GUILTY IA - Evelyn Miller, 5, Charles City, 1 July 2005

Sheromom said:
Am I the only person here who thinks it is odd to be having visitors arrive at 2:00 am? Maybe there is not more coverage because they have a good idea of who did this and need to keep it quiet until they have enough to arrest them. It did say their focus was around the home. Grrrrrrrr..................!
Yes Shero it is kind of odd esp. since there is 3 small children. Kids need to be put to bed in their safe warm bed with the front doors locked and no riff raff coming through at 2am to see them sleeping on the couch. I know quite a few who just let their kids sleep where ever they fall. And honestly like what would anyone need to be coming over at 2am for anyway? Again if it wouldnt be for websleuths I would of never even heard about this missing girl. I havent seen anything on the news yet. God Bless her I hope she is found safe and soon poor baby

So who's home is it that they are searching? Who lives at that address?

It is the home of the 2 early morning visitors. Just found this. I hope to goodness they have not done anything to her. What is WRONG with people???? :furious:

http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2005/07/05/local/doc42ca1b7f13cc1783406098.txt

FLOYD — As the search continued Monday for 5-year-old Evelyn Miller of rural Floyd, the criminal investigation into the case appeared to be heating up.

Authorities executed a search warrant at 311½ 9th Ave. in Charles City Monday afternoon.

Floyd County Sheriff Rick Lynch said three people live at that residence — Randy Patrie, Dan Slick and Marge Maser.
Lynch said Patrie and Slick were apparently the last people to see Evelyn just a few hours before her mother, Noel Miller, discovered she was missing early Friday morning.

The two men are friends of Miller's fiance, Casey Frederiksen, according to Lynch, and said they saw Evelyn asleep on a love seat in the family's apartment when they stopped by to visit Frederiksen at 2 or 2:30 a.m. Friday.

Both men have been interviewed by law enforcement officials. Neither had been taken into custody as of late Monday evening.

The Associated Press reported Sunday that authorities said Frederiksen, 26, passed a lie-detector test after he was questioned for about four hours.

Lynch wouldn't say what the search warrant for the Charles City residence was for or what was found, although investigators could be seen removing several brown bags and a plastic garbage bag of items from the home.

"That's just part of our investigation," Lynch said.

A car also was searched at the Floyd County Courthouse on Monday as part of the investigation, Lynch said. However, he declined to give details about the owner of the vehicle, where it came from or what was found.

Evelyn was not in her family's apartment about two miles south of Floyd on Quarry Road (county road T44) when her mother returned home from her job at the Nora Springs Care Center at about 6:20 a.m. Friday.

Frederiksen has stated he and Miller's two other children, Gabriel, 2, and Damian, 1, were asleep in the apartment when Miller returned home and discovered her daughter was missing.

More than 200 volunteers continued to search for the girl on Monday.

The search has expanded from the 5-mile radius previously established around the apartment complex.

"They are pushing out farther and farther," Lynch said.

Foot patrol, ATVs, horses, kayaks and boats were used again to search ditches, bridges, waterways and fields.

Lynch said the number of searchers was down from the more than 300 people who combed the area Sunday, possibly due to the Fourth of July holiday and fatigue.

"I think people are getting tired," Lynch said.

The last search team for the day went out at 2 p.m. Monday. Lynch said the search would resume at 7:30 a.m. today.

Volunteers who want to join the search are asked to come to the Floyd Community Center. They must be at least 18 years old, have photo identification and wear a brightly colored shirt.

Lynch didn't know how long the search would continue.

"It's really not something you can plan," he said. "It's minute by minute."

But he said the search would continue today even if only 50 volunteers show up.

The FBI, the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children are assisting with the case, Lynch said.

Candy Peck of Charles City, a friend of the Miller family, said her daughter used to babysit Evelyn.

The little girl was swinging in Peck's hammock swing the evening before she became missing.

"I can't imagine what she (Noel) is going through," Peck said.

Anyone who has any information about the case should contact the Floyd County Sheriff's Department at (641) 228-1821.

Lynch said people should be sure they have specific information before they call because resources are limited and each tip can take half an hour to an hour to verify.

No Shero...you are not the only one who finds that strange...unless they have a partying/druggie lifestyle I would find it highly unusual.

But I want to know who made the police aware that they were the last ones to see her? Did they volunteer this info? If they did something to the girl and then volunteered that they were at the apartment at 2 it's pretty stupid IMO (but I like stupid criminals...they make the LE job easier) I can't help but wonder if both of them came to the door at 2 (for what ever reason...) and the girl answered the door telling them that stepfather is asleep. The two leave and one of them come back later and takes the girl. Then when she is reported missing the other one tells police that they were there not knowing that the second one had done anything.

Frederiksen has stated he and Miller's two other children, Gabriel, 2, and Damian, 1, were asleep in the apartment when Miller returned home and discovered her daughter was missing.

Is Frederikson also Evelyn's father?? Do we know he is not?

englishleigh said:

Is Frederikson also Evelyn's father?? Do we know he is not?

Casey Fredericksen is the mother's fiance. Not Evlyn's father.

Just found this thread...thank you for starting it!

My first thought when reading is it sounds like LE knows exactly what happened and his just trying to find the evidence to prove it. Why else would they don't side with caution and go with the media to get this girl's picture out? They are letting the search and rescue continue just in case they are wrong, but imo, I think they know exactly what happened. Poor girl. I am having such a hard time signing in at WS and reading all of this. Every time you turn around there is some rotten human being causing pain and horror to our children!!!

ewwwinteresting said:
Just found this thread...thank you for starting it!

My first thought when reading is it sounds like LE knows exactly what happened and his just trying to find the evidence to prove it. Why else would they don't side with caution and go with the media to get this girl's picture out? They are letting the search and rescue continue just in case they are wrong, but imo, I think they know exactly what happened. Poor girl. I am having such a hard time signing in at WS and reading all of this. Every time you turn around there is some rotten human being causing pain and horror to our children!!!

I disagree. I have contacted the Sheriff's office and found them to be very straightforward. Basically everything out there is all there is. Cases are hard to get picked up by local news let alone national.

I pray that a safe outcome is instore for Elizabeth however that house that has been mentioed earlier is a crime scene, what that means we just do not know yet.

News conference at 3 p.m. regarding disappearance of missing girl

Posted online: Tuesday, July 5, 2005

FLOYD — A news conference will be held at 3 this afternoon at the Floyd Community Center regarding the disappearance of 5-year-old Evelyn Miller in Floyd, according to the Floyd County Sheriff's Department.

Evelyn was reported missing last Friday from the Quarry Road Apartments near Floyd. An intense search has yielded no trace of the little girl.

Authorities executed a search warrant at 311½ 9th Ave. in Charles City Monday afternoon. Randy Patrie, Dan Slick and Marge Maser live at the residence. Patrie and Slick were believed to be the last people to see Evelyn alive.

Evelyn was reported missing at 6:20 a.m. Friday, when her mother, Noel Miller, returned home from her job at the Nora Springs Care Center. She said the apartment door was ajar and Evelyn was gone. Miller's fiancé, Casey Frederiksen, was asleep in the apartment with Miller's two children. He has said did not know Patrie and Slick had been at the apartment, located two mile south of Floyd on Quarry Road.

Hundreds of volunteers combed area fields throughout the holiday weekend, utilizing ground, water and air searches.

Family members have maintained throughout the weekend that Evelyn was abducted and would not have left the apartment building on her own.

http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2005/07/05/latest_news/doc42cada6120c36035924381.txt

lady-eowyn said:
No Shero...you are not the only one who finds that strange...unless they have a partying/druggie lifestyle I would find it highly unusual.

But I want to know who made the police aware that they were the last ones to see her? Did they volunteer this info? If they did something to the girl and then volunteered that they were at the apartment at 2 it's pretty stupid IMO (but I like stupid criminals...they make the LE job easier) I can't help but wonder if both of them came to the door at 2 (for what ever reason...) and the girl answered the door telling them that stepfather is asleep. The two leave and one of them come back later and takes the girl. Then when she is reported missing the other one tells police that they were there not knowing that the second one had done anything.
It's my understanding that the two men stopped by at 2 a.m. to visit the mother's fiance. Fiance later passed a polygraph, but I'd bet he was the one who mentioned the two friends.

Little Evelyn Miller joins the ranks of other little preschoolers who no one is watching after - Dannariah Finley, Tamra Keepness, the little girl whose DNA was found on that Lindsay guy family friend . . .and on and on and on. Children who people last see at 2 a.m. wearing street clothes. Sleeping with siblings on couches, and no one really notices exactly when they slip out and away forever.

How many of these poor dear souls are there, who no one is watching at all, who put themselves to "bed", where their bed is a couch or a floor or who knows what, and then they disappear with one of the many visitors who come and go in the night?

Prayers for Evelyn. Prayers for Dannariah, prayers for Tamra, prayers for all the other babies no one really notices until it's too late.

nvfc said:
I disagree. I have contacted the Sheriff's office and found them to be very straightforward. Basically everything out there is all there is. Cases are hard to get picked up by local news let alone national.

I pray that a safe outcome is instore for Elizabeth however that house that has been mentioed earlier is a crime scene, what that means we just do not know yet.
Just out of curiosity....if the Sheriff's office called a news conference regarding this case, no media would show up? I always thought that in the majority of cases, no media because LE is tightlipped about the case for various reasons.

CaliKid said:
It's my understanding that the two men stopped by at 2 a.m. to visit the mother's fiance. Fiance later passed a polygraph, but I'd bet he was the one who mentioned the two friends.
That's the most logical scenario for telling us that 2 visitors stopped by...BUT...look at it this way. Speculation = Two visitors stop by, Evelyn answers the door. The fiance gets up, chats with the visitors (or does other stuff, drugs, drinks..whatever) then the visitors leave, the fiance closes the door and goes back to bed. Then wouldn't the fiance be the last one to see her?? I don't see how anyone could witness the friends as being the last ones to see the girl unless they saw her too. Especially if they lived in the same house. I mean I can't imagine the fiance going back to bed and leaving the friends in the living room with the children at 2 am:waitasec: But stranger things have happened.

I was thinking about this as well. Im guessing he went back to bed and left her with them. Otherwise theres no way he could possibly know is there? I guess not everyone is as paranoid about stuff like that as me................

KatherineQ said:
Little Evelyn Miller joins the ranks of other little preschoolers who no one is watching after - Dannariah Finley, Tamra Keepness, the little girl whose DNA was found on that Lindsay guy family friend . . .and on and on and on. Children who people last see at 2 a.m. wearing street clothes. Sleeping with siblings on couches, and no one really notices exactly when they slip out and away forever.

How many of these poor dear souls are there, who no one is watching at all, who put themselves to "bed", where their bed is a couch or a floor or who knows what, and then they disappear with one of the many visitors who come and go in the night?

Prayers for Evelyn. Prayers for Dannariah, prayers for Tamra, prayers for all the other babies no one really notices until it's too late.

I was thinking the exact same thing! How sad this is. Why can't parents be more responsible and truly take care of their kids. Mothers need to choose their boyfriends carefully and help teach them parenting skills. Strange men should not be staying in a home with kids or be visiting at 2am!

This case reminds me so much of poor Emily Rimel. That was the last one described above.

ewwwinteresting said:
Just out of curiosity....if the Sheriff's office called a news conference regarding this case, no media would show up? I always thought that in the majority of cases, no media because LE is tightlipped about the case for various reasons.

I am not sure why this is being held close to the vest, my impression was that there was little more information than was given out.

I am in contact with several LE agencies across the country and I found the sheriff's office in Evelyn's case very professional and courteous over the phone. Sometimes you can call these le agencies and they have no idea as to the person or case that is in their own backyard and this is in small communities.

I have a feeling they suspect foul play but need to investigate the contents of items seized.

I hope Evelyn is safe and echo what KatherineQ stated.

I just don't get it, the military has now been called in to search for Natalee Holloway, yet this poor precious child has yet to make headline news. Am I missing something? I would think the mother would be begging to be on the news to plead for the return of her daughter.

kahskye said:
I just don't get it, the military has now been called in to search for Natalee Holloway, yet this poor precious child has yet to make headline news. Am I missing something? I would think the mother would be begging to be on the news to plead for the return of her daughter.

Not everyone gets the microphone! It is very unfair. Someone needs to speak out for Evelyn!

Thanks LE for the update below, I am responding above instead of another post.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back