IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he is going to graduate school?

That was my assumption...

Now.. the fact that these boys all pre-registered doesn't really mean anything because that happened prior to LS being missing. BUT if they don't cancel registration they're still responsible for tuition payment... so I would THINK that if they weren't coming back IU would know about it by now.

The story did say that IU doesn't actually consider them "enrolled" until the first day of classes, but I can't imagine that there's not some penalty for a late disenrollment! And even though these kids come from big $$, their families didn't get that way by throwing money away on unnecessary fees.

so.. the FB LSCS page has a complete c/p of Tr's report about the HT/AB sighting at the state fair. I guess LA-S finds it perfectly acceptable to take info from this forum and post it over there. That just seems wrong to me.

So, HT has a temper?

Her Twitter pic which I have a copy of is of her with one arm raised as she slams a shot of alcohol. She titled it "rage."

While I don't know what the import of that conclusion would be, her (purported) action seems like an ordinary reaction to an unwanted advance.

OR that she's a snarky b(*^h and wanted to show him who's boss...

OR that she really doesn't want to be seen in a public display of affection with him -- which just might "out" their relationship (if one exists)

Sorry for my messed up posts tonight and double quotes. I don't have full functionality of WS site for some reason. Later, gators.

OR that she really doesn't want to be seen in a public display of affection with him -- which just might "out" their relationship (if one exists)

Sure. Assuming she knows she's being watched after leaving the tent. Tr. indicates that her objection was to being identified more than being identified together.

I think that's true of students nearly everywhere. It's hard to get the credits they need in 4 years.

But I thought I had read that JW graduated -- perhaps it simply said he was a senior.... hmmmm...

IU lets you participate in graduation even if you're a few credits short. Not sure if that's the case here or not, but its not out of the norm at all for someone to finish up taking a few classes that they needed after graduation.

There is absolutely no way it would be possible to get medical proof of CR's memory loss or lack thereof. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did have a black out, although I don't necessarily believe it was due to a punch to the head.

Bingo. HT was angry at AB for confirming Tr.'s suspicions about her identity. Not quite sure why she would then yell his name, but I like the way you are thinking, sv614.

I'd wager HT is fairly impulsive. He outed her, in return she outed him.

That was my assumption...

Now.. the fact that these boys all pre-registered doesn't really mean anything because that happened prior to LS being missing. BUT if they don't cancel registration they're still responsible for tuition payment... so I would THINK that if they weren't coming back IU would know about it by now.

The story did say that IU doesn't actually consider them "enrolled" until the first day of classes, but I can't imagine that there's not some penalty for a late disenrollment! And even though these kids come from big $$, their families didn't get that way by throwing money away on unnecessary fees.

Just saw this post and everything you say is perfectly logical except undergrads are NOT logical or responsible. I teach undergrad students at a fairly major university and the policy here (which may be different at other places, but wouldn't be that different) is that if you do not withdraw yourself you do owe. You do not have to pay immediately though so the bill may come or collections may start weeks after the semester starts. They threaten to drop you if you don't pay here, but they never do.
Tons of students have no idea that they are not automatically dropped from classes if they never show up. It makes me angry because I do not feel like someone who never shows up should be forced to pay. I have even been a nosy person and emailed students enrolled in my classes that never show up. I cannot drop them by myself, but if they drop by a certain date they either don't owe at all or owe a lot less.
On a more personal level, my parents paid for at least three semesters for my brother that he never showed up for, but was still charged for the classes. Probably a bad choice on their part to bail him out of bad decisions multiple times, but it isn't unfathomable to me that other parents may make the same decision.

Sorry for a very long post that is probably only mildly relevant, but I wish I could tell all undergrads that universities can and will charge you for classes that you do not physically withdraw yourself from. Not showing up and not paying the bill beforehand will not withdraw you unless you have one of the better universities with a fair policy.

Anyway, I do think it is within the realm of possibility that some people signed up, didn't withdraw, yet won't be showing up. For that reason, I will be interested to see whose butts are actually in classroom seats the first week of class.

Edit just to say I love my undergrads dearly and some are very responsible and logical. I just don't think it clicks for a lot of them that you do have to withdraw from classes formally and, of course, universities love that because they can charge people for services never given. It is just frustrating to me on a professional level to see students getting nailed financially for something they may not entirely understand or be mistaken about.

I don't know why undergraduates would be thinking they will be dropped if they don't show up. Some of the classes have hundreds of students. The professor won't even know they are not in class. And never mind some students might rarely come to class but don't want to be dropped.

I don't know why undergraduates would be thinking they will be dropped if they don't show up. Some of the classes have hundreds of students. The professor won't even know they are not in class. And never mind some students might rarely come to class but don't want to be dropped.

Magic. No, honestly I don't know. It is one of the mysteries of university life for me. Every semester I get students who are going to be absent the first day or second day of class asking me not to drop them...like I care or actually have the power to randomly drop people from my classes because they don't show up one day :waitasec:

My son goes to CalPoly... and if you don't show up on the first day of class you are automatically dropped from the class. Students on the waiting list can crash the first week of classes and pick up the empty seats.

With so many schools having waiting lists for classes, it seems pretty stupid to not require withdrawal at least x number of days from when classes begin, so that people on the waiting list can take the class.

Per the Herald Times article, tuition was due August 10 for those who pre-registered. The spokesman for IU could not comment on who had paid their tuition for fall term. I'd say not... sees like even saying they're registered for fall might be a FERPA violation...

Bloom-I really prefer that policy-seems fairer and makes more sense. It is the one I would support my current university to follow.

It does seem invasive to know they registered, but I sort of hope we get more info too ha ha. Surely, we will know who actually shows up for classes.

I don't think the person who said "friends of the boyfriend" was a friend of the boyfriend, unless it was HT, who does not like CR, and who, apparently, is friends with ZO. And this fight did occur on the 5th floor of SW, where DB, HT and LS lived.

I think there's truth in both stories of why ZO punched CR.

It may have been coincidental that ZO and company were on the 5th floor when CR and LS got off the elevator. The punch could have been a knee-jerk reaction to CR being with another guys girl. Though I'm thinking the rumor of LS's loose talk at the bar is what fueled ZO's temper in the first place.

I'm curious to know why ZO was on the 5th floor to begin with. I'm hesitant to believe they were lying in wait.

Does any know what floor DR lived on? It has been implied that he's a supplier as well - thus the reason he and LS went to JR's after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member