Ireland Ireland - Sligo, WhtMale, 50-70, aka 'Peter Bergmann', prostate cancer, Jun'09

What an intriguing case. It cannot be Larry Riegal because " Peter Bergmann died June 09 and Larry Riegal went missing December 09. Its difficult to see exactly how old he looks but I would say sixties but having terminal cancer will age you. What I do fing amazing is him not having pain relief as my late father had prostate cancer which spread to his bones and he was in agony.

Ok, I'll try and get to the point here because I am from Derry, where this Peter Bergmann is known to have begun his journey.
I should say that the first myth I want to dispel is that "Derry is not really an international access point, and has local only flights". I see this point made in several online discussion forums and it is simply not true. In 2009 the airport reported figures of 345,857 passengers for the whole year, as per Wiki.
I think it should be known that we have one of the physically smallest airports in Ireland, much smaller than those in Belfast (with two both Belfast International and Belfast City) and the much larger airport in Dublin. If someone wanted to arrive in Ireland under the radar, Derry is the place to do it. My wager is that this man arrived in Derry on the morning of Friday June 12th, 2009. These daily flights typically arrive in the morning from as early as 6.30am and it is not possible to get a train to the bus station he was seen at from the airport. He has likely taken a taxi from the City of Derry airport to the city centre, or a bus which would have put him at the bus depot directly, earlier that morning or the few days prior to a city centre hotel. Very few people on these flights in ever have more than handluggage and from what I can tell this man was also travelling light. I think it is also worth pointing out that he was seen at the depot between 1400 and 1630. Most city centre hotels in derry have check out for 11 or 12, and all are within a 5 to 10 minute walk from the bus depot. If he arrived in Derry in the days prior and stayed in a city centre hotel, I find it hard to believe, if not impossible that he has not been seen on any of the other cctv in the city centre on the walk to the depot. Our city centre is so small that I have no doubt his journey to the depot could be traced all the way back to the hotel reception he started at. If he did in fact came straight from the airport in the early morning he would have had to have hung around the depot until the evening before catching the bus to Sligo. Either of these scenarios is possible. Surely it can be established how long he was in the depot for, and which direction he came from? Regardless, I'm very much settled that his stay in derry was a short one.
I want to say that we do have flights in each morning from London, Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow (all Ryanair) and it has been that way for a long time. To me, I can't fathom why it has not been possible to simply search the airline manifests for the day of the 12th or the couple of days before into City of Derry from England, for any germanic name or a similar date of birth and work backwards from his point of origin which is undoubtly one of the larger english mainland airports such as London or Liverpool. Everyone in this case is trying to solve it via what happened in those last days in Sligo, I think if we find out how he got to Derry, the mystery will be solved.

Finally, I too have tried the missing person databases in my spare time these last few hours and although some attempts have been made to link certain missing people to the case, the wiki report clearly has him down as being 5'10.5" tall (roughly 1m 80), having also been described as tall by those who have seen him in Sligo. Some of the leads in this thread are to people considerably smaller.

On the point why this person wanted to go to Sligo, this is the birthplace and burial place for Yeats, one of the most famous writers ever. If this person is indeed of foregin origin and speaks english, he has likely encountered Yeats somewhere along the way of his studies if he got to a proficent standard. He has been described as looking like a professional working man and I am basing this assertion off that fact. Sligo, to a lot of Irish people, isn't really known for much else other than being the home and final resting place of Yeats.

The last thing I want to say is that the comparables to the Tamam Shud case are quite amazing and I would be suprised if this person had never heard of it and wasnt trying to emulate certain aspects of it. For what reason is anyones guess.

Apologies if that was all a bit of a ramble, but this is my first post here and I created an account for it.

Maybe someone will find it useful.

Find out how he got to Derry, thats the key here IMHO.

Peter Bergmann spelled with both one or two n is a common swedish name. I am on the our database for missing persons right now and looking on the 2000 to 2009 page. One is standing out and I am going to provide a link. It is in swedish and my translation can be found below.

http://forsvunnapersoner.blogspot.se/2014/05/geth-lindstrom.html

Translation

Gerth Lindström

Missing 2 march 2009
age at disappearance 55
was last seen in Ljungby (skåne)

The 2 of march 2009 Lindström called in sick at work and have been
missing ever since

His car, Opel Astra Combi, was found 4 march by the ferry terminal in Helsingborg
few details on this

The day before he disappeared, march 1, Lindström was seen at a pizzaparlor
in Ljungby

A ticket salesman att HH-Ferries says he sold a ticket to Lindström but it can
not be verified

The Ferries in question are going to Denmark, Copenhagen and the thought of further
travel to Ireland is not that far fetched

Peter Bergmann spelled with both one or two n is a common swedish name. I am on the our database for missing persons right now and looking on the 2000 to 2009 page. One is standing out and I am going to provide a link. It is in swedish and my translation can be found below.

http://forsvunnapersoner.blogspot.se/2014/05/geth-lindstrom.html

Translation

Gerth Lindström

Missing 2 march 2009
age at disappearance 55
was last seen in Ljungby (skåne)

The 2 of march 2009 Lindström called in sick at work and have been
missing ever since

His car, Opel Astra Combi, was found 4 march by the ferry terminal in Helsingborg
few details on this

The day before he disappeared, march 1, Lindström was seen at a pizzaparlor
in Ljungby

A ticket salesman att HH-Ferries says he sold a ticket to Lindström but it can
not be verified

The Ferries in question are going to Denmark, Copenhagen and the thought of further
travel to Ireland is not that far fetched

I mentioned before on this thread that his jaw looked typically Swedish/Finnish.
I just checked the "försvunna personer" database and noticed the facial similarities between Peter Bergman and Sune Karlsson. Sune, a retired engineer from Stockholm went missing in 2007 from Landskrona. He lived alone and had mild dementia. Here is the link with photo:
http://forsvunnapersoner.blogspot.nl/2014/05/sune-karlsson.html
No physical description of Sune is given on the page. His car was found in the downtown in 2015.
A Swedish newspaper article about the case can be found at: http://www.hd.se/2010-04-27/sune-ett-av-manga-fall-av-forsvunna
Can Sune be Peter Bergman?

I think the ears on the corpse are different. They don't protrude as much.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Post mortem pic, he looks closer in age to 55 than 70. Very distinct features, chiseled almost.

On the point why this person wanted to go to Sligo, this is the birthplace and burial place for Yeats, one of the most famous writers ever. If this person is indeed of foregin origin and speaks english, he has likely encountered Yeats somewhere along the way of his studies if he got to a proficent standard. He has been described as looking like a professional working man and I am basing this assertion off that fact. Sligo, to a lot of Irish people, isn't really known for much else other than being the home and final resting place of Yeats.

That's an interesting point! Personally, I have an intense dislike of Yeats, so I lack any knowledge of his works that might add to the theory. However, I can point out that the poet I most idolize, Plath, spent her last months, and ultimately committed suicide, in a London flat where Yeats had previously lived. She thought it was serendipity to have the chance to live in Yeats' house, even though the hardships of staying there and the distance from her friends contributed to her final breakdown. Had she not left her house in Devon, she might have lived.

Just stumbled on to this case, and down the rabbit hole I go! This is one I would really like to see a new reconstruction like CarlK does which really lets you see what they may have looked like alive. The CCTV is so blurry, and the angle of the PM pic is a bit awkward. I

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...eworth-moor-in-2015-is-confirmed-david-lytton

Identity of man found dead on Saddleworth Moor confirmed

Quite interesting how this dead man got identified.

There was also another promising lead. A man from Northern Ireland, Sean Toner, contacted police. His father, Hugh, had gone missing from a Craigavon hospital in 1994 and not been seen since. In photos, he bore a resemblance to the man in the CCTV images. But when a DNA sample was taken from Toner, it proved not to be a match.

Interesting too.

Wow, interesting case! This parallels with Lyle Stevik and Joseph Newton Chandler III .All had alias's, addresses that led no where, Lyke and Peter had been in hotels, and Joseph and Peter had been suffering from cancer. And of course Tamam Shud, both were found on a beach.

Some thoughts I had on this case-
  • Was he a fugitive? Had been living under an alias for years like Joseph? He went to some great links to conceal his identity, even ripping his tags out of his clothes.
  • With ripping his tags out of his clothes- could they reveal where he was from? I honestly believe the accent was fake, and that he could have even been American. The clothing could have been brands from a certain country. (concerning that, why does his Wikipedia page say his clothes are from C & A, a popular store in Europe with other locations in Germany and Austria?)
  • Speaking of where he was from- has isotopes been done on him yet?
  • Concerning where he was getting rid of his things- was there any second hand, thrift shop like stores in the area? I doubt he would have went to the same one each time so was there multiple? Another thought I had was if there was any homeless camp/dumping ground type areas?
  • Who really is Peter Bergmann? With Joseph and Lyle we know who they were. A deceased child and a character from a novel. But who is Peter?
  • How did he actually dispose of those small papers he had written on? My guess is he did research before the trip and plotted out his every move so he couldn't be traced through technology easily. But where did he put those papers after reading them?

My own theory is that he was deliberately setting up a mystery.

He knew he was dying, and perhaps had no one left in his life that would miss him, and so set about making himself memorable. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there is a mystery novel somewhere, the circumstances of which he is recreating. Honestly, if he never wanted to be found, if he really wanted to disappear, you don't go to a small city in Ireland where people will remember your interactions, and where your body will be found. You disappear into a metropolis, or you make sure you're never found. I think he wanted people to follow his last movements and try and work out who he was, and what he was about.

I think the trick is separating out what parts of his last few days were meticulously planned and what wasn't, so you can figure out what parts of this scenario were important to him.

That he removed the tags from the clothes is interesting, because they traced the clothes to C&A. That brand doesn't have any stores in Ireland so he brings them with him. Why go to the trouble of removing the tags if you don't want someone to pay attention to the clothes and figure out where they're from? If you want generic, untraceable clothing, he could've gone into Penneys (Primark) in Sligo while he was there and bought whatever he wanted, cheaply, and dumped the clothing he brought with him, as he dumped his belongings.

The other thing that is interesting is that he doesn't seem to have planned the place he was going to die all that far ahead. He asked the taxi in Sligo to bring him somewhere quiet for swimming, he gets the taxi to wait, gets out and has a look around, and comes back and says in the taxi that "it will do." So the exact location wasn't as important to him, as the method? I do think if we could figure out why he chose Sligo, if it was a random choice on his part when got to Derry, or if that was his planned endpoint all along, that would tell you something.

As to where he's from, I doubt the accent was entirely put on, but I wouldn't set all that much store in it being German. In Ireland, we generally don't have a great ear for foreign accents if it's a language we can't speak. The romance languages we're better maybe at telling apart. But I've noticed that languages or rather accents when speaking in English, anything from central up to northern Europe quite often gets lumped together as 'German.' Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Norway, anywhere in that region is possible. Less a chance maybe of Eastern Europe, as I think those languages create a different English accent, and there's a large enough population of people from Poland living in Ireland that people may have been able to detect the difference, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back