Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

Thankfully, Matthew was nothing like Katrina. That's what made me continue my education. I was a full time Mom who'd majored in accounting. I felt so helpless during the aftermath of Katrina that it spurred me to do something to help if there ever was another disaster. I was notified by the local emergency response team during Matthew because I always check the box that I'd be willing to help during emergencies when I renew my nursing license, but thankfully wasn't needed.

What a cool thing to do! No matter how bad things get, there's always folks out there who want to help. We always had volunteers coming in, and a lot from out of state, to help our organization, in whatever way they could. Teen groups, college kids doing an alternative spring break (or summer break), retired folks would stay for a few months sometimes, there's actually a lot of good people in this world. :)

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer! Be careful!!! I speak from experience. You don't even know it's happening. If you know someone is possibly suffering from carbon monoxide please get them away from the source and fresh clean air immediately. My daddy saved my life on New Years Day when he called me and i was soooo sleepy and i thought birds were in my chimney. The sound I was hearing was actually the carbon Monoxide detector going off! like a fire alarm. But to me it sounded like muffled baby birds. He lived only blocks away and busted in the door and drug me outside before I was completely gone. Everything seemed like it was very far away. As I got fresh air my daddy called the fire dept. Come to find out after the fire chief sat on our couch and recorded extremely high levels of carbon monoxide, it was found to be coming from a wall heater that was supposed to have sensors in it to shut off if it was detected. I had been so sick on and off that whole winter up to then. So had my son. We were suffering from exposure to carbon monoxide. Thank God that day I had sent my son with my parents to a party at a family members home. He wouldn't have survived that day. I stayed home because i was so sick. Thankfully that winter it wasn't as cold as it sometimes can be. So I wasn't running the heater too often. Needless to say the new wall units were recalled. Just because it says it's safe doesn't mean it is. Lesson learned! There are many different things that release carbon monoxide. You HAVE to be careful! Stay safe!

Thankfully, Matthew was nothing like Katrina. That's what made me continue my education. I was a full time Mom who'd majored in accounting. I felt so helpless during the aftermath of Katrina that it spurred me to do something to help if there ever was another disaster. I was notified by the local emergency response team during Matthew because I always check the box that I'd be willing to help during emergencies when I renew my nursing license, but thankfully wasn't needed.
HIII!!! :loveyou: That is such a wonderful thing to do!!!!

.>>>>snipped<<<<
Live PC's link below too
attachment.php

ABC NEWS 4 LIVE UPDATES:
Hurricane Matthew makes landfall south of McClellanville

Along with other info and updates, an inspection is complete of Ravenel Bridge "huge" news, will be opened soon.

All urged to stay in and patient until downed power lines, flooding, downed trees, and debris are cleaned, to be safe, by Gov Nikki Haley.

Grateful to LE and all state and emergency personnel, including cyber security measures provided by the Reserve, in particular with a heads up on a spear fishing email going out pro-porting to be disaster related, (not sure on details).

My poor city of Myrtle Beach has really been hammered today. I'm glad I decided to leave town (because I know how terrified I'd have been if I hadn't), but I hate not knowing the state of my house and/or neighborhood right now.

There are currently 185K+ without power in Horry County.

More than 100 roads have been closed due to flooding, downed power lines, fallen trees, or complete wash outs.

74 mph gusts were reported as late as an hour ago (as the back end of the storm usually packs the hardest wind punch).

FOUR piers have been completely destroyed--Surfside Beach Pier, Springmaid Beach Pier, 2nd Avenue Pier, and Apache Pier.

The sand dunes were completely wiped out up and down the beach.

Rainfall totals have exceeded 12" and the Waccamaw River is expected to rise higher than it did last October during the "1000 Years Flood". I can't even fathom the level of devastation when that happens because SO many homes were destroyed last year.

My heart is truly broken... BUT I'm very thankful that all of family and friends are still safe and that is such a blessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm riding it out in North Carolina right now. We are flooding badly inland.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

My poor city of Myrtle Beach has really been hammered today. I'm glad I decided to leave town (because I know how terrified I'd have been if I hadn't), but I hate not knowing the state of my house and/or neighborhood right now.

More than 100 roads have been closed due to flooding, downed power lines, fallen trees, or complete wash outs.

74 mph gusts were reported as late as an hour ago (as the back end of the storm usually packs the hardest wind punch).

FOUR piers have been completely destroyed--Surfside Beach Pier, Springmaid Beach Pier, 2nd Avenue Pier, and Apache Pier.

Rainfall totals have exceeded 12" and the Waccamaw River is expected to rise higher than it did last October during the "1000 Years Flood". I can't even fathom the level of devastation when that happens because SO many homes were destroyed last year.

My heart is truly broken... BUT I'm very thankful that all of family and friends are still safe and that is such a blessing.

Sooo glad you chose to leave where you know you are safe. It sounds so sad, the damage people will have to take care of. I hope there is insurance or low-cost repairs that can help. I hope your home fares better than you might expect, cujenn.

I'm riding it out in North Carolina right now. We are flooding badly inland.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

kbpirate, please be extra alert and careful. Post when you are able so we don't stay worried about you. Wish you well, dear pirate friend.

Hoping everyone is okay. Stay safe riding out the night.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the prayers and positive thoughts. I was very lucky. Lost power for 29 hours but didn't lose any trees. My neighbor across the street lost several, but amazingly they didn't hit her car or house. She said the angels must have been looking out for her--the trees missed car and house by inches. I spent a couple of hours "in the closet" during the most intense part. I'm thrilled to have power back--the original estimate by JEA was Tuesday at 4 PM. Be safe everyone!

Hi everyone. Thanks for the prayers and positive thoughts. I was very lucky. Lost power for 29 hours but didn't lose any trees. My neighbor across the street lost several, but amazingly they didn't hit her car or house. She said the angels must have been looking out for her--the trees missed car and house by inches. I spent a couple of hours "in the closet" during the most intense part. I'm thrilled to have power back--the original estimate by JEA was Tuesday at 4 PM. Be safe everyone!

So glad to hear you came through unscathed Jax.

We're under a state of emergency in central NC. Lots of flooding. Fortunately my house and neighborhood are okay so far and I have power. Lots of friends do not. Prayers for all affected. It's still not over.

Oh my goodness! I'm praying for good news!!! :(

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So glad you are safe! It definitely sounds like angels were watching!! Was getting worried!

I have family in Lumberton NC and they are having some flooding now. My family in Wilmington NC lost power an hour ago. They said the weather was worse in Lumberton. My aunt has a home on the Cape Fear river and it's already flooded. She is safe and not at her home thankfully! Praying for all still riding it out! Stay safe out there! Much Love to all! <3

Cujenn, I am so hoping your home is I n better condition than you are thinking it is. How close to the beach are you?

I love MB and was just there three weeks ago. Have been going there for fourty years so have seen the many changes caused by storms and hurricanes .

What you describe is heart breaking. Let us know when you find out. I am glad you left and are in a safe place. Prayers for good news tomorrow.

Cujenn, I am so hoping your home is I n better condition than you are thinking it is. How close to the beach are you?

I love MB and was just there three weeks ago. Have been going there for fourty years so have seen the many changes caused by storms and hurricanes .

What you describe is heart breaking. Let us know when you find out. I am glad you left and are in a safe place. Prayers for good news tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I live only one block away! (Well, actually... I guess that IS a fortunate thing except in situations like this one. LOL!)

I'll definitely keep y'all updated. I plan on returning home tomorrow... that is, of course, if I can get there. [emoji51]

Glad you're okay!

They rescued over 500 people in Fayetteville, NC, weather channel. People were on roof tops on in cars.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kforbes862
Back