GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #5

I was also thinking about the gun. I'll bet LE didn't even confiscate it, and instead just left it there, in the hands of DM. Obviously they didn't bother to check ownership records of the gun. DM had told LE that WM had owned guns - they likely just left it there. Waiting for DM to commit another murder with it.

It appears WMs death was never deemed “suspicious” at the onset and therefore Homicide Detectives were never involved. If the gun was only tested for DNA after the case was reopened, that occurred after TBs murder.

“....Outside court, Det. Mike Carbone of the Toronto Police Service refused to answer questions about how the investigation unfolded at the outset, when police and the coroner originally determined Wayne Millard shot himself.

"I'm not going to comment on whether or not it would have prevented any other investigations, because we really don't know," he said.

Once the case was reopened, investigators discovered that Millard's DNA was on the gun used to shoot his father, and his cell phone had pinged off nearby cell towers around the time it's believed Wayne died....”

Dellen Millard found guilty of killing his father | CBC News

Without a search warrant, I agree, I also don’t think LE confiscated the gun at the time of WMs death.

With no search warrant, he and the officers looked casually around the home for a suicide note, but never found one. Evans ordered an autopsy, requested toxicology tests, and made a preliminary call on the death as a suicide.”
Christie Blatchford: ‘Gentleman, we have a gun here,’ the coroner said, on his way to declaring a murder a suicide

DM does not strike me as someone who could hold that secret all to himself. Here we had a point blank murder, they didn't check his hands for GSR, they didn't test the gun for DNA or prints, they didn't even remove the gun from the premises.. they simply believed the little rich boy who said his dad was a depressed alcoholic. It was just all too good to be true. What are the chances that DM didn't share that coup with at least MS? Zero to none is my bet.

I was also thinking about the gun. I'll bet LE didn't even confiscate it, and instead just left it there, in the hands of DM. Obviously they didn't bother to check ownership records of the gun. DM had told LE that WM had owned guns - they likely just left it there. Waiting for DM to commit another murder with it.

And yet in the police interview Dellen said Wayne had got rid of all his guns ..... sold some to a friend who lived out in the country and could use them ..... turned some in to police because they were going to be restricted etc .... and Wayne did all that because of the new gun registry coming into effect and he didn't want to be bothered owning them.

Point is ...... Dellen said Wayne had no guns yet Wayne shot himself with a gun ..... DUH!!!!!

Not only that , the gun would have been registered to the original policeman who owned it and once TPS finally started to investigate they traced it to tattoo man who sold it to Dellen. No matter what , at that point (Wayne's death) it was an illegal unregistered gun and that alone should have sent up a bunch of red flags.

And this is the same police force that is going to solve the Barry & Honey Sherman deaths ? AHEM !!! ... HAAA! .... I just couldn't resist .

Yes, the confidence in TPS isn't great. And WM's murder would still be known as a suicide if not for the Hamilton police getting right on the Bosma case when it first happened. If they had chosen 'the a'hole' instead of 'the nice guy', they might still be getting away with more murders, since the a'hole truck owner resided in Toronto too, I believe.

There's gotta be a reason why they don't seem to have a great track record for following up on things, whether it's not enough manpower compared to crime levels, too many hands/levels in the pot making too much room for error, or whatever, I don't know. But following these cases seems to highlight a lack of followup and thoroughness in the TPS.

I recently watched an episode of 48 Hours about a case in Sugar Land, Texas that made me think of the Millard-centric cases we've all been following here. It involved a family of four - parents and two sons, with the older of the boys, Bart Whitaker, ostensibly graduating university. In fact, he wasn't even attending school at the time, and on the night he was out celebrating his "graduation" with his family (and accepting their gift of a Rolex), he had set up their murder on their return to the family home. His brother and mother died, but his father thankfully survived his wounds.

Bart had actually been plotting this murder for years, and had gone through at least three sets of potential co-conspirators recruited from his friend groups. Some of these co-consipirators got to varying stages of the plot. One of the potential murder teams got as far as trying to break into the house through a window, but fled when an alarm went off. One of the plots a few years prior was overhead by a college aquaintance who notified police, who in turn warned the family that Bart was on his way home to kill them. It was eventually chalked up to a "misunderstanding".

With all this history, a string of potential witnesses and actual previous police involvement, Bart's story didn't hold up long. It seems literally insane that he ever thought he could get away with it, given all the circumstances. It made me think of how much head scratching I did in the beginning of the Millard/Smich cases on what did and didn't "make sense" in the more brazen acts involved in Tim's killing. I couldn't get my head around people being that delusional, to think they could saunter down Tim's driveway in full view of two witnesses, and get away with it. It just didn't seem that that could have been the plan, and I considered alternate explanations for quite a while. But the perspective of sociopaths like Millard and Whitaker really IS that distorted. They have such a warped sense of their own relative intelligence and cunning, and such a high tolerance for risk, that they do things that the normal brain just can't conceive of.

Whitaker fled to Mexico for a while when he felt the axe coming down, and he lived there under an assumed name. At one point he suggested to his Mexican girlfriend that they could kill her parents if they were bothering her. Her father had given him a job in the family furniture store. So even while on the run for his life, he would have risked it all again, utterly heartlessly.

Whitaker's series of co-conspirator friends and their varying degrees of willingness made me think of the crew around Millard. I've made the point here previously about how ordinary a lot of those people were, even though they ultimately did ugly things. CN, AM, MH et al. It was the same thing with these friends of Bart Whitaker. Some were college students, some peers in his wealthy neighbourhood or from his "good" school. Their motivations included money and "wanting to see how far he would take it". Seems unbelievable. But it's so often true.

