Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

Attachments

• David Schultz.png
    David Schultz.png
    431.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Not exact, but close. Coordinates are for where pin is across from farm. GPS Coordinates on bottom of pic.

View attachment 500525
This so much makes me rule out medical emergency. First would be use his phone and call or help. Second is a home right there. I just would think go knock on the door and ask for help, not walk out into an empty field.

Not stated so far. I had somewhat the same question on the "finding". Being a really "old" farm kid, I was curious if: The finder was the owner and actually tilling away, when he reaches this point in the field and there lays the body. Or was he "walking the field" inspecting for any situation and soil conditions before he actually began machine work. And as you question, was the location more with wandering lost or nearby road access dump from concealment?
Myself back when, I would have been focused on where my tractors wheels were aligning with my last round and looking closely forward and downward to be sure, and not see the body until I was about to run over it. Huge fields, big tractors, many rows wide are different, but It would be a surprise I am sure.
I was also thinking that it would be hard to notice a body while operating large machinery. They’re huge and you’re not looking for anything like that. It’s like how when you’re driving a car if you don’t remember to watch for motorcycles you might totally not be aware of one right in front of you, because you’re used to watching for other cars.

This so much makes me rule out medical emergency. First would be use his phone and call or help. Second is a home right there. I just would think go knock on the door and ask for help, not walk out into an empty field.
Half a mile doesn't seem that far to walk and be overcome by Hypothermia either. I don't think it was really that cold that night. According to weather underground it was 39 degrees around 2 AM on Tuesday morning 11/21/2023 when he would have parked his truck. Fort Dodge, IA Weather History | Weather Underground

We don't know if David was wearing a coat when found. The coat in the ditch I believe was his loading coat. He could have been wearing his every day coat.

David likely would have walked south along the road from where the truck was parked if he actually walked away from the truck. Not taken off cross country across the fields. What put him out in the that field if he actually walked there on his own? If he was cold why didn't he go to the farm directly across the road from where his body was found?

JMO

Funeral services for David Schultz, age 53 of Wall Lake, IA, will be on Friday, May 10, 2024, at 10:00 a.m. at Peace Lutheran Church in Wall Lake. Visitation will be held at the church on Thursday, May 9, from 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. with the family present from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Full obituary to come soon.

Half a mile doesn't seem that far to walk and be overcome by Hypothermia either. I don't think it was really that cold that night. According to weather underground it was 39 degrees around 2 AM on Tuesday morning 11/21/2023 when he would have parked his truck. Fort Dodge, IA Weather History | Weather Underground

We don't know if David was wearing a coat when found. The coat in the ditch I believe was his loading coat. He could have been wearing his every day coat.

David likely would have walked south along the road from where the truck was parked if he actually walked away from the truck. Not taken off cross country across the fields. What put him out in the that field if he actually walked there on his own? If he was cold why didn't he go to the farm directly across the road from where his body was found?

JMO
But did he walk the most direct and obvious route from Point A to Point B? We can't really explain where he ended up in terms of somebody in their right mind just deciding to walk down the road a bit then take off into a field. Nor can we assume that somebody in an altered state of mind would even necessarily be walking on the road (think Brandon Lawson). I'm sure we'll never know the path he took to get there, but it might not be the path a clear mind would choose.

I don’t think I actually support this theory, but I am bearing it in mind. If DS left his truck in a state of disorientation (insert the cause of your choice: medical, psychological, drug induced…) it is possible that he had actually wandered rather far away and was trying to find his way back to the truck. That could have provided more than enough time for hypothermia to cause his death.

Last edited:
I don’t think I actually support this theory, but I am bearing it in mind. If DS left his truck in a state of disorientation (insert the cause of your choice: medical, psychological, drug induced…) it is possible that he wandered rather far away and was trying to find his way back to the truck. That could have provided more than enough time for hypothermia to cause his death.
It's really too bad David didn't take his phone with him. That may have provided LE with the location of his body in the field if David had been there the whole time.

The phone data may have also shown if David walked or if David was driven to the location where his body was found.

If David walked beyond the location where his body was found or in any other direction that also may have been able to be determined by the phone data.

I think there are going to be many question that will remain unanswered unless there is foul play involved.

JMO

If he had been driven to the spot in the field where his body found, wouldn't the police have seen a trail thru the field where a vehicle went or was it hard to tell?

It would be obvious. Can safely rule that out.
If David had been driven to that spot in the field back in November, there may not be any visible trail from a vehicle thru the field after this amount of time.

You realize then that that's not cow poop, right? Cow poop would be easier to tolerate...
Just because he was delivering hogs doesn’t mean the farmer that owned that plot of land had hog barns.
Yes hog manure is worse than cow, and I always associate cattle with corn but hogs eat it too. But the farmer could have been spreading chemicals or any of nature’s fertilizers.

I live in corn country, but not Iowa. Around here everyone fertilizes with chicken manure, farm fields and home gardens alike. It has a strong and distinct aroma and you can smell it everywhere you go for several weeks. The scent of cow manure is much milder in comparison.

How does the type of manure play into the case?

Last edited:
I live in corn country, but not Iowa. Around here everyone fertilizes with chicken manure, farm fields and home gardens alike. It has a strong and distinct aroma and you can smell it everywhere you go for several weeks. The scent of cow manure is much milder in comparison.

How does the type of manure play into the case?
It does not, someone just pointed out there is more than one type when I said cow. That didn't change my point at all. it's time for farmers to be spreading it on the fields.

Just because he was delivering hogs doesn’t mean the farmer that owned that plot of land had hog barns.
Yes hog manure is worse than cow, and I always associate cattle with corn but hogs eat it too. But the farmer could have been spreading chemicals or any of nature’s fertilizers.
The OP was referring to the current foul smell coming from the fields. They’re being spayed with liquified grossness from the lagoons at Iowa hog confinements. Feel free to come for a visit if you’d like to experience it firsthand.

The OP was referring to the current foul smell coming from the fields. They’re being spayed with liquified grossness from the lagoons at Iowa hog confinements. Feel free to come for a visit if you’d like to experience it firsthand.
Yes, I grew up in farm country. I am aware of the various smells. Hog, chicken cow, veal, etc.

The point is, the stuff being spread around this time of the year may be the very reason someone was in the field to find the body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdowpp1
Back