IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know that DHS and FBI are involved. FBI, not surprising, they assist on many local investigations as they can offer more investigative resources, otherwise not available IE: The special equipment for reviewing video etc etc.. One example not to mention their profilers, experts and it goes on and on. The DHS involvement is the one that really catches my attention. There was a case that happened here in Texas that stunned the community due to the fact the drive-by shooting/assassination was in broad daylight, with shoppers everywhere in a very upscale area. It took awhile to solve and there was a lot of speculation. While this is different because this guy was an informant for DHS and an ex-cartel member. I have to wonder if there was a larger investigation being conducted by DHS? There has been chatter that this area could have been a drug hub. Was Lt. G assisting in their efforts? But you would expect DEA to be involved. Is he is a homicide victim based off of activities related to a DHS investigation into larger matters? If Federal conducting a larger scale investigation, they would typically need cooperation or assistance from the local authorties and have programs implemented for this. I think we need to consider reasons why DHS would be playing a larger role of involvement here. I wonder what the LT. specialty role was in the Army?

Here is the Texas case if anyone cares to read about it. Like Softail said, it could take a year to solve. This one also took a long time. Even though at the time they had plastered the surveillance video on the news and more etc..

"Guerrero also had been an informant for the U.S. government — specifically Homeland Security Investigations, or HSI, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security. It is unclear when he began his cooperation, whether HSI agents were fully aware of his activities while he lived in Texas, or if others may have learned of his role as a snitch."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Qu...Down-in-Southlake-Town-Square--256760781.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article3872534.html

We have been assuming if this is a homicide that the suspected illegal activity had been going on at the site Lt CG was killed. What if he was actually suspicious of activity going on nearby but not at that specific spot? Something unrelated to the graffiti, squatters etc?

You must not understand how fast the grape vine is with criminals.

What Filenko claims also tends not to always be the total truth. We have no evidence that there was criminal activity there recently. No arrests, no massive drug busts. And do we have evidence that Joe was actually assigned that area or is it just "he took on the responsibility himself" ????

In fact it would make more sense if there hadn't been the supposed recent criminal wave and if Joe hadn't taken it upon himself to patrol that area regularly that he might have seem something suspicious and something major was happening.

But now we know that didn't happen because he was there for so long previously.

Something I also want to point out is that both Filenko and the mayor are very keen on the entire "Gang activity" in the town.
So I take everything they say with a grain of salt because those who are always pandering for federal dollars tend to overstate the exact nature of the problem in the area.
Filenko also speaks on gang activity and the mayor actually ran on the stance.

So they would naturally be claiming gang tagging and drug use and oh my god the sky is falling and Joe was being proactive to stop the spread and was killed because of it.

I'd be the last one to underestimate the average criminal's intelligence, common sense or situational awareness. I would not be the least bit surprised by any criminal activity having occurred at the abandoned cement plant on September 1st.

I posted a Fox Local's blog in thread 3 that mentioned multiple examples of criminal activity including gang tagging of Fox Lake resident's garage doors.

We have been assuming if this is a homicide that the suspected illegal activity had been going on at the site Lt CG was killed. What if he was actually suspicious of activity going on nearby but not at that specific spot? Something unrelated to the graffiti, squatters etc?

Wouldn't there be some evidence of this prior to his being killed?

I'd be the last one to underestimate the average criminal's intelligence, common sense or situational awareness. I would not be the least bit surprised by any criminal activity having occurred at the abandoned cement plant on September 1st.

I posted a Fox Local's blog in thread 3 that mentioned multiple examples of criminal activity including gang tagging of Fox Lake resident's garage doors.

There would be evidence of this if anything had gone down that day around there.

Wouldn't there be some evidence of this prior to his being killed?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was speculating that Lt CG may have been patrolling that area for more than one reason, for more than one LE agency.

I just realized (I know rather late to the game) that Battaglia, the Chicago cop, was only charged with Disorderly Conduct which as I read it in Illinois is a Class C misdemeanor.

Weren't people just calling in suspects so the police could check on them?
I imagine they had all sorts of calls that didn't amount to anything more than callers overreacting.
In listening to the scanner live that day and the night of the Lakemoor nanny incident, it was not a good time to be out anywhere, doing anything the slightest bit out of the ordinary. I heard numerous people being quickly attended to and cleared within several miles of Fox Lake.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was speculating that Lt CG may have been patrolling that area for more than one reason, for more than one LE agency.

I find the idea he was undercover or working for another agency not very likely. If that is what you are saying.

4)Paradigm Shift: Fox Lake had quite recently purchased land at the site and in town meetings indicated that nefarious activity there needed attention.. a short time before Lt. J's death they requested that the PD establish patrols .I wouldn't assume criminals to be in synch.
Have we established specifically what land/plot(s) were purchased by Fox Lake?

Wow! Lots of pages to catch up on. I couldn't find the threads last night, when I clicked on links in my history it said invalid. So I guess the threads were removed for awhile? Well, I'm off to read now, glad we're back up!

In trying to track down land parcel ownership in the area, I thought I'd throw out this marked up map from the Lake County GIS mapping site of the area designation of wetland vs. surface water, as well as some relevant local points-of-interest to the case. Still working on current parcel ownership, with reference to recent Fox Lake purchase.

attachment.php

Attachments

• wetland.jpg
    wetland.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 164
And a closer in view of the area's features.

attachment.php

Attachments

• wetlandclose.jpg
    wetlandclose.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 162
Have we established specifically what land/plot(s) were purchased by Fox Lake?

Not that I can figure out.
I don't think it can be any of the lot mark R4 Pud. I think that is all developer land probably for more houses behind that other subdivision.
Also a lot along 12 is owned by someone who is selling it for commercial business.
So the only part I can think of is the lot directly to the east of the cement plant between that and whatever that is on the corner of Rollins and 59. But that also is zoned for residential.

And you can see that from rollins.

So that is CHAIN OF LAKES BIKE PATH.
Well then what the heck. You are bound to see all sorts of people along that area all the time if there is a bike path along Rollins.
This isn't a top secret area where you would never expect to see anyone. So what the heck do they think these suspicious three were doing that they had to be chased into a swamp?

20111205 Fox Lake Zoning (updated .jpg
Blue striped is Residential Planned Unit Development
Orange/Yellow is Business
Pink is Manufacturing (where the cement plant is and over towards 59)
Green is Residential

I wonder what Joe's standard day at work was like?
I would think as a Lieutenant he wasn't on patrol.
So did he do paperwork mostly?
Did he only do special rounds that were special requests for current problems?

So that is CHAIN OF LAKES BIKE PATH.
Well then what the heck. You are bound to see all sorts of people along that area all the time if there is a bike path along Rollins.
This isn't a top secret area where you would never expect to see anyone. So what the heck do they think these suspicious three were doing that they had to be chased into a swamp?
Correct. Rollins Rd. is a fairly heavily (for a 2 lane road) traveled road, the bike path is fairly well traveled by foot/bike/stroller/skateboard, and the Metra train tracks with trains every 30-60 min. on average. ALL of these have pretty open view into any of the abutting properties (ie; waste plant, cement plant, wetland). This is the Google Street view into the cement plant where you can see each.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cementstreeview.jpg
    cementstreeview.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 136
So any tagging or squatting isn't happening there because you can see everything. Or if the tagging is happening it is on this side and not where you need to go around to the back where no one would see your artistic ability anyway so why tag there?

There appears to be a new looking truck parked over on the lot too in the google street view????

So any tagging or squatting isn't happening there because you can see everything. Or if the tagging is happening it is on this side and not where you need to go around to the back where no one would see your artistic ability anyway so why tag there?

There appears to be a new looking truck parked over on the lot too in the google street view????
Although I don't look that closely when driving by, I honestly don't remember any tagging going on that is visible from the road.

Truck as of 3 years ago, yes. The street view is from Oct. 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member