HI HI - Albert de Mattos, 73, & Lucy Pacheco, 60, Honolulu, 9 Dec 1965

While I was out and about today I actually kept a lookout for an old Pontiac. And something just occurred to me. On 4th of July they have a huge vintage car show here. I will write down the plate number and take it with me when I go. Never know! Wouldn't that be something! Yes, I think the car could have been a motive. Maybe someone followed them home from the laundromat to find out where they lived. Back then people didn't lock the house or cars as much and were much more trusting than today.

The car show would be interesting to visit and yes, do bring along the license plate number. But, the thing is, when these old cars are restored, they owners usually get custom plates like "Star 57" or Chief 57, etc. I also did a big search today on old license plate collections. Yep, there are people out there who collect old license plates from all across the nation. I did find some from Hawaii in from the 60's starting the "5A."

When people go missing with their cars and their cars are not found I usually assume that they are in a river or a canal and if they find the car they will probably find their bodies.

Are there any rivers in Hawaii? I don't know anything about that state

This is what I'm thinking too. There was a case that was solved a few years ago, mom went missing decades ago, I believe the 50s 60s or 70s. Kids always wondered what had happened but had a hard time believing she abandoned them. Just a few years ago she and her car were found in a lake.

This is what I'm thinking too. There was a case that was solved a few years ago, mom went missing decades ago, I believe the 50s 60s or 70s. Kids always wondered what had happened but had a hard time believing she abandoned them. Just a few years ago she and her car were found in a lake.

I also wonder the same thing regarding this case. If foul play wasn't involved, I wonder if their short drive consisted of driving up to the Tantalus area. The area is known for its breathtaking view near the top that overlooks the Honolulu and Waikiki areas, but the road traveled to get their is on hairpin turns over and through lush, steep, ravines full of island growth. Perhaps they were traveling too fast and went over an embankment or ravine, unseen by anyone at the time.

I wonder if police and family ever searched that area through the years? I came across a youtube video with a guy driving his fast Ferrari through those hairpin roads of Tantalus... and yikes... it looked like an accident waiting to happen!

I also wonder the same thing regarding this case. If foul play wasn't involved, I wonder if their short drive consisted of driving up to the Tantalus area. The area is known for its breathtaking view near the top that overlooks the Honolulu and Waikiki areas, but the road traveled to get their is on hairpin turns over and through lush, steep, ravines full of island growth. Perhaps they were traveling too fast and went over an embankment or ravine, unseen by anyone at the time.

I wonder if police and family ever searched that area through the years? I came across a youtube video with a guy driving his fast Ferrari through those hairpin roads of Tantalus... and yikes... it looked like an accident waiting to happen!

Tantalus is a good thought. That would be fairly close to their homes and a shorter drive time-wise in the 60s since traffic wouldn't have been so bad. Still after all of these years I would have thought their car would have been spotted by someone. It is a beautiful drive and yes, it is a dangerous road. This area is famous for car break-ins as tourists leave valuables and get out to check out the views. Could they have met with foul play while at the park up there, hid their bodies and took off with their car? If would be interesting to know if LE thoroughly searched there.

Tantalus is a good thought. That would be fairly close to their homes and a shorter drive time-wise in the 60s since traffic wouldn't have been so bad. Still after all of these years I would have thought their car would have been spotted by someone. It is a beautiful drive and yes, it is a dangerous road. This area is famous for car break-ins as tourists leave valuables and get out to check out the views. Could they have met with foul play while at the park up there, hid their bodies and took off with their car? If would be interesting to know if LE thoroughly searched there.

It's quite possible that the car went off into a into location that is hidden and obscure from the road and air view. Also, been searching online photos of abandon cars found in the state of Hawaii.

Just read this. Some questions I had are : Where were they actually going when they left ? It says that Lucy was 60. how old was Albert ? He had $800 on him when they left ? Is it known what Albert did for a living ? Were car jacking/car thefts common at that time in Honolulu ?

Just read this. Some questions I had are : Where were they actually going when they left ? It says that Lucy was 60. how old was Albert ? He had $800 on him when they left ? Is it known what Albert did for a living ? Were car jacking/car thefts common at that time in Honolulu ?

No one knew where they were going. I got the impression they didn't know either as it just seemed like plans for a joyride. They each told their family members they were "going for a short drive" that afternoon and would return soon. Lucy left wearing a muumuu and slippers. Her late daughter, Betty Jane, found a stew cooking on Lucy's stove, indicating she was going to be home long before dinnertime.