Anyway, if the story sounds interesting to anybody, there's lots of stuff on YouTube, and that 48 Hours piece was recent. :)

From the article:

"The verdict is unreasonable," Millard wrote in the document dated Dec. 20. "The sentence is unconstitutional."

The Judge didn't think so. Maybe DM should have thought about the consequences prior to becoming a serial killer.

The article below is over a year old but I don’t believe Saretzky‘s appeal has yet been heard by Canada’s top court, the Supreme Court of Canada. DM is filing an appeal to put his sentencing on record, on the off chance consecutive periods of parole ineligibility are indeed ruled unconstitutional. (I most certainly hope the legislation will pass the test but the Supreme Court’s rulings are not always predictable.)

Sentencing provision that restricts parole eligibility likely to face court challenge, lawyers say
Legal experts say a sentencing provision that can keep killers in prison for the rest of their lives is likely to make its way to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The federal government enacted legislation in 2011 that allows a judge to order a multiple murderer to serve consecutive periods of parole ineligibility for each offence.....

......One of the grounds of appeal will likely be that the consecutive minimums of 25 years amounts to cruel and unusual punishment and, because of that, the section is unconstitutional."....”

From the article:

"The verdict is unreasonable," Millard wrote in the document dated Dec. 20. "The sentence is unconstitutional."

The Judge didn't think so. Maybe DM should have thought about the consequences prior to becoming a serial killer.
Maybe he should've been content with 'just' inheriting his father's estate, and not gotten so greedy to have to get that used truck for free too. How much was the asking price? Too much. Did the guy ever even try to work anywhere as an employee and try to do an honest day's work for a fair wage? Obviously he sucked as an entrepreneur since he didn't really need a brand new multi-million dollar hangar at an airport to use as a chop shop with a bunch of thugs. The greed is astounding.

The judgment of Justice Forestell on December 18, 2018 has been posted on CanLii:

R. v. Millard, 2018 ONSC 7578 (CanLII), <http://canlii.ca/t/hx518>

More so of general interest but still relavent to DMs sentencing:

(from your Canlii link). BBM
“Although hope of parole would be removed by a parole ineligibility period that exceeds the life expectancy of the offender, all hope of release is not removed by such a sentence. As Campbell J. observed in upholding the constitutionality of s.745.51 in the case of R. v. Granados-Arana,[10] “…assuming — without deciding — that an offender who is convicted of multiple murder offences and is subject to an order of consecutive periods of parole ineligibility under s. 745.51 of the Code, must be able to retain, as a matter of constitutional law under ss. 12 and/or s. 7 of the Charter, some hope of potential eventual release from custody, I conclude that the royal prerogative of mercy provides that element of hope…”

Okay, so what is the “royal prerogative of mercy”???

What is the exercise of clemency (Royal Prerogative of Mercy)? - Canada.ca
“The power to exercise the Royal Prerogative of Mercy for federal offenses is vested in the Governor General of Canada by virtue of the Letters Patent, constituting that office.

In practice, the Governor General will grant an act of clemency only after receiving the advice of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada, or that of at least one other minister.

The Governor General may grant two types of pardons, free pardons and conditional pardons, and may also grant respites from the execution of a sentence. In addition, sentences, as well as fines, penalties or forfeitures "due and payable to the Queen in right of Canada", may be remitted by the Governor General...

Can this be true? He was sentenced to 11 years. Even after all the credit he got, he was supposed to be locked up until sometime in 2021.

From January 2018:
This leaves Ward-Jackson with another three years, seven months and two weeks left to serve.
Man who sold guns to Dellen Millard sentenced to 11 years | The Star

Statutory release?

Types of conditional release - Canada.ca
Statutory release
“Statutory release is a mandatory release by law. It is not parole and is not a decision of the Parole Board of Canada. By law, most offenders (except those serving a life or indeterminate sentence) must be released by the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) with supervision after serving 2/3's of their sentence, if parole has not already been granted.....

......Statutory release aims to provide offenders structure and support before their sentence expires to improve the chances of their successful reintegration into the community. Offenders can be returned to custody if they violate their conditions of release or are believed to present an undue risk to the public.”

Can this be true? He was sentenced to 11 years. Even after all the credit he got, he was supposed to be locked up until sometime in 2021.

From January 2018:
This leaves Ward-Jackson with another three years, seven months and two weeks left to serve.
Man who sold guns to Dellen Millard sentenced to 11 years | The Star

I don't know how welcome he is going to be back in his old 'hood. There is a YouTube video floating around of an interview (as Big Iisho Krucifix) he gave before all of this (of his wanting to be a famous rapper), and one of the comments, interestingly, is that another more influential rapper, Nesssia, had stuff posted on her page about him being a rat and such. I don't know how it all goes down in the 6, but I'm guessing he's not going to be too respected back in the area.

Thankfully these guys are dumb. I'm curious what kind of "jewelry store" would have hired someone with his record.

The man who peddled guns to a notorious triple killer had his parole revoked last month for allegedly trafficking women and drugs.
"While reviewing text messages, your (parole officer) read messages suggesting you were involved in drug trafficking," the board wrote.

"Another text message referenced a kidnapping which you claimed was a lie you told the contact to deter the person from wanting to stay at your residence. Upon further review of your phone, your (parole officer) felt you may also be engaged in the trafficking of women, travelling outside your travel boundary and associating with negative others."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back