IL - Olamide Adeyooye, 21, Normal, 13 Oct 2005

But the address the police are searching is not the address listed to sex offender.

fred said:
But the address the police are searching is not the address listed to sex offender.
I noticed that as well.

I wonder what evidence pointed them in the direction of the apartment that they are searching? I also wonder exactly what documents were in that bag. Whatever they were, they were important enough to change Olamide's disappearance into a criminal investigation.

Another thing to consider is that the drive from Normal, IL to Newton, MS is 723 miles. According to Yahoo Maps, that would take 11 hours to drive. If the murderer used Olamide's vehicle, he would have to have stopped for gas. I wonder if any of the employees at I-55 gas stations noticed Olamide's car or anything unusual. Seeing as the fire at the chicken coop was arson, accelerant would have been used. Did anyone see someone with a green Corolla fill a gas tank in that area on October 17?

<But the address the police are searching is not the address listed to sex offender.>

hhmm,, odd. well, i wonder if they HAVE checked his place...?? or are they going to?

Best Friend Says Killer Will Be Found

“To hurt someone that never even hurt a fly, wasn't even at a bar, wasn't partying, and just minding her own business, watching movies, hanging out--it's awful,” said [Ashley] Petrey.

Adeyooye's body was found earlier this week in a burnt out chicken coop in Newton County, Mississippi.

Her body was burned beyond recognition, something Petrey can barely fathom.

“They're going to find out who it is. Burning does not get rid of as much forensic evidence as you think,” said Petrey.

Being a criminal justice major, Petrey has even created a profile of her own for Adeyooye's killer.

“Whoever did this, I think is from Mississippi and came up because of (Hurricane Katrina),” said Petrey.

No Cause of Death for Slain ISU Student

Authorities in Mississippi say an autopsy performed on a slain Illinois State University student didn't reveal the cause of her death. Delores Lewis of the Mississippi Highway Patrol says the autopsy performed October 21st on the remains of 21-year-old Olamide Adeyooye was inconclusive. Lewis says the investigation is continuing.

i disagree (with the friend)... i think it was a sexual predator who lived nearby & was watching her- a young vibrant intelligent woman who was getting her education & bettering her life- and he was feeling insecure and he was enraged he couldn't have her (& didn't deserve her!).... so he kidnapped, raped & killed her... and then drove around with her body, and just kept driving all night, trying to figure out what to do with her.. and he went as far away as he could, until he found someplace remote, and dumped her there. that's just my hunch anyway.

It is really sad that the parents blocked the friends from going on Greta that night when it was all set up. There is the possibility that someone might have seen her car...license plate...and she could have been saved. When someone goes missing it really isn't a "private matter" at all. The more the missing person's picture....picture of car....license # is seen the better chance of finding the missing person before something can happen. Such a shame.

I still don't believe those friends meant any harm. I think they were just scared to death and were trying to do everything they could think of to find her. They had made a good head start.

The killer could even be someone she went to college with or worked with that she felt comfortabe enough to leave her home with. It had to be someone she was at least familiar with as there was no sign of a struggle and it looks like she was coming right back or at least thought she was. Maybe someone who asked her for help...ran out of gas...needed to run to the store.

From all I've read and all the posts I just don't believe it was a stranger who did this to her. It just doesn't make sense to just walk out of her place the way she left it without expecting to return in a short time. It's so heartbreaking to me so see such a young woman working towards goals in life to be so violently taken from this earth. She was a good girl and just didn't deserve to die this way. It's a sad world when you can't trust anyone!

SadieMae said:
From all I've read and all the posts I just don't believe it was a stranger who did this to her. It just doesn't make sense to just walk out of her place the way she left it without expecting to return in a short time. It's so heartbreaking to me so see such a young woman working towards goals in life to be so violently taken from this earth. She was a good girl and just didn't deserve to die this way. It's a sad world when you can't trust anyone!
I don't think that it was a stranger, either.

Search for Clues Continues

Kotte said Mississippi authorities had already conducted one autopsy, and planned to have a second soon to determine how and when Adeyooye died. He declined to comment on evidence, searches and people interviewed by police, and said much of the information is now critical to the investigation.

"We can only release information that will not impair this investigation or damage future criminal proceedings," Kotte said.

Kotte also said police are certain someone is not preying on students in the town, but he could not discuss evidence that led to that conclusion.

Local News Report

• Searching apartment two doors down from Olamide's apartment.
  • Police tight lipped.

Arrested Man Might be Linked to Slaying

• [font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Authorities say they found blood after search of man's Illinois apartment[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Authorities have picked up a person in Atlanta who might be questioned in connection with the slaying of Illinois student Olamide Adeyooye, whose burned body was found in Newton County.

Asked if someone was being questioned in Adeyooye's death, Newton County Sheriff Jackie Knight said Thursday night he "could not comment on whether there was a person of interest and if he were in jail in Atlanta."

[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The name of the man picked up by authorities remains unknown, but he reportedly lived in the same apartment complex in Normal, Ill., as the 21-year-old Nigerian native.[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hours after authorities made the student's death public Wednesday, police began to search the man's apartment, a few doors west of Adeyooye's apartment at 917 Market St. Detectives took photographs and scanned the apartment with ultraviolet light, where authorities said they found blood.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font]

Officials Hope to Know Today How Student Died

"We're just basically just trying to check out a few leads. We're coming up empty handed," Randy Patrick, an investigator with the Newton County, Miss., Sheriff's Department, said Thursday. Patrick said an anthropologist at the University of Southern Mississippi is scheduled to finish examining Adeyooye's body today, and police in Normal will be contacted immediately about the cause of death.

Normal police Lt. Mark Kotte said authorities hope the results will indicate when Adeyooye died to help them understand where she died.

According to Associated Press reports, Newton County Sheriff Jackie Knight said, "we believe the actual death took place in Illinois."

Kotte said he has no knowledge of that information.

From what I have read, I don't think it was a stranger either. I think that her friend Ashley would rather it be a stranger, than face another blow that the perp could be a member of their social network or a casual aquaintance. I tend to lean toward a casual aquaintance because Ola's friends would have noticed if someone was missing for four days.

The apartment setting is just to casual, seems to me Ola ran out for a minute with someone she knew, intending to be right back. Not to mention the police keep saying that they are questioning persons of interest or that could be involved.

• Focus in investigation has been narrowed.
  • Police made progress but are not going into detail.
  • All Normal investigators that were sent to MS are now back.
  • Police are waiting for the results of a second autopsy.
  • First autopsy was inconclusive.
  • Police are still looking for Olamide's car.
  • Aerial searches over MS to begin soon.
  • Man arrested in GA was arrested on a Normal warrant for financial charges and is a "person of interest" in Olamide's death.
  • Man's name is Maurice Lashon Wallace who lived in the apartment next to Olamide's building.
  • I-20 is the crossing interstate between where Olamide's body was found and Atlanta where Wallace was arrested.
  • Wednesday night police searched Wallace's apartment.
  • Not known when Wallace left Normal or why he is in GA.
  • Earlier this month, Wallace was charged with disorderly conduct against a woman.
  • May 2001, arrested for unlawful vehicular invasion and criminal trespass.
  • Wallace appeared in court in GA on Oct 21.
Out of respect for this man's privacy, I am not direct linking to his arrest record. You can find it yourself by doing a search here.

Investigators continued interviews and searches Thursday in the death of an Illinois State University student whose body was found a week ago in rural Mississippi.

Kotte said Mississippi authorities had already conducted one autopsy, and planned to have a second soon to determine how and when Adeyooye died.

He declined to comment on evidence, searches and people interviewed by police, and said much of the information is now critical to the investigation.

"We can only release information that will not impair this investigation or damage future criminal proceedings," Kotte said.

Kotte also said police are certain someone is not preying on students in the town, but he could not discuss evidence that led to that conclusion.
http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/102805/new_20051028086.shtml

Theft from Online Account Led to Arrest in GA

A man held in an Atlanta, Ga., jail is accused of taking nearly $500 from a college student one day after Olamide Adeyooye went missing. The suspect, Maurice Lashon Wallace, 27, moved to an apartment building at 917 Market St. in mid-August. Police searched Wallace's apartment this week in the Adeyooye homicide case.

Illinois State University student Samson Sando, who reported the money stolen from his account, previously shared an apartment with Wallace.

Sando said Wallace never mentioned Adeyooye, who lived at 907 Market St., and she was not one of the several women Wallace brought to their apartment. Sando did not know Adeyooye, who was a senior at ISU.

Police May Question Theft Suspect

Police investigating the death of an Illinois State University student whose body was found in rural Mississippi may question a Normal man who is jailed in Atlanta, Ga., on unrelated charges. Maurice Lashon Wallace, 27, is awaiting extradition to McLean County to face charges on identity theft crimes. Normal Police Lt. Mark Kotte said investigators may question him about Olamide Adeyooye's disappearance when he returns to Illinois, but they are in no hurry to speak to him.

Wallace lived in an apartment at 917 W. Market St., according to the arrest warrant for the theft charge. The apartment, which is in the same block where Adeyooye lived, was searched Wednesday in connection with her death, The Pantagraph has learned.

Police would not say whether Wallace is a suspect or comment on his link to their investigation. Detectives have searched multiple locations and have not yet narrowed their probe to a single suspect, Kotte said Friday afternoon.

Normal Police Could Be One Step Closer in Olamide Adeyooye Case.

Investigators in Normal could be getting closer to naming a suspect in the death investigation of Illinois State University Senior Olamide Adeyooye.

While police say they are still tracking down many persons of interest, they are also saying they may soon question a man who lives just yards away from Adeyooye--that man is already in police custody in Atlanta.

Twenty-seven year old Maurice Wallace lives on the 900 Block of West Market in Normal. Adeyooye also lived on the 900-Block of West Market. According to court documents, he worked at McDonald's on the ISU campus.

Timeline:

• Adeyooye was last seen on October 13th.
  • The next day, October 14th, Wallace allegedly stole $500 from his room mate.
  • Three days later, a fire was set in a chicken house near the highway in Newton County, Mississippi.
  • On October 20th Wallace was arrested in Atlanta on the theft charges.
  • The next day, October 21st, Adeyooye’s body was recovered in the burned out chicken house.
Adeyooye’s best friend Ashley Petrey says she knows Maurice, and isn't surprised police wanted to talk to him.

“I find that completely plausible. I think they've found who they're looking for. I do,” said Ashley. She added“I'm shocked because it is someone we used to play off as harmless, but just creepy and gross, and a little off.”

Adeyooye's green Corolla is still missing, Normal investigators say it could be anywhere between Bloomington and Mississippi.

“At this time of the year, it's a little more difficult to find things; you've got leaves on trees. As the fall approaches, leaves fall off trees, it might be easier,” said Lt. Mark Kotte of the Normal Police Department.

According to Atlanta authorities, Wallace was driving a rental car when he was arrested by the FBI.

He is being held in Atlanta, awaiting extradition back to McLean County—which could take several days.

Wallace has a criminal record and has spent time in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Normal Police say they are also looking at Adeyooye’s internet blog as evidence in this case.

So my question in response to that article, is where was that car rented from? Mississippi? Georgia? I am surprised that the reporter did not mention that.

It is about time that police are looking at Olamide's blog. That is something that we have been saying all along. I noticed that Ashley put her full name (including middle name) on her blog this week. These girls have no idea just how much information they are putting out there and just how vulnerable they are making themselves. It is frightening, especially in light of Ashley just having lost someone so horribly.

Also interesting is that Ashley was the last one to have seen Olamide, fought with her the night that she disappeared, discovered that she was missing the very next day, and now says that she knows this Maurice character. It makes me wonder what is really being said in those cryptic blog entries.

ISU Student's Slaying Case May Expand to Georgia

The Newton County Sheriff's Department is investigating the case as a homicide and suspected arson. Knight said a necklace police believe belonged to Adeyooye was found in the burned rubble. In addition, "there was some remnants of a blanket, yes."

Knight said it was too difficult to tell from the pieces if the blanket had been wrapped around Adeyooye or if it had been lying next to her.

Last week, Kotte said Adeyooye's comforter was missing from her apartment. On Friday, he would not confirm whether the comforter was missing or comment on blanket remnants.

"It could potentially be evidence," Kotte said, adding he would not comment on evidence or persons of interest.

Here is something curious, the police were not the first to say that Olamide's comforter was missing. It was Ashley who posted on her blog that when she broke into Olamide's apartment, Olamide's comforter was missing. She explained both the comforter's and Olamide's disappearance by a late night laundry run to a "questionable" part of town.

Later that week, there was a report that the comforter had been found. That link is no longer active and now it sounds as though the comforter was found in the chicken house in Mississippi either beside or beneath Olamide.

In response to the police looking at Olamide's blog as evidence, Ashley now posts on her blog that myspace.com had nothing to do with Olamide's disappearance.

MySpace has NOTHING to do with Olamide's disappearance Trust me.

I would be curious as to how she knows enough of the evidence in the case to make such a claim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back