GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all our discussion, I'm not sure we have an answer for this that takes in all the facts we know:

Why were her clothes and blanket in an easy to find pile near the road? Why were gloves, and empty rolls of packing tape or duct tape with them?
Black jeans and a jacket too?
Why was her jawbone there with blood on the ground, and fingernails, and her shoes found in the police search too?

We discussed the idea that she was killed and maybe held in or around Haiku, and that Hana Highway was a distraction.
But we know her phone and her dog were out there that night. He could have done that as part of an organized premeditated plan, but his actions and interviews don't seem to support super organization. For example, if he was really setting this up, he should have called her when he got home, not sent a text in the morning. He should have worked out the broken down truck scenario better to be more plausible. He shouldn't have taken real crime evidence out there with blood on it, bone, fingernails. He shouldn't have taken her remains of any part of them anywhere near the area mentioned in his fake story.

The alternative is the obvious that she indeed was killed at or her body came to rest there near Paraquat's, and most of her remains were moved, buried, put in ocean. Don't see how the finishing part could have happened Sunday night. There would not be a detached "bone." That takes at least some time. And at least one of those items of clothing or the blanket stayed in contact with her long enough for maggots to appear. That does not happen in two hours.

I think that the risk of transporting her dead body on Hana Highway was too much, either from Honomanu to Haikku or to Honomanu from Haiku. Neither of their vehicles had a trunk.

I'm thinking she would not have gone out Hana Highway at his request, so he did something to restrain her and took her out there. I have seen that the family wants the police to charge him with false imprisonment. Maybe they know something to support that. If so, that would make it easy to drop Nala off first and get the dog out of the picture so it would not bark when he went to the site he had planned.

Then he buried her in a shallow grave? Then he went back Monday or Tuesday or both. The family was searching the area already; that would have made it very sketchy to do anything by day. If he went down the road alone during the Tuesday search, was he checking to make sure all was undisturbed? He knew at that point that this family was going to search every bit of the area, with the help of volunteers, so his makeshift grave was not going to hold out, if he ever thought it would? So he went back and at that point he would have removed her clothes and put them to the side to do whatever he was doing (gruesome). Maybe he meant to take them away. Maybe he was startled by someone coming down the road and just had to take off. Fisherman and hunters frequent the area and move around in the pre-dawn, for example.

Does anyone have an idea at what point and for what the gloves and duct tape were used? The tape makes me think of wrapping her up in something, but I'm not clear why.
Also there is some conversation in the motion details that indicates the black jeans were SC's size, but nothing about these jeans or jacket having blood or other signs of a crime on them.

The prosecution will need to present a good plausible theory of the scenario in order to overcome the lack of a body in this case, or I don't see how they can prove beyond reasonable doubt.

You give an articulate description of what/how I believe it happened that night, Pua, although you've given it more focussed thought. My conclusion emerged in pictures to me. Gloves, if they're his, are standard fare in premeditation, no matter how poorly completed. Duct tape? Many uses. Not sure about the clothes. Possibly a clean set to wear home, which were overlooked in haste, along with everything else he dropped/couldn't see for whatever unexpected? reason. I hope the someone who claims SC was in/near Hana that night (about 11?) can positively identify him. That would put him there way past the time he claimed, in the interview, to have left Keanae after fixing his truck.
For some reason my mind just can't go there anymore. I think I broke it!

Probably far fetched, but what if it wasn't SC that left the clothing behind. Maybe this is where an accomplice would come in? One of his friends that was just low enough or hi enough to do him a favor and didn't do a great job discarding the items. This person couldn't possibly come forward, they'd be an accessory to murder. Maybe they themself disappeared for a week or so to just get away from it all. Just thinking out loud...

Probably far fetched, but what if it wasn't SC that left the clothing behind. Maybe this is where an accomplice would come in? One of his friends that was just low enough or hi enough to do him a favor and didn't do a great job discarding the items. This person couldn't possibly come forward, they'd be an accessory to murder. Maybe they themself disappeared for a week or so to just get away from it all. Just thinking out loud...
This would account for the poorly done cleanup. OTOH, who outside of the mob or a serious gang has friends that do that sort of thing? Hmm, mostly hard to imagine because I don't know people like that. Glad you put it out there. It's definitely possible.

You give an articulate description of what/how I believe it happened that night, Pua, although you've given it more focussed thought. My conclusion emerged in pictures to me. Gloves, if they're his, are standard fare in premeditation, no matter how poorly completed. Duct tape? Many uses. Not sure about the clothes. Possibly a clean set to wear home, which were overlooked in haste, along with everything else he dropped/couldn't see for whatever unexpected? reason. I hope the someone who claims SC was in/near Hana that night (about 11?) can positively identify him. That would put him there way past the time he claimed, in the interview, to have left Keanae after fixing his truck.
For some reason my mind just can't go there anymore. I think I broke it!
Thanks! Right, the gloves are totally understandable, and I don't know why I asked it the way I did. What I mean is, why would the gloves and duct tape not be taken away, as they are super suspicious. Also they can possibly get DNA from the inside of gloves, so they're not that helpful to the killer if he forgets them on the scene, only if they go away and are never found.

These items found would be good for staging a scene, but don't belong in a scene that the perp had time to clean up.

This would account for the poorly done cleanup. OTOH, who outside of the mob or a serious gang has friends that do that sort of thing? Hmm, mostly hard to imagine because I don't know people like that. Glad you put it out there. It's definitely possible.

I don't know anyone like that either. But from what I understand his group was into drugs, weapons, crimes and maybe felt the same way that a baby would be such a downer. Maybe a friend didn't realize what they were doing at the time? I'm just wondering if this could explain the sloppiness and the timeline of how he seemed to be in several places at once.

It's definitely something to consider.
There are guys who are into pot and collecting guns, who like hunting and target practice. There are guys who are into hard drugs, violence, using the guns on humans, guys who are gang soldiers.
I would have put SC into the first group, from his Instagram and Facebook and comments. But look at what he did. I would have been very wrong about what he could do.

IMHO, SC did not have an accomplice. Too risky! Until recently, I had thought that he'd abandoned her vehicle, but considering the charges, it appears that he took care of that himself as well, again IMHO. I could be wrong.

Back to the motion on the table; it is possible to be detained without being arrested. The note in the Miranda Rights says an officer can in essence, fail to inform the detainee of Miranda Rights but SPECIFIC EVIDENCE gleaned from the INTERVIEW MAY NOT BE USED in a CRIMINAL TRIAL. The defense wants to hide something crucial.

So the defendant wasn't informed that the dog had been found in Nahiku, why is that important? Did the defendant give MPD an alibi that included the dog being back in Haiku? Ignoring what the defendant told Malika, did he tell anyone else the dog was in the car with Charli when he supposedly fixed his truck in Keanae? The only two things the defendant has publicly admitted regarding Nala the dog was that she was in the car with her owner when Charli picked up the defendant and he didn't know what to think regarding the location that Nala was found.

False imprisonment, he forced Charli to accompany him to the middle of nowhere. He kidnapped her.

I think the most simplest of scenarios happened that night. Question I want answered is how could Nala incriminate the defendant? What could he have possibly said regarding Nala and her whereabouts that tripped up his alibi? So he didn't know she was found safe and sound, so what? Be happy for the dog! Why does he care so much? Did someone drop the dog off too early, too clean, in the wrong location?

Logan Wellbright on FCS seems to think this motion is par for the course in delaying the trial. If the defendant is truly looking to beat this case and suppress the damning evidence, I think we're looking at a future plea bargain.

Factor in the unnatural defleshing of the jawbone.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Calcium_oxide

About the middle of the page referencing quicklime--if dry, it preserves;if wet and insulated as by a blanket, loose dirt and leaves, it decomposes quickly.
I also thought about quicklime or lye which is a completely normal purchase if you're into soap making.

Or he cut her up. Allegedly he'd already stabbed his child twenty times, maybe he wasn't beyond cutting up her body. I would've NEVER thought he'd go after the baby. That's some Charles Manson mess right there. Sicko.

Back to the motion on the table; it is possible to be detained without being arrested. The note in the Miranda Rights says an officer can in essence, fail to inform the detainee of Miranda Rights but SPECIFIC EVIDENCE gleaned from the INTERVIEW MAY NOT BE USED in a CRIMINAL TRIAL. The defense wants to hide something crucial.

Logan Wellbright on FCS seems to think this motion is par for the course in delaying the trial. If the defendant is truly looking to beat this case and suppress the damning evidence, I think we're looking at a future plea bargain.
Lolo, hope you don't mind if I appreciate your ideas but respectfully don't quite agree.
Thank you for pointing me to the post Logan added to the FCS site. I was wondering why there was not an update. Logan Wainwright is extremely well spoken (is he an attorney?). It feels good to see that the points Logan made were the same points I made here, thinking it through.

Yes, it is possible to be detained without arrest, but that didn't happen here. SC was not in fact detained, and his attorney isn't arguing he was detained. Attorney is arguing that SC FELT like he had no choice, which is about SC's perception rather than the actual situation. That's not going to hold up. The overall situation doesn't support that SC would be detained or coerced at that point. As I said yesterday, and LW says, there was NO EVIDENCE a crime had been committed when SC was questioned. The concern was valid based on knowledge of how Charli would not go off without communicating. That is not evidence, and even if she had come to harm, they were at the time searching for a car accident. Her car was not found and no physical evidence had been found showing violence occurred. Police are notoriously conservative about missing persons cases of adults. It wasn't for almost a month that it became a homicide investigation. He was just very sensitive about cops, probably because he was so guilty and already leading a life of the petty criminal.

As Logan says, the law wants the guilt-proving evidence to be admissible to the court; that's the basic point of having a trial, to hear that type of evidence. It won't be suppressed just because it's not in his best interest to have it presented at trial. Miranda rights mean that if he is detained, they have to inform him of his right to be silent and talk to an attorney. They don't have to do that when they are questioning a guy who is legally free to go.

I think you're reading too much into the motion. Defense is going to throw out possible motions at any step. There's no penalty for it unless they have no merit and are a total waste of the court's time. The attorney is going to try every time there is an opening. It doesn't need to be a winner, and it doesn't need to be crucial evidence. Maybe it is; obviously it is something that incriminates SC, but there's a lot of leeway between potentially incriminating and damning. It's in SC's best interest to have all his statements suppressed, if he could.

Of course the defendant would like to suppress all damning evidence, and will try, but if the evidence was obtained properly the D will try and fail, so it goes.

It's SOP to offer a plea bargain if conviction is not certain, especially circumstantial evidence cases. A bird in the hand worth two in the bush. Big stakes in a murder trial, as we know. He cannot be tried again if he is found not guilty. Then he would be free. They have to first and foremost make sure he gets a sentence and doesn't go free, but they have time to see how the trial goes. They wouldn't offer a good plea deal at the beginning.

We don't know much at all over in the cheap seats about how admissible the evidence will be. It's just wait and see what gets challenged and how that goes. Is it good to delay the trial with tactics? I guess so. It makes the trial more expensive to the taxpayers, and that is always being tallied, cost versus benefits. BUT it's a heinous high profile murder, and public outcry would be huge if they threw in the towel for that reason.

So the defendant wasn't informed that the dog had been found in Nahiku, why is that important? Did the defendant give MPD an alibi that included the dog being back in Haiku? Ignoring what the defendant told Malika, did he tell anyone else the dog was in the car with Charli when he supposedly fixed his truck in Keanae? The only two things the defendant has publicly admitted regarding Nala the dog was that she was in the car with her owner when Charli picked up the defendant and he didn't know what to think regarding the location that Nala was found.

I think the most simplest of scenarios happened that night. Question I want answered is how could Nala incriminate the defendant? What could he have possibly said regarding Nala and her whereabouts that tripped up his alibi? So he didn't know she was found safe and sound, so what? Be happy for the dog! Why does he care so much? Did someone drop the dog off too early, too clean, in the wrong location?
All interesting thoughts and questions. Very likely it is one of those things. Starts to look like he was not expecting Nalu to be found and felt free to say some BS that was shown to be a lie.)/QUOTE]
False imprisonment, he forced Charli to accompany him to the middle of nowhere. He kidnapped her.
Right, I understand what it is about. IF he killed Charli in Haiku when she arrived, it would not be false imprisonment. IF he talked her into going out to Keanae, then turned on her suddenly, not kidnaping. I was just saying that if the family thinks he did imprison her, that tells us something about their theory of what happened. She was alive when she went out there, but wasn't driving him fooled by his pretext. They said something about how if she were trapped in the car with the door locked, and it was going down the road, she wouldn't ever try to jump out because that would be harmful to the baby. So sad.

Yes, it is reminiscent of the Manson case. Manson didn't order anyone to stab a fetus though. Susan Atkins had that horrible idea on her own. They didn't even know that a pregnant woman was staying there. It just evolved in a very cruel and inhumane way that was horrifying because they had no personal motive to torture Sharon Tate other than she was a Hollywood star and they resented her lifestyle.

Pua, you don't have to respectfully agree or disagree with me. I don't know you, you don't me, I don't care either way. Maybe my English isn't all that great because after I read your posts I think, that's not what I was trying to say. :blushing:

Anyway I'm only pointing out the Miranda Rights, not as it pertains to this case but how the defense attorney was pulling the card trying to give the defendant an out. Innocent until proven guilty, he wants a fair trial.

