LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. She is guilty of what? Why should she deactivate her Facebook? She was strong enough to adopt a child who needed a better environment. She worked hard to provide a good home environment. She has friends who support her on Facebook and now has the relief of knowing the child who brought her so much sadness and burned her home down twice now will not be causing anyone including herself any more pain. Her life is getting better, not worse. I think she should leave her Facebook alone.

I agree with this overall, with the caveat that I do believe it would be a wise idea for her to set her FB to Friends Only.

So how does this get Mickey and her bike into the Truck?
does he bump into ther and say here ill take you home and pay foryour bike to be fixed and put the bike in the back and Mickey gets in ....

Or does he grab her and knock her out and then put the bike in the truck?
She would not just sit there quietly as he puts the bike in the truck right she would run if she could so i think he incapacited her right away.

Just guessing!

After hitting her and knocking her off her bike. He went up to her momentarily as if an accident had occurred and used a stun gun to incapacitate her to get her inside the truck. Probably used handcuffs in some fashion after stunning her into silence.

Would like to know while searching his place if they found those items.
Perhaps in the future it will be told.

This guy for sure is not going to talk. While in prison he had 4 or more appeals, he has at least learned to keep his mouth shut. http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/...bor-recalls-bullying-Lafayette-murder-suspect

From the above linked article:
'Meche (BSL classmate from high school) describes Lavergne as a troubled teen who was harassed at school. "He was bullied a lot," Meche said. "It was really bad. He would never talk to anyone and he didn't have any friends even though he played football. They gave him hell.” Meche said she often felt bad for Lavergne and worried that one day he'd snap, though she never imagined he could harm anyone.'

Just guessing!

After hitting her and knocking her off her bike. He went up to her momentarily as if an accident had occurred and used a stun gun to incapacitate her to get her inside the truck. Probably used handcuffs in some fashion after stunning her into silence.

Would like to know while searching his place if they found those items.
Perhaps in the future it will be told.

Is it totally out of the realm of possibility that if/when he hit her bike with the truck he stopped, got out and apologized and offered her a ride home and she accepted? IMO, some perps can be very charming and/or believably 'helpful' as a way of luring their victims into their trap.

Is it totally out of the realm of possibility that if/when he hit her bike with the truck he stopped, got out and apologized and offered her a ride home and she accepted? IMO, some perps can be very charming and/or believably 'helpful' as a way of luring their victims into their trap.

It is possible, until we know for sure it did not happen.

I don't believe it, but as you say, he may have been able to put on a "Ted Bundy" type front long enough to convince her she would be safe.

Apparently Mickey had a flat tire a few months prior and called a friend to come and get her. She waited for that friend to arrive in their car and didn’t accept help from anyone else. She was also (so it’s been written) very aware of the risks of riding a bicycle at nighttime.

In order for a judge to sign off on an arrest warrant for BSL of this magnitude, I think LE must have a clear indication that a struggle ensued. It may have taken a few weeks for video images from other cameras to be enhanced and perhaps those videos showed Mickey’s bicycle in the back of BSL’s truck and Mickey as an unwilling passenger in the white truck?

People are taking the fact that he didn't rape her/take her virginity as a kindness he did to her or saying it showed he was conflicted about his actions. I sort of disagree. I guess it is possible, but rapists or murdering monsters can show what appears to be "kindness" when really it just serves their own ego somehow or because it makes them feel even more in control (I will ALLOW you to keep your virginity but I COULD take it if I wanted it).
I am not sure if him not vaginally raping her is a sign of him having a heart.

Thanks for the insight. Your absolutely right.

Apparently Mickey had a flat tire a few months prior and called a friend to come and get her. She waited for that friend to arrive in their car and didn’t accept help from anyone else. She was also (so it’s been written) very aware of the risks of riding a bicycle at nighttime.

In order for a judge to sign off on an arrest warrant for BSL of this magnitude, I think LE must have a clear indication that a struggle ensued. It may have taken a few weeks for video images from other cameras to be enhanced and perhaps those videos showed Mickey’s bicycle in the back of BSL’s truck and Mickey as an unwilling passenger in the white truck?

She might have been injured from the hit and more willing to accept a ride from him with promises of going to the ER.

DTL did all of his deeds all by himself.

I didnt want to respond, but for clarification I will. During the whole episode of the oral rape, the girl stated that she was a virgin. He replied that he did not want to take that from her. The statement I made about him being conflicted was that generally a rapist does not consider the feelings of his victim. For whatever reason at that time he considered those feelings and did not rape her. Thus, we could say that he had conflicted feelings about what he was doing. The rest, I don't know.

