IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that the "Tiny Town Crier" has made it very clear that if you aren't going to support this, then don't bother coming at all.

From what I'm seeing, this project is going forward, full steam ahead, no matter whether the rails on the track end abruptly before the final stop.

The more I watch, the more my opinion is changing on this entire thing. I don't think the lack of people showing up to Tony Thompson's meetings mean that people are happy with the investigation. Nor do I think that people not showing up at the memorial project support meetings mean they are happy with how the project is progressing.

In fact, I think they feel the complete opposite. They see this entire incident, investigation, and all the aftermath as a complete nightmare that they can't believe is happening in their own town. <modsnip>

I see your point. But I also think if so many people are against this, then where are they? Somewhere - was it on the Courier's website - I saw that there was going to be a meeting regarding the park. Since I am not a resident of Evansdale, I didn't think it would be my place to show up. I'm very curious to know who this "unidentified woman" was.

I see your point. But I also think if so many people are against this, then where are they? Somewhere - was it on the Courier's website - I saw that there was going to be a meeting regarding the park. Since I am not a resident of Evansdale, I didn't think it would be my place to show up. I'm very curious to know who this "unidentified woman" was.

I wonder where cinder was last night!:floorlaugh:

I have a feeling that the "Tiny Town Crier" has made it very clear that if you aren't going to support this, then don't bother coming at all.

From what I'm seeing, this project is going forward, full steam ahead, no matter whether the rails on the track end abruptly before the final stop.

The more I watch, the more my opinion is changing on this entire thing. I don't think the lack of people showing up to Tony Thompson's meetings mean that people are happy with the investigation. Nor do I think that people not showing up at the memorial project support meetings mean they are happy with how the project is progressing.

In fact, I think they feel the complete opposite. They see this entire incident, investigation, and all the aftermath as a complete nightmare that they can't believe is happening in their own town. <modsnip>.

Thank you for giving me a reason to use this cool new smiley - :rockon:

The fact that they ran her out because she objected simply shows the lack of maturity by the people running this project. I HIGHLY doubt this person came in yelling and screaming. Chances are, she started to speak of her concerns about the project, and was immediately told "if you aren't here to support it, then leave" and that is when the yelling began.

She simply stated her concern that the island is an eyesore. Does that really deserve being ran out of the park?

We drove by Meyer's Lake today on our way to a funeral. We didn't get a chance to stop due to timing and the fact that it is very cold and windy today.

I can tell you, it's devastating. The very few trees that remain certainly don't do a lot to contributing to what was once there. It looks SO different. They do have all the vegetation cut down along the back sides of the fence though...it's all open now.

Hopefully one day soon I can get up there and take a look around. I've actually never been there, other than driving by.

What I CAN tell you, is that the road work that was going on last summer is still going on...and when we drove through there today, the fastest we were going was 40. I could see the bike trail very clearly today...but we also know the vegetation covered that area last summer. :(

That's kind of my point. Where are these people? Everywhere...they just know that there is nothing that's going to stop this project. There is wayyyyy too much money and "ups" in the town who are involved for their voices to make a difference. Look at it this way...if this towns park can be completely renovated at zero cost to the city and would potentially bring in $ to the city down the road, they certainly aren't going to stand in their way. This is a HUGE renovation, at no cost to them (so far anyway).

I wonder what all the rain we're getting in eastern Iowa this year is doing to the island that has gone from heavily forested to not heavily forested.

Picture I took yesterday: 2013-04-22 14.19.38.jpg Sorry it won't give good resolution on here but the island.is basically completely stripped and looks like a tornado hit it. I only saw a handful of trees from my truck. :(

bbm - Yes, please do post the link.

Isn't it wonderful how many useful contacts the project volunteers just happen to have in their personal lives!?!

Here ya go;

snip> Eric Taylor, the band’s bassist, is engaged to Werkmeister. “I’ve been living here for almost two years, and it just hit home,”

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_447e196c-aa29-11e2-99ed-001a4bcf887a.html

:drumroll:

An online auction Werkmeister put together in conjunction with the concert featuring music memorabilia is ongoing and can be found at www.angelsconcert.com.

Additionally, T-shirts created for the concert by Onyx Cross Clothing are still available. Examples of the shirts are available for viewing on the company's Facebook page and orders will be taken as long as there is a demand. The shirts, black with white angel wings and a bible verse, are $20 a piece. All proceeds go to the memorial. While the company's website is under construction, requests for the shirts should be sent to www.onyxcrossclothing@gmail.com.

:seeya: Hi there stranger! The island looks bleak. :twocents:

Hi back, Boots! Yes it looks awful. Ill keep taking pictures everytme I get groceries at Faraway only this time I'll get out of my truck and get closer. I wish they would provide a drawing of what they are planning. I don't understand why they stripped the island so bare? I was so sad looking at all the trees gone just like the girls....gone. :(

:seeya: Hi there stranger! The island looks bleak. :twocents:

Hi back, Boots! Yes it looks awful. Ill keep taking pictures everytme I get groceries at Fareway only this time I'll get out of my truck and get closer. I wish they would provide a drawing of what they are planning. I don't understand why they stripped the island so bare? I was so sad looking at all the trees gone just like the girls....gone. :(

We drove by Meyer's Lake today on our way to a funeral. We didn't get a chance to stop due to timing and the fact that it is very cold and windy today.

I can tell you, it's devastating. The very few trees that remain certainly don't do a lot to contributing to what was once there. It looks SO different. They do have all the vegetation cut down along the back sides of the fence though...it's all open now.

Hopefully one day soon I can get up there and take a look around. I've actually never been there, other than driving by.

What I CAN tell you, is that the road work that was going on last summer is still going on...and when we drove through there today, the fastest we were going was 40. I could see the bike trail very clearly today...but we also know the vegetation covered that area last summer. :(

The road work is not going to be 24/7 like it was last year, so its gonna be a LONG summer.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I can almost understand Heather's forgiving attitude, I can understand that many people have a bigger heart than me, but the thing that sticks out most for me is that she forgave the killer but not Misty. What could Misty have possibly done that was more hurtful than murdering Elizabeth? It would be one thing if she thought that Misty killed the girls, but that can't be the case if she forgives the killer but not Misty. I just can't wrap my mind around forgiving the evil person who killed my beloved daughter, but not forgiving my own sister whom also lost a child.

I run scenarios through my head of what would prevent me from forgiving one of my siblings. All of them would be pretty serious sins against me/my children.

If it was me, I'd be bawling my eyes out. But, I'm emotional.
I cried today about an issue regarding my co-workers daughter because it was an injustice, nothing nearly as severe. It involved an ethics issue at college. I suppose I'm like a Mama Bear protecting the young.

I have a very dear friend who is 88 years young, her daughter was having a bad time and she needed to get there. She called me to ask for a ride to Amtrak station to get to her daughter. I obliged. I told her at that time; (jokingly) "We are "Moms",we are like The Marines". :rockon:

IMO... I'm wondering if the recording secretary attended the same "special meeting" as the media reporter?

[Note: Bolding below was not added by me on purpose, but rather a result of my copy/paste to a word program. fox]

filecabinet.gif

April 22, 2013 Special Minutes

Evansdale Park & Recreation Commission Meeting
Meyers Lake/Angels Park - Monday, April 22, 2013

<snipped>
Angels Memorial Update: Island prep is progressing well. Preliminary Concert profits of $31,000 and other funds already collected for a total of $48,000.

Curtis DeGrotte: He started the Angels Facebook Page. He has approx. 50 or so volunteers coming to do work on the island May 10th weather permitting. Seeding of banks on island. Harmony House had tons of perenials to donate.

Fence: Will be putting up a snow fence so that public will not be able to walk over to island until work has been finished.

Shelter will be 24 x 40 and Gazebos 12 ft.

Water, electricity and sewer supplies have been ordered by Rod Frickson.

Trees have been donated by 3 area businesses and will be planted perhaps late summer or early fall.
<snipped>

I wasn't there. I'm suffering a sinus infection that has made up residence and doesn't know when to leave.

I'm so sorry cinder! I suffer from sinus allergies and have had several sinus infections. Not one bit fun! I use a netti-pot now! Never thought I could use one, but I mix it with a little packet of saline and flush out out my sinuses. Plus I take my Allegra D that I used to get a Rx for, but now I can't because so many people use it to make meth that I have to stand in line to buy it now and it really makes me mad! Take it easy cinder. Drink lots of fluid. Steamy showers. Rest! Take care my friend! Sinus infections suck! :moo:

Hi back, Boots! Yes it looks awful. Ill keep taking pictures everytme I get groceries at Faraway only this time I'll get out of my truck and get closer. I wish they would provide a drawing of what they are planning. I don't understand why they stripped the island so bare? I was so sad looking at all the trees gone just like the girls....gone. :(

On the previous thread, otto provided us with some great renderings of what the island will look like. I don't know how to move posts over, so I can't link it here - sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa