IN - Three-year-old survives dog attack

JBean is the one who is looking after her sons pitt.

I have had 2 sweet pits in the past. But I think you have me confused with someone else. I stand behind how I feel 100%. I will fight for these dogs until I no longer breathe.

And that's your choice. I happen to favour children (ok grown ups too) and them not having to live in society where we have animals that rip them to shreads just for the sport.

indy, i am sure your pits were sweet and you loved them very much. but it does not take away from the facts, that they are very prone to being vicious killers... much more so than other breeds. defend them all you want, it doesn't change the hard cold facts, of their physical characteristics and their genetics.. what they are capable of, and the horrible things they do, quite often.

and no, this is not a vast, evil media conspiracy that's just 'picking on them' either.

JBean is the one who is looking after her sons pitt.

Ah thanks Dingo. I adore JBean and mean no offense but the pit is what it is and it's only a matter of time before something will be done.

Anyhoo it's friday and time to get dinner on the table.

Jubie

jubie-- exactly.
and just for that record, i will fight to BAN these dogs until i no longer breathe. people have the basic human right to live in a safe society, where they will not be randomly attakced and torn to shreds by a 4-legged killing machine.. when they are just minding their own business!!!!!!!!!
but just wait.. this will just keep happening more and more until people get fed up enough that they will take action.. and the bans will continue to be passed. so you wait and see.

and just for the record.... i DO love animals for the most part. and i do feel bad for those pits who ARE sweet and nice and would not hurt a fly (at least they haven't YET). it's sad, that so many idiots and so many evil dogs have ruined it for the good ones. but i don't see any other solution. i have heard WAY too many stories of sweet, lovable pits WHO WERE RAISED WITH LOVE from puppyhood... who all of a sudden one day, out of the blue, snapped, attacked and killed the dog that they lived with, or a person, or another animal walking down the street.... too many. and of course i blame stupid humans for breeding them to be this way in the first place. but unfortunately it isn't legal to euthanize stupid humans, so we have to do something about the dogs,, because the problem has gotten WAY out of control.
in other words.. i love dogs in general, but i hate that dogs have been mutated by humans, into THIS. sharks are cool creatures too, but even if they could breathe out of water, it wouldn't be legal to walk with one down the street, would it.....???

disclaimer- to all who own a PB that they adore, i definitely appreciate those of you who keep them muzzled and keep them monitored at all times.. but god, i would hate to have a dog like that.. what a liability. but at least you are being responsible. unfortunately, most pit owners are NOT this way. and even if you ARE responsible... what happens when they break off their chain or get out of the yard? ....then what???

jubie-- exactly.
and just for that record, i will fight to BAN these dogs until i no longer breathe. people have the basic human right to live in a safe society, where they will not be randomly attakced and torn to shreds by a 4-legged killing machine.. when they are just minding their own business!!!!!!!!!

Then after you ban the pits which breed will be next. There will always be dog bites.

We,re talking about more than a dog which bites.....we are talking about dogs that maim and kill.

german shepherds were bred to be all-purpose working dogs-- guarding, police/military work, or search and resuce... not dogs who fight and kill for sport. one of the qualities they are known for, that has been bred into them for generations.. is to attack and release on command and to be highly obedient... not to go beserk and tear apart the nearest living thing to shreds like a tasmanian devil... and to not let go even when someone's banging their head with a steel pipe. how many stories to hear from people about being mauled and killed by a german shepherd in their own yard, or walking down the street? yeah,, exactly. not too often. with pit bulls it's getting to be something one a week.. and that's only the ones that make the national news.

in fact someone should start a website to document these cases and their increasing frequency.

indy, no one said there will not 'always be dog bites'. that is not what we're talking about here.

This is getting ridicilous but anyway......the German Shepard breed has done far more good for the human race than the Pitbull will ever do.
Show me a link to a death by German Shepard and Ill show you 5 to a death by Pittbull.

I'm glad you love them, Indy, and I don't blame this breed for what it's become, so to speak, but I feel like it's only a matter of time before they are banned.

The mom of one of my 6-year-old son's classmates has four of them. She's an intelligent professional woman and I'm sure her dogs are well-trained. I'm know she believes they wouldn't hurt a fly and chances are they never will.

But I would never in a million years let my son play over there. Why take the risk?

Most well-trained pit bulls may be gentle as lambs, but the fact remains that this breed is responsible for a hugely disproportionate amount of canine/human maulings and killings.

I wish I could tell you, or make you understand what I saw that day. I saw a small little boy with blond hair, blood all over him. Hunks of flesh torn out to the bone, huge gaping wounds and tears. Large areas of his little buttocks and thighs missing. He was in shock and so was every one else around him. Imagine my cousin standing there looking at her youngest son, not being able to even touch him he was in so much pain. This was Christmas day, and we were supposed to be going over to give the boys their gifts. Instead we spent hours waiting for 2 plastic surgeons to come out and tell us if he was even going to live. Spending days in the ICU waiting room, waiting and hoping he would be the child we all adored with our hearts and soul. He was our Thomas James, the cutie pie that did not say much when he was younger, he just did not have much to say about anything. He was always the quiet one that loved everyone so much. The one with the big hugs, toothless grin. He was the one at three that loved all the little girls on the block. The angel with the huge hazel eyes with eyelashes that all the girls wish we had. He could work all of with his eyes they are so beautiful. God Blessed us and saved him. He was a strong little boy and went forward with his life. His love of animals helped him to over come his terror. Which to this day I still find so amazing.

Please everyone until you have seen what I saw that day you cannot even imagine what a animal can do to a human. I love dogs so much and hate to see any animal abused or destroyed for no reason. It breaks my heart.

Please just know that you, that have these dogs they can turn. I beg you to please be careful. I pray that you never spend a day in a waiting room to see if someone you love so very much is going to live. I have not seen a dog yet that is worth the life of any human being even as much as I love mine.

FYI-My dad died 15 months before this happened. Thomas has told us from the time he first woke up in ICU that Uncle James was with him. He asked us where Uncle James was before he was totally awake. So, if you have always believed in Angels this should help you see your faith is real.
TJ and my dad were good buds and he was there to help his special "pardner" when he needed him the most. God Bless everyone!

wow... TX sassybelle.. how utterly heartbreaking.. but how wonderful also that he survived.. and he overcame such a horrific experience. may i ask, what ever became of the dogs and their owners?

there is good reason, when i go to the dog park, why i take my dogs and go quickly in the opposite direction.. when i see a pit bull coming our way. whether it's being walked by some tough guy or a well-meaning older lady, or a young tattooed couple... doesn't matter-- i'm not taking any chances. actually there is a park nearby that is strictly for dogs, but we don't go there anymore.. i've heard to many stories of,, guess what? pit bulls causing trouble and attacking other dogs.

German Shepards come to mind.

When I was 9 years old I was at a church picnic at a friend's house. They had the most awesome German Shepard ever. He loved kids and we loved him! All of us were sitting on the deck and he came up to one of my friends, a little boy a few years younger than me. He started to eat off of the boy's plate and the little boy put the plate in his lap. I watched as the German Shepard attacked my friend and tore half of his face off. I have never seen so much blood in my life and I remember the screams and the parents running to tear the dog off my friend to this day. He had hundreds of stiches in his face and never looked the same. All dogs are unpredictable (heck, even my 10 pound min pin Taffy could get persnickity!) and can be provoked given the right circumstances.

wow... TX sassybelle.. how utterly heartbreaking.. but how wonderful also that he survived.. and he overcame such a horrific experience. may i ask, what ever became of the dogs and their owners?

there is good reason, when i go to the dog park, why i take my dogs and go quickly in the opposite direction.. when i see a pit bull coming our way. whether it's being walked by some tough guy or a well-meaning older lady, or a young tattooed couple... doesn't matter-- i'm not taking any chances. actually there is a park nearby that is strictly for dogs, but we don't go there anymore.. i've heard to many stories of,, guess what? pit bulls causing trouble and attacking other dogs.

Hi honey...The dogs were brought into the pound and one of them managed to escape. The other one was put down, and they finally managed to locate the other one and he was put down.

The family that owned them were treated horribly by everyone that lived near them. They threatened to burn them out. They finally packed up
and left. Not a clue where they went.

Thomas is doing well, and living in Kentucky now. He has a little boy named Gage that just turned 4. He is a happy, well adjusted young man.
Still has those beautiful eyes that just do his Aunt "D" in...LOL:blowkiss:

OK.. so there's one. and wow, that's bad. it's not even like the poor kid was provoking him... or took food away from the dog.... unless the dog percieved it that way (that it was his food first).

i wonder if the dog had food issues before this? you know how they do that test on dogs at the pound,, before releasing them into adoption (or, they're supposed to anyway).. to see if they have food issues.. and if they do, they have to euthanize them... i wonder if the owners knew there were signs of aggression before, but just didn't think too much of it, or if the dog was totally perfect and then snapped at that instant?

anyway.. that's horrible........

OK.. so there's one. and wow, that's bad. it's not even like the poor kid was provoking him... or took food away from the dog.... unless the dog percieved it that way (that it was his food first).

i wonder if the dog had food issues before this? you know how they do that test on dogs at the pound,, before releasing them into adoption (or, they're supposed to anyway).. to see if they have food issues.. and if they do, they have to euthanize them... i wonder if the owners knew there were signs of aggression before, but just didn't think too much of it, or if the dog was totally perfect and then snapped at that instant?

It was SO random, we had no idea! He was the type that just trotted along and played with us when we went to this family's house. I have no idea where they got him, but do remember they had him since he was a pup.

Anyway, the food test is something some, not all pounds do. That's a tricky one and as someone who has worked in rescue, I'm not sure I agree with it as a case for being put to sleep in every circumstance. I've seen half starved dogs who are very protective of their food, so we just make sure to place them in a home that understands that insecurity. I've seen little bitty dogs up to huge ones who will give you the "eye" if you get too close to that food bowl. This is not to be confused with those who attack if you come within a 3 feet radius while there is food in the bowl.

In any case, yes, sad, horribly sad. It is thankfully, the only serious dog fight I have ever seen with the exception of a lab that attacked my husband's chihuahua for no reason. :(

wow... a very, very lucky fellow.. and i'm glad the family was treated they way they were. as they should be!! i believe in the respecting law for the most part but sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands (...within reason) because LE just won't do anything! (not that i've ever had to, knock on wood.) i am so sick of seeing PB owners whose dog has just mauled someone have this "oops, well, that ain't my fault!" attitude and get away with it.... for some reason they so rarely have a sense of responsibility or remorse.. probably because most of them have the dogs BECAUSE they are killers, so they are just doing what they want them to do.

anyway.. i'm glad your nephew is doing well~! and... the story of your dad being there to watch over him... how amazing is that.....?????

Thomas had gone over to play with the little boy that had the dogs. He had a new basketball he had gotten for Christmas. The parents of the little boy had left, not for sure where. The boys were playing with the ball by the dogs that were behind a three foot fence. They just went over the fence and started mauling Thomas. Thomas did not pick at animals he had ton of his own at home. They lived in the country, but the houses were close enough the neighbor could hear Thomas screaming. He grabbed a shovel, said he would knock the dogs back several feet and they would go right back to mauling him. The man finally managed to help Tom get over the fence and took him to his house, then he sent his wife to get Eddie and Kathy after he called for an ambulance. The Sheriff showed up and had the dog pound came to get them.

The dogs had gotten out and killed a neighbor's calf a couple of weeks before this all happened with Thomas. Those dogs should have been destroyed that day!

Thomas to this day still remembers Daddy being there with him. That story makes my heart soar.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1
Back