HI HI - Albert de Mattos, 73, & Lucy Pacheco, 60, Honolulu, 9 Dec 1965

I wonder, too. I question the clerk's sighting as well. But, police did say that they matched the description of them. But still, the police weren't even serious about this case from the beginning.

I think this case could be called "The Mystery of the Stew on the Stove". Unless they suffered from dementia, leaving food cooking on the stove is the key to me. Her daughter said she was very responsible. And, Lucy lived in a duplex so she would have been endangering her next door neighbors if the other unit was occupied and she left it for any length of time. Maybe someone convinced them to drive them somewhere promising it would just take a miinute. If only Betty Jane were still alive.

I think this case could be called "The Mystery of the Stew on the Stove". Unless they suffered from dementia, leaving food cooking on the stove is the key to me. Her daughter said she was very responsible. And, Lucy lived in a duplex so she would have been endangering her next door neighbors if the other unit was occupied and she left it for any length of time. Maybe someone convinced them to drive them somewhere promising it would just take a miinute. If only Betty Jane were still alive.

The stew is the vital key concerning this as it confirms what Betty Jane said when Lucy last talked to her, stating they were going to be back shortly. If they were to be back shortly, then they must not have intended to go very far out of the area. Something happened from that time and to the time of their intended "plans" that were to be short. But, you might be right, that "someone" could have been a hitchhiker, possibly a clean-cut one.

Did they stop to get gas? Did someone at a gas station or corner store see De Mattos at a counter with large amounts of money in his wallet? I don't think his car would have broken down, because it would have been found and seen for a longer duration of time. Perhaps they were held at gunpoint as the gunman sat in back and ordered them to a certain destination outside of Honolulu. But then, no reports were ever received of sightings of the car or them in it.

Here is an in depth look at a 1957 Pontiac Star Chief:

1956 Pontiac Star Chief Survivor - Runs and Drives Well! - SOLD! - YouTube

The stew is the vital key concerning this as it confirms what Betty Jane said when Lucy last talked to her, stating they were going to be back shortly. If they were to be back shortly, then they must not have intended to go very far out of the area. Something happened from that time and to the time of their intended "plans" that were to be short. But, you might be right, that "someone" could have been a hitchhiker, possibly a clean-cut one.

Did they stop to get gas? Did someone at a gas station or corner store see De Mattos at a counter with large amounts of money in his wallet? I don't think his car would have broken down, because it would have been found and seen for a longer duration of time. Perhaps they were held at gunpoint as the gunman sat in back and ordered them to a certain destination outside of Honolulu. But then, no reports were ever received of sightings of the car or them in it.

Here is an in depth look at a 1957 Pontiac Star Chief:

1956 Pontiac Star Chief Survivor - Runs and Drives Well! - SOLD! - YouTube

Hard to believe this many car thefts on an island.
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/05/31/news/index.html
Maybe they did go get gas and someone saw he was carrying a lot of money. December 9, 1966 was on a Friday. Perhaps they were running errands and preparing for the weekend as they went to the laundromat early that morning. I wonder if Betty kept a journal or diary??

Just did a NamUs UID search for Hawaii. Not too many female UIDs for matching Lucy.

NamUs UID Males (Hawaii)

Honolulu County, Hawaii
30 to 99 year old Male
Date found: March 11, 1966
Probable year of death: 1966
2490 Koa Avenue
Decedent found in burned, unoccupied house

Honolulu County, Hawaii
Age cannot be determined
Date found: October 18, 1977
Estimated age: Cannot Determine
Sex: Unsure
H-2 Cutoff, 1 mile S of Wheeler AFB Cutoff
150' of Kamehameha Hwy., Wahiawa
bones found by adolescent looking for fruit; rope found above skeletal remains, unknown if related to death
Clothing: blue pants, black shoes

Honolulu County, Hawaii
18 to 99 year old Male
Date found: February 22, 1978
Nuuanu Valley, 1 mile West of Nuuanu Pali Drive
Hair: Minimal amount on scalp
Facial Hair: Skin on right cheek had gray & white hair
Clothing: white sweatshirt; cut off jeans

