IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. Mr. C said he saw Elizabeth many times and Tammy said she rode to the lake to meet her friends that lived down there.

I don't remember that. What I recall is that Elizabeth had a couple of neighborhood friends that rode their bikes to the lake and that she had gone with them on a couple of occassions.

The children's scent would have been on the bikes, and when the dogs were directed to track the scent, they went to the bikes. That's all they did. Couldn't this also mean that the dogs simple located the items that belonged to the children? Since the dogs did not track in any direction away from the bikes, wouldn't that mean that there was no scent from the children leading in any direction away from the bikes?

How would we conclude that because the dogs identified the bikes that belonged to the children, the children were there ... especially given the fact that the dogs stopped dead in their tracks at the bikes?

I wasn't there and even if I had been there, I wouldn't know. Depending on the dog, I might be able to make an educated guess but only the handler knows.

According to the reports I read, though, the dogs didn't stop at the bikes. They kept on going. What that means, only the handler knows for sure. As I recall, Aunt TB said the dogs went into the woods; Sandy Breault of the FBI said the dogs went towards the water.

Neither account suggests to me that the dogs stopped dead. I would be really, really surprised if the dogs did stop dead, without doing any casting around at all for more scent.

Egads! I didn't realize the thread had run so long. I'll work on a new one and post the link in a few minutes.

Thanks for letting it run through Elizabeth's celebration though. I almost posted a mod request to do that so we could all "be there together" so to speak, and was glad when the thread didn't get closed.

I don't remember that. What I recall is that Elizabeth had a couple of neighborhood friends that rode their bikes to the lake and that she had gone with them on a couple of occassions.

That is correct. But in addition to that, Mr C also said he was familiar with Elizabeth because she would ride her bike to the end of his street, turn around, and wave at him -- frequently.

When LE gets the results of the autopsies, how much will they share w/the public?

I mean, other than them probably saying the case is now classified as a homicide, do you think they will address such things as:

COD?
whether body site is primary/secondary?
were girls clothed? (if not, were clothes found w/them?)
Do they believe there was a sexual assault?

Friday July 13th was a very hot and humid day, with light rain on and off. Many people in Iowa on a day like this, stay indoors where it's cooler. I noticed the day that I rode the bike trail to the lake which was on the weekend, there was only one person that I passed on that bike trail. Remember it only took me less than 10 minutes to reach the lake where the bikes were found, from Elizabeths residence.

Here's weather data for the day. Very hot?

http://www.wunderground.com/history...y=Cedar+Falls&req_state=IA&req_statename=Iowa

I think so. Wilma said that they rode their bikes around the "loop" and that she kept an eye on them. They were riding away from the house towards River Forest Road when they were last seen on video.

I'm trying to understand the route that may have been taken by the perp if he abducted the girls within a block of the house ... not sure how this will work out ... it's difficult to squish the maps down to a size that doesn't blow margins

possible-routemeyers7bridges.jpg

not sure what you mean but here's a rotated and enlarged version of
your map - and a crop of the left side. Let me know if you need something else -

Attachments

• possible-routemeyers7bridges rot.jpg
    possible-routemeyers7bridges rot.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 7
  • possible-routemeyers7bridges rot crop.jpg
    possible-routemeyers7bridges rot crop.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 7
Funeral services set for Lyric Cook-Morrissey Dec. 29

50cacda9c91d0.preview-300.jpg

21 minutes ago • By KCRG

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa --- Funeral services for Lyric Cook-Morrissey are set for Dec. 29 from 2 to 5:30 p.m. at the Heartland Vineyard Church in Cedar Falls, according to a family member.
Wylma Cook, Lyric's grandmother, confirmed the information. Misty Cook-Morrissey, Lyric's mother, is expected to speak at the service.
Lyric was one of the two girls reported missing in Evansdale in July. Her body was found earlier Dec. 5 in rural Bremer County, ending a five-month search.
The service, titled a "Celebration of Lyric's Life," is at the same church where Elizabeth Collins' services were held last week.

Kind of O/T, but this morning while driving my kids to school, I couldn't help but notice the amount of young girls I saw walking to school alone. I know a lot of people don't think abduction and it will never happen to them. Maybe I am just jaded and more aware because of WS, I don't know, but I am floored at the amount of small kids I saw walking alone today. It really shakes me to the core seeing that and how easy it would be for someone to snatch up one of these young kids I saw walking alone. It's so scary!! :what:

rumor of arrest in the case is not true

Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock tells KCRG.com that rumors of an arrest in the investigation of the missing cousins, Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins are not true.

"To date, there have been no arrests made, nor person(s) of interest taken into custody in this case," Black Hawk County Sheriff Rick Abben said in a release.

"Law Enforcement recognizes the public interest in this case but cautions the public not to make judgments or assumptions based upon law enforcement actions," Abben continued.

another snip:

Law Enforcement recognizes the public interest in this case but cautions the public not to make judgments or assumptions based upon law enforcement actions. They are a normal part of this investigation. If/When an arrest is made; the families and public will be notified through official correspondence and only through official channels.

We want to caution the public to not act independent of law enforcement by harassing or taking matters into their own hands toward individual(s) law enforcement may have contact with, based upon hearsay and assumptions they may have heard. The public should continue to assist law enforcement by coming forward with information they may by calling the Tip Line(s) at 319-232-6682 or 1-855-300-TIPS or emailing ourmissingiowagirls@dps.state.ia.us.
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Arrests-in-Missing-Cousins-Case-a-Rumor--183812791.html

Smock said since Dec. 5 “several rumors have circulated regarding the apprehension of a suspect or person of interest related to this case. To date, there have been no arrests made, nor person(s) of interest taken into custody in this case.”

He said investigators continue to interview individuals and pursue reports of evidence as they are made aware. These interviews and follow-ups have been on-going since July 13th, “and will continue until this investigation is completed."

"The public is asked to make no assumption based upon these interviews or collection of evidence," he added.

Smock said law enforcement recognizes the public interest in this case, but cautions the public not to make judgments or assumptions based upon law enforcement actions.
http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_70b4c242-4877-11e2-bd7e-001a4bcf887a.html

I wasn't there and even if I had been there, I wouldn't know. Depending on the dog, I might be able to make an educated guess but only the handler knows.

According to the reports I read, though, the dogs didn't stop at the bikes. They kept on going. What that means, only the handler knows for sure. As I recall, Aunt TB said the dogs went into the woods; Sandy Breault of the FBI said the dogs went towards the water.

Neither account suggests to me that the dogs stopped dead. I would be really, really surprised if the dogs did stop dead, without doing any casting around at all for more scent.

I'm just thinking that if we look only at what has been officially stated regarding the bloodhounds, and ignore all the speculations and rumor, then it sounds like the bloodhounds simply identified the bikes that were at the water. Based on official information, it does not sound like the bloodhounds tracked in any direction away from the bikes, which would suggest to me that the scent could have been on the bikes, but that there was no "oldest to newest" scent leaving the bikes.

FBI Breault: “The scent did lead to the water, which is also where their bikes were found."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_e795f002-d1ad-11e1-b983-001a4bcf887a.html

Yes, absolutely location. Leads me to think the girls were abducted closer to home and not at the lake.

Thanks! Sorry, think this got a bit lost in the last switch-over between threads, but me too. I've been feeling more and more strongly this way.

That is correct. But in addition to that, Mr C also said he was familiar with Elizabeth because she would ride her bike to the end of his street, turn around, and wave at him -- frequently.

I would take Mr C's statement with a grain of salt. I don't think he is lying, I don't think he means any harm, but I wonder if it was really Elizabeth.

Last weekend we were at an event and an older gentlemen approached us, shook my husband's hand said how good it was to see us again and he couldn't believe how much the kids had grown. As soon as he walked away I asked my husband who that was, he had never met him before.

Mistaken identity is pretty easy, especially with little girls in the summer. I don't doubt that Elizabeth had ridden down to the lake once before with her neighbor friends, as I believe it was Aunt Tammy said. But I don't believe she rode down there every day, her parents and grandma would know that. A one time ride that aunt Tammy gave her permission to do, would explain why Tammy knew that Elizabeth had been down there before but the rest of the family didn't.

Jmo, IMO, moo all that

I've always been a bit doubtful that the lawn watering man actually saw Elizabeth. We know from Heather that Elizabeth did not have permission to ride to the lake. Also, the lawn watering man was confused about the time of day that he saw children riding their bikes, stating only that it was sometime between 12:30 and 3 PM (having changed the given times once). We also know that it rained on the morning of July 13, but that the lawn watering man was watering his lawn - which makes me wonder if he has the right day. The easy way to verify that Elizabeth rode her bike on that particular street on a daily basis is to check with neighbors. Other people that lived on the street would be able to easily verify that she was frequently there, and that she frequently stopped to visit with people. I've always wondered why other people on the street have not come forward to validate that Elizabeth rode her bike on that street every day.

I've always been a bit doubtful that the lawn watering man actually saw Elizabeth. We know from Heather that Elizabeth did not have permission to ride to the lake. Also, the lawn watering man was confused about the time of day that he saw children riding their bikes, stating only that it was sometime between 12:30 and 3 PM (having changed the given times once). We also know that it rained on the morning of July 13, but that the lawn watering man was watering his lawn - which makes me wonder if he has the right day. The easy way to verify that Elizabeth rode her bike on that particular street on a daily basis is to check with neighbors. Other people that lived on the street would be able to easily verify that she was frequently there, and that she frequently stopped to visit with people. I've always wondered why other people on the street have not come forward to validate that Elizabeth rode her bike on that street every day.

He originally said 12:30 - 1:30. I believe he was told by LE to change that to a wider window when speaking to the media. I have a reason for believing that, but I can't discuss it without violating TOS. But if my suspect is the killer, I understand why police would want him to think they were looking at a larger window (and thereby, not suspecting him).

I have no reason to discredit Mr. C. We KNOW Elizabeth had ridden there before (Per Tammy), so why couldn't he have seen her on those rides? He didn't say "every day" - he just said "often."

He originally said 12:30 - 1:30. I believe he was told by LE to change that to a wider window when speaking to the media. I have a reason for believing that, but I can't discuss it without violating TOS. But if my suspect is the killer, I understand why police would want him to think they were looking at a larger window (and thereby, not suspecting him).

I have no reason to discredit Mr. C. We KNOW Elizabeth had ridden there before (Per Tammy), so why couldn't he have seen her on those rides? He didn't say "every day" - he just said "often."

I'm with you.

I don't think Mr C nor Mr G are mistaken, I never did.

I think they saw what they said, when they said they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonleblanc061975@gmail.