Hurricane Hilary threatens California, August 2023

It's after 11 pm here, South Bay, PV Peninsula. It's not even raining anymore.
Weatherman earlier said things would worsen at 10 thru overnight, even predicted some waterspouts.
I think it's passed by......but who knows?
I feel bad for all those in the really affected areas inland where it's still happening.

I've been thinking about Hilary & an earthquake happening in the same day. I found this article which I found to be very interesting. YMMV.

By Alan Buis,
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

In fact, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, the only correlation that’s been noted between earthquakes and weather is that large changes in atmospheric pressure caused by major storms like hurricanes have been shown to occasionally trigger what are known as “slow earthquakes,” which release energy over comparatively long periods of time and don’t result in ground shaking like traditional earthquakes do. They note that while such large low-pressure changes could potentially be a contributor to triggering a damaging earthquake, “the numbers are small and are not statistically significant.”

But what about climate? Are there any connections between climate phenomena and earthquakes? We asked geophysicist Paul Lundgren of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, to do a scientific shakedown on the matter.
Much more at link......

The same location and pic is now on ktla. eta: Live updates: Tropical Storm Hilary lashes Southern California
A fast-moving mud and debris flow has closed Oak Glen Road at Pendleton on Aug. 20, 2023. (Inland News)

https://twitter.com/FirePhotoGirl

There are several other images/videos here and among others

FirePhotoGirl (a great fire and storm photographer) got caught in that Oak Glen mess and was nearly swept away - she lives very, very nearby and knows the area well and is not one who usually misjudges.

It really appears that caught everyone off guard.

KTLA still has a vehicle stuck, along with a few stringers and at least one LE vehicle.

There are several other areas similarly cut off (Forest Falls, etc.)

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/FirePhotoGirl

FirePhotoGirl (a great fire and storm photographer) got caught in that Oak Glen mess and was nearly swept away - she lives very, very nearby and knows the area well and is not one who usually misjudges.

It really appears that caught everyone off guard.

KTLA still has a vehicle stuck, along with a few stringers and at least one LE vehicle.

There are several other areas similarly cut off (Forest Falls, etc.)
Scary!

On a lighter note, a subhead on the Weather Channel assured viewers that LA pubic schools are closed tomorrow.

Read it again carefully...

There was no mention of privates schools.
This is hysterical!! Thanks for sharing.
It appears the storm split. Winds hit west Arizona. I have feet on the ground there that got some high winds they weren't expecting and some extra rain/wind monsoon type weather more east. It's being attributed to Hilary.
Unfortunately, living on the south east coast, I am all to familiar, you either get the rain or the wind. Neither are good. Hilary is going to be one for the books for many reasons!

I meant there was no news yesterday. The worst of the storm was predicted for today, and so far I can say that I've lived here for 26 years and I've experienced much heavier rain than I saw today, and apparently the worst is over.

While I am very thankful that it wasn't worse, this is the second time in a year that a stormageddon was predicted and amounted to virtually nothing in the greater SD metropolitan area.

I fear that in the future, a truly destructive storm might hit and people will have not prepared because of these cries of wolf that we've experienced.

I could understand it if the attitude had been, hey, we can't actually predict how bad this might be but it's prudent to be prepared just in case.

But it's all been ehrmagerd this is going to be the worst storm EVER, leading to panic buying at the grocery store and for me personally, at least 24 hours of anxiety that I could have lived without.

Good points. I was concerned, but my concern was tempered by the knowledge that the mainstream news media were lying about this being ‘the first tropical storm to hit the region since 1939.’ (Check out Tropical Storm Nora, 1997, for example. I didn’t know the name, but I’ve lived in the region all my life, and I remember things.)

So, you’re right—they were crying wolf, for attention.

Good points. I was concerned, but my concern was tempered by the knowledge that the mainstream news media were lying about this being ‘the first tropical storm to hit the region since 1939.’ (Check out Tropical Storm Nora, 1997, for example. I didn’t know the name, but I’ve lived in the region all my life, and I remember things.)

The nuance is explained here at The Weather Channel . (6:55 a.m. ET) 26 Years? 84 Years? Explaining the Nuance

Seems the key thing is “landfall”.

“Since Hilary didn’t technically make landfall in California, the September 1939 tropical storm in the Los Angeles Basin remains as most recent storm to landfall in the state. Its center tracked directly into Southern California from the ocean.”

It was still a serious storm. Yes, it's not gonna be like the Gulf Coast, because it just isn't.

I'm 100 miles inland in Texas and we get tropical storms from time to time. (Downgraded hurricanes)

Like CA our creeks are "dry creeks". The topology of Bexar County is hilly and is prone to flash floods, but it certainly isn't like California. We don't have mountains in Bexar County.

Hilary in parts of CA appears worse than what we get here. This is due to California's rugged terrain and naturally dry climate.

I've been thinking about Hilary & an earthquake happening in the same day. I found this article which I found to be very interesting. YMMV.

By Alan Buis,
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

In fact, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, the only correlation that’s been noted between earthquakes and weather is that large changes in atmospheric pressure caused by major storms like hurricanes have been shown to occasionally trigger what are known as “slow earthquakes,” which release energy over comparatively long periods of time and don’t result in ground shaking like traditional earthquakes do. They note that while such large low-pressure changes could potentially be a contributor to triggering a damaging earthquake, “the numbers are small and are not statistically significant.”

But what about climate? Are there any connections between climate phenomena and earthquakes? We asked geophysicist Paul Lundgren of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, to do a scientific shakedown on the matter.
Much more at link......
Very interesting!

When the air pressure changes so significantly, I get horrible headaches. I left work early on Friday because of it, and only did a 1/2 day Saturday. My ears were closing up, and I was nauseous.
It has happened before where I will say to myself, or text myself, that I think we will have an earthquake. And we usually do.

Does LA have a manner to collect this type of water or does it flow into the ocean? It's a shame to lose so much water in an area that deals with droughts so often.

California got a lot of rain and snow this winter, but one wet year hasn't freed the state or the rest of the West from the long-term drought brought on by climate change. Some areas are trying to figure out how to capture and store more rainwater for drier times. Caleigh Wells from member station KCRW reports on what Los Angeles is doing.

CALEIGH WELLS, BYLINE: Sterling Klippel looks like a kid in a candy store as he gazes at San Gabriel Dam outside Los Angeles. He's an LA County stormwater engineer, and he's in charge of capturing rainwater.

BRUCE REZNIK: We are trying to undo sort of a century worth of poor planning around water, and it's going to take us a while.
More at link..........

As a side note, my smallish city in LA County I believe does a much better job than L.A. at saving rainwater.

Since the 1980's whenever a development is built it must include a retention pond (or several if it's a large developement). The water collected in the retention ponds goes into the underground aquafer. We have a natural creek (that's usually dry unless it's raining) that captures street run off and funnels as much of our rainwater as possible to our retention / treatment facility. These are small things that could really make a difference in dry California.

Last edited:
Does LA have a manner to collect this type of water or does it flow into the ocean? It's a shame to lose so much water in an area that deals with droughts so often.
Reservoirs have been the historical route, but acquiring land and evaporation has always been an issue.
The NPR article that Labor Day RN posted discussed innovative ways of storing water.

We recycle waste water here. It's not for drinking though.
We also collect rain water and store it an underground aquifer. However, obtaining landowner's permission to fill their underground aquifer is a challenge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back