Honolulu County, Hawaii
20 to 99 year old Male
Date found: March 07, 1978
Wooded Area, Diamond Head Road
Opposite Diamond Head Lighthouse
Decomposed remains in wooded area; possibly homeless
Hair:profuse, jet black, somewhat matted & interwoven; described as neither kinky or straight
Facial hair: Long, thin, straggly mustache & beard
Clothing: green corduroy pants; blue & white horizontal striped longsleeve pullover

Honolulu County, Hawaii
19 to 99 year old
Sex: Unsure
August 29, 1979
Waialua Sugar Co. Field - Gate 2,Waialua
partial remains found in sugar cane field

Honolulu County, Hawaii
22 to 99 year old Male
Date found: November 28, 1998
Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only (femur only)

Honolulu County, Hawaii
50 to 99 year old White Male
Date found: March 09, 1999
Sugar Cane Field, Kunia Road, Kunia

Females

Kauai County, Hawaii
Age cannot be determined Female
Date found: March 17, 2011
Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Kilauea, Hawaii

Hard to believe this many car thefts on an island.
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/05/31/news/index.html
Maybe they did go get gas and someone saw he was carrying a lot of money. December 9, 1966 was on a Friday. Perhaps they were running errands and preparing for the weekend as they went to the laundromat early that morning. I wonder if Betty kept a journal or diary??

Great link and info. I wonder what the statistics were in 1965?

... it's really accessible by freeway -- you zip in, steal a car and zip out."

I think that statement pretty much sums it up for this case.

Great link and info. I wonder what the statistics were in 1965?

I think that statement pretty much sums it up for this case.

I am seeing conflicting years of their disappearance. Was it 1965 or 1966?

All the newspaper articles are early 1966 so they did disappear December 9, 1965 not 1966.
The only significant event that day is the Kecksburg UFO incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Really grasping for straws here.:ufo:

I am seeing conflicting years of their disappearance. Was it 1965 or 1966?

All the newspaper articles are early 1966 so they did disappear December 9, 1965 not 1966.
The only significant event that day is the Kecksburg UFO incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Really grasping for straws here.

Correct, December 9, 1965 is the day they disappeared.

Wow, I remember this UFO case from Unsolved Mysteries. It happened the same day Lucy and Albert went missing?! :scared:

When people go missing with their cars and their cars are not found I usually assume that they are in a river or a canal and if they find the car they will probably find their bodies.

Are there any rivers in Hawaii? I don't know anything about that state

Article on Detective Joe Lum who dismissed the disappearance of Lucy and Albert as voluntary.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ml+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

and more with photo
http://www.charliechanshawaii.com/2010/12/honolulu-police-museum.html

Good find. Also... believe it or not... I was able to dissect Betty Jane's website and I found a bunch of family photos via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. I was able to see the bot snapshots that were taken of the site going as far back as July 2000. Unfortunately, there are a lot that don't show up and they are the ones with Lucy and Betty Jane and some of them listed as together in photos, but they come up blank...

AND... there is another sibling... I will post the sibling info soon!

When people go missing with their cars and their cars are not found I usually assume that they are in a river or a canal and if they find the car they will probably find their bodies.

Are there any rivers in Hawaii? I don't know anything about that state

There is a canal in Waikiki but it is shallow and it would have been found. Of course there are cliffs and ravines but since Lucy had food on the stove I don't think they would have ventured very far away from Honolulu. They did a search around Hawaii Kai to Makapu'u Lookout (possibly one of the most beautiful scenic points in the world IMHO) http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4377582807_79fc44e30b.jpg and all the way to Sand Island.

They searched this route:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...fDGmFALj6FVB9w&oq=sand+island&mra=ls&t=m&z=12
and Lucy and Albert lived in the Waialae Country Club vicinity.

Okay, here is what I found at Betty Jane's website in 2000 via the Wayback Machine...

*Three-four web pages of family photos.
*Betty Jane had a couple of other websites linked in connection with her mother's memorial site. They were the family photo pages, friends photo pages, A Gene Autry fan page with a photo of her dad and Gilbert together.
*A prayer request page as Betty Jane was Christian.
*And a web page dedicated to John L. Jose (Nephew; Dorothy's son) May 1, 1953 - March 26, 1998

I was also able to view the Guestbook on Betty's page. I read through them and the emails were listed for her son John and a Colleen Pacheco, who was seen as a young girl in a photo long ago with Lucy and her children.

