Hoax Revealed? Family proves they tipped gay waitress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another fishy thing about this part of the story is that Dana (of which I assume "Dayna" is a variant) has traditionally been a name given to both males and females. So even if the couple took Ms Morales to be male, there was no reason for them to express surprise on hearing her name.

I'd probably have commented and made a little joke about hearing the name wrong if I heard a male's name and a female ended up serving us. Dana took offense to it because she assumed they were joking about her looks (my understanding, could be mistakne) by being "surprised" by her feminine name.

Well, now I won't ever again since you can't be sure joking and banter with your server won't get you internet flamed.

Restaurant: We're investigating whether anti-gay 'tip' was a hoax

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ss...y_receipt_hoax_manager_says.html#incart_river

"The owners are doing their investigation and looking into the Visa batch credit card accounts," Byron Lapola, manager of the Gallop Asian Bistro, told NJ.com Tuesday said. "We'll release a statement once they see what's what."

There is also this quote from Jenni Saldana in the article...

"I'm hoping this is all some big mistake, and I'm shocked this turned out the way it did," Saldana told NJ.com Tuesday. "We're both hoping the latest is not true, but are both waiting to learn what develops."

Restaurant: We're investigating whether anti-gay 'tip' was a hoax

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ss...y_receipt_hoax_manager_says.html#incart_river

"The owners are doing their investigation and looking into the Visa batch credit card accounts," Byron Lapola, manager of the Gallop Asian Bistro, told NJ.com Tuesday said. "We'll release a statement once they see what's what."

There is also this quote from Jenni Saldana in the article...

"I'm hoping this is all some big mistake, and I'm shocked this turned out the way it did," Saldana told NJ.com Tuesday. "We're both hoping the latest is not true, but are both waiting to learn what develops."

~bbm

Really? She's hoping that the customer was actually a bigot rather than her having sharpened her pitchfork without doing her homework. jmo

"A North Rockland High School alumna accused of making up a story about being denied a tip at a New Jersey restaurant due to her sexual orientation has a reputation for lying, former colleagues and friends said."

http://www.lohud.com/article/201311...estyle-has-lied-in-the-past-ex-colleagues-say

But Morales has been caught in multiple lies, telling co-workers she shaved her head because she had brain cancer. . .

:liar:

Reidy said poems penned by Morales during their courtship that she kept appeared to have matched the writing on the restaurant receipt, bringing into question whether Morales wrote the note on the receipt herself.

“She lies about everything,” Reidy said.

:eek:

If reporters would investigate a story like they USED to do, innocent people would not have been defrauded and a family would not have been wrongly persecuted. JMO

If reporters would investigate a story like they USED to do, innocent people would not have been defrauded and a family would not have been wrongly persecuted. JMO

Without taking ANY of the blame from Dayna Morales, ITA. Just another symptom of the entitlement culture. Do as little as possible for as much as possible and don't even think about the collateral damage or long term consequences. Guaranteed the original reporters are comparing their nail art over Cosmos somewhere, or the male equivalent

jmo

Back on the original thread about this incident, I did a bit of research before posting. The family was already claiming Dayna was lying. I provided a link to the article. I've claimed fraud from day 1.

I can't find the original thread. It would be interesting to know what info the media had and how long they continued to report "the story" while people speaking the truth were ignored or worse. I mean it's one thing to be on a victim friendly site where you're not permitted to express doubt about an alleged victim regardless of whether there's well-founded suspicion, but quite another for the msm to do the same!

jmo

The hostess told them their server's name would be Dan, not Dana. Or at least that's what they heard.

jmo

Right, but my point was that even before we had the full story, the waitress's claim that the customers maliciously said something amounting to, "Oh, we didn't expect you to be called Dana*, 'cause you look like a boy!" didn't pass the common-sense test.

* I know she doesn't spell it that way, but remember that the customers apparently only heard her name, they didn't see it written down.

She could not be reached directly by NJ.com Tuesday.

Lapola said Morales was not working at the restaurant Tuesday. When asked if she would be back working again, he said it would "depend on the owners" and the investigation.

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ss...ating_anti-gay_receipt_hoax_manager_says.html

A Bronx lesbian couple who were so moved that they drove from New York City last week to personally deliver more than $200 in replacement tips to Morales, said Tuesday they were livid when they heard her story had been alleged to be a hoax.

bbm

Jenni Saldana told Morales at the restaurant as she delivered the money that she had felt compelled to come in person because she had just lost her best friend, an "out" Marine who died from cancer that morning.

Jenni Saldana told Morales at the restaurant as she delivered the money that she had felt compelled to come in person because she had just lost her best friend, an "out" Marine who died from cancer that morning.

And let's remember Morales dragged the Marines into it too with her nasty comments:

'I am THOROUGHLY offended, mad, p***ed off and hurt that THIS is what her kids will grow up learning and that I served in the Marines to keep ignorant people like them free.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ss-offensive-note-instead-tip-claim-hoax.html

But remember, as I learned from this thread, the proper response to Saldana's loss of her friend, and her attempt to do something good, is to laugh at her.

Seems this development stirs up a lot of anger yet NONE of the anger is directed at the liar Morales.

I have to give Saldana credit as she DOES have the integrity to step up and say this was wrong.

:moo:

Much ado about nothing. JMHO

Pffft.

:liar: :liar: :liar:

I can't find the original thread. It would be interesting to know what info the media had and how long they continued to report "the story" while people speaking the truth were ignored or worse. I mean it's one thing to be on a victim friendly site where you're not permitted to express doubt about an alleged victim regardless of whether there's well-founded suspicion, but quite another for the msm to do the same!

jmo

IIRC it was a week or so back and I believe it went POOF. It just disappeared. Said it was moved and I never saw it again. Maybe someone else knows. It grew pretty heated.

IIRC it was a week or so back and I believe it went POOF. It just disappeared. Said it was moved and I never saw it again. Maybe someone else knows. It grew pretty heated.

Thanks, thought I saw it. It's not the first time that has happened.jmo idk

Who is angry, other than those whose anger and, apparently, downright glee that this is possibly a hoax, are posting all over this thread and the last one?

Do you remember the original thread on this? At that time several of us said it sounded like a hoax and many other posters supported her and basically implied that anyone who dares SUSPECT it is a hoax must be a hater and a homophobe!

There was a LOT of anger in that first thread not to mention the folks in news articles and online that spewed hateful statements about the family etc...

If anything I think the people (such as myself) that are snickering at the fact this OBVIOUS hoax has been revealed have the LEAST anger issues!

:moo:

Much ado about nothing. JMHO

Pffft.

:liar: :liar: :liar:

I disagree. Though it's going to a good cause, presuming Dayna's telling the truth about it, folks are donating money under false pretenses. You have to wonder about the motivation of the hoaxer and what the victims of this hoax must have been feeling. They should ask for the $18 to be refunded, and I'm sure the restaurant isn't too pleased with the outcome - customer leaves a 20% tip and gets smeared in the media, albeit anonomously. Then again, the restaurant knew who paid for the meal and that they left a tip, and they allowed the hoax to perpetuate.

I disagree. You have to wonder about the motivation of the hoaxer and what the victims of this hoax must have been feeling. They should ask for the $18 to be refunded, and I'm sure the restaurant isn't too pleased with the outcome - customer leaves a 20% tip and gets smeared in the media, albeit anonomously. Then again, the restaurant knew who paid for the meal and that they left a tip, and they allowed the hoax to perpetuate.

bbm, I agree, it's not looking good at this point for the restaurant. If their fb is an indicator they need to do something.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/us/new-jersey-gay-waitress-tip/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Facebook is on fire with hateful comments from people angered by the report.

Brian Cook wrote on the original Facebook post, "When you lie to make someone LOOK homophobic, you weaken your cause."

Mia Frederiksen wrote, "Whatever the motive, it's going to harm people who truly are discriminated against. The more this happens, the more the truly maligned will be ignored."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500