IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
pulling up my chair. Still here, just nothing to add at the moment.

I wonder what all the rain we're getting in eastern Iowa this year is doing to the island that has gone from heavily forested to not heavily forested.

They loaded fine for me. Thanks so much for posting. :rocker:
Anyone else notice the seating? Higher vs lower........ :fence:

TY Marilynilpa! Pretty small group. I guess I had hoped for a bigger crowd. It didn't seem like the meeting was open to the entire community from the notice I read. Maybe it was implied. :blushing: :moo:

It seems to be a group of supportive volunteers. I'd like to read the minutes. That is if there are any.

Cinder or any locals, does Evansdale have someone who drives a Ice Cream Van around the neighborhoods in the summer selling Ice Cream Cones and Frosty Treats?

Thank you for posting a direct link. I don't know how to do that & figure someone else here would always know how to do it (and hope they wouldn't mind).

Ty, Roses, for this source of news. I logged on today hoping that there would be a report here of how much money was raised by the concert as I was curious.

(Btw, don't be embarrassed by your level of puter skills... I owned a PC for years before I knew how to copy/paste a link... the impt thing imo is that you let us know there was news and you satisfactorily sourced your comments.):rocker:

http://www.kwwl.com/story/22046430/2013/04/22/concert-for-the-angels-raises-initial-total-of-31100

EVANSDALE (KWWL) -
Fundraising efforts from the Concert of the Angels have rounded up more than $31,000 for Angels Park, organizers said Monday.
<snipped>
Sarah Werkmeister notes the total is preliminary, and there are more efforts currently underway.
<snipped>
Werkmeister has an eBay auction with signed band paraphernalia to raise more money for the Angels Park project.
<snipped>

bbm - It sounds to me that the expected proceeds from the sale of the band items will be added to the $31,000. +/- proceeds from the concert. ??

Been following along but not posting. Seems to me the focus has now shifted to the memorial instead of the murders of two little girls .....that is still running free. Shameful that the family is not demanding what the "hey" is going on. I'd like to know if the FBI is still involved and why LE can't release anymore info. Seems to be at a stand still. :(
According to someone late in the last thread, the Feds are still on the case.

Ty M.PA !! This was the other news report I had hoped to find on here today. (Just fyi, all the links opened quickly for me.)

RE: Link #1 - This is the first I knew that community input had been planned for this meeting of the Park Brd and Volunteers (photo caption below) :

The park board meets with the community to discuss the questions and ideas for the Angels Memorial project for Meyers Lake at a meeting Monday, April 22, 2013, in Evansdale, Iowa. (MATTHEW PUTNEY / Courier Photo Editor)

I didn't see this link to the story...

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_f5159aea-a66d-585f-9ee4-cb029e931050.html

it goes with the pictures Marilynilpa posted before the story was written :O)

Thanks, I was hoping an article would follow the pictures!

From the article:

Heather Collins, Elizabeth's mother, said a donor has offered a large bronze fountain, with an estimated worth of $35,000, to be placed on the island.

IMO, that is a very generous donation.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_f5159aea-a66d-585f-9ee4-cb029e931050.html

snipped>Following a brief yelling match between the female resident, who did not identify herself, and volunteers, board member Jeff Dawson said, "If you can't be civil, I'm going to dismiss this meeting right now."

The dissenting resident left the meeting shortly afterward.

Board members seemed pleased with the progress made on the island, which included removing trunks, stumps and roots, filling ruts and ravines and removing silt from the lake, said volunteer Dona Frickson.

"I have seen remarkable movement in the last 30 to 60 days," Dawson said.

:drumroll:

That makes my stomach turn, I don't care if he is the perp or not, befriending a convicted child rapist makes me sick.

The reason I asked if they were in the same congregation is because my parents have a man in their congregation who molested his two step daughters. Nothing was ever done, his wife stayed with him and went on to have 10 kids with him. It is not public knowledge that he molested his step daughters, but his wife told my mom because it caused her much anxiety since she worked full time and he stayed home with the 10 kids 6 of which were girls.

While my parents aren't close friends with them, they are in the same congregation and consider them "friends". So I wonder if they are "friends" in the sense that they are in the same congregation and see each other at church every week and have known each other for years, as opposed to socializing together outside of church on a regular basis.

Does that make sense?

This is completely irrelevant but I just saw this smiley and wanted to use it. :drumroll:

It does make sense to me, and is the same thing I've wondered about. Someone who is more than a mere acquaintance, but not a close intimate of the family.

And I like this new smiley - :scared::scared::scared:

Except he/she looks more confused than scared, kind of like me!

Here's a quote from Heather pertaining to Lizzie's Celebration of Life.

&#8220;I plan a lot of parties for friends and events, but this is the most important one I&#8217;ve ever planned because it is for my daughter, who is no longer with us,&#8221; Heather Collins said.

&#8220;She&#8217;ll be celebrating up in Heaven just as we are celebrating her life down here on Earth,&#8221; she said.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_e83d9eda-457d-11e2-b459-001a4bcf887a.html

BBM

I think this may also be what motivates Heather in planning the memorial. JMO.

Heather Collins said the experience of losing their daughter has strengthened her family’s faith.

“We know God was with them the whole entire time,” she said. “We know where they are now. They’re in a much better place. What happened to them was not from God, it was from the enemy.”

“I don’t know that there ever will be closure,” Drew Collins said, but added it will help once the person who killed his daughter is brought to justice.

“We don’t want this person to be able to hurt anyone else,” he said.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_e83d9eda-457d-11e2-b459-001a4bcf887a.html

Heather talks about God and Drew talks about justice. It's easier for me to relate to his attitude. JMO

From subj link:
EVANSDALE, Iowa --- Volunteers working to create Angels Memorial updated Park and Recreation Board members on their progress during a meeting Monday at Meyers Lake.

About a dozen residents attended the meeting, the majority of whom are actively involved in turning the lake's island into a lasting memorial for Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins, two young cousins who went missing in July 2012 and whose bodies were found about five months later.

Only one resident questioned the volunteers' intentions, calling the current state of the island "an eyesore."

Following a brief yelling match between the female resident, who did not identify herself, and volunteers, board member Jeff Dawson said, "If you can't be civil, I'm going to dismiss this meeting right now."

<snipped>

bbm - wow... so much for wanting public input, imo.

I wonder how many general-community-residents were left after the "dissenting" resident expressed her concerns and then felt the need to leave the meeting early ?? IDK...

I wonder if Wylma still goes to Heather's house every day to clean, like she did before the girls were abducted/killed.

I wonder if Wylma still goes to Heather's house every day to clean, like she did before the girls were abducted/killed.

Now you've got me wondering, too. Gads... if she is still going, how painful must that be, to drive to the Collins' home w/out Lyric and arrive there w/out Elizabeth being there!?! (too sad to think about)

I have, however, wondered if LE has returned the bikes to the families and, if so, what the families did w/the bikes. (Donated to a Santa's workshop type charity perhaps?)

I've also been wondering if Lyric's brother is still living w/his paternal GMA or if he is now at his mother's house.

Heather Collins said the experience of losing their daughter has strengthened her family’s faith.

“We know God was with them the whole entire time,” she said. “We know where they are now. They’re in a much better place. What happened to them was not from God, it was from the enemy.”

“I don’t know that there ever will be closure,” Drew Collins said, but added it will help once the person who killed his daughter is brought to justice.

“We don’t want this person to be able to hurt anyone else,” he said.

Heather talks about God and Drew talks about justice. It's easier for me to relate to his attitude. JMO

I can almost understand Heather's forgiving attitude, I can understand that many people have a bigger heart than me, but the thing that sticks out most for me is that she forgave the killer but not Misty. What could Misty have possibly done that was more hurtful than murdering Elizabeth? It would be one thing if she thought that Misty killed the girls, but that can't be the case if she forgives the killer but not Misty. I just can't wrap my mind around forgiving the evil person who killed my beloved daughter, but not forgiving my own sister whom also lost a child.

I run scenarios through my head of what would prevent me from forgiving one of my siblings. All of them would be pretty serious sins against me/my children.

From subj link:
EVANSDALE, Iowa --- Volunteers working to create Angels Memorial updated Park and Recreation Board members on their progress during a meeting Monday at Meyers Lake.

About a dozen residents attended the meeting, the majority of whom are actively involved in turning the lake's island into a lasting memorial for Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins, two young cousins who went missing in July 2012 and whose bodies were found about five months later.

Only one resident questioned the volunteers' intentions, calling the current state of the island "an eyesore."

Following a brief yelling match between the female resident, who did not identify herself, and volunteers, board member Jeff Dawson said, "If you can't be civil, I'm going to dismiss this meeting right now."

<snipped>

bbm - wow... so much for wanting public input, imo.

I wonder how many general-community-residents were left after the "dissenting" resident expressed her concerns and then felt the need to leave the meeting early ?? IDK...

I have a feeling that the "Tiny Town Crier" has made it very clear that if you aren't going to support this, then don't bother coming at all.

From what I'm seeing, this project is going forward, full steam ahead, no matter whether the rails on the track end abruptly before the final stop.

The more I watch, the more my opinion is changing on this entire thing. I don't think the lack of people showing up to Tony Thompson's meetings mean that people are happy with the investigation. Nor do I think that people not showing up at the memorial project support meetings mean they are happy with how the project is progressing.

In fact, I think they feel the complete opposite. They see this entire incident, investigation, and all the aftermath as a complete nightmare that they can't believe is happening in their own town. <modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther