Interview with Maya D at Lowell...

I just read the first, maybe ten posts, so I seem to have a different take. I guess I may be gullible but I found her sincere. She seemed to me to be telling the truth. I guess I just think back to being her age and how stupid I was and what if I'd have gone along with something that would have landed me in jail (ok, I can't say I could ever imagine myself murdering anyone, but then we should never think we aren't capable of something, as if we are put in the right conditions, maybe anything is possible). And it is for God only to judge her anyway now that she's been through the justice system, a jury has judged her. And she accepts it. And didn't they say she came from ....where was it? Serbia or Bosnia? At the age of like 8? So you know that she went through h*77 b/f she even got to the US. I thought her English was pretty darn good for only being here 10? or so years. IDK....I have sympathy for her w/o forgetting that she committed a next to unforgivable act. I wish the best for her. And if she has testimony that can help put KC away for good....God Bless her. I do hope she asks for nothing in return and receives nothing in return for her testimony as that would show proof of a true act of altruism.

I think about these young girls, and not so young women, living in a box basically, void of the most common items, what would it come down to, living with yourself spiritually and what you'd done? Seems to me you could either turn into an animal or turn to the Lord. I see a peace about Maya that tells me what she says about changing is the truth. I do believe she is remorseful and I believe she gets by each day by learning, filling her time with positive things and leaning on God.
I just believe her. Period.

I also think about her victim. And the victim's family. I hope someday Maya can have a face to face visit with them or an epistolary relationship with her victim's family. How she conducts herself during that visit would be one of the true tells of if she's really changed for the better. They have a right to express their anger at her, but ultimately I hope they are able to forgive her. For their sakes, as well as hers.

JMHO

Can I just add that the picture of her(in the papers and the one hanging around her neck) looks nothing like her??? Does anyone else think that? My gosh if they ever had to look for her and were showing that picture around---they'd never find her!!!!! She was much prettier in person and looked nothing like the pics I've seen of her.

I just cant not believe the news is still following this. It is, in my opinion, quite obvious what MD is after(as well as RA), and that is leniency on their sentences. RA still has time to ask for it and MD will, come parole time. Or MD just loves RA so much, that MD will go so far as to keep embellishing her story. After all, their stories do get more and more informative with each susequent interview. I wish this case would "get to trial already". It might cut down on all this side show (and my insanity lol).

MD says that she was not offered, nor is she taking anything for her testimony. Seems to me RA would be easier to manipulate to talk about KC as she has children and misses them terribly. RA I can see making a deal for testimony as she wants to see and be with her kids asap (like any good mother). RA is suffering w/o her kids and knows they are suffering w/o her so....she'd be more open to lie for a deal than MD would IMO. Don't see it with MD though, she has no children and therefore would not be as eager or as desperate for any deal that could get her back to her children like RA. MOO.

What a beautiful post Doogiesgirl. Very well put. You have a beautiful heart.

I have to say before watching the videos "whatever" but after watching; she does come across VERY credible.

I'm sort of suprised at how quickly people are saying they don't buy her story. A couple of things to consider:

1. She has been locked up a while, and her exposure to what has been said about KC's case is limited - it's not like she has access to half of the resources we do. IMO, a lot of the things she said, I don't know that she would necessarily glean from what she saw on the news. Especially her talk of how KC never cried in her cell, and the visit to the chaplain at night - those types of things can easily be corroborated.
2. She went straight to the police about this, and it was only after KB sought her out with a letter that she came forward for an interview. We didn't hear anything about this young woman's involvement until we saw the recent letters.
3. She doesn't really have anything personally to gain by coming forward.
4. She obviously committed a horrible crime, but she was honest and turned herself in. I think this adds to her credibility. She is obviously not where she is at by lying and she seems to be in full acceptance of the fact that she must pay for her crimes and face consequences.

I agree with you. One of the many things about KC that MD said that struck me was she said that .....oh I can't remember her exact words, but basically she said that when she looked in KC's eyes, her face, there was nothing, it was void of emotion. That's very close to what the female guard at the jail said about KC....(can't remember her words either), but it was something like KC gave her the willy's as she was devoid of emotion, like there was nothing behind her eyes. Anyone else remember the female guard saying that?

So these two seperate people got the same feeling from KC===nothing there, no emotions basically. That struck me and stayed with me.

MOO

I agree with you. One of the many things about KC that MD said that struck me was she said that .....oh I can't remember her exact words, but basically she said that when she looked in KC's eyes, her face, there was nothing, it was void of emotion. That's very close to what the female guard at the jail said about KC....(can't remember her words either), but it was something like KC gave her the willy's as she was devoid of emotion, like there was nothing behind her eyes. Anyone else remember the female guard saying that?

So these two seperate people got the same feeling from KC===nothing there, no emotions basically. That struck me and stayed with me.

MOO

Almost as if no soul ever entered KC's body. There's a personality just no conscious.

In the supplementary LE report it mentions MD took a polygraph. RA is in Federal Prison and Feds would have no interest on making a deal in the KC case. If a deal were offered to RA it would have been for any drug info she could provide. My guess is that KC is just not "time off your sentence" worthy. KC's in jail for the death of one small helpless child. Illegal drugs kill thousands every year. Nope KC's small potatoes regardless of how "grandiose" she may think she is. JMO

Yes LC: "KC is a LEGEND IN HER OWN MIND"

She doesn't realize the rest of us don't want to ever read her book of lies, she thinks she is SO important. She's just another PSYCHOPATH who killed her baby.

The only book I'd pay money for is a "years down the road book" (for perspective) from a respected psychologist/psychiatrist who'd had dozens of interviews with KC over years.

My Opinions Only.

I think Maya has a great deal of credibility for a lot of the reasons already mentioned here. I did hear her say that her name was called in to CrimeStoppers, but that it was her "gang name" and not her real name. She said she was the one to go to LE and tell them that she was the person they were looking for. LE had not matched her up to her gang name.

Since we all know (reported by many of KC's friends) that KC reinvents herself to fit into what situation or personality which mirrors who she's with at the time why would we not believe KC would have "confessed" to this young woman. Maya admitted to killing another person and felt the need to come forward and confess. In KC's friendship with Maya, if true, would it be hard to believe KC would tell Maya what happened to Caylee in order to fit in. As in, you know we're "sisters" doing our time together. I really don't think it would be that much of a stretch to believe this woman. Afterall KC understood how important it was "not to talk" when she turned down visits from her family because of the videos but went ahead and wrote all those letters behind her own defense team's back. So to RA KC tried to impress that she was this loving mother who was able to forgive the person responsible for KC being in prison and taking her daughter because RA clearly is a loving, caring Mom who truly misses her children. IMO KC is her own worst enemy because she can't and won't keep her mouth shut.

I think Maya has a great deal of credibility for a lot of the reasons already mentioned here. I did hear her say that her name was called in to CrimeStoppers, but that it was her "gang name" and not her real name. She said she was the one to go to LE and tell them that she was the person they were looking for. LE had not matched her up to her gang name.

That is what I have read as well. If she had not confessed the crime would not have been solved unless one of the two men, who were there at the time, spoke up.

When she did confess she was not believed by detectives, they thought she was covering for the male gang members, and so she had to take a poly.

The only part that seemed untruthful to me was when she was saying "chlorofoam" and smiling, I am not sure KC ever actually said that part to her. The rest of it seems to me as if it is truthful. I have no idea why she would lie about "chlorofoam" but I just felt like that part was a lie or embellishment.

There are some words that some people just have a problem saying. I have none of those words I don't think? lol But I have encountered this before, where a person just cannot properly pronounce a certain word, and it seems to go on with them into later years, perhaps forever, who knows?:waitasec: To me, and mind you, this is just me, having encountered this very phenomenon before in my own experience, it looked real to me. If it wasn't real? That girl should get an Emmy or a Grammy whichever goes to best actress... Looked authentic to me. :)
Just a thought: If it is true that KC tends to change her behavior/demeanor depending on who she is trying to charm, it seems possible that she may have divulged some of her darker secrets to Maya, a pretty, young convicted murderess. Who knows?
There you go...Nail Head YOU!
KC is not completely dumb, and having a murderess that has already been sentenced and is just awaiting placement in your shirt pocket when you get to prison might not be a bad thing....She would have likely been very interested in cultivating this new "pawn" in all her potential outcomes...If she DID go to prison? She would have a friend already there...

I read this last night but didn't want to post my thoughts because I thought I was being gullible LOL. I do find her credible especially since she has nothing to gain by doing this. I didn't like a few parts though, especially in the beginning when KB was talking with her about her case. I did not like how she stated something along that lines that is could have been me or her we were both wrapped up in bad things..that didn't sit well with me and I bet it didn't sit well with the poor family of the murdered 15 year-old. It seemed to me she feels that she is so above KC because she didn't kill a child. Bottem line is she killed someone, someones child. I felt a little like she was placing herself above other people and I didn't like that at all.

I read this last night but didn't want to post my thoughts because I thought I was being gullible LOL. I do find her credible especially since she has nothing to gain by doing this. I didn't like a few parts though, especially in the beginning when KB was talking with her about her case. I did not like how she stated something along that lines that is could have been me or her we were both wrapped up in bad things..that didn't sit well with me and I bet it didn't sit well with the poor family of the murdered 15 year-old. It seemed to me she feels that she is so above KC because she didn't kill a child. Bottem line is she killed someone, someones child. I felt a little like she was placing herself above other people and I didn't like that at all.
She didn't kill her own child though...I think that is what she was saying. And she was saying that SHE could have been the one who wound up dead instead of the girl she killed. The place they were at in life was no good, and they were BOTH in jeopardy and she knows it could as easily have been her dead is what I think she was telling us...

And as to someone putting themselves above KC in crime land? She better get used to it because good or bad, the reality IS that people who kill, abuse, molest small children are bottom feeders in the tank...:blushing:

I think what Maya meant was that both girls were gang members and for some reason it was thought that Jackie was being a traitor to the gang. Maya may have meant that it could have easily happened to her either being fingered as a traitor or just doing the bad things that gang members do.

That's how it took it anyway.

One of the reasons that I dont find her story believeable is because it has changed since the beginning. Chloroform was not mentioned in her statements to investigators, so I have to question why now? I also find it curious that RAs Dad visited her in jail.

I can see why many would find the chloroform issue troublesome - I do too. But even if it was inaccurate, or she came to the conclusion later that it was chloroform, I don't think that cancels out the credibility of her story. In the second part of the interview, she admitted that she wasn't sure whether she used that word to describe it - but you gotta think - if someone doesn't know how to pronounce the word, doesn't know what it is, why would it be significant enough to her to tell someone? If she speaks with someone and describes what is going on, and then someone educated her on what it was, she might have an "ah ha" moment where something that may have only been said in passing now may be something important and she contacts LE again to let them know that something she didn't think was significant really is. Additionally, she says enough in my mind about RA to show that they weren't in on coming out with matching stories. There are plenty of differences in there stories, enough that she even mentions surprise at some of the things RA did.

I don't know, I've gotta say, I'm a pretty skeptical person, but I agree with someone else on the forum (can't remember who it was) who remarked on how at peace she is. She views her incarceration as something that turned her life around, and especially being a gang member, I'm certain she feels safer and in a better environment than if she were still on the streets. I doubt at this point shaving a year or two off of her sentence isn't really going to make that big of a difference.

I think what Maya meant was that both girls were gang members and for some reason it was thought that Jackie was being a traitor to the gang. Maya may have meant that it could have easily happened to her either being fingered as a traitor or just doing the bad things that gang members do.

That's how it took it anyway.

I agree. I thought it was a very insightful thing for her to say. I think a lot of us are on the outside looking in, and we have no idea what it's like to be in a gang. Further, they were only two years apart - they were both kids - when you're a kid yourself, you don't view someone in your peer group as a child. It is definitely not the same as killing your own two year old.

It seemed to me she feels that she is so above KC because she didn't kill a child. Bottem line is she killed someone, someones child. I felt a little like she was placing herself above other people and I didn't like that at all.

I understand where you are coming from MD Mommy, so hopefully I'm not coming across too harshly, but in a way, she is above KC. We are all sinners (yes, I know, most of us aren't murders) - but I truly believe that what sets us apart from others is assuming responsibility for your actions with honesty and resolving to change. She has come full circle with her crime, and she can now move forward and build a better life, because at some point, she started doing the right thing. KC has yet to do that.

I'm not entirely convinced with all she has to say, especially the chloroform bit.

Memories are funny things, and I think she more likely overheard the word Chloroform on the news, than directly from KC.

I don't think she's deliberately lying, just trying to give as much info as she can, and getting a few things mixed up.

She may say she's happy with her sentence, and doesn't expect or want anything in exchange for her testimony, but that doesn't mean she's not hoping that she might get something in return.

She's learning (unfortunately a little too late late) that you get rewarded for positive behaviour within the legal system.....and I really think that she's trying to do the 'right thing'. But I think she's on a bit of a 'the truth will set you free ' high, after years on the street and being a top-ranking gang member.

The other bit I'm uncomfortable with, is that with her own crime, she says she came forward purely of her own accord.

In an article I read after watching this interview ,it said that someone had already called LE and tipped them off , that it was one of two people in jail, connected to the car-jacking. Wish she had've mentioned that in the Belich interview. Thats more definitive than "all the pieces of a jig-saw without the picture."

She's definately more honest than KC but maybe a little too eager to please, to be praised, to be viewed as better and above other killers .

Don't get me wrong, I do think she's come a long way, and she is really trying to better herself, but inconsistancies don't ever go over well, especially from a convicted killer.

The defense won't be questioning her the same gentle way that Belich did.

JMO

ETA:

http://florida-issues.blogspot.com/2007/10/jailed-orange-teen-admits-she-killed.html

Then someone made an anonymous phone call about a week ago to Crimeline.

The tipster said two people involved in the death had been picked up within weeks of the killing in connection with an armed carjacking near Chickasaw Trail. Those two, awaiting sentencing in jail, were Derkovic and Tolbert.

first impressions about the video:
It seemed to me that she got the chloroform part from a written source and not from hearing it in a conversation because she wasn't remembering it by how it sounded but trying to pronounce it by its letters.
Also, her body language when talking about the supposed conversations with Casey (in which Casey supposedly confesses all this stuff to her- LOL!) appears deceptive: the embarrassed laughter, the swallowing, the inappropriate smiling, the breaking of eye contact, the raising of her eyebrows, the touching of her face, the shaking of her head, trying to hide behind hair, etc. I was embarrassed watching it. She was doing that fake half-smile most of the time and acting very amused with what she was saying. During some parts of the interview she seems less deceptive and these mannerisms stop, when talking about more everyday topics.
She seems awfully impressed with herself, doesn't she? You'd think she was a saint. And she's actually quite smooth, especially for her age. That's very hard to watch. Of course it is very sad to see any person who is so young, and apparently intelligent, having gone down such a wrong path for whatever reason, very sad. Sadder of course for her victim, the victim's family, and MD's family also.

Anyway, it sounds like she's pretty much just regurging the popular rumors because in reality, I don't think chloroform would be very useful for drugging a child for the night, I don't think it lasts long at all, it's more of something that an assailant might use (in old times anyway maybe not today) to instantly knock someone out, but they would wake up in a matter of minutes I thought. But not to drug someone to sleep for the night, I don't think it works like that. And how could she have it hanging around, where would she keep it, etc. Seems unlikely. IMO
I would be more inclined to think if Casey ever had chloroform in her trunk, it was for another purpose.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back