IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome! :) It was rumored that LS had refriended JW on Facebook, possibly in the days before she disappeared. I think he thanked her (on FB) for friending him?

And someone, supposedly JW's roommate, posted on another forum that JW was staying in Bton (although he had already graduated), so he and LS could drive back to NY together after she finished her class at Ivy Tech.

Did they give a specific date?

What was the significance of June 2 or June 3 (or was there any particular significance)?

Maybe someone was leaving town, and that was the reason for the first get-together (that is, watching the game)?

Did they give a specific date?

What was the significance of June 2 or June 3 (or was there any particular significance)?

Maybe someone was leaving town, and that was the reason for the first get-together (that is, watching the game)?

Sorry I don't know date of facebook friending- never saw LS's fb page. Maybe there's a screen grab somewhere? Someone who saw her page posted that JW had thanked her for adding him back. I seem to recall it was within a few days before her disappearance, but I might be wrong!

I'm just looking through some of the pictures again, then started focusing on the road works - what type of road works were they doing? Was any sort of foundation work being done or cement being laid out?

Good catch, scary thought!

Do you have a link? TIA

I found it earlier on the herald times online. Look for the list of videos in the lower, right corner of the screen. I'm on iPhone and have little time right now to find link.

Do we know if landfill search is on-going at this time? Any media following it?

Lauren's mom has just about reached Desiree Young status for me, as far as my wanting a mom to have the answers they need...

Lauren's mom has just about reached Desiree Young status for me, as far as my wanting a mom to have the answers they need...

I havent seen it mentioned all day!

I think that one of the articles posted recently about the beginning of the landfill search specified that the airspace above the landfill, or at least the area where searchers were active, was being designated a no-fly zone, including for media helicopters.

Gabby, are you referring to the HT video or another one? Do you know at about what point Mr. Spierer says, "Your, your . . .?" Thanks

Yes, it was the HT video. I'm sorry but I don't recall the approx. time. I believe Mom speaks first, then Dad. Mom interrupts Dad to interject, "friend"....

I see CS being quick, not abrupt, in her reply and I see a somewhat pained smile on her face, not sarcasm, after she says "friend".

Since I didn't notice anything beyond face value in the recent video when CS filled in the word "friend" for her husband, I watched it again. IMO RS was simply trying to come up with a collective word that would address all students returning for the fall, most of whom don't know her personally. Saying a string of words to fit all levels of a relationship is difficult in the moment and "co-student" as he said fits the situation but it doesn't communicate warmth befitting LS.

I just don't think they are using this video to send "coded" messages to POI. It has a different quality to it that.

I agree about the lack of coded message. I didn't think it was a coded message either. I thought it was just a quick reaction, though I hinted sarcasm, that IMO just came out naturally.

Here is what I hear on the HT video (a better mic would have helped a lot, HT):

Mr. Spierer in response to a question about students coming back, says (1:10-1:31 on video): "Well, obviously, the first message is that Lauren or a [Mrs. Spierer interjects "friend"] and co-student is still missing and we need your help to find her. Any piece of information, however small, we need that help."

Then Mrs. Spierer talks about any rumor, anything having to do with Lauren, could be the piece of the puzzle that leads to finding her.

Then Mr. Spierer says: "Lauren's disappearance is puzzling but we know that someone knows the facts around her disappearance and that's what's so terribly frustrating and heart-wrenching for us and everyone that knows her. We can't get that one person to find the courage to come forward."
(emphasis mine)

So, from this, I believe Mr. Spierer was referring to Lauren at the 1:10 mark, not one of the POI's, and Mrs. Spierer is trying to help him find the word that encompasses who Lauren is to students. Maybe she uses the word "friend" to target the POI's, I don't know, but it doesn't sound like it to me.

The second part of the quote indicates that the Spierers and LE must believe that ONE person knows and that person will not tell them anything. All this time, all this heartache, when SOMEONE knows. How incredibly frustrating and maddening that would be. Those poor people.

And, a little off topic, don't you think Lauren looks a lot like her mom?

The Spierers are incredibly strong people.

And one more thing, the second quote above indicates that all the POI's don't know, just one. And it seems that LE and the Spierers know who the person who knows is. (How's that for good sentence structure?!)

Latest landfill search report in the Herald Times - today at about 5:30

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/08/18/news.qp-8914954.sto

no real news - and I don't really expect any because they said there would be no press conferences at the landfill.

they continue to expect the search to take about 2 weeks.

When I clicked your link, I couldn't read the full story without a subscription.

I agree that there won't be much news until LE and the FBI have completed their search. Even if they find a body, they will probably keep digging for evidence.

I believe I read the the garbage is 20-feet deep. Can you imagine?

Mr. Spierer in response to a question about students coming back, says (1:10-1:31 on video): "Well, obviously, the first message is that Lauren or a [Mrs. Spierer interjects "friend"] and co-student is still missing and we need your help to find her. Any piece of information, however small, we need that help."

Then Mrs. Spierer talks about any rumor, anything having to do with Lauren, could be the piece of the puzzle that leads to finding her.

Then Mr. Spierer says: "Lauren's disappearance is puzzling but we know that someone knows the facts around her disappearance and that's what's so terribly frustrating and heart-wrenching for us and everyone that knows her. We can't get that one person to find the courage to come forward."
(emphasis mine)

So, from this, I believe Mr. Spierer was referring to Lauren at the 1:10 mark, not one of the POI's, and Mrs. Spierer is trying to help him find the word that encompasses who Lauren is to students. Maybe she uses the word "friend" to target the POI's, I don't know, but it doesn't sound like it to me.

The second part of the quote indicates that the Spierers and LE must believe that ONE person knows and that person will not tell them anything. All this time, all this heartache, when SOMEONE knows. How incredibly frustrating and maddening that would be. Those poor people.

And, a little off topic, don't you think Lauren looks a lot like her mom?

The Spierers are incredibly strong people.

And one more thing, the second quote above indicates that all the POI's don't know, just one. And it seems that LE and the Spierers know who the person who knows is. (How's that for good sentence structure?!)

They do look a lot alike, and their voices sound very similar to me, too. :)

I agree about the lack of coded message. I didn't think it was a coded message either. I thought it was just a quick reaction, though I hinted sarcasm, that IMO just came out naturally.

I believe the word "friend" has taken on a whole second meaning for the Spierers in the last two months. Maybe it is impossible to say the word without a hint of sarcasm.

Could it be they hesitated "your, your..." and wanted to say boyfriend? Yet, inserted "friend," because they knew more of what was going on in their relationship that we do?

In this case, the word "friend" refers to Lauren. Addressing the returning students, her father said, "Lauren, your friend ..."

This statement was not sarcastic, but rather sincerely to referring to LS's feeling of friendship for both particular individuals and the IU community in general.

Hard to imagine that anyone could fail to respond to such a heart-breaking appeal.

Thank you for transcribing the quote. My interpretation is "... Lauren [who is] your friend and co-student is still missing ..."

Mr. Spierer in response to a question about students coming back, says (1:10-1:31 on video): "Well, obviously, the first message is that Lauren, your [Mrs. Spierer interjects "friend"] and co-student is still missing and we need your help to find her. Any piece of information, however small, we need that help."

The first thought I had when seeing the photos was: These are for the parents of the POI.

You bring up a good point. And this is something that has bothered me from the beginning.

I wonder what what the Spierers' relationships are now like with their own peers and acquaintances; that would be the parents of the POI.

It's difficult for me to imagine that they do not know or at least have a passing relationship with some of these folks. Same geographical location. Same socio-economic status. Same faith. Same summer camps. Same universities.

Some of the POIs and friends have known Lauren since childhood (summer camp). JW and LS were reportedly dating for at least two years. Did the parents meet???

And the odd connection w/ JR. His grandmother lived on the same road as ? (sorry senior moment? Either the Spierers or a Spierer relative). So if they didn't know each other, they probably knew of each other.

It's a small world, and this is a close-knit group.

I hope Mr. Spierer can hold it together on their trip back to NY this week. I think if LS was my daughter I'd be tempted to smack some heads. Grrrrrr. :banghead:

You bring up a good point. And this is something that has bothered me from the beginning.

I wonder what what the Spierers' relationships are now like with their own peers and acquaintances; that would be the parents of the POI.

It's difficult for me to imagine that they do not know or at least have a passing relationship with some of these folks. Same geographical location. Same socio-economic status. Same faith. Same summer camps. Same universities.

Some of the POIs and friends have known Lauren since childhood (summer camp). JW and LS were reportedly dating for at least two years. Did the parents meet???

And the odd connection w/ JR. His grandmother lived on the same road as ? (sorry senior moment? Either the Spierers or a Spierer relative). So if they didn't know each other, they probably knew of each other.

It's a small world, and this is a close-knit group.

I hope Mr. Spierer can hold it together on their trip back to NY this week. I think if LS was my daughter I'd be tempted to smack some heads. Grrrrrr. :banghead:

LS and JW met at summer camp, but which of the other POIs did she know since childhood?

As far as I know, the connection with most of these people is that they are Jewish. This means you might have higher odds in knowing friends of friends via "Jewish geography" and summer camps, for sure. but it doesn't mean much more than that. I doubt the Spierers would have known the parents of the key POI since they are from Michigan and Indiana.

LS and JW met at summer camp, but which of the other POIs did she know since childhood?

As far as I know, the connection with most of these people is that they are Jewish. This means you might have higher odds in knowing friends of friends via "Jewish geography" and summer camps, for sure. but it doesn't mean much more than that. I doubt the Spierers would have known the parents of the key POI since they are from Michigan and Indiana.

Per the TOS, you'll have to play "Six Degrees" on your own.

But let's focus on JW for a moment since that's a given (?) and is OK to discuss.

Have the Spierers and the Ws met??? And if so, will they see each other this week?

I would pay $1K to be a fly on the wall for that meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod