Jim, Tammy Faye Bakker's Son Has Punk Ministry

julia said:
I remember the Paint the Lady (PTL) scandal. Although I remember her makeup and I saw her on the VH1 house thing where old celebs hang out and thought she was a hoot. Everyone deserves to die in peace. No one needs pain. Life is hard enough with mistakes we make. I wish her well. Despite what they may have done.
"Whatever Jim Bakker's conscious or neglectful malfeasance, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, the documentary film is convincing that Tammy Faye is a victim. She is outrageous but never insincere. She's a person of some talent, astonishing good humor and inspiring perseverance. Most important, she's a person with a genuine goodness of heart.

I still wouldn't want to watch Tammy Faye sing or listen to her vapid declarations about her relationship with God. But seeing the world through her eyes has opened mine. And I am ashamed for having felt so superior to her, for judging her guilty of things for which she was almost assuredly innocent, for thinking about her and her circumstances with such contempt. And I know this for sure: I would rather stand at her side before the gates of Heaven than to get in the line for judgment headed by the likes of the sanctimonious Rev. Mr. Falwell."

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/mov/revarch/tammyfaye.html

BirdieBoo said:
I watched the show this morning on the sundance channel.

Its a documentary style series about Jay Bakker. It was Jim Bakker, the husband, who was convicted of fraud, and not Tammy Faye. Jim has a new wife and a new TV ministry. He would not return his son's phone calls.

The son, Jay Bakker seems like a really honest-down-to-earth individual. And he loves his dad (despite everything) and was hurt that his dad will not return his phone calls.

Watching that show I said, I feel sorry for that guy, he has a sociopath for a dad.

If you have the Sundance Channel, its on Sundance on demand, its free on our cable system.
Thanks I am going to watch that.

windovervocalcords said:
Perhaps I should not have said "Tammy Faye does not express much anger" to say that I have never heard her express a word of anger.

For the record, it was her husband, Jim Bakker that was convicted of accounting fraud and was shown to have an affair with his secretary. Tammy Faye divorced him. Some judged her harshly for not standing by her man. I always thought Jim Bakker was a snake oil salesman but Tammy Faye I think was naive.

She seems to have a shopping addiction. We all have "something". At least she doesn't seem to have a mean bone in her body.

Her own words are quite profound. And I posted some of them previously.

I think when she dies, she will die peacefully and rest in the profound absolute nature of Love. We should all be so fortunate to practice profound forgiveness, and to die in peace, holding no grudges toward any living being.
You are right, jim was convicted. I think tammy has a good heart and she will be in heaven no doubt in my mind. Nobody deserves to die the way she is, I would not want that for anyone. Except the murderers, SP and so forth. Tammy was his wife so naturally she will get a bad rap. I feel bad for her. I cant help it, I guess I am too sympathetic. I think Jerry Fallwell is a snake in the grass. JMO

Taximom said:
Let's hope their son and daughter learned many valuable lessons from the older Bakker's escapades!

BTW, I feel pity for anyone dying a slow death of cancer, past bad acts or not. I don't know where she's going to end up in the end, but in the meantime, my heart goes out to her and her family. It's a tough thing to go through.

(ducking)

P.S. Now that I think about it, strike "anyone" in my first sentence. Murderers like Peterson, Duncan, et al can die a slow, painful death anytime and I won't feel an ounce of pity towards them.

(ducking again)
I second this. Cancer is the worst.

Frankly, I think Tammy Faye was not intelligent enough to have carried off that whole disaster by herself. She did have a part in it, and lived well off of other people's money, so I do blame her for her participation in that.

If I'm ever a wealthy preacher's wife and buy my dogs an air-conditioned dog house, please come arrest me!

This thread was originally about Jay Bakker and his "church", wasn't it? We sure have gone off-topic! lol

Taximom said:
Frankly, I think Tammy Faye was not intelligent enough to have carried off that whole disaster by herself. She did have a part in it, and lived well off of other people's money, so I do blame her for her participation in that.

If I'm ever a wealthy preacher's wife and buy my dogs an air-conditioned dog house, please come arrest me!

This thread was originally about Jay Bakker and his "church", wasn't it? We sure have gone off-topic! lol
The thing about the air condition in the dog house, I heard them say that is untrue. I think jay said that as well. Who knows, its been so long since all this went down. I of course grew up with my mom and most of my "christian family" watching PTL. I definatly know that they lived well.

During the PTL fallout, I remember seeing video of Tammy giving a tour of their house and the doghouse. I could have sworn that she said it was a/c'd.

With my memory I could be wrong though. There were other excesses, of course. That one just popped into my head.

Taximom said:
During the PTL fallout, I remember seeing video of Tammy giving a tour of their house and the doghouse. I could have sworn that she said it was a/c'd.

With my memory I could be wrong though. There were other excesses, of course. That one just popped into my head.
The doghouses were heated by an old heater.

Really, its ancient history, but the more you look into this whole PTL fraud scandal the more you see the role of Jerry Falwell and his motivation to take over PTL and cancel out the televangelism competition.

windovervocalcords said:
The doghouses were heated by an old heater.

Really, its ancient history, but the more you look into this whole PTL fraud scandal the more you see the role of Jerry Falwell and his motivation to take over PTL and cancel out the televangelism competition.
You are so right.

windovervocalcords said:
Perhaps I should not have said "Tammy Faye does not express much anger" to say that I have never heard her express a word of anger.

For the record, it was her husband, Jim Bakker that was convicted of accounting fraud and was shown to have an affair with his secretary. Tammy Faye divorced him. Some judged her harshly for not standing by her man. I always thought Jim Bakker was a snake oil salesman but Tammy Faye I think was naive.

She seems to have a shopping addiction. We all have "something". At least she doesn't seem to have a mean bone in her body.

Her own words are quite profound. And I posted some of them previously.

I think when she dies, she will die peacefully and rest in the profound absolute nature of Love. We should all be so fortunate to practice profound forgiveness, and to die in peace, holding no grudges toward any living being.
Your post is beautiful Wind.:angel:

Tammy Faye wasn't always so nice to everyone. In 1986 or so, I watching PTL one day, and Tammy Faye was cackling and obviously had too much to drink. She was making fun of 2 midget twin brothers who were guests on the show, saying " I finally met someone shorter than me" and a few other comments. Jim was giving her dirty looks and the brothers were really embarrassed, but she just kept on. When I tried to tell my mother in law about it she just claimed that Tammy was drunk in the spirit but I don't believe that she sent them any more money after that.

txsvicki said:
Tammy Faye wasn't always so nice to everyone. In 1986 or so, I watching PTL one day, and Tammy Faye was cackling and obviously had too much to drink. She was making fun of 2 midget twin brothers who were guests on the show, saying " I finally met someone shorter than me" and a few other comments. Jim was giving her dirty looks and the brothers were really embarrassed, but she just kept on. When I tried to tell my mother in law about it she just claimed that Tammy was drunk in the spirit but I don't believe that she sent them any more money after that.
I am sure you are right that Tammy Faye had her flaws. I just hope when we are dying people remember our positive qualities more than some negative incident that may have happened over twenty years ago we leave this life.

At the very least, may we all think kindly of each other as we lay dying so we may pass out of this life in peace.

When one has wronged tens of thousands of people for the nothing more than money and fail to take responsibility or make amends, then its my opinion that their final days shouldn't be the same as someone who spend their life doing good. They ripped people off and used God's name in doing so. That's worse than any crack dealer on the street.

If we train in letting go of grudges way ahead of the time of our death, then when our moment comes the letting go into peace is easier. Tammy Faye has been preparing well. She has a loving, forgiving heart and no resentment or meanness to anyone.

IMO these are qualities that embody the teachings of her faith.

windovervocalcords said:
If we train in letting go of grudges way ahead of the time of our death, then when our moment comes the letting go into peace is easier. Tammy Faye has been preparing well. She has a loving, forgiving heart and no resentment or meanness to anyone.

IMO these are qualities that embody the teachings of her faith.

I'm not sure what she's got to be resentful or mean about. After all, she's the one who did the ripping off. If someone ripped her off, then she'd have some reason for those feelings. She lived a life way beyond her means on the backs of hard working people. If stealing money from people who can't afford to give so that she can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on things she doesn't mean is a "teaching of her faith," then that's a faith I want nothing to do with.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm not sure what she's got to be resentful or mean about. After all, she's the one who did the ripping off. If someone ripped her off, then she'd have some reason for those feelings. She lived a life way beyond her means on the backs of hard working people. If stealing money from people who can't afford to give so that she can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on things she doesn't mean is a "teaching of her faith," then that's a faith I want nothing to do with.
She is practicing a faith of love and forgiveness. There is not an ounce of bitterness or meanness in her. She is a shining example of the direction to take one's mind and heart to have a happy life, now, and in the hereafter.

I wish her well. I wish you well.

windovervocalcords said:
She is practicing a faith of love and forgiveness. There is not an ounce of bitterness or meanness in her. She is a shining example of the direction to take one's mind and heart to have a happy life, now, and in the hereafter.

I wish her well. I wish you well.

Thanks.

Jeana (DP) said:
:) Jeana

TWO FRIENDS IN THE DESERT

A story tells that two friends were walking through the desert. During some point of the journey they had an argument, and one friend slapped the other one in the face.

The one who got slapped was hurt, but without saying anything, wrote in the sand:

TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE.

They kept on walking until they found an oasis, where they decided to take a bath. The one who had been slapped got stuck in the mire and started drowning, but the friend saved him.

After he recovered from the near drowning, he wrote on a stone:

TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SAVED MY LIFE.

The friend who had slapped and saved his best friend asked him, "After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand and now, you write on a stone, why?" The other friend replied "When someone hurts us we should write it down in sand where winds of forgiveness can erase it away. But, when someone does something good for us, we must engrave it in stone where no wind can ever erase it."

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget
them.

windovervocalcords said:
:) Jeana

TWO FRIENDS IN THE DESERT

A story tells that two friends were walking through the desert. During some point of the journey they had an argument, and one friend slapped the other one in the face.

The one who got slapped was hurt, but without saying anything, wrote in the sand:

TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE.

They kept on walking until they found an oasis, where they decided to take a bath. The one who had been slapped got stuck in the mire and started drowning, but the friend saved him.

After he recovered from the near drowning, he wrote on a stone:

TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SAVED MY LIFE.

The friend who had slapped and saved his best friend asked him, "After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand and now, you write on a stone, why?" The other friend replied "When someone hurts us we should write it down in sand where winds of forgiveness can erase it away. But, when someone does something good for us, we must engrave it in stone where no wind can ever erase it."

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget
them.

I like that. Thanks for sharing!

Tammy's dying but are many other people right now. Doesn't change the facts or history. I've got no use for people who steal from widows and the Bible is full of warnings about that sort of thing, especially to Christians. The couple in first church lied about what they were going to sell and fell over dead as punishment. Christians, especially leaders, are not guaranted a full and healthy life for doing such things and Tammy is known for her works, which was doing Christians wrong. Whether, these people go to Heaven or not is up to God and their true relationship to him, and I sure wouldn't judge that sort of thing but I'm going by what the Bible has to warn and teach about them and not by what other people have to say.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back