I disagree!

IIRC after reading the incident report, she TOLD him he was not going to take that from her. He probably did not want that type of struggle to alert others. The report also said she felt something sharp sticking in her side, apparently a knife!

No. Psychopaths are now thought to be caused by a genetic predisposition to violence combined with childhood abuse.

Read this one. It is very interesting.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976

Differences in brain structure
http://www.med.wisc.edu/news-events...w-differences-in-structure-and-function/32979

Pensfan
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

Pensfan, thanx very much for the links..
Dr. James Fallon; neuroscientist hits the nail on the head, imo. I saw this documentary a couple of years ago and was trying to remember his name for the last few days. His studies and the irony that he could have been a serial killer himself, if not for a loving & nurturing family is remarkable..

Just a thought,,,,what if he doesn’t actually have intercourse with his victim(s) but forces them to perform oral sex. I read that he made the girl rinse with mouth wash. Making sure her mouth is clean? Does he believe the women he attacks are too dirty to have intercourse with?

He made her use mouth wash after, thus removing evidence.

J.just curious do you have inside information? Please indicate the information to knowledge of the following:

1. We know he did not hit Mickey - I don't recall recall any confirmation of this
2. Or have Mickey in the truck in these pictures - same here I don't recall any confirmation of this
3. Mickey is not under the truck - I know A.C.I. was told she was not under the truck (do you know if the person that relayed that answer was telling the truth?). I believe that is what A.C.I. was told but ???
4. Her bike is not under the truck (to my knowledge this has never been answered)

Thanks

I never said he did not hit Mickey. We know for a fact that he did hit Mickey. We do know however that he did not hit Mickey IN FRONT OF THE CIRCLE K IN THE PICTURES THAT WERE RELEASED. That's were all the confusion stems from. LE released that Mickey's hit and kidnapping happened between St Landry and St Mary intersection and Blackham Coliseum. That was well down below the Circle K. Therefore she nor her bike can not be under the truck in those pictures that were released. Also LE has multiple pics of the truck cruising around town looking for a victim, which is why they have multiple pics of the DWT. I believe the only picture they have of Mickey and bike in his truck is the one they got just recently from the Advertiser when he was on Bertrand drive when he was making his exit out of town, which was probably more evidence that led to him being arrested since that was handed over on the day of his arrest.

And no I do not have inside information. I have just been following the case from day one and I have listened to what LE have released. And I do not believe LE would ever release a picture of Mickey getting ran over, and that is re-enforced by them saying seeing was kidnapped from an entirely different location.

Imo, the alleged bite mark & scratches on BSL would indicate a violent assault on her..

Please-
Do NOT post about family members.
Please do NOT post about people you think MIGHT be family members.
50-50 chance they are not even related in the first place and the wrong people get linked all the time.

I know Bessie has posted warnings about this already.

It is in our basic etiquette rules and not tolerated unless they are a suspect or a case player or witness and have been opened themselves up for discussion because they are relevant to the case.

If your post was removed it was either for this reason or because you called someone an idiot or other descriptive name which is another TOS/etiquette violation that is not tolerated.

thank you.

I feel compelled to share some private stuff here that maybe can shed a small amount of light on BSL's mindset. It's some thinking I've been doing about psychopaths/sociopaths.

One train of thought here really shook me and made me do some deep thinking.

I have seen several times people talking about the marks of a sociopath:

1. Late bedwetting
2. Being bullied in school/being a misfit.
3. Pyromania
4. Cruelty to animals

This really shook me because all of this describes me when I was young, and it got me thinking about how I was feeling and whether it was in me to do something so terrible to another person. Let me describe the various components as they applied to me and what my mental/emotional reactions were. Maybe this can help a little bit. I am being vulnerable to share this so please be kind.

1. Late bedwetting: I had this problem until I was probably about 8. My parents tried everything - even fake sugar-pill medicine. I had a few accidents at school, too - usually after running around at recess... I think until 2nd grade. I didn't know why it happened - it's like I just didn't have the physical signal to go until it was too late. It made it so I couldn't spend the night at friends' houses, and I had to have a change of clothing at the school office. It was humiliating. I would have to hide in the bushes until after recess and make my way to the school nurse. Made me feel so ashamed and other kids teased me. It went away on its own probably about 3rd grade, and was such a relief. It made me feel like an outcast.

2. Being bullied in school: I was picked on incessantly in school. I was small, considered "too smart" by my classmates (had the second-highest IQ, etc. testing in the school), and kids would pick on me - boys and girls. I got in a lot of fights due to this, and sometimes I'd have 25 kids chasing me all over the school as a gang. School officials were helpless to stop it, and sometimes my recesses would end with me 10 feet up in a tree and a mob of kids throwing things at me or being up on a chain-link fence with kids pulling at my ankle. Ever since then when people ganged up me I would get very defensive and angry and that makes the people pick on me more. (Has actually happened in a couple adult situations on blogs, believe it or not - but not in real life anymore.) Even in middle school, some bully would incite others to gang up on me. One time in 7th-grade band the school bully got a gang of kids and about 10 of them grabbed me off my chair in the middle of a song and while the teacher was watching carried me struggling out of the band room to the lunch quad and shoved me head-first into a trash can and rolled me down a long ramp - rotten food flying all around me, as the gang stood there and cheered. The last time I was bullied was as a sophomore in high school. A bully stood up and announced to everyone sitting around that he was going to pour his chocolate milk on me, so they should watch. This gang had already been following me from class to class - kicking my book bag - stealing my books and throwing them on the roof, etc. I told him quietly not to do that. He laughed. I told him quietly again not to do that. He laughed - then began pouring the milk on me. He was 6 feet tall and I was 5' 4" and small. I stood up and hit him in his solar plexus as hard as I could - and my arms were strong. He collapsed.... then got up coughing and picked me up, threw me against the lockers, then picked me up and started stuffing me into a trash can. A group of senior cheerleaders ran over and stopped the fight. I was the basketball-team ball boy and they knew me and surrounded him and demanded he leave me alone. This was the last time I was bullied. No one ever picked on me again after they saw me fight back. Chris and I became friends after that. He confided to me that he had been seeing a psychologist for his issues, and apologized for bullying me. This experience growing up made me feel alienated from other people - yet when the cheerleaders stopped the fight and others started respecting me, something healed in me there. But I went on to have few friends.... like BSL.... for a long time, until I moved away from that area and had a fresh start. Once the chain of alienation was broken, it was like I got a fresh start and never again did I truly feel like an outcast. But the scars remain - the feelings in me that groups of humans can band together and become a very ugly force. I trust individual humans, but I do not, and never will, trust groups of humans. Groups of human can band together for evil and target individuals to satisfy a group urge to hurt others, and I have never forgotten this. Slightly related - I had skipped a grade due to my "smarts." This put me back socially because other kids in my new grade liked girls earlier than I did - and I was already young for my grade - and so I fell far behind in learning to interact with women romantically - then was teased due to my late non-interest in them. So my relationships with women came much later than many of my classmates, and through life I am still a bit behind in how to relate to women, due to lack of participating in a lot of teen dating, etc. I still have trouble with understanding what makes women tick, and how to get along with them romantically, due to the late start I got in my teens.

3. Pyromania: I loved starting fires and playing with matches. I almost burned my grandfather's shed down as a kid, burning newspapers for fun. When I was older, I would build plastic models of ships and planes and burn them and then save the half-burned models because it was cool how they would melt. Fire has a hypnotic quality for man - anyone standing around a campfire can attest to this strange power. Maybe it's something about having the control to be able to unleash such a powerful force of nature with a book of matches - I don't know. But I can't remember any string of pyromania incidents I did.... other than the above. Some here may remember that I had a big fire at my place last fall, and my shed and garage burned down. That was truly an accident. My landlord has me burn piles of branches now and again, and finally one of the fires sent a popping ember into some pine needles 30 feet away and it started an unstoppable blaze. But I will say that I enjoyed making these fires big because they looked cool. Had the fire not been so big, the ember likely wouldn't have done what it did. On the other hand, I also like big branch fires because you can get the burning done quicker and throw green branches on and still have them burn. So... the pyromania thing for me....not so much - put it this way - I never started a malicious fire....

4. Cruelty to animals: This is where I'm going with all the preceding personal revelation..... the fact that I seem to have all the components to have become someone like BSL has shaken me into this introspection. I wanted to paint a picture for y'all before adding this last part.

When I was young a friend showed me how to use a magnifying glass to torture ants and snails. He and I would sit in his backyard and burn them. What a powerful feeling. Then I would get a can of Raid and hunt down every last survivor until the can went empty. My poor old cat..... I would do crazy things like put him in the bathtub in a big wooden box just to hear him yowl. One time I took a paper bag, filled it with dry beans, tied it to his tail, and laughed as he ran all over the neighborhood trying to get away from the noise.... up on roofs. jumping from tree to tree..... another time I put him in our old station wagon (he hated cars) and got in and started the car, to watch him freak out. This one backfired, as scared cats seek the highest ground, and he ended up atop my head with all his claws dug in.

Neighborhood boys started torturing lizards - sticking firecrackers in their mouths and lighhting them.... At my grandpa's one summer when I was about 10, I spent a day chasing dragonflies around and swatting every one I could find.... then started using a pellet gun to shoot lizards.

All of this sounds like a recipe for a sociopath. And I was a kid who found a dead baby bird once and built a little box for him and took him and buried him and said a prayer for him and my parents still remember that. Was I going to be OK or not? Remember I was about 11. My brain was still developing. My psychological cement was still wet. I had not become the adult I was going to be.

Then something happened I'll never forget. The bully up the block - who I think had been the one teaching my friends to torture lizards, caught a stray cat. I came upon what happened soon after - did not witness it - but my friends did. This is going to really upset animal lovers, so be ready.
The bully put a bottle rocket in the cat's rear end and lit it. The cat died. My friends were all laughing about it. I didn't laugh. I thought of that cat... and how I had a cat.... and how though I pestered him... I loved him. I thought of the pain the stray cat had gone through. Something in me changed right there. It really bothered me what the bully had done. I started thinking about the things I had done. I thought of the dead dragonflies and lizards. I thought of those ants and snails, and how they were going about their business and how a white light came down from their sky and fried them and tortured them for no reason other than that a cruel god - (me and my friend) had decided to end their lives for no reason other than to exert power over them. I felt so small and mean and ashamed - and thought about - what if some capricious god had decided to do the same thing to me... would that have been fair or right? No. It wouldn't have been. Not at all.

From that day on I never intentionally hurt or killed an animal again that I wasn't going to eat. I don't kill spiders - I take them outside. I only kill ants that are biting me. Even if ants get in my house because I didn't take my trash out soon enough, I don't kill them - I take out the trash and wait for them to go away. Once in awhile when I visit my grandpa's old house - he has passed on and we rent it out - I still can see the dragonflies and lizards I killed. When my old cat died – he lived 18 full years – I was full grown. I cried – my dad cried – I built a little box and put in some cat food and things he liked and buried him in a beautiful spot.

What changed in me? What may be the difference between me and BSL? I think I know the answer:

EMPATHY.

My growing brain realized that it’s very unkind to hurt others . I was able to put myself in the position of the creatures I tortured and realize what a terrible thing it is to abuse other creatures just for the fun of it. I try to put myself - knowing myself - in the position of someone like BSL - and ask whether I could do something like that. I immediately think of the suffering family - the pain such an act would cause - the pain of the community - the act of snuffing out a life that had built for 21 years - parents nurturing a new baby - watching it grow.... the days to day growth and joys and tears of another human being like Mickey.... and realize what a breathtaking, horrible act it is to play God over another like that... and how I could never do something to create such pain because of.... EMPATHY.

My brain learned empathy for others. The bully taught me that lesson with the poor stray cat. Empathy is what controls our ability to hurt others. The lack of empathy unlocks the hidden pain we all have in one degree or another - and lets us unleash it upon others. A person without EMPATHY could do something like kidnap or kill someone, without being himself tortured by the crime he has committed against life.

I think BSL never had a stray-cat moment. His brain never developed the connection to the sanctity of life, and God's mandate that we do unto others as we would have done to ourselves.

I thank God that although BSL and I may have some of the same ingredients in our past, our paths were not the same. I pray for BSL and his family, as well as the Shunicks, and mourn that - if BSL is indeed the perp - his life never led him to a moment of empathy.... that he was never able to sort out whatever bad feelings he has... which has led to this awful moment in the lives of both families.

I know that was long, but I felt I had to type that out.... to share how those "red flags" of a sociopath don't always lead to it... but how it takes a personal realization to kick in, before the mind's wet cement has hardened.

It's like BSL just never saw the light.

That guy sure is a stupid criminal.He burns his truck and reports it knowing that the truck is being sought in a possible murder case,which only draws attention to the fact that he owns the same truck and is a Sexual predator.How stupid can you get? Glad he was stupid though ,as it was lucky break for the case.

-
IMO he knew it was just a matter of time before they closed in on him.

I suspect fire destroyed evidence in his truck that he could not have completely removed by cleaning.

The move seems logical to me.

Nah, he wasn't conflicted. He took the case to the state Supreme Court, to try and have it over turned, because he swore it was consensual rough sex. He had tied her up and blindfolded her, snuck into her home at midnight, but tried to stick to the story that it was a consensual night of rough sex.

He ain't talking, imo.

And the judges believed him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members