GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #5

I spoke about a CHIPS report on the other page and was questioned about it by the verufied CPS person.

Child abuse and neglect are very difficult to have investigated. Many thngs that people have talked about on here would not get a visit from CPS where I live.

A CHIPS report is one where there are concerns. The parents seem to let the children run around mthe neighborhood with no supervision at late hours. The child wanders away from the home. The child has said the parent slapped them.

An incident by itself could indicate not much. But, if CPS gets many reports about issues that are not in the best interest of a child, they can indicate that although each incident by itself is not of a big concern, there are enough incidents that may indicate a parent is in over his/her head and the child is at risk.

As I said, that is why it is important to report if you feel a child is at risk. Your report may be the one where the family is given intervention. The goal where I live is nit to take children away, but rather work on issues that may be affecting caregiving.

Most parents love their children, but they make bad choices or their lives are so chaotic, that they need some interventions to get back on track.

I only know these things because I am a mandated reporter, not because I am. CPS.

I would get trained once a year in reporting. Many of us were frustrated be ause we feel that there is not enough intervention. I cannot remember all of the thngs, but some thing that stuck in my mind is that a filthy house is not enough for intervention. It has to be life threatening, not just utterly disgusting. Animal feces on the floor are not acceptable because of disease possiblity.

Anyway, it is not as obvious as it would seem.

Here is my thinking about the CPS call... the public did not yet know about the circumstances of that day, so how could they have made a report about abuse by the Uncle and neglect by Mom? The report is either from another incident or from LE. imo

You could be right. But, I doubt mom was alone while she was out. Do we have a time the report was made CPS? I thought I had read that it was done on Sunday, no time. So, once the sheriff spoke and made public Willow's mom's version of the story, its possible someone called in and said something about mom being out all night or something.

Just a thought. I am torn at thinking that is possible or if more like they would have called a tip in to LE instead.

Kelly

Here is my thinking about the CPS call... the public did not yet know about the circumstances of that day, so how could they have made a report about abuse by the Uncle and neglect by Mom? The report is either from another incident or from LE. imo

I think there is another possibility (but this is all just speculation by me) What if there was someone (or someones) visiting the house the evening this took place...either before C. went out or as an "after party" type thing? And what if they witnessed C. not paying attention to her children as this person felt she should, and what if they witnessed J. behaving in an aggressive or inappropriate manner with one of the children...and C. not caring or not doing anything about it?

Then the next day when little Willow is missing, their conscience gets the better of them and they call it in? Could that be a possibility? That would account for the two charges of neglect, and the one charge of abuse.

It makes me crazy that the mother lied. It makes me think she knew leaving the kids with her brother was a bad idea. Just a feeling I have. And searchers were sent to hospital, could have died. If police had been on the brother right away, he may have confesses. JMO

To avoid confusion, the agency of interest is Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. On second reference, it's DCFS. I don't mean to nitpick, but all of the initials can be confusing.

I said way back in thread four that I think it's quite possible that NG's bio-dad or his family called CPS. The only reason I have for thinking this is that of all people besides LE, I would think NG's family would have good reason to worry about his welfare with Willow missing. They may have suspected that Willow met foul play or they may have been worried that NG wouldn't get appropriate care with all the chaos surrounding Willow's disappearance. Now, it's possible that NG's bio family reported past instances of neglect or abuse but I don't think that's necessarily why they called CPS. I'm not sure of the timeline of the CPS investigation but I know they were called on Sunday. I wonder if the initial report was made on Sunday, and the specific allegations of neglect and abuse were made by CPS after Willow was found and the brother's confession. I don't how it works but perhaps an investigation was opened based on NG's families concerns and then the allegations added later as part of the CPS investigation.

DCFS would determine if it was neglect, abuse, both and who would be investigated, not the caller. Since Mom and the Uncle were the only two adults in the home at the time Willow went missing, they would be the starting point of an investigation by DCFS....imo.

We don't know what time the call was reported to DCFS. It may have not been until late Sunday evening.

http://fox2now.com/2013/09/12/willo...ive-custody-mother-uncle-under-investigation/
A report to DCFS regarding the child was called in on Sunday Sept, 8th.
I think it is safe to assume LE questioned both Mom and the Uncle first thing once they received the 911 call because they were the only two adults in the house at the time Willow allegedly went missing.

IIRC, we heard news reports Willow and her Mom argued and Willow left; Mom was up with both children between 7 - 8:30 before laying down for a nap and when she got up 2 hours later, Willow was gone; Willow was wearing a purple tee shirt. We now know none of this is true.

What did the Uncle tell DCFS in his first interview with them? I am guessing not the same story Mom told them.

LE's hinky meters had to be red flagging after interviewing Mom and Uncle. I bet they knew early on this was not going to have a good outcome, but would not make their concerns public without evidence.

I believe LE called DCFS and I am leaning towards the call was made late in the day Sunday.

jmo

I think I missed it with these threads going so fast, when is JD due in court again?

I spoke about a CHIPS report on the other page and was questioned about it by the verufied CPS person.

Child abuse and neglect are very difficult to have investigated. Many thngs that people have talked about on here would not get a visit from CPS where I live.

A CHIPS report is one where there are concerns. The parents seem to let the children run around mthe neighborhood with no supervision at late hours. The child wanders away from the home. The child has said the parent slapped them.

An incident by itself could indicate not much. But, if CPS gets many reports about issues that are not in the best interest of a child, they can indicate that although each incident by itself is not of a big concern, there are enough incidents that may indicate a parent is in over his/her head and the child is at risk.

As I said, that is why it is important to report if you feel a child is at risk. Your report may be the one where the family is given intervention. The goal where I live is nit to take children away, but rather work on issues that may be affecting caregiving.

Most parents love their children, but they make bad choices or their lives are so chaotic, that they need some interventions to get back on track.

I only know these things because I am a mandated reporter, not because I am. CPS.

I would get trained once a year in reporting. Many of us were frustrated be ause we feel that there is not enough intervention. I cannot remember all of the thngs, but some thing that stuck in my mind is that a filthy house is not enough for intervention. It has to be life threatening, not just utterly disgusting. Animal feces on the floor are not acceptable because of disease possiblity.

Anyway, it is not as obvious as it would seem.

<modsnip> Because, mandated reporter or not, (and everyone is technically a mandated reporter), what you are describing IS cause for a CPS response. I've never heard of "multiple reports" having to be made prior to a CPS investigation. A filthy house is considered neglect. Animal feces on the floor is considered neglect. Children running around unsupervised would be neglect. All of those complaints would be assessed as a screened in report and CPS would respond.
The "goal" of CPS is not to remove children in ANY case unless there is eminent risk and even then, court approval is required and the goal is to reunite the parents and children.

I think I missed it with these threads going so fast, when is JD due in court again?

Grand Jury for JD's case is to meet next Wednesday, September 18, 2013 ...

JD's next court date is next Thursday, September 19, 2013....

HTH...:seeya:

Sept 19th. It's in the video of the memorial posted up thread.

HTH

By the way... SheWhoMustNot BeNamed...

I often accidentally press your name under the title/pages when getting into cases on threads which you have started... My fat fingers press the wrong place...

Soooo... It may look like I am checking into your Public Profile a lot!

But rest assured... I am NOT stalking you! :what:

:D

By the way... SheWhoMustNot BeNamed...

I often accidentally press your name under the title/pages when getting into cases on threads which you have started... My fat fingers press the wrong place...

Soooo... It may look like I am checking into your Public Profile a lot!

But rest assured... I am NOT stalking you! :what:

:D

I hate when that happens. My computer also does some crazy things where the screen scrolls up or down causing me to hit something I do not want to hit.

I hate when that happens. My computer also does some crazy things where the screen scrolls up or down causing me to hit something I do not want to hit.

Totally... me too! :eek:nline:

:)

Not sure if this has anything to do with the case, but worth a mention...

WCIA 3 News

Around 7:30 this morning police responded to a call on Fourth and Jefferson in Effingham. Police found a deceased male body in the bushes. The investigation is ongoing. We will have an update on this story as it continues to develop.

bbm...huh?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/sep/15/us-child-death-charges/

While an estimated time of Willow's death based on the condition of her body hasn't been released, her mother's version appears to contradict DeRyke's account that the girl already was dead when the mother claimed to have seen her.

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local/x1253345013/Longs-brother-taken-into-custody-after-abuse-report

Meanwhile, Effingham County officials are waiting for final autopsy results to find out the exact time of Long's death.

It's sometime between 10:30 and 11 p.m. Saturday," said Effingham County State's Attorney Bryan Kibler.

Kibler said the amount of evidence taken by police and volunteers, as well as the circumstances of the crime are causing the longer wait for the exact information about the death. A full autopsy, which includes full toxicology, generally takes between four to six weeks, he added.

<modsnip> Because, mandated reporter or not, (and everyone is technically a mandated reporter), what you are describing IS cause for a CPS response. I've never heard of "multiple reports" having to be made prior to a CPS investigation. A filthy house is considered neglect. Animal feces on the floor is considered neglect. Children running around unsupervised would be neglect. All of those complaints would be assessed as a screened in report and CPS would respond.
The "goal" of CPS is not to remove children in ANY case unless there is eminent risk and even then, court approval is required and the goal is to reunite the parents and children.

Thank you for your professional insight and clarity. I have thought all along that someone in the bio Dad's family or LE reported it.
Didn't I read on an earlier thread that LE thought there was something amiss from the beginning, even though they reported no foul play to the press? Heck, it could have even been another case.

I missed most of this thread yesterday while I was at a funeral, any major new developments?

I had to turn someone into CPS once for leaving her 18 month daughter alone for a nap while she smoked pot while off screwing her boyfriend repeatly( I had proof) and they never took her daughter away. She never knew it was me, I had too, My Mother witnessed it, either I called or she did. It was very involved, my boyfriend and her husband were involved in real estate, this had to come out, and she was endangering Lindsey everyday she left her to see her b/f and F. She told me what she did. She didn't even know who was the father of the baby she was carring, she lost the baby. It was harder to take her husband and explain to him what I knew than call CPS. But they never took Lindsey away. I think maybe Larry did, they moved. I never regretted what I did. They were good friends in many ways, her neighbor was an alcoholic idiot who I hated, who abused his family, but had the most awesome young family who I befriended, who survived the abuse, who babysat for me, who I trusted, who never harmed my kids, Janet and Dawn, I only called the cops once, on their father, actually from Julie's house, the house that I called Cps on, because I was comming home from a wedding a he was screaming bloody murder from across the street.What a night that was. Never mind the twins were wonderful. They live in Fl. somewhere. You can get good babysitters, can be family, neighbores. I had a drunkards abusive daughter babysit for my kids, How did I know they wouldn't abuse my kids? This was back in the mid 80's. Because they just didn't, if I seen a mark on my kids and told Steve he would have beat them.

I'll shut up, ugh the anger........ I ran into him, Steve, about 12-13 yrs later, I had another daughter, he had quit drinking,remarried, had 2 more kids, found God, and started coaching basketball, which my daughter decided to take. He was the coach. I know he recognize me and I him. I was so discusted, all I could do was stare at him and remember his terror on his family. But I had seen Dawn since then and she was ok with things. But I always looked at him at the practices when he was there as , I know what you did, your kids will hurt forever, why is your new family better better? We should have called CPS on them. But we did call cops on them that night and Steve wouldn't let them answer the door. This was back in the 80's. Boy do I ramble or what?:rockon:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back