I definitely was not saying this case was like the Manson murders. Again, language was misconstrued. I used it like a colloquial term. Or at least tried.

Pua, you don't have to respectfully agree or disagree with me. I don't know you, you don't me, I don't care either way. Maybe my English isn't all that great because after I read your posts I think, that's not what I was trying to say. :blushing:

Anyway I'm only pointing out the Miranda Rights, not as it pertains to this case but how the defense attorney was pulling the card trying to give the defendant an out. Innocent until proven guilty, he wants a fair trial.

I definitely was not saying this case was like the Manson murders. Again, language was misconstrued. I used it like a colloquial term. Or at least tried.
Thanks, lolo. You're right, I got something else from your post, that the motion might have some chance of succeeding. I thought we were talking about how Miranda pertains to this case and whether it's a good motion. We know the defense attorney wants to do his job, but will he succeed.

I'm big on trying to understand what other people are saying and all I have to go by are the words they write. Aloha.

It is great that we have such intelligent, compassionate people on this thread. I am so glad that you all are on here.

I saw this on a different thread. Awareness Space. Evidence so far is in SC's awareness space.

This was helpful to me, and is taken from the murder of Jennifer Ramsaran thread a couple years ago Someone brought up the story today. Sorry I don't recall who. It was on Dateline I think & YouTube as our other Websleuther mentioned. Worth watching. I'll try to find the link.

QUOTE::

At this point, perhaps the best path to solving this particular murder rests with the ability of law enforcement’s geographic profilers to identify the killer’s awareness space, which is defined as that geographic area that individuals have become familiar with over their lifetime. It is composed of those places that have been incorporated into a person’s memory by repeated exposure.

A person’s, including a criminal’s, awareness space is centered around those locations that are most important to them, starting with their home and including other locations such as work, a friend’s house, the primary stores where they shop, favorite walking paths, etc. It is also composed of the transportation corridors used to connect those locations to one another.
in the vast majority of child abduction murders, as well as other crimes, researchers have found that theperpetrator lives within his awareness space, commits his crimes close to home and within that awareness space, and disposes of his victims and other evidence at the outer edges of the awareness space, generally along the space’s transportation corridors.

This is because when it comes to operating in our comfort zones, criminals, even sociopaths who murder children, have been found to be just like the rest of us. We tend to operate within the areas that we know best.

UNQUOTE

Very interesting RunDaSurf! Maui is small as far as usable and accessible space goes, the defendant seems to have used his awareness space as far as disposing of her belongings. Now it's time to focus on finding her body.

I read a comment last night on the burgulary charge that said something to the effect, "even if Steven couldn't stomach killing her himself, he's still sick enough to have someone do it."

Call me crazy (Hi, I'm Crazy) but since I read about the 20 something stab holes in Charli's skirt, I thought what if he didn't do it but someone else did? I just want to believe Steven wouldn't hurt her like that. :(

Maui is small as far as usable and accessible space goes,

People frequent their same places on the island. Where your house is, where your work is, where your beach is, where you buy food, where you go out. You can live in Haiku, not go to Lahaina ever and reverse. You can live in Kula 20 years and not been to Hana in 18 or 10.

SC knows Haiku, Pe'ahi, Keanae (where evidence was). Charli lived and worked in Makawao. I know how close that is but think difference it is her awareness space and his is Haiku Pe'ahi instead.

LE, prosecutor, should dig into how he is familiar in Keanae and Honomanu. For body did his awareness space extend to Hana was he there a lot? Is there a place there or people there that make it ""the outer edges along the space's transportation coridor" or is that what Honomanu and Nahiku are to him? Where would he hide bodies and feel in control?

I read a comment last night on the burgulary charge that said something to the effect, "even if Steven couldn't stomach killing her himself, he's still sick enough to have someone do it."

Call me crazy (Hi, I'm Crazy) but since I read about the 20 something stab holes in Charli's skirt, I thought what if he didn't do it but someone else did? I just want to believe Steven wouldn't hurt her like that. :(

Hard to believe anyone would. Hard to believe a hired hitman would do that. The manner of attack is so personal how could it be anyone who didn't know her. And get to her in short time after she supposedly helped him with his truck and before she got to her home that night. Even if the skirt is not allowed in evidence the jawbone and the time effort to hide a body make it seem more like someone who knew her than a stranger who would be more likely to get away with it if they could get away from scene or just frame SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname