IL IL - Robin Abrams, 28, Beecher, 4 Oct 1990

As usual, they are waiting for a body to turn up (maybe) or they are just assigning this case to the dustbin. They need to go to trial with this mountain of circumstantial evidence before the suspects die from old age. I can't believe the injustice.

I wonder if LE still has her car. Maybe there is DNA? Even her purse could have DNA on it. If it has the step-brother's DNA on any of these items, he has some explaining to do. I know it is a looong shot, but there are new techniques in forensics. Maybe they can add to that mountain of circumstantial evidence with some iron clad evidence. I'd follow the men around and confiscate their coffee cups, drinking glasses, forks or spoons from public places to get their DNA. I'd talk with their wives or exgirlfriends too.

Someone towed her car. The tow company was probably hired to tow it. Didn't LE try to track that business down to ask them who paid for the tow?? If they did and it was one of the suspects, who hired that tow, then there is a good chance for a successful conviction, IMO.

Just some thoughts.

Then, in the fall of 1989, the pattern appears to shift. Court records show Abrams and her mother were granted an order of protection from Marquez in November 1989. The Abrams’ order of protection was extended for a year until Nov. 27, 1990.​

On Dec. 13, 1989, she filed a federal lawsuit against Marquez and seven other members of the sheriff’s department alleging sexual harassment and wrongful termination. Marquez filed one last complaint against Abrams in January 1990, saying she threatened to hit him. That charge was dismissed less than three months later. Abrams was scheduled to give a deposition in the lawsuit on Oct. 22, 1990, but then she disappeared.​

What caused him to stop harassing her at this point? Was it the threat of the lawsuit that included other members of his team? Maybe those mentioned in the lawsuit put the pressure on him to stop harassing her? Under a watchful eye? Maybe this is when he started making a plan? Did his plan include others (besides his stepbrother)?

"The grand jury investigating Abrams’ disappearance wanted the men to stand in a witness lineup and provide hair and blood samples, fingerprints and palm prints."​

WHY?? There must have been evidence.

"And despite ... overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence - including fibers in Abrams' car and an eyewitness account that pointed to Abrams' ex-boyfriend and his stepbrother - nobody ever was charged with a crime. ... it was because there was no body."​

Will County prosecutors, led by then-State’s Attorney Edward Burmila, believed Abrams was a homicide victim. “Hopefully they’ll make an arrest some day,” Burmila, who is now a Will County Circuit Court judge, said in a late September interview.​

Maybe what he should have said is, "Hopefully it wont take 23 years to make an arrest."

Don't forget he was a police officer and they would have had fingerprints already on file to easily match with any evidence found on the car.

This case is crazy. First I have heard of it. I have nothing great to add, but thinking back to that time, 1990ish, sexual harassment was just beginning to become a widely talked-about issue, and much of the public were skeptical and unsympathetic about women who reported incidences of harassment in the workplace. I remember being in high school, it would have been '91 I guess, and watching or rewatching some of the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings about harassment, and an overwhelming number of people - especially men - were quite unsympathetic and just completely unbelieving about the issue. That it was just a lot of noise by women who couldn't cut it in the workplace or something. There was definitely not the awareness that there is today, nor were workplace rules and processes for reporting in place.

My heart goes out to Robin, thinking about what a difficult time she must have had; lack of public or bosses' support, and being harassed again for taking action. Her poor family. Someone needs to take this case up, or a lot of noise needs to be made to get some action. :(

Couple of things I found digging around...

Robin has a facebook page with some interesting things on there:
https://www.facebook.com/findrobin.abrams

Of most interest might be the arrest pictures of her in her will county sheriff deputy uniform ... they arrested one of their own and documented it?

Here is another webpage:
In re MAY 1991, WILL COUNTY GRAND JURY (People of the State of Illinois, Respondent-Appellee, Tony Marquez & John Romo, Movants-Appellants).
http://www.leagle.com/decision/19911098576NE2d522_11011

snipped:
A grand jury in Will County, Illinois subpoenaed the petitioners, Tony Marquez and John Romo. The subpoenas required both to appear in an in-person line-up, submit fingerprints, palm prints, a blood standard, and head and pubic hair samples to the grand jury. No charges have been filed against either man. The petitioners filed motions to quash the subpoenas. Following a hearing before the Circuit Court of Will County, the court quashed the subpoenas requiring the petitioners to submit blood standards, pubic hair pullings, and head hair pullings. The court ruled these items were the subject of Fourth Amendment protection and, absent a showing of probable cause, beyond the scope of the grand jury's subpoena power. The court upheld the subpoenas with regard to fingerprints, palm prints, in-person lineup, head hair clipping and combing, and pubic hair clipping and combing. The court ruled these items are not the subject of Fourth Amendment protections in that they are items routinely exposed to public view. The petitioners appeal the court's ruling. We affirm in part and reverse in part.

First, the petitioners argue that there is no showing that the subpoenas were issued at the direction of the Grand Jury. We dispose of this argument summarily. The petitioners assert they "believe" the subpoenas "may" have been issued at the direction of the State's Attorney and not by action of the Grand Jury. The burden of showing irregularity in grand jury proceedings rests upon the defendant and may not be based upon speculation. (People v. Haag (1979), 80 Ill.App.3d 135, 35 Ill.Dec. 450, 399 N.E.2d 284.) Absent proof of irregularity which is not demonstrated by this record, we decline to presume error in the issuance of the subpoenas.

The remainder of the petitioners' claims warrant careful consideration.

First, the petitioners contend the subpoenas are not authorized by applicable Illinois law. They argue (1) the Illinois Constitution provides that the legislature may limit the powers of the grand jury; (2) the legislature has limited the subpoena powers of the grand jury to oral testimony, documents, and transcripts; (3) hair, blood and the other evidence sought falls into none of the aforementioned categories; and, (4) therefore, the subpoenas issued by the Will County Grand Jury exceed their lawful authority and should be quashed. Secondly, petitioners claim a Fourth Amendment protection from divulging these items absent a showing of probable cause. Third, the petitioners assert the subpoenas violate their constitutional right to privacy under the Illinois State Constitution.

.... the rest of this article explains more.​

Here is another article about her disappearance:

Missing Ex-deputy Had Pending Suit October 10, 1990
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-10-10/news/9003250143_1_tow-truck-suit-punitive-damages

snipped:
In a pending civil rights suit filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago, Robin Abrams, a deputy from January 1988 until she was fired the following December, contends she was dismissed as the result of an affair that began in May 1988 and ended in October of the same year.

In the suit, Abrams, 28, of Beecher, claims her refusal to keep quiet about the relationship with an unpaid member of the Sheriff`s Department`s part-time auxiliary led to harassment over the next several months by Will County and Joliet police officers.

She contends she was arrested on Dec. 16, 1988, outside a dry cleaning shop and detained in the sheriff`s building without charges being filed against her. And in August 1989, she was charged with reckless driving but was later acquitted.

The suit asks $50,000 in compensation and another $500,000 in punitive damages.

Sheriff John Johnsen refused to comment on the suit, calling it ``pending litigation.`` Johnsen said he had called in state police investigators on the advice of Will County State`s Atty. Edward Burmila.​

Cheaper to make her disappear? It does make you wonder who else was involved - with the disappearance and the harassing.

Someone had to see something. She was seen Thursday in Beecher, IL by her father at about 4 pm (that is what I gather from most of the articles) and her car was seen being dropped off in Harvey, IL between 10-11 pm (this time varies within the different articles). Police were notified at about 3am (Friday) of someone trying to break into her car. The police then notified the family and then they reported missing. IMO if Will County was investigating, I can imagine they would be searching too hard for a woman who had a lawsuit pending against 7 of its own within the department - one of them being the Sheriff (according to info on her FB page). I'm sure that is why Ill. State Police took over (conflict of interest), but by that time - precious time was lost in finding her body.

State police take another look at Abrams case
December 1, 2013

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/n...-police-take-another-look-at-abrams-case.html

State Police Sgt. Jeff Padilla said detectives sought to question Marquez and his stepbrother, John Romo, after learning that Abrams may have encountered them the night she disappeared.

“Investigators had suspects at the time but were unable to develop anything concrete,” Padilla said, adding that the case review has not generated any additional suspects or ruled out Marquez or Romo.

After 12 years as an auxiliary officer, Marquez was fired from the sheriff’s department Dec. 12, 1990 , as a result of the state police investigation into Abrams’ disappearance, then-Sheriff Tom Fitzgerald said at the time.

Marquez, now 69, operates Marquez Financial Services from his Elwood home, but the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority reports that his broker’s license is currently inactive. No one answered when a reporter went to the door Thursday. Marquez has consistently declined to comment to reporters regarding Abrams’ disappearance.

There is also a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to an arrest. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous can call CrimeStoppers at 1-800-323-6734

No new suspects, did not rule out TM or JR, Robin may have encountered them that night.
After 12 years in the force TM was fired as a result of the IL State Police Investigation into her disappearance. What did it show?

This is wonderful that the case is being revisited!
Praying for justice. God bless LE for assigning a competent agent!

Bump bump bump!!!!!

This is wonderful that the case is being revisited!
Praying for justice. God bless LE for assigning a competent agent!

Bump bump bump!!!!!

Sounds like we have a livewire in Mr. Glasgow. I am going to post on his Facebook asking for additional focus on resolving Robin Renea Abrams cold case. I will point him to this thread, and hope others will do the same.
Thanks for posting this :seeya:

I believe our live wire Mr. Glasgow might very well be our champion. God bless him.

Find the wife (or now ex wife?) and get her to talk. She knows.
Or has she "passed on" as well?

Too bad the media doesn't shine a bright light on this case
Perhaps the family should erect a billboard like Desiree Young did? (Kyron Horman case).

Opinion only!:moo:

They did erect a billboard. I am fb friends with her sister Jody. I came here to start a thread for Robin, and found we already had one.

[video=youtube;kUqbiEUWK0o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUqbiEUWK0o[/video]

[video=youtube;erP_aB9MXJ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erP_aB9MXJ4[/video]

Maybe a break.

A retired lieutenant from the Will County Sheriff's Department was called to testify before a grand jury Wednesday afternoon, sources said.

Lt. Steve Knickrehm was accompanied to the grand jury by Joliet attorney George Lenard. Both Knickrehm and Lenard declined to comment on their way into the courthouse annex.

While with the sheriff's department, Knickrehm investigated the case of missing deputy Robin Abrams. Abrams was 28 when she vanished in October 1990.

http://patch.com/illinois/joliet/ca...-more-than-23-years-before-grand-jury-sources

Gosh, that article was from April 2014 and there doesn't seem to be anything more recent :(

Today: JOLIET – Illinois State Police, state crime scene investigators and the FBI are digging at a Joliet home in connection with the 1990 disappearance of a former Will County sheriff's deputy.

About 2 p.m. Thursday, law enforcement personnel were unearthing a portion of a residential concrete basement slab at 100 S. Margaret St., near the intersection of West Jefferson Street and Larkin Avenue.

“The dig is being conducted in response to new leads provided in the missing person’s case of Robin Abrams,” an Illinois State Police news release stated. “The residents of the house are not involved in the case and are being temporarily relocated until the dig is complete.”

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/02/23/state-police-fbi-digging-at-joliet-home-in-connection-with-1990-sheriffs-deputy-disappearance/ajy1400/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back