Through this, I found that Lucy's children were Betty Jane, Dorothy, Gilbert, and EDDIE PACHECO!

In a nutshell, Betty Jane really pushed the search for her mother since her disappearance and her efforts showed from the website back in 1999 and 2000.

Okay, here is what I found at Betty Jane's website in 2000 via the Wayback Machine...

*Three-four web pages of family photos.
*Betty Jane had a couple of other websites linked in connection with her mother's memorial site. They were the family photo pages, friends photo pages, A Gene Autry fan page with a photo of her dad and Gilbert together.
*A prayer request page as Betty Jane was Christian.
*And a web page dedicated to John L. Jose (Nephew; Dorothy's son) May 1, 1953 - March 26, 1998

I was also able to view the Guestbook on Betty's page. I read through them and the emails were listed for her son John and a Collen Pacheco, who was seen as a young girl in a photo long ago with Lucy and her children. I tried to email them, but they all came back undeliverable.

Through this, I found that Lucy's children were Betty Jane, Dorothy, Gilbert, and EDDIE PACHECO!

In a nutshell, Betty Jane really pushed the search for her mother since her disappearance and her efforts showed from the website back in 1999 and 2000. I will post the photos that were available soon as well.

That is amazing you found them! I am afraid to ask but...Is Eddie still alive?
It is so sad that Betty didn't live long enough to get closure on what happened to her mother. :( And no one else continued her efforts?

That is amazing you found them! I am afraid to ask but...Is Eddie still alive?
It is so sad that Betty didn't live long enough to get closure on what happened to her mother. :( And no one else continued her efforts?

I did a search on the Star Advertiser and found an Eddie Pacheco that died in his 70's in Texas. Not sure if that was him or not. Didn't find a listing on AncientFaces.

Yes, very sad and heartbreaking to learn that she and some of her siblings never found closure. I have not found anywhere online that her torch has been picked up for the search of Lucy.

Pontiac advertisements of 1957:

1957+Pontiac+Star+Chief+ads.jpg

112804019264.jpg

B34862-2.jpg

A 1957 4-Door Star Chief. Wouldn't this color be considered gray/blue? I'm also searching the license plates seen in all images of the '57 model, no matter what the color of the car is.

Pontiac_Star_Chief_1957_4.jpg

Good idea on checking the plates. That was a pretty luxurious car back then!

By golly, majority of the the fixer-upper ones shown for sale online have the original license plates. We may never know... perhaps the car, with a different look, made its way off the island long after Lucy and Albert disappeared.

Ah, yes, it was a beautiful car and had quite the power with the V-8 engine.

I also wonder about the car in 1965. Was the model still highly admired for being 8 years old as the time? Times were changing fast in the mid 60's in the automotive industry. Today collectors fawn over it. Did people fawn over it at the time Lucy and Albert vanished? Perhaps, depending on the condition Albert kept in, it could have been a motivating factor to steal it.

By golly, majority of the the fixer-upper ones shown for sale online have the original license plates. We may never know... perhaps the car, with a different look, made its way off the island long after Lucy and Albert disappeared.

Ah, yes, it was a beautiful car and had quite the power with the V-8 engine.

I also wonder about the car in 1965. Was the model still highly admired for being 8 years old as the time? Times were changing fast in the mid 60's in the automotive industry. Today collectors fawn over it. Did people fawn over it at the time Lucy and Albert vanished? Perhaps, depending on the condition Albert kept in, it could have been a motivating factor to steal it.

While I was out and about today I actually kept a lookout for an old Pontiac. And something just occurred to me. On 4th of July they have a huge vintage car show here. I will write down the plate number and take it with me when I go. Never know! Wouldn't that be something! Yes, I think the car could have been a motive. Maybe someone followed them home from the laundromat to find out where they lived. Back then people didn't lock the house or cars as much and were much more trusting than today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back