them." :scared::banghead: Heck to the NO!! Not ever!

Some people really have no clue about dangers. SMH!

Needless to say, they never had the opportunity to babysit my kids or have them sleep over. Ever.

As a mother, my thoughts always go straight to the worst possible scenarios when it comes to my child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member