Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

So glad you made it home safely! Woah at the pictures! :(

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PositiveLight, Cujenn81 posted some remarkable pics alright. RIP old tree and pier.

I wonder if we will hear anyone mention seeing The Grey Man Ghost. Anyone know if he is seen elsewhere besides Pawleys Island?

Glad you made it through that experience. I totally agree with you that people need to be very careful about carbon monoxide and especially with generators. I read that at least two of the deaths this weekend was an elderly couple running their generator in the garage. Never should do that. The carbon monoxide fumes probably seemed right through the walls or attic into the home area or if they had door cracked for the electric cord to the generator.

I have a generator and I try to be very careful with it as I only ever run it outdoors and I make sure the exhaust is pointing away from the house.

From experience with it I can see where people will make mistakes with them. People need to be sure to buy extra electric cords so they can run the generator outside and use extension cords to get the power into the house. If they dont have the extra cords then they probably mistakenly get the generator too close to house.

Another mistake people will make with them is when its raining. There is a natural tendency to want to run it under shelter to keep it dry. You have to plan ahead for that and have a good spot but still outside.

Another problem with them is you do have to get the cord into the house so you have ot be careful how to do that without getting gasses in too. I run the cord through a window and shut the window down on the cord to where there is just a small crack. But I have my generator so far away that there should be no gasses ever getting to that window.
I am pretty sure other people have made the mistake of having their unit be too close to the opening where their cord goes into the house.

So many mistakes are made because we dont use them very often and if we are not prepared with how to keep the exhaust away and have plenty of cords then mistakes happen.

Like you said though there are other devices that also cause carbon monoxide. Having good detectors is a good starting point. They are like smoke detectors but for carbon monoxide. The gas is odorless and so you dont smell it coming. And like you said when you start getting affected by it then it can be too late because you cannot react to it because you may pass out or not be in your right mind.

When I run my generator i get real scared about the gasses and I think that has helped me do things right so far because i have a good respect of the poison gases that can accumulate. Glad you made it through that example on New years. That was a close call for sure.
All excellent points!!! It was a very scary incident for me. I've been paranoid ever since. It was an old house with high ceilings. We didn't put the alarm near the actual heater (big mistake) but again it was supposed to automatically shut off if it was detected. We were very lucky.

Reading about the generators reminds me of Conrad Roy. :(

Excellent advise. I never would have thought a Generator to be dangerous unless it's deliberate.
I have never really been in a situation where one was needed. Very good to know.

Thank God y'all are alright, PositiveLight.

Reading about the generators reminds me of Conrad Roy. :(

Excellent advise. I never would have thought a Generator to be dangerous unless it's deliberate.
I have never really been in a situation where one was needed. Very good to know.

Thank God y'all are alright, PositiveLight.
Thank you! It's important to know there are many ways carbon monoxide can occur. So be careful with any situation involving an engine etc. Or object that can release carbon Monoxide. <3

My poor city of Myrtle Beach has really been hammered today. I'm glad I decided to leave town (because I know how terrified I'd have been if I hadn't), but I hate not knowing the state of my house and/or neighborhood right now.

There are currently 185K+ without power in Horry County.

More than 100 roads have been closed due to flooding, downed power lines, fallen trees, or complete wash outs.

74 mph gusts were reported as late as an hour ago (as the back end of the storm usually packs the hardest wind punch).

FOUR piers have been completely destroyed--Surfside Beach Pier, Springmaid Beach Pier, 2nd Avenue Pier, and Apache Pier.

The sand dunes were completely wiped out up and down the beach.

Rainfall totals have exceeded 12" and the Waccamaw River is expected to rise higher than it did last October during the "1000 Years Flood". I can't even fathom the level of devastation when that happens because SO many homes were destroyed last year.

My heart is truly broken... BUT I'm very thankful that all of family and friends are still safe and that is such a blessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my son call his grandma yesterday, she's at the golf and yacht club. Did they evacuate everyone or did some people stay? She said she's ok, only had a power outage.

I wish I knew you were there on Thursday ... what a nightmare it was with no car, knowing no one, just another tourist, and evacuated from not one, but two hotels. I'm pretty sure I got the last seat on the last flight out of Savannah Thursday evening. With a night with no sleep, I'm finally home again after flying across the country and doubling back to get home.

Looking at the projections today, it looks like the storm will not be as devastating it might have been, but the storm surge is still a concern.

Where did you end up? Meaning what town?

Where did you end up? Meaning what town?

I managed to get a flight to Atlanta late Thursday. The Atlanta American Airlines desk closed at 8:30, so I spent an hour on the phone trying to arrange flights. From Atlanta I flew to Seattle, and eventually got a flight home - essentially zigzagging across the country.

I was not impressed with American Airlines. They told me at 2PM on Thursday that the Savannah airport was closed, and I believed them ... but the flight I took left at 8:30PM. AA should not have lied to me. The manager gave me his business card and told me he had reserved rooms in a nearby hotel, but I would have to pay the cost. When I got there, I was put in a room that smelled of stale smoke and urine for $129/night. I requested another room. That one only smelled of stale smoke. I again requested another room, and was finally in a room that didn't smell.

For no particular reason, I decided to walk to the parking lot - not sure why. Even as I was walking there I wondered what I was doing, but I kept going. In the parking lot I met a man who told me that he had received a notice under the door an hour earlier that the hotel was being evacuated. I had not received the notice, so I went back to the front desk to ask about it. It was true - they had omitted telling me that they were being evacuated at the time that they registered me. That is when I requested that they cancel the cost of the room, and that the shuttle take me back to the airport. I was thinking that I could take a cab to the Civic Center and evacuate to Augusta. At the airport, I noticed people at the Delta check-in and that's when I learned that the airport was not closed, and there was a flight out. What an ordeal!

I managed to get a flight to Atlanta late Thursday. The Atlanta American Airlines desk closed at 8:30, so I spent an hour on the phone trying to arrange flights. From Atlanta I flew to Seattle, and eventually got a flight home - essentially zigzagging across the country.

I was not impressed with American Airlines. They told me at 2PM on Thursday that the Savannah airport was closed, and I believed them ... but the flight I took left at 8:30PM. AA should not have lied to me. The manager gave me his business card and told me he had reserved rooms in a nearby hotel, but I would have to pay the cost. When I got there, I was put in a room that smelled of stale smoke and urine for $129/night. I requested another room. That one only smelled of stale smoke. I again requested another room, and was finally in a room that didn't smell.

For no particular reason, I decided to walk to the parking lot - not sure why. Even as I was walking there I wondered what I was doing, but I kept going. In the parking lot I met a man who told me that he had received a notice under the door an hour earlier that the hotel was being evacuated. I had not received the notice, so I went back to the front desk to ask about it. It was true - they had omitted telling me that they were being evacuated at the time that they registered me. That is when I requested that they cancel the cost of the room, and that the shuttle take me back to the airport. I was thinking that I could take a cab to the Civic Center and evacuate to Augusta. At the airport, I noticed people at the Delta check-in and that's when I learned that the airport was not closed, and there was a flight out. What an ordeal!
Wow Otto! You sure had a major ordeal!! That's insane they didn't tell you on check in!

Wow Otto! You sure had a major ordeal!! That's insane they didn't tell you on check in!

I don't know why American Airlines misled me - I wondered at one point whether there was some sort of arrangement between the manager and the hotel. $129/night was rather pricey for the hotel recommended by the airline.

I just checked the rates online for the Red Roof Inn near the Savannah Airport, and rates start at $63. Clearly there was something fishy between American Airlines manager (whose card I have) and the Red Roof Inn.

Is it legal to double hotel prices in Georgia during a hurricane?

I don't know why American Airlines misled me - I wondered at one point whether there was some sort of arrangement between the manager and the hotel. $129/night was rather pricey for the hotel recommended by the airline.

I just checked the rates online for the Red Roof Inn near the Savannah Airport, and rates start at $63. Clearly there was something fishy between American Airlines manager (whose card I have) and the Red Roof Inn.

Is it legal to double hotel prices in Georgia during a hurricane?
No it's not. Report it! That's price gouging and they are being very proactive about stopping it. Definitely report it!

No it's not. Report it! That's price gouging and they are being very proactive about stopping it. Definitely report it!

Thank you! I think I should report it. I remember reading something while I was there about that being against the law.

I have had connectivity issues but we are fine and survived with only a few small trees down. We lost power around 2:30 Friday and our cell service was knocked out about 6:30. I'm not sure what time the internet went out but our cell service and Internet are still out. We got power back late Saturday night. I am so glad we didn't get hit too badly and suffered very minimal damage. My in laws in Brunswick, GA are still without power and the ones on St. Simons Island aren't being allowed home yet do they aren't even sure about damages. My heart goes out to those that were hit hard and are continuing to suffer from the damages.

I have had connectivity issues but we are fine and survived with only a few small trees down. We lost power around 2:30 Friday and our cell service was knocked out about 6:30. I'm not sure what time the internet went out but our cell service and Internet are still out. We got power back late Saturday night. I am so glad we didn't get hit too badly and suffered very minimal damage. My in laws in Brunswick, GA are still without power and the ones on St. Simons Island aren't being allowed home yet do they aren't even sure about damages. My heart goes out to those that were hit hard and are continuing to suffer from the damages.
So glad y'all are safe!! Praying for you and your family!

I had my son call his grandma yesterday, she's at the golf and yacht club. Did they evacuate everyone or did some people stay? She said she's ok, only had a power outage.

They only evacuated people within Zone A, which includes everyone east of Kings Highway/17 Business.

The link below is a slideshow of pictures of damage in SC.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article107101192.html

I walked down to the beach today and took a few photos of the severe beach erosion and the destruction of our beautiful sand dunes. :(

309089b162ad21ba2831a39c00b99ee7.jpg

ea1177f84b0c906233a5c0b26f6a6d79.jpg

And below are two photos I've taken of the beach during the past year (for comparison purposes).

5a841cac1cfccd988df15a597c3012f5.jpg

7b58649385be11e806790ed34fa001bf.jpg

The link below is a slideshow of pictures of damage in SC. http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article107101192.htmlI walked down to the beach today and took a few photos of the severe beach erosion and the destruction of our beautiful sand dunes. :(
309089b162ad21ba2831a39c00b99ee7.jpg
ea1177f84b0c906233a5c0b26f6a6d79.jpg
And below are two photos I've taken of the beach during the past year (for comparison purposes).
5a841cac1cfccd988df15a597c3012f5.jpg
7b58649385be11e806790ed34fa001bf.jpg
made me sad glad youre ok

Statement from Jacksonville Electric Authority:

As of 5:00 am more than 91% of JEA customers have power. We are continuing to work to complete service restoration for our customers. Hurricane Matthew caused severe damage to JEA&#8217;s system. We currently have assistance from utilities in Florida and four other states, quadrupling the number of field crews doing electric restoration. We won&#8217;t stop until everyone&#8217;s power is restored.

I'm in Central VA, but our neighbors, friends, and family in NC seem to be getting the brunt of Matthew. I have family in Fayetteville, who just moved--their old house would've been basically destroyed. In Fayetteville, it is bad, but they at least have their home. No power yet, and just got water back yesterday. 33 people have died in the state of NC b/c of this hurricane. Most of the issues are from river flooding---so sad that some who evacuated from the coast, and came inland, had to be re-evacuated b/c the hotels they were staying in were filling up with water. Also, tons of dead livestock and animals --- they have to find a way of safe disposal :(

I live at the coast in Wilmington, NC. A huge, 80' oak tree fell and landed directly on my home. The tree limbs are through the ceiling into my bedroom. There are also several more holes in the roof, one directly over the kitchen. The tree is massive and I've not been able to stay in my home. Waiting for insurance rep. Major damage. Thankful I was not in bedroom at the moment the tree fell or I wouldn't be here.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have experienced damage and losses.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back