IN - Three-year-old survives dog attack

olivia.. good point about the starved dogs... that could definitely scar them for life... but i guess the hard reality is that it's a liability thing.. for whatever reason they are food aggressive, if they bite someone it's going to be a bad thing, and they might be sued... animals pounds are far from perfect, but i guess it's the best we can do, unless there was much more funding. better than letting them run wild in the streets like in some other countries, all mangy and diseased, only to get tortured, shot or hit by a car (or, eaten!)

It was SO random, we had no idea! He was the type that just trotted along and played with us when we went to this family's house. I have no idea where they got him, but do remember they had him since he was a pup.

Anyway, the food test is something some, not all pounds do. That's a tricky one and as someone who has worked in rescue, I'm not sure I agree with it as a case for being put to sleep in every circumstance. I've seen half starved dogs who are very protective of their food, so we just make sure to place them in a home that understands that insecurity. I've seen little bitty dogs up to huge ones who will give you the "eye" if you get too close to that food bowl. This is not to be confused with those who attack if you come within a 3 feet radius while there is food in the bowl.

In any case, yes, sad, horribly sad. It is thankfully, the only serious dog fight I have ever seen with the exception of a lab that attacked my husband's chihuahua for no reason. :(

My little nut yorkied cornered a dane one day...LOL...The dane and I had a heart attack, she was cool with it.

hehe!! and knowing most great danes,, he probably just stood there cowering, all goofy and scared.....

olivia.. good point about the starved dogs... that could definitely scar them for life... but i guess the hard reality is that it's a liability thing.. for whatever reason they are food aggressive, if they bite someone it's going to be a bad thing, and they might be sued... animals pounds are far from perfect, but i guess it's the best we can do, unless there was much more funding. better than letting them run wild in the streets like in some other countries, all mangy and diseased, only to get tortured, shot or hit by a car (or, eaten!)

That falls into my not letting irresponsible people own pets. :D I have no problem with a dog with mild food aggression, any more than I do a dog who cannot be placed in a home with cats, or vice versa. The pet owner needs to be responsible and take proper precautions to ensure no one will get hurt in the case of a mildly food aggressive dog, or a dog who hates cats or a cat who hates dogs. They are animals and not a one is perfect. Some do require more special attention than others. I don't think putting to sleep is an automatic end all cure all for what many call "special needs pets."

Here's a story for you, down the street at my local pet store there is a 25 pound surly cat. This cat is MEAN. I walked by it's cat hotel in the store and it was about shoulder level. The owner had warned me it was mean and it took a swipe at me and heavily scratched my arm - hurt like heck! I am allergic to cats too so my arm swelled up pretty bad. Anyway, the owner was fairly unapologetic. I don't think her crazed cat should be put down, but certainly shouldn't be in her STORE and I won't patronize the place again. I'm shocked she hasn't gotten cited for her wild attack cat!

Okay, sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. :p

My little nut yorkied cornered a dane one day...LOL...The dane and I had a heart attack, she was cool with it.

Taffy did the same thing about a month after I got her! Walked up to this 135 pound dog, it bent down to sniff her and she growled. The dog loped off! Funny how the little ones have the greatest attitudes. :D

OK, for the millionth time.. yeah, duh, we know pit bull are not the ONLY dogs to attack people!! hello!! but they are MOSTLY the ones who attack people, the most prone to "snapping", and the ones who are usually capable of causing the most damage.. and they are the ones who are bred to be bigger and stronger and tougher and more prone to fight to the kill, and to kill just for the heck of it.

ad the other posters have said.. IF IT WERE A PIT BULL, THE KID WOULD DEFINITELY BE DEAD.. and probably torn to shreds... i.e., she would have no face left!!! the father would have come in and he would have attacked him too. yeah, any dog can be vicious but pit bulls are about 10X more likely to be.. and more LIKELY TO DO SERIOUS DAMAGE, AND TO KILL PEOPLE AND OTHER LIVING THINGS. they are killing machines, and people have bred them specifically (physically and often mentally) to be that way.

what about this is so difficult for people to understand.....????

I understand and agree with you. I've always heard that pitbulls are more dangerous due to those huge powerful jaws. I think the whole breed should be made illegal to continue to breed so that they won't be reproduced.

Taffy did the same thing about a month after I got her! Walked up to this 135 pound dog, it bent down to sniff her and she growled. The dog loped off! Funny how the little ones have the greatest attitudes. :D

Taffy was a beautiful baby! We had a neighbor that had very bad heart problems. He had a beautiful black shepherd named Sable. She was a trained attack dog. He had told us if something ever happened to him we would not be able to reach him because Sable would kill before she would let anyone reach him. He finally went and bought a cattle prod to get her back just in case something happened. Once when they were out of town her water bowl turned over. You should have seen the hubby and I trying to get water to her over a fence. Boy O Boy that was a trip I never want to try again. Lucky we did not have our heads ripped off. She was like a stealth fighter, not a clue she was even around unless you touched her fence.

hhhmmm.. personally i prefer dogs with a little more of a finely tuned sense of who's good & who's bad... for instance my dogs will bark like crazy when someone comes around, but as soon as we let them in and they see it's a friend (or even a stranger who we are OK with)... they will turn into huge love muffins. especially our black lab mix.. i swear she can read our minds!!

as for the little mini-dogs.. yes it is so funny how they think they are such bad-asses!! LOL!

hhhmmm.. personally i prefer dogs with a little more of a finely tuned sense of who's good & who's bad... for instance my dogs will bark like crazy when someone comes around, but as soon as we let them in and they see it's a friend (or even a stranger who we are OK with)... they will turn into huge love muffins. especially our black lab mix.. i swear she can read our minds!!

My dogs are real sweet. My problem is Molly you come in the front door she is so blasted glad to see you, you need your pads and helmet on. I have tried everything I can think of to make her calm down. Geeze

I'm 100% with Indygal when it comes to bullys. I've owned several and training is key, as it is with any dog. I don't want to get in a debate since everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I did have to laugh about the story of the bullie deciding she wanted to sit on someone's lap and kiss her. That about sums up my dog. If he gets yelled at for something, he'll lay down in the laundry room and pout until you give him kisses.

We had to move in with my mom while our house was being built. We had my rottie and my female bully. she was put down in Jan. at the ripe old age of 16. Anyhoo, we had to keep my dogs seperated from her 8 lb. Yorkie because he would attack my dogs. I don't mean to laugh but it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He'd go straight for the female pit and not the male rottie. I guess he knew who the boss was. He jump on her back and bite her head and she'd shake her head and look at him like "What the HECK are you?" It was kind of sad because both of my dogs would wag their tails (or stump in the rotties case) when they saw him and he'd (the Yorkie) would just peel his lips back, snarl and attack. It always seemed to hurt my dogs feelings.

On another note, the food aggression is pretty easy to curb if it's started in puppyhood. My dogs are both completely non-food aggressive. If they're eating, I make it a point to walk over, stick my hand in their bowl and drop in something better than what they're eating. Now if someone walks by them while they're eating, they'll stop to see what you're going to give them. They're also both big people food addicts. If they get a bowl of just dog food they'll look at me like "That's it?"

OK.. so there's one. and wow, that's bad. it's not even like the poor kid was provoking him... or took food away from the dog.... unless the dog percieved it that way (that it was his food first).

i wonder if the dog had food issues before this? you know how they do that test on dogs at the pound,, before releasing them into adoption (or, they're supposed to anyway).. to see if they have food issues.. and if they do, they have to euthanize them... i wonder if the owners knew there were signs of aggression before, but just didn't think too much of it, or if the dog was totally perfect and then snapped at that instant?

anyway.. that's horrible........

not just ONE sorry but many dogs attack in unpredicable ways....NOT JUST PIT...i could really care less how you pit bull haters feel you will never make me feel the way you do and you will never see it how i see it... iw ill continue to bring out the stories of non pits sience the pit bull haters seem to only show pits attacking people

Thanks and have a great day!!

I'm 100% with Indygal when it comes to bullys. I've owned several and training is key, as it is with any dog. I don't want to get in a debate since everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I did have to laugh about the story of the bullie deciding she wanted to sit on someone's lap and kiss her. That about sums up my dog. If he gets yelled at for something, he'll lay down in the laundry room and pout until you give him kisses.

We had to move in with my mom while our house was being built. We had my rottie and my female bully. she was put down in Jan. at the ripe old age of 16. Anyhoo, we had to keep my dogs seperated from her 8 lb. Yorkie because he would attack my dogs. I don't mean to laugh but it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He'd go straight for the female pit and not the male rottie. I guess he knew who the boss was. He jump on her back and bite her head and she'd shake her head and look at him like "What the HECK are you?" It was kind of sad because both of my dogs would wag their tails (or stump in the rotties case) when they saw him and he'd (the Yorkie) would just peel his lips back, snarl and attack. It always seemed to hurt my dogs feelings.

On another note, the food aggression is pretty easy to curb if it's started in puppyhood. My dogs are both completely non-food aggressive. If they're eating, I make it a point to walk over, stick my hand in their bowl and drop in something better than what they're eating. Now if someone walks by them while they're eating, they'll stop to see what you're going to give them. They're also both big people food addicts. If they get a bowl of just dog food they'll look at me like "That's it?"

I LOVE YOU LURKER!!!!! You are my only friend here. Like I said I will continue to show more attacks by non bully breeds.

I LOVE YOU LURKER!!!!! You are my only friend here. Like I said I will continue to show more attacks by non bully breeds.

And we will continue to show attacks by pit bulls- which isn't hard at all as they happen allll the time- I'm just grateful they are banned in my state-

Im your friend....we just have a difference of opinion on this one.

Let's just all settle down here. Of COURSE there are attacks by all breeds of dogs. We don't need to have some sort of bite contest going on here at Websleuths. No one will feel better making a contest out of the misery of others just so one side can say "told you so." If I see that happening, some of you are going to hear from me personally.

Im your friend....we just have a difference of opinion on this one.

Thanks Dingo. Didnt really mean what I said about the people here....SORRY....I just get so worked up about this one subject. This is what I do every single day of my life is help these dogs because I know how good they really are. I want tougher laws and make have people have permits and there should be a law that they should be spayed/neautered. Most people dont know but I read at work the other day that out of all bull bites 83% were not fixed!!! That is a huge problem for most dogs but the people who own these dogs dont care to get them fixed. I wont go on and on I just love the breed and All animals and will help to make this place we live in better for them in one way or another. I know most of you are regulars on the pet forum as I remember your names there, so I know I am talking to a bunch of animal lovers, I just wish more people felt the way I do. I would hate for America to start banning dogs. It will only lead to the next breeds which will be way easier because it has already been done. With that said most of us have big dogs which would make me worry if my dog could be next. I have always said when a dog attacks a person the owner should in most cases be charged with Att./Murder with a deadly weapon. Let these people who over breed and such go to jail. I almost bet it would happen a lot less. Okay sorry for the long ramble. Hopefully we can all still be friends:truce: :blushing: :blushing:

I admire you Indy for standing up for what you believe in...

God forbid an attack like this should ever happen to my child. I would put the animal down myself right then and there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back