Albert was 73 years old at the time, and was also of Portuguese descent. He lived about 5-7 minutes south of Lucy in a nice neighborhood near Diamond Head. And yes, he had $700-$800 in cash on him. I believe he was retired, not sure what his occupation was, but his family stated he was coming into a lot money soon at that time because he sold an apartment complex.

Not sure about any carjackings at the time, or how common they were.

I wonder if they drove off a cliff or something on accident and landed into the ocean or some body of water. I know I have heard some stories of people being found years and years later - under water - even creeks.

I wonder if they drove off a cliff or something on accident and landed into the ocean or some body of water. I know I have heard some stories of people being found years and years later - under water - even creeks.

I can't think of too many of places on Oahu that are as treacherous as parts of Kauai or Maui but Tantalus does have unforgiving drop offs and this area is not too far from Kahala where they both lived.

Lucy Pacheco was my sister's former mother in law. Her son Edward B. Pacheco was my sister's first husband. I am glad I found this site. I have wondered often if anything more was found. I was quite young when it happened, and in reading people's accounts of what was known, is correct to me. I am not positive, but I also think that parts of the areas around the shore where a car could go off, was dredged. A car was found but it was not the DeMattos car. Also according to my sister, a radio station had a helicopter go around the island shoreline and there was no sign of the car. Lucy's children, Edward B. Pacheco ,Gilbert Pacheco, Dorothy Jose, Betty Bradley have since passed on. I and the extended family would like to know if there is any other news. I am so glad to have found this site and forum. Thank you all!

I think this case could be called "The Mystery of the Stew on the Stove". Unless they suffered from dementia, leaving food cooking on the stove is the key to me. Her daughter said she was very responsible. And, Lucy lived in a duplex so she would have been endangering her next door neighbors if the other unit was occupied and she left it for any length of time. Maybe someone convinced them to drive them somewhere promising it would just take a minute. If only Betty Jane were still alive.

Lucy Pacheco did not lived in a duplex. They resided in the first cottage fronting Luawai street (about 4-5 cottages in the large lot), the property owner lived in another home next to this lot. Betty Jane was home and I believe also my sister was there (married to Lucy's oldest son Edward B Pacheco.

Last edited:
I did a search on the Star Advertiser and found an Eddie Pacheco that died in his 70's in Texas. Not sure if that was him or not. Didn't find a listing on AncientFaces.

Yes, very sad and heartbreaking to learn that she and some of her siblings never found closure. I have not found anywhere online that her torch has been picked up for the search of Lucy.

No her son Edward B. Pacheco died in 1968, in Honolulu. Betty Jane was the youngest and continued to search as she could until her death. The extended family do hope that there is some news, even after this long. Then perhaps there could be closure. The family had Lucy declared dead after the allotted time and I believe a marker was put next to her husband's grave at Diamond head Memorial park.

So happy to find this website. I am one of ALFRED Andrade de Mattos granddaughters. His name is incorrectly reported / recorded by the police. I was 20 when he and Lucy Pacheco went missing. He and his wife Emma were first generation children born in Hawaii of Portuguese immigrants. Grandma Mattos passed away in 1959. They had eight children and none of the siblings were able to find out what really happened to Alfred and Lucy. They had to wait seven long years to settle his affairs. Would you believe six of the eight children are still alive, the oldest being 102 and I think the youngest is 82. Thank you Kodiak for starting this search and all members who participated in this discussion. I find it most intriguing and will go back and read every word again tomorrow. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could finally find out the truth and be able to tell his children. However, I think all of you have exhausted every avenue. It is 1:40 here on the East Coast and I am very tired but exhilarated. I hope I can sleep tonight.

Forward to 16.22 minutes in the Tantalus Loop video and you will see a hairpin turn to the right (almost a U-turn) that if they missed or were going too fast, they would have gone straight over the cliff. There are other somewhat scary turns but none as severe as this one. I am sure back then, 55 years ago, there were probably no rail guards.

My mother, Roseline (Pacheco) DeCosta was Lucy Pacheco's niece. I was about 18 years old when this happened. I lived in California with my parents and sister at the time. My mother said that her Aunty Lucy was her favorite aunt. I guess she lived with my mom when she was young. I was just wondering, if anyone would know, if Lucy's last name was Pacheco, was that her maiden name that she used when she disappeared? Would she be my grandfather's sister or sister-in-law? If she is his sister-in-law, then what was her husband's name. I don't recall my mother ever saying that her father had a brother named Lawrence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back