Humpin Hash House Harriers

Here is a link that describes the Hash House Harriers best way I can describe it:

http://matadornights.com/how-to-be-a-hash-house-harrier/

The times I've gone, it was always very tame, just people wanting to socialize after going for a run. Partiers but also athletes. I've never experienced that it was people looking for sex or to swing and if there are people that 'branch off' and do this, it's not what the club itself is like. It's a very big group worldwide and I know when I've been out of town and wanted people to run and socialize with, I could sometimes find them and run with them. It's not what you're thinking, believe me, it's going down the wrong path.

This is a YouTube video about them, and it looks like good clean cut fun. I don't know. I'm still thinking it may have confused Gardner, a RSO, to be exposed to those xrated names they give themselves to say the least. LOL.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4cRVSXtGzs&feature=related[/ame]

JBean, if this is OT please remove if necessary. We are just looking into a group that John was a member of, the way I see it.

Here is a link that describes the Hash House Harriers best way I can describe it:

http://matadornights.com/how-to-be-a-hash-house-harrier/

The times I've gone, it was always very tame, just people wanting to socialize after going for a run. Partiers but also athletes. I've never experienced that it was people looking for sex or to swing and if there are people that 'branch off' and do this, it's not what the club itself is like. It's a very big group worldwide and I know when I've been out of town and wanted people to run and socialize with, I could sometimes find them and run with them. It's not what you're thinking, believe me, it's going down the wrong path.

I agree that it's not known to be a swinging group. However, if a sexual predator is exposed to sexually charged images and conversatons related to running I don't believe it's a stretch that it could affect their view of women and more specifically female runners.

I agree that it's not known to be a swinging group. However, if a sexual predator is exposed to sexually charged images and conversatons related to running I don't believe it's a stretch that it could affect their view of women and more specifically female runners.

BBM and if JAG is in pix then he must of run or socialized in this group.........

Normally, I may not have noticed or known of this group. Now, I'm naturally curious why they seem to have a sexually charged agenda. Those pics described, some really raunchy names, etc., seem inappropriate to have out there. I hope this group we're talking about took precautions to keep their children's exposure to the sexual names and whatever totally compartmentalized and hidden from the young. I'd still be suspious of having any of the adults around my own children. Maybe it is a harmless branch of the bigger club, but it may have had an bad influence on Gardner. Any teenager could also figure out how to see those pics of his parents and find out their secret names.

Am I just jaded by the news?

The pictures I saw were of JAG at a Thanksgiving meal at the Matinal home. I believe he would have been exposed to the sexual nicknames, language and culture of the club through extensive family involvement even if he wasn't directly involved.

The Dec 27 jogger attack happened hours before a Hash House Harrier run in the same area, and the same run went very near the area where Chelsea was found.

I have a feeling parents ran off the next day from their home (after garage door deal)
because this was going to come out.
Bet the neighborhood knew all about this club and people coming and going.........
Talk of the neighborhood???/

I wanted to post to defend the HHH. I have never joined any of their events, but they are worldwide. When we lived in Egypt, we saw them all the time just outside of Cairo in one of the desert areas that expats hung out in. I had never heard of them - but they seemed like a funloving group. Entire families would join in. Yeah, we did drive through the celebration afterwards and get beer thrown on us, but I never saw any sexual overtones/suggestions or heard of that at all.

HOWEVER... I just googled the Humpin Hashers. Wow. There are quite a few of those groups - and there is no mistaking what they're all about. There's a group in Oregon called the Dead *advertiser censored*' Hash House Harriers. :furious:

So now - I don't know what to think of the HHH. I think it's probably loosely organized with local autonomy for each group to name themselves and act as they please...

The pictures I saw were of JAG at a Thanksgiving meal at the Matinal home. I believe he would have been exposed to the sexual nicknames, language and culture of the club through extensive family involvement even if he wasn't directly involved.

The Dec 27 jogger attack happened hours before a Hash House Harrier run in the same area, and the same run went very near the area where Chelsea was found.

No wonder the neighbors were upset. No wonder it was the Garage Door.

I really don't want to sound harsh, but it's really a surprising bit of info that may explain what the neighbors were seeing. Once you find out that the RSO "not" living next door is, and you know that his family has been insensitive to his treatment to not expose him to sexual content that will incite him it's hard not to be angry. Good thing his parents are hiding their faces for now.

Several of the Humpin hash sites are blocked by my server.....it seems actions are being taken.

I was just reading at another site, and I think there's reason to be very concerned about this particular group and others like them in the southern California area.

At the other site, they've going though the same pictures and information we have, but to a greater extent than we have. They've found MySpace pages for two of the members of the HHH group and under their profile, they list their sexual preference as "swinger."

At this point, we don't know if all are swingers, some are swingers, or only a few. But from the pictures we've seen at their website, which is now taken down, I think there's a number of members who are definitely swingers and their lifestyle is tolerated by the others in the group.

I also think this may have been the reason for JAG's mother and step-father leaving their home the day after Chelsea's body was found. I think they know that their affiliation with this group will be made public.

Oh yes, it will probably get out if that other group is digging even deeper into it. I find it hard to believe some are swingers but others are not. The group as a whole seemed to be promoting the sexual flavor to the club. JMO, there must be other running/jogging clubs people in the area could join if you weren't into partying with swingers.

Big question, were the parents in the swingers section? Was it something a neighbor would notice?

Oh yes, it will probably get out if that other group is digging even deeper into it. I find it hard to believe some are swingers but others are not. The group as a whole seemed to be promoting the sexual flavor to the club. JMO, there must be other running/jogging clubs people in the area could join if you weren't into partying with swingers.

Big question, were the parents in the swingers section? Was it something a neighbor would notice?
Even bigger question - was JAG a member? Did "mommie dearest" take him along (even once or twice) on these "runs"? We've heard there are pics of him at one of the celebrations - could this have been at the end of a run that he attended?

I wouldn't care if my neighbors were swingers. I would care if they allowed a RSO to stay in their home.

The red dress run is more like a Mardi Gras type event or halloween costume party. They (male and female) run in red dresses. It gets local press coverage and is tolerated by the community.

at this point we are just linking to innocent people that have no relevance to this murder. I am going to close this thread.
If anything changes, please let me know.

Finally the media has let the story out about John Gardner's parents involvement in the Humpin Hashers.

http://www.10news.com/news/22792388/detail.html

They are "in possession of" photos. LOL I bet they are.

Anyways, without going too deeply into the hedonistic crew...

I have been wondering about John Gardner and the running/drinking/partying group.

First of all, his Mom is in the psyche med field and ought to know not to put him in this highly sex-charged situation... or did she do it hoping he'd become interested in grown women?

Lots of 'ifs', that is for sure.

Second, the hasher events are held all over SoCal and ... did John know of a lot of places... for example, they had a Humpin Hash campout at Vail Lake near Temecula in 2007. Just miles from where Amber was found.
They had an event the SAME DAY the jogger was attacked in Dec in the same park Chelsea was found.

I am going to go ahead and reopen this since it is now being reported on.
However, if you all start linking to all the information about people involved in this group or people are named and pictures posted only because they are in this group I am going to close it again.

Please think carefully about invading other people's privacy and think before you post.

Thanks guys.

I will open this in a bit to make sure everyone sees this note.

I agree that this is a group known worldwide. I'm from San Diego, and while I've never run with them, I see their marks (chalk and flour) all over the streets and canyons near where I live on a regular basis.

Also, when I was in high school, I (like Chelsea) was a cross country runner. Our coach occasionally made a HHH style trail for us to follow and it definitely made for a fun practice. Once, we accidentally crossed over a "real" HHH trail and some of us started following that one instead, leading us to almost get lost (and kept us running well after dark).

Finally, do you guys remember the publicity about the HHH a few years ago in Connecticut? One of the clubs put down a trail thru an Ikea parking lot. Someone freaked out about "someone dropping white powder" in the parking lot and the entire store was evacuated for hours. The HHH members were charged with a felony... such a dumb misunderstanding!! Apparently none of the New Haven police force are runners in their free time!

The article linked above states his mom and step-father were at the registration table at 2PM for the event. Does anyone know if they still had a helicopter out at that time broadcasting his description?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back