GUILTY IA - Evelyn Miller, 5, Charles City, 1 July 2005

The mother of a missing 5-year-old Floyd girl claimed Saturday that the youngster had been abducted from her apartment.

"The door was open when I got home from work at 6:19 a.m.," said Noel Miller, 22. "I'm figuring they grabbed her and just walked out with her and didn't close the door behind them.

In a news release Saturday, Floyd County sheriff's officials made no mention of an abduction and related that the search involved a missing or lost child.

But Sheriff Rick Lynch said later in an interview: "This is a very troubling, very puzzling disappearance. We are not classifying it other than the fact that there's a child we can't find.

"We're interviewing everybody we possibly can."

Miller, a nursing assistant at the Nora Springs Care Center, said two men, whom she said she knows, had been to the apartment early Friday.

She said investigators for four hours questioned her fiance, Casey Fredericksen, 26, who lives in the apartment with her two other children. Miller said Fredericksen was asleep and heard nothing.

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050703/NEWS08/507030328/1001/archive

As a massive search resumed on Saturday for 5-year-old Evelyn Miller, 10 investigators from the Department of Criminal Investigation were interviewing anyone connected with the small child, including those living in her apartment building, said Sheriff Rick Lynch.

"We need to rule everyone out," he said at noon Saturday. "Right now, we have no clue what happened to her."

Lynch said unless the girl was found through other means, the search would continue through the weekend.

"We aren't anywhere near considering an end to this search," he said Saturday morning.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/07/03/news/top_story/26454382c4fd393a86257033000ac30c.txt

What am I missing here? Why is this precious child not making the headlines? I have been watching Fox, CNN and MSNBC waiting to hear about her and all I hear about is Shasta. Believe me, I'm overjoyed that Shasta has been found alive and continue to pray for Dylan. I've watched the Denny's waitress (horay for her!) tell her story for the 10th time, maybe one of these stations could break in for a brief moment about Evelyn and show her picture in case someone has seen her. This little girl, among others, desperately needs to be found.

kahskye said:
What am I missing here? Why is this precious child not making the headlines? I have been watching Fox, CNN and MSNBC waiting to hear about her and all I hear about is Shasta. Believe me, I'm overjoyed that Shasta has been found alive and continue to pray for Dylan. I've watched the Denny's waitress (horay for her!) tell her story for the 10th time, maybe one of these stations could break in for a brief moment about Evelyn and show her picture in case someone has seen her. This little girl, among others, desperately needs to be found.
I was surprised, I did actually catch a brief coverage of her, nothing really and I do not know which network, I think MSNBC.

I am shocked too, but then I am not. It is so hard to get the news to pay attention.
I have tried with other kids in local small markets that really have very little substance on their nightly news.

An example. The lead story for the nightly news was about litter close to the courthouse in the downtown. They were like, "stay tuned to see how channel five on your side got results!"

I was pinned to me seat!!!!! HMMM What could they have done? Possibly call a garbage truck.

This is a small time station that did not have time to cover a missing girl in their own backyard.

Garbage a leading story! Go figure.

Sadly, I can think of several things, two relating to missing people- Natalee Holloway and Shasta (and Dylan) Groene. The third is the retirement of SCJ O'Connor.

There have been a high number of missing and murdered children this year by sexual predators- Jessica Lunsford, the other girl in Florida (sorry, I can't remember her name) and Jetsetta Gage. It boggles the mind how fast and furious this keeps happening, and little Matal's death discovered yesterday. I mean no disrespect to any child or his/her family, but it's mind-numbing.

Sarah Lunde

Yes Matel's case is a very sad one. These events do grip and some more than others. I hope they do not have a numbing affect on people.

nvfc said:
I was surprised, I did actually catch a brief coverage of her, nothing really and I do not know which network, I think MSNBC.

I am shocked too, but then I am not. It is so hard to get the news to pay attention.
I have tried with other kids in local small markets that really have very little substance on their nightly news.

An example. The lead story for the nightly news was about litter close to the courthouse in the downtown. They were like, "stay tuned to see how channel five on your side got results!"

I was pinned to me seat!!!!! HMMM What could they have done? Possibly call a garbage truck.

This is a small time station that did not have time to cover a missing girl in their own backyard.

Garbage a leading story! Go figure.

Edited

What will it take to get them on the news? Lots of individuals writing, calling and emailing the stations to request that they start including more of this info in their news programs. They broadcast what they think will appeal to the greatest number of people. And they broadcast a variety in order to get the ratings they need. Therefore, it will take a public demand to get them to broadcast more about missing people.
I sent an email to my local news programs asking that when they need a human interest story, that maybe they could highlight one of the missing in my area. I included links to DOE and a couple of other websites. They didn't respond of course, but maybe they will think of my email the next time they need a "filler".

nvfc said:
Sarah Lunde

Yes Matel's case is a very sad one. These events do grip and some more than others. I hope they do not have a numbing affect on people.
Thank you- Sarah Lunde.

Authorities in Floyd County on Sunday asked for more volunteers as they widened the search for a 5-year-old girl who disappeared three days ago while her mother was at work.

Nearly 400 law enforcement officials and volunteers, including two consultants from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Alexandria, Va., were in Floyd on Sunday to look for Evelyn Miller.

Noel Miller told police that when she left for work her daughter was asleep in a room with two other children, ages 1 and 2, in an apartment they share with her fiance. Authorities on Sunday said the fiance, Casey Fredericksen , 26, passed a lie-detector test after he was questioned for about four hours.

As of late Sunday, authorities had not classified the disappearance as an abduction, but the girl's mother has said she feared the 5-year-old was kidnapped.

She told The Des Moines Register that two male acquaintances had been at the apartment early Friday morning. She did not identify the men. No arrests have been made, and Miller could not be reached for comment Sunday.

"That's just speculation on the part of a mother who is desperate to find her daughter," family spokesperson Brandi Hoffmann said.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050704/NEWS08/507040346/1001

lady-eowyn said:
I can't believe we are not hearing more about this little girl authorities resumed the search at 7::(
Authorities were to resume the search this AM at 7:30 but the weather at least in Southern Iowa stinks. Searchers have been out on ATV's and on horseback but have found anything yet. Divers have searched a nearby Quarry. Boats and kayaks have trolled the Cedar River. Two consultants have come from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
The Floyd County authorities did contact officials in Des Moines once the child was missing but did not issue an Amber Alert because there is no known suspect or vehicle involved. The last child abducted from her home was taken by a family friend who had visited at her aunt and uncle's house the eveninmg before. I can't remember her name but the abduction took place in Southeastern Iowa around 6-8 years ago. I'd be checking those friends out.
I'm a pediatrician in Iowa and these crimes against children are making me lnuts.
I've spent my entire life devoted to children-kid's are loving , trusting , and terrific. We need to protect them!:innocent:

dr dona said:
Authorities were to resume the search this AM at 7:30 but the weather at least in Southern Iowa stinks. Searchers have been out on ATV's and on horseback but have found anything yet. Divers have searched a nearby Quarry. Boats and kayaks have trolled the Cedar River. Two consultants have come from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
The Floyd County authorities did contact officials in Des Moines once the child was missing but did not issue an Amber Alert because there is no known suspect or vehicle involved. The last child abducted from her home was taken by a family friend who had visited at her aunt and uncle's house the eveninmg before. I can't remember her name but the abduction took place in Southeastern Iowa around 6-8 years ago. I'd be checking those friends out.
I'm a pediatrician in Iowa and these crimes against children are making me lnuts.
I've spent my entire life devoted to children-kid's are loving , trusting , and terrific. We need to protect them!:innocent:

Thank you so much for the update. Evelyn has been in my prayers and will continue to be. All children are so precious and Evelyn is just adorable!!

dr dona said:

welgroup.gif

I hope you stick around, you sound like you will fit right in with the rest of us.

Am I the only person here who thinks it is odd to be having visitors arrive at 2:00 am? Maybe there is not more coverage because they have a good idea of who did this and need to keep it quiet until they have enough to arrest them. It did say their focus was around the home. Grrrrrrrr..................!

Sheromom said:
Am I the only person here who thinks it is odd to be having visitors arrive at 2:00 am? Maybe there is not more coverage because they have a good idea of who did this and need to keep it quiet until they have enough to arrest them. It did say their focus was around the home. Grrrrrrrr..................!

Well they did interview the boyfriend for quite a while I guess, but then he passed the lie detector. Mom was talking about the 2 guys who were there in one of the articles, but then a family friend said something to the effect of you have to remember that this is coming from a distraught mother whose child is missing. I wondered if maybe LE hadn't warned her not to discuss the two men.

Sheromom said:
No I also find it odd and have since the beginning.

Please visit our site and e-mail her information to anyone anywhere.

http://nvfc.us/content/view/387/55/

New Details Merge in Missing Girl Case

Anthony Welsch
KIMT - NewsChannel 3
Monday, July 4, 2005

Police have been searching with hundreds of volunteers ever since in hopes of bringing her home. They say they have no idea what happened to the little that night. This morning, they were back in the fields and ditches.

But today there may have been a break in the case. As those volunteers combed the corn fields with no clue in sight--- Police searched an apartment in Charles City that may contain answers as to what exactly happened to little Evelyn Miller.

As it seems with everything, there's two sides to this search story...

Rick Lynch, the Floyd County Sheriff tells KIMT Newschannel 3, "There's 2 operations going on right now. One is the search and rescue part of it. The other is the law enforcement side of it."

And while the search and rescue side doesn't appear to be going anywhere...

"We've already done a five mile radius and now they're pushing out and going farther from that area," Lynch said.

Police may have a lead in the law enforcement side of it.

"We have executed a search warrant at 311 1/2 9th Avenue here in Charles City as part of our investigation," Lynch said.

Police were have been at this home since about 10-o-clock last night.

While they've remained pretty tight lipped about what they've found... any clues could lead to the big break they're looking for.

"We're hoping through the investigation that a little bit here, a little bit there is gonna get the agents in the right direction, he said."

Police don't have anyone in custody yet. They won't say what it is they're looking for inside the home, or how much longer police will search for the girl.

"Right now we're not discussing when are we gonna scale down, when are we gonna call it off, he said"

In fact, the search will continue tomorrow morning. Officials are still looking for volunteers to meet at the Floyd Community Center around 7:30AM. If you want to help you have to be 18 and have identification with you.

http://www.kimt.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=KIMT/MGArticle/IMT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031783649313&path=

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back