*GUILTY* EL Chapo - Drug Cartel Chief, arrested Trafficking/conspiracy/firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the sides are fighting on the question of if it’s possible to even get Guzman in the same room as his lawyers — without a sheet of Plexiglass dividing them.

There’s no way to safely do it, prosecutors have argued in court papers.

(...)

According to the feds, the attorney visiting room has exposed wires and pipes — each presenting Guzman with different ways to unleash mayhem.

For example, he could set off the fire sprinklers, flood the room and use the wires to shock himself or others, they argued.

He could also blockade doors with furniture to make hostage situations and smash CDs of evidence to make a shiv.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...rules-el-chapo-court-papers-article-1.3253766

EL CHAPO'S GODSON PLEADS GUILTY TO PLANS FOR SELLING THOUSANDS OF POUNDS OF DRUGS IN U.S.

On Wednesday, Dámaso López-Serrano admitted to planning to import and distribute tonage quantities of controlled substances into the U.S. and possessing firearms to promote the cartel’s trafficking activities. López-Serrano now faces at least 10 years behind bars and has agreed to forfeit $1 million in cash.

http://www.newsweek.com/el-chapo-godson-pleads-guilty-thousands-pounds-drugs-778133

‘El Chapo’ promises not to kill any jurors from upcoming federal trial

A lawyer for “El Chapo,” whose real name is Joaquin Guzman, filed a motion asking the jurors not be kept anonymous or under armed guard. Guzman is suspected of trying to have witnesses killed in the past.

The judge has yet to rule on the motion.

http://wgntv.com/2018/01/25/el-chapo-promises-not-to-kill-any-jurors/

I would NOT want to be on that jury.

Me either. I would refuse to participate somehow.

I know we are supposed to do our civic duty but he is the one person in the world I would truly be afraid that one of his minions would try to hurt or kill jurors to intimidate the rest of the jury.

His minions may take it upon themselves to try to harm the jury members even without Chapo asking anyone to do that.

And I do not trust that the jury names would be held confidential. Too many leaks occur these days.

I pray for the jury members and their families and good for them if they have the courage to participate.

Maybe a judge should try the case if threats to jury members begin to occur.

Me either. I would refuse to participate somehow.

I know we are supposed to do our civic duty but he is the one person in the world I would truly be afraid that one of his minions would try to hurt or kill jurors to intimidate the rest of the jury.

His minions may take it upon themselves to try to harm the jury members even without Chapo asking anyone to do that.

And I do not trust that the jury names would be held confidential. Too many leaks occur these days.

I pray for the jury members and their families and good for them if they have the courage to participate.

Maybe a judge should try the case if threats to jury members begin to occur.

I'd like to know how they plan to keep them anonymous. In this day and age I think its nearly impossible. Certainly the defense attorneys will have the juror's identities. I can't imagine many prospective jurors would want to be on this jury, but they can't just tell the judge they don't want to. It could be tried to the judge (a "bench trial") but the defendant has to waive his right to a jury trial to make that happen, and that's not gonna happen here.

I'd like to know how they plan to keep them anonymous. In this day and age I think its nearly impossible. Certainly the defense attorneys will have the juror's identities. I can't imagine many prospective jurors would want to be on this jury, but they can't just tell the judge they don't want to. It could be tried to the judge (a "bench trial") but the defendant has to waive his right to a jury trial to make that happen, and that's not gonna happen here.

Your right about all of that.

This could end up being quite a quandry.

Hopefully they will have enough jurors that arent worried about it. Good for them if they feel that way. LOL

Another thing to consider is even if jurors at first are not worried about it then as time goes on and during jury deliberations they may develop a fear to convict him and they may find him not guilty just so they dont have to be part of a jury that convicted him.

I hope that does not happen but I think these are valid things the lawyers need to really consider carefully before they proceed.

yikes. not a chance you'll catch me on any jury, let alone this one. I agree that there is virtually no promise of anonymity.

"Is it the jury's true verdict that you find the defendant 'not guilty'?"

wow.

Yea its a valid fear to have.....

"Cogan wrote in his decision. “Although defendant is not charged with violent crimes, the indictment alleges that defendant, as a leader of the Sinaloa Cartel, employed ‘sicarios,’ or hitmen, who a carried out hundreds of acts of violence, including murders, assaults, and kidnappings.”

"Cogan also noted that juror protection is warranted given the number of third parties who have expressed interest in helping the Mexican drug lord. He pointed to a group of federal prisoners in California, who, following El Chapo’s extradition to the US, released a video “pledging to be hitmen” who are going to “take care” of El Chapo and saying “here you have more than 3,500 soldiers.”

https://nypost.com/2018/02/06/juror-on-el-chapos-trial-will-remain-anonymous/

Judge considers change of venue for 'El Chapo' trial

Each time notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman appears in court in his U.S. case, authorities transporting him to and from jail shut down the Brooklyn Bridge to make way for a police motorcade that includes a SWAT team and an ambulance, all tracked by helicopters.

The intense security measures have become enough of a public spectacle that Guzman's lawyers are arguing it hurts his chances for a fair trial later this year in Brooklyn by prejudicing the jury pool. They say the solution is to move the case to a Manhattan courthouse that's connected to the jail where he's held in solitary confinement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat