IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps someone else that owns an SUV would like to check their vehicle registration to see how the vehicle is described ... and then confirm that an SUV is listed as a Station Wagon In my case, my Honda CRV, an SUV, is described as a Station Wagon.

I am in Canada. I would personally describe your Honda as a SUV, but never thought of it as a station wagon, maybe because of my age. I think of a station wagon being like the one in the Brady Bunch, probably because growing up in the 60's so many of our relatives and neighbours had a long, low station wagon, usually full of kids and dogs.

The older folks I know do not use the term SUV, but they describe them as being like a pickup with a same-coloured canopy but boxier. I know what they mean, but it could be puzzling for someone from away. Like I had to think when I read the term on here 'topper'. A truck with a topper. Then I realized what was meant is what I know as a 'canopy'. A topper that covers the back bed of a pickup truck that is removable.

I've had people from England here refer to all kinds of vehicles, aside from cars, as 'lorries'. I'm still confused how big a vehicle I know as a 'van' has to be to be considered a 'lorry'.

It really does show where you were raised and now live can be very confusing as to the terms for different vehicles. What I appreciate here is folks describe what the vehicle looks like, so no matter name we think of it as, we can picture it in our minds.

I am in Canada. I would personally describe your Honda as a SUV, but never thought of it as a station wagon, maybe because of my age. I think of a station wagon being like the one in the Brady Bunch, probably because growing up in the 60's so many of our relatives and neighbours had a long, low station wagon, usually full of kids and dogs.

The older folks I know do not use the term SUV, but they describe them as being like a pickup with a same-coloured canopy but boxier. I know what they mean, but it could be puzzling for someone from away. Like I had to think when I read the term on here 'topper'. A truck with a topper. Then I realized what was meant is what I know as a 'canopy'. A topper that covers the back bed of a pickup truck that is removable.

I've had people from England here refer to all kinds of vehicles, aside from cars, as 'lorries'. I'm still confused how big a vehicle I know as a 'van' has to be to be considered a 'lorry'.

It really does show where you were raised and now live can be very confusing as to the terms for different vehicles. What I appreciate here is folks describe what the vehicle looks like, so no matter name we think of it as, we can picture it in our minds.

If you know someone with a SUV, maybe you can ask that person to check whether the vehicle description is: station wagon. The station wagon is gone, the SUV arrived. A van typically has a flat front end and an SUV has a nose, like a truck, except it's not a truck because it is like a car inside ... but not entirely like a car, because the spare is behind the back seat - like a station wagon.

The usage defines the name, also.

A "lorry" is a vehicle that moves goods as opposed to people, with a flat tray at rear.

It usually only has a single cabin. We call them "trucks" here.

An SUV would be called an "off road" here, or maybe a fourbee (short for four by four).

A ute is a ute, a half breed between a truck and a car, with a tray to the back. IIRC Aussies invented them.

So we have here, trucks, big rigs, fourbees, rav4s, pajeros, jeeps, etc.

A van is a van, or sometimes a "transit van".

A van is single cabin with a covered tray area behind, with proper doors and sometimes windows.

A "people mover" is a large passenger vehicle, could also be called a "van" as it resembles one from the outside.

Phew.

What's clear is, not too much can be read into the use of SUV vs VAN by the witnesses, which is probably why the actual description has been used (a white, boxy vehicle).

Wylma comes from an era when there were no SUVs, so she's highly unlikely to use that language.

Just like an Australian.

:cow:

If you know someone with a SUV you can ask that person to check whether the vehicle description is: station wagon. The station wagon is gone, the SUV arrived.

Station wagons were solely for on road use.

An SUV is also called an "ATV" - an All Terrain Vehicle.

Meaning, it's meant to go off road, meaning, a 4wd.

If you know someone with a SUV you can ask that person to check whether the vehicle description is: station wagon. The station wagon is gone, the SUV arrived.

A station wagon is low and long........
SUV is Higher and more sleek, (for lack of better term)
A van, IMHO is a van

A station wagon is low and long........
SUV is Higher and more sleek, (for lack of better term)
A van, IMHO is a van

No one needs to take my word for it, but surely someone knows someone with a SUV that can check whether it is defined as a station wagon rather than a van.

In terms of ensuring that people are looking for the right vehicle, it seems like an important distinction.

Anyway back to topic -

Yes LE did ask about a "white van" seen at Caseys.

They located this white van.

I personally believe they are looking for another van/suv/boxlike vehicle which is white.

The noun varies because the language of the people who saw it varied.

It's still the same vehicle...or maybe there is a van (located) AND an suv type vehicle, which were following each other on the highway or something.

White is the most common car colour after all, especially for "work" type vehicles such as vans, trucks, lorries, utes, etc. They're everywhere, so virtually anonymous.

I think the perp knows this and located one specifically for that reason - maybe even stole one.

Anyway back to topic -

Yes LE did ask about a "white van" seen at Caseys.

They located this white van.

I personally believe they are looking for another van/suv/boxlike vehicle which is white.

The noun varies because the language of the people who saw it varied.

It's still the same vehicle...or maybe there is a van (located) AND an suv type vehicle, which were following each other on the highway or something.

White is the most common car colour after all, especially for "work" type vehicles such as vans, trucks, lorries, utes, etc. They're everywhere, so virtually anonymous.

I think the perp knows this and located one specifically for that reason - maybe even stole one.

I think that the distinction is important, especially for people that live in the area. For people that live in other countries, it really doesn't matter what it is called.

"Smock said the SUV sightings are different from reports of a white vehicle tied to an attempted abduction in Cedar Rapids. In that case, the vehicle was described as a white van.

“This is an SUV, a large SUV,” Smock said. “It has been described as an older model Chevy Suburban, — but we don’t know that for sure — boxy and definitely full sized.”

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_bc5363a2-dcf1-11e2-be6a-001a4bcf887a.html

... Perhaps something like this:

http://www.motorstown.com/images/chevrolet-suburban-7.4-03.jpg

No one needs to take my word for it, but surely someone knows someone with a SUV that can check whether it is defined as a station wagon rather than a van.

In terms of ensuring that people are looking for the right vehicle, it seems like an important distinction.

I belong to a local question and answer site, and there are lots of SUV's of all sizes, ages, prices, and descriptions around this area. I will put out the question, asking if they can look on their registration papers, if anywhere their vehicle is described as a station wagon. I am curious too.

I think that the distinction is important, especially for people that live in the area. For people that live in other countries, it really doesn't matter what it is called.

"Smock said the SUV sightings are different from reports of a white vehicle tied to an attempted abduction in Cedar Rapids. In that case, the vehicle was described as a white van.

“This is an SUV, a large SUV,” Smock said. “It has been described as an older model Chevy Suburban, — but we don’t know that for sure — boxy and definitely full sized.”

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_bc5363a2-dcf1-11e2-be6a-001a4bcf887a.html

... Perhaps something like this:

http://www.motorstown.com/images/chevrolet-suburban-7.4-03.jpg

Following that logic, it really doesn't matter what the older age group calls them either.

Someone in their 70s, such as Wylma, is extremely unlikely to use the word "suv" unless of course she owns one.

The picture you provided is what is called a "ute" here - or, utility vehicle. Passengers in front, either single or double cab, flat tray at rear.

Covered or not, regardless...a "ute" is all about the shape of the vehicle. The photo provided is neither an SUV nor a 4wd NOR a van or a truck, at least here. You guys may call it a "pickup"?

I have mentioned before that I know of many vehicles that are homemade hybrids. Someone has got a car and welded a tray on it and called it a "ute". It's actually how they got invented in the first place.

Homemade/altered vehicles are relatively common around here. Maybe the perp had a homemade mess which was tacked together from a van and a car. It would explain the lack of certainty by eyewitnesses.

Following that logic, it really doesn't matter what the older age group calls them either.

Someone in their 70s, such as Wylma, is extremely unlikely to use the word "suv" unless of course she owns one.

The picture you provided is what is called a "ute" here - or, utility vehicle. Passengers in front, either single or double cab, flat tray at rear.

Covered or not, regardless...a "ute" is all about the shape of the vehicle. The photo provided is neither an SUV nor a 4wd NOR a van or a truck, at least here. You guys may call it a "pickup"?

I have mentioned before that I know of many vehicles that are homemade hybrids. Someone has got a car and welded a tray on it and called it a "ute". It's actually how they got invented in the first place.

Homemade/altered vehicles are relatively common around here. Maybe the perp had a homemade mess which was tacked together from a van and a car. It would explain the lack of certainty by eyewitnesses.

The witness statements seem fairly clear: a SUV, older model, boxy, white, perhaps a chev

The witness statements seem fairly clear: a SUV, older model, boxy, white, perhaps a chev

The witness statements some have spent months on discounting/sleuthing/rejecting as "mistaken"?

Personally I have no problem at all with envisioning the sort of vehicle described, as I am NOT a "car person".

They are either big or little, white or blue, trucks or utes or vans or cars.

I wouldn't know a make or model if it was signposted.

The witness statements some have spent months on discounting/sleuthing/rejecting as "mistaken"?

Personally I have no problem at all with envisioning the sort of vehicle described, as I am NOT a "car person".

They are either big or little, white or blue, trucks or utes or vans or cars.

I wouldn't know a make or model if it was signposted.

Statements issued by police shouldn't really be open for discussion. Police statements help to keep the facts separate from claims made by interested parties. I posted the quote from the police describing the vehicle up-thread, and the officer seems to want to keep it clear that they are not looking for a van, but rather it is an older, boxy, SUV type of vehicle.

Here are a couple pics as well of older Ford Bronco's. IMO these could easily be mistaken for a Chevy Suburban from a distance. :truce:

Attachments

• bronco.jpg
    bronco.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 15
  • bronco 2.jpg
    bronco 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 15

Otto you are correct, we own a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and it is listed as a station wagon with the DMV that is how it is registered.

Statements issued by police shouldn't really be open for discussion. Police statements help to keep the facts separate from claims made by interested parties. I posted the quote from the police describing the vehicle up-thread, and the officer seems to want to keep it clear that they are not looking for a van, but rather it is an older, boxy, SUV type of vehicle.

Oh ok, may as well close the whole site down then.

I thought one of the FEW things we are safe to discuss on this thread is what LE said. Seems I'm wrong.

Oh ok, may as well close the whole site down then.

I thought one of the FEW things we are safe to discuss on this thread is what LE said. Seems I'm wrong.

Perhaps I was misunderstood. What I mean is that police statements should be taken as facts of the case. Perhaps I should have stated that they are not really open for debate.

Police are looking for a SUV, not a van. A SUV is not a van, but is described as a station wagon on vehicle registration papers.

Check out the girl's fb page. See who was arrested. JC. Also, there's a missing/runaway, 15 year old from Waterloo posted there too. She was or is Dan's son's girlfriend. Hope this is okay.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272135809553049/#_=_

I'm not a member of that group any longer...it got a little out of hand for me so I dropped out.

Is this missing girl the same girl I posted earlier today? Tabitha Conrad?

Perhaps I was misunderstood. What I mean is that police statements should be taken as facts of the case. Perhaps I should have stated that they are not really open for debate.

Police are looking for a SUV, not a van. A SUV is not a van, but is described as a station wagon on vehicle registration papers.

:shakehead:

I seem to recall certain eyewitnesses being written off as "mistaken" or just plain "wrong", despite LE confirming the alleged sightings in a "statement".

Some folks even started sleuthing them...

Sometimes, LE are wrong too.

Look at Jonbenet. Where would that case be if everyone just sucked the official LE statements up, unquestioningly?

She wouldn't still be an open and active topic on WS, that's for sure.

:moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member