GUILTY IN - Zuhur, 4, & Zakariya Hassan, 3, found dead in closet, Indianapolis, 19 Sept 2010

Something about her face....FAS? Something tells me that she's not the first generation to massively eff up parenting in her family. :(

Well she's only been in this country for ten years. I doubt her mother was an alcoholic.

Wounded, scarred and out her mind most definately. She probably had to go through the camps. Somalia and their civil war would have a massive effect on people that lived through that.

No, no, nooooooooooo way am I excusing her. Not at all as there are many refugees that come to this country and prosper and care for their children. However, she has the three whites. The upside down eyes. Guaranteed she's out there. I don't smell a PPS defense. More a PTSD defense.

Reading this made me not be able to breathe. What a horrible, inhumane, torturous way to die. The surviving kids being locked in the closet with their deceased siblings? How do you ever overcome that?

Here's a question. People know she has five kids. They know her husband went back home. Where did she say these kids were?

No doubt she was PO'd the hubby went home and left her with five kids under the age of what? Seven?

I jumped to conclusions on the drugs...it may ultimately lead there but I had no right. I agree with Filly that the background of Somalia may impact this case-but right or wrong is pretty clear here. Unless she thought she was hiding them from rebels...which I doubt. She went next door and hung out for a really long time. I am certain the friend was plugged in to her mood-I am even more certain there was a reason the friend followed up on what happened after Farah left...

I feel like I got punched in the stomach after reading this awful story!

Those poor, poor souls. The deceased babies AND their siblings. How in Gods name will they EVER recover from being locked in that tiny closet with their dead brother and sister.

I'm praying, praying, praying

I also doubt FAS given the history we've been told. However, I was trained to look for dysmorphia and it's hard to miss with this mom's mug shot. I don't know if she suffered from malnutrition or some sort of substance exposure but she certainly has all the markers. How I wish the reproductive organs failed when there was this level of disability.

Fly free little ones.

Those poor children. I am afraid that momma gets little sympathy from me. Maybe the charges will be upgraded.

http://sify.com/news/two-us-kids-die-after-mother-locks-them-in-cupboard-for-ten-hours-news-international-kjxq4ggihcf.html

Lieutenant Jeff Duhamell said that the three surviving children are now in foster care.

"It's just a very, very sad case," The Daily Mail quoted Duhamell, as saying.

"It's one of the worst ones I've seen - to be placed in a closet approximately 18in by 6ft and a bed pushed up against it for a minimum of ten hours. We think possibly a lot longer and probably not for the first time," he added.

Farah is due to appear in court on Thursday.

'We think possibly a lot longer and probably not for the first time,'

Those poor children. May they find peace. And hopefully the remaining 3 will find a better home.

I suspect they will be handed over to the father when he returns to the country. My understanding is he was in Somalia visiting family and is on his way back. I hope they try to discern whether this was ever done while he was home and whether he was part of the neglect of these children before handing them over.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-mother-of-dead-children-in-court-092210,0,612947.story

Farah's lawyers, Jackie Butler, Mark King, and DawnMarie White issued the following statement on her behalf Wednesday:

Ebyan Farah will have no public comment in this matter, except to say she is devastated by her children's tragic deaths. She will avail herself of the criminal justice system.

Ebyan Farah hopes the media will be sensitive to the Somali community's sense of privacy and will not intrude in an effort to provide sensationalism in a manner that will ensure Ebyan Farah cannot receive a fair trial, not only in Marion County, but in the state of Indiana.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

According to the above article, everyone wants privacy. Her family issued a statement....The family of Ebyan Farah is devasted and shocked by this tragedy. Ebyan Farah's husband, uncles, friends, and the community at large would like the media to respect their privacy.

The husband who is trying to get custody of the 3 children says, through his lawyer...The family of Bursan Hassan respectfully requests its privacy be respected during this difficult time of grieving and loss. We decline any additional comment. Prayers for all family members are appreciated. Thank you

Ebyan Farah lawyer's are demanding privacy.

So, with all this 'mind your own business' going around, who fights for these two little lost babies?

I am so so sorry little ones. I am bawling right now sitting here at work. I pray no-one comes in til I can compose myself.

It is just so evil and wrong that innocents could be born to such monstrous soulless people.

I am sorry. I know this post is wishy washy but I mean for the love of all that is right and holy - what the h*ll do these mothers think having children when all they do is treat them like trash?!

I am taking a minute to go wash my face - ya'll are just gonna have to keep on top of this one for me, I don't think I have the stomach for it right now.

Her lawyers seem to have already moved into 'protect the perp' mode. Can't get a fair trial has already reared it's head. The race of a whole community was brought forth. She is a victim was illustrated with the use of words like 'devastated' and 'tragedy'. Even the media sensationalism was mentioned. Damage control at it's finest! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

These guys are right on top of this case. Ms Farah is well representated. Who speaks for the babies?

Oh that's horrible.

Farah's husband, Bursan Hassan, is currently trying to gain custody of the three remaining children. On Wednesday his lawyer said Hassan was grieving for both his children and his wife.

Did he know that his wife used to lock their children in a closet? If not, why not? They're old enough to tell. If yes, what did he do about it?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzBWcQ0htNFySpneNQTe6iakP_hQD9IDR76G1

A 7-year-old Indianapolis girl told investigators she and her siblings usually slept when barricaded in an apartment closet by their mother, but last weekend she called out for the woman to open the door after realizing her brother and sister had died, according to court documents released Thursday.

Ebyan Farah, 28, is charged with eight counts of neglect and confinement. A Marion County judge entered a preliminary not guily plea on her behalf during a brief Thursday hearing, during which Farah hung her head and looked down at the floor.

Defense attorneys requested a gag order for the case and private autopsies for Farah's 4-year-old daughter, Zuhur Farah Hassan, and 3-year-old son, Zakariya Farah Hassan.

http://www.wthr.com/story/13204662/mother-pleads-not-guilty-in-childrens-deaths

Indianapolis - The mother accused of neglect for locking her five children in a bedroom closet pleaded not guilty Thursday. Two of those children died.

Dozens of members of the local Somali community were in court to hear about the eight felony charges that have been filed against 28-year-old Ebyan Farah in connection to the deaths of two of her children, ages 3 and 4. Charges include criminal confinement and neglect resulting in death.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/marion_county/mom-accused-of-starving-children-slapped-with-new-charges

Farah told police she returned home around 4:20 p.m. to find 3-year-old Zakariya and 4-year-old Zuhar collapsed in the closet, not breathing. IMPD Sgt. Paul Thompson says it's possible the children collapsed from exhaustion, and were no longer able to breathe normally through their lungs.

The Coroner's office has not released an official cause of death for the two children. Farah's attorneys filed a motion to conduct an independent private autopsy on the children's bodies. Judge Kroh has not ruled on that motion yet.

"I understand their request for it. I don't think it's going to be meaningful. We've charged the defendant with neglect. So, whether the cause of death was asphyxiation or some other cause, it's not going to affect the outcome of the neglect charge. We did not charge murder because this was not an intentional killing," said Marion County Chief Deputy Prosecutor David Wyser after court adjourned.

Farah remains in the Marion County Jail on a $200,000 bond. She is scheduled to appear in court again on Monday morning for a hearing on a motion filed by her attorneys to reduce her bond amount.

Sweet mother of...not intentional? she INTENTIONALLY ignored her children, INTENTIONALLY put them in harms way. What exactly did she think would happen?? she would win the lotto for it?? it was intentional. this is so sick. i can't look at this thread a moment longer, but wanted to say RIP babies :(

Huh-not intentional? Well, what did she think could happen? What if there was a fire or she was hit by a bus on the way back? She pretty much guaranteed someone would get hurt, at the minimum. All of them were in danger of death. Are you telling me that it is simple neglect to leave your children locked in a closet with no food, water, no ability to use the bathroom for what was a minimum of 10 hours?

If she was devestated, she would have pled guilty imvho. If she thought she was responsible. And because the Somali community is closed, there should be no press? head shakin...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back