HI HI - Albert de Mattos, 73, & Lucy Pacheco, 60, Honolulu, 9 Dec 1965

Interesting case! I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it. Although it seems that most accept that the two of them drove off a cliff.

I think that's the likeliest scenario. Foul play cannot be ruled out but there's an absence of evidence to support it.

Similarly, I choose to believe the shop clerk was mistaken. It was no great error to get the wrong day or the wrong couple.

Yes, it's a very nice home and neighborhood. The articles I read stated de Mattos picked Pacheco up early that morning and took her to the local laundromat. They returned later on and then decided to go for a ride. She told her family that and that included her daughter who was a teen as the time.

Yes, they only knew each other for three weeks and were engaged. Police let a few months pass on the case as they thought they ran away to elope and would return. They started to get concerned when that never happened. And well, by that point, the police lost valuable time.

Also, it was stated that de Mattos was carrying $800 the day and time they vanished. That's a lot of money to carry around back then, even today. Question is, did he always carry that much amount with him? Or did he flash is around while in public?

Also, police and search & rescue scoured and combed the local hills, valleys, and roads for the car if they had gotten into an accident and the search yielded nothing.
I wonder, too. I question the clerk's sighting as well. But, police did say that they matched the description of them. But still, the police weren't even serious about this case from the beginning.
The car show would be interesting to visit and yes, do bring along the license plate number. But, the thing is, when these old cars are restored, they owners usually get custom plates like "Star 57" or Chief 57, etc. I also did a big search today on old license plate collections. Yep, there are people out there who collect old license plates from all across the nation. I did find some from Hawaii in from the 60's starting the "5A."
Wow, I just went down the rabbit hole on this entire message board and I am so fascinated. I am the great granddaughter of Lucy Pacheco. My mom is Virginia, and my grandmother was Dorothy, one of Lucy’s children. My grandmother, Dorothy passed away but my mom was 16 at the time Lucy disappeared. My mom and her Aunt Betty were very close in age and were more like sisters and I’m pretty sure my mom is the only one still alive from our family that remembers these events like it was yesterday.

A few findings on newspapers.com - sure there are more.

Honolulu Star Bulletin
1660855026201.png

Hawaii Tribune, 13 Aug 66, pg 3
1660855117580.png
Honolulu Star-Bulletin 08 Dec 66, pg 36 - Disappearance of Couple Still a Haunting Mystery (pdf file attached)
Honolulu Star-Bulletin 24 Mar 66, pg 45 - $1000 Reward in Mysterious Disappearance (jpg attached)

Honolulu Star-Bulletin 12 Jan 66,, pg 12

1660855611605.png

Attachments

• Honolulu_Star_Bulletin_Thu__Dec_8__1966_.pdf
    620.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Honolulu_Star_Bulletin_Thu__Mar_24__1966_.jpg
    Honolulu_Star_Bulletin_Thu__Mar_24__1966_.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3
Wow, this is still a mystery to me too. Only too real. Wish they would find some evidence leading to this mystery. They couldn't have just disappeared into thin air. Have to be traces of them somewhere. Of course, my aunts and uncles who would've had an attachment to their Aunty Lucy have all past away, but I am still interested. My mom, Roseline, said that her Aunt Lucy was her favorite aunt. Since you are the granddaughter of Lucy, would you happen to know anything about my grandfather Joseph Martin Pacheco, born about 1885 and past about 1920. My Grandmothers maiden name was Gloria DeLima Tavares. Lucy Pacheco lived with them for a time. I don't know too much about him. My mom was little when her dad passed. She said he was the best dad. I am searching for more info on him too.

Wow, this is still a mystery to me too. Only too real. Wish they would find some evidence leading to this mystery. They couldn't have just disappeared into thin air. Have to be traces of them somewhere. Of course, my aunts and uncles who would've had an attachment to their Aunty Lucy have all past away, but I am still interested. My mom, Roseline, said that her Aunt Lucy was her favorite aunt. Since you are the granddaughter of Lucy, would you happen to know anything about my grandfather Joseph Martin Pacheco, born about 1885 and past about 1920. My Grandmothers maiden name was Gloria DeLima Tavares. Lucy Pacheco lived with them for a time. I don't know too much about him. My mom was little when her dad passed. She said he was the best dad. I am searching for more info on him too.

I am still interested in the Lucy Pacheco case. I am wanting to know if anyone has any more infor on this. Also, I would like to know if anyone has information about my grandfather, Joseph Martin Pacheco. Lucy Pacheco lived with my mother, Roseline Pacheco, and her family for a while. If any of Lucy's family knows about the family during the time she, Lucy, lived with my grandmother, Gloria and Grandfather, Joseph, and can give me any information, I would appreciate it.

Wow, I just went down the rabbit hole on this entire message board and I am so fascinated. I am the great granddaughter of Lucy Pacheco. My mom is Virginia, and my grandmother was Dorothy, one of Lucy’s children. My grandmother, Dorothy passed away but my mom was 16 at the time Lucy disappeared. My mom and her Aunt Betty were very close in age and were more like sisters and I’m pretty sure my mom is the only one still alive from our family that remembers these events like it was yesterday.
So, how many children did Aunt Lucy have? Your mom, Virginia, was her granddaughter, and she had Dorothy and Betty, two daughters? Who was Lucy married to as she lived with Joseph and Gloria Pacheco, my grandparents, and their family, while she was married? Is my facts correct? My grandparents had 6 children. According to the census, Lucy was living with them for a time. Please enlighten me on these facts. I am wanting to know all the info I can about my grandfather. And also more info on Lucy. She was my mother's favorite aunt. My mother's name is Roseline Pacheco.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to get permission to search Tantalus? This case intrigues me. I'm visiting from Iowa & knew when I came I wanted to learn more about this case. Also curious if Albert's son was ever considered a suspect or what that relationship was? I obviously haven't read everything there is to read but everyone here has done an amazing job of filling in missing pieces. My initial thought was a body of water, but back then it probably would've been pretty obvious. But technology is better than ever & I believe this is solvable. Anxious to hear any thoughts